River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

@acwmom - I received a reply from the Verona TI! 

Here is what they said:

"The stele is of Roman origin and represent a commemorative plaque.

In the most ancient and famous graphic representation of the city "Civitas Veronensis Depicta" or "Raterian Iconography" that was drawn in the X century, you can see that the bridge was adorned by several of them.

The map was destroyed during the French Revolution but, in 1739, Scipione Maffei, man of learning, had done a copy of it which is now conserved in the Verona's Capitolare library.

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Iconografia_rateriana.jpg

http://www.veronaneisecoli.it/index.html

To Scipione Maffei is dedicated the "Museo Lapidario Maffeiano" an important public collection of ancient tombstones and commemorative plaques of different dimensions and origins.

In Verona center there are several Roma steles and inscriptions and some books were written about them."

I can see the stele on the bridge in the copy of the tenth century map - very cool!! I will make it a point to visit the Museo Lapidario Maffeiano when I am next in Verona - lots of very interesting artifacts!

https://verona.com/en/verona/museo-lapidario-maffeiano/#_=_

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Here is what they said:

In the most ancient and famous graphic representation of the city "Civitas Veronensis Depicta" or "Raterian Iconography" that was drawn in the X century, you can see that the bridge was adorned by several of them.

The map was destroyed during the French Revolution but, in 1739, Scipione Maffei, man of learning, had done a copy of it which is now conserved in the Verona's Capitolare library.

To Scipione Maffei is dedicated the "Museo Lapidario Maffeiano" an important public collection of ancient tombstones and commemorative plaques of different dimensions and origins.

In Verona center there are several Roma steles and inscriptions and some books were written about them."

I can see the stele on the bridge in the copy of the tenth century map - very cool!! I will make it a point to visit the Museo Lapidario Maffeiano when I am next in Verona - lots of very interesting artifacts!

Thank you so much for sharing! We loved Verona, and wished we could have stayed longer. If we get a chance to return, I too will visit the Museo.

Robin

3 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Here is what they said:

I want to say Thanks also! I want to go!

Do you remember that we talked briefly last year about a Saint in the Roman Catholic Church called Corona? She is supposed to have lived in Egypt or Syria. By chance, she was also the Saint for plagues, mainly in the Middle Ages. In Bremen in the North of Germany there must have been quite a pilgrimage following as the Dom (cathedral) of Saint Peter has three depictions of her. One is a stone sculpture: BremerDom-SkulpturengalerieWestempore.jp

She is second from the right with her symbol, a crown.

I have never been to Bremen, so was a bit surprised when I looked at the Cathedral website to find out that the church interior is quite colourful. Apparently, there was much colour in the Medieval church but had been kept white in later centuries. At the end of the 19th century the restorers went back to colour, but influenced by a Byzantine colour scheme. You can walk through the Dom virtually and even under the organ (it is marked with an arrow onto a door): http://www.stpetridom.de/Panorama/Domrundgang.html

Bremen is on the Weser river and you can go on a river cruise on that river, by the way, but sailings are not frequent.

notamermaid

Thanks for the link, Jazz. Thinking about an RS3 or an RS5 for my next one. Waiting to see if European delivery is going to be an option for 2022. Chris absolutely loves her RS5 sportback and I'm ashamed to say that it makes my S6 feel sluggish. So I might have to upgrade soon.

This morning we saw this guy in our back yard! He stood there for a minute, long enough for me to grab my actual camera, and get a few shots. He was intently watching something on the ground, under our bird feeder - probably a squirrel? He didn't go after it, though, and eventually trotted off.

Beautiful coat of fur, and love that fluffy tail!

DSC_4105_edited-1.thumb.jpg.8348a3768c7f1fa34446adb56a8fff1f.jpg

DSC_4111_edited-1.thumb.jpg.3faacb783510f8d37622c1ee6d6ce8b3.jpg

DSC_4113_edited-1.thumb.jpg.ce85e423020ed7b299fedf7985e0dccc.jpg

DSC_4114_edited-1.thumb.jpg.100cba24cf8273ba6629b4f9f8d64aa6.jpg

Great sighting. I saw another fox a few weeks ago while I was on the treadmill - he ran past the window and I got a low-res cellphone shot. This was a much better photo op.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Thanks for the link, Jazz. Thinking about an RS3 or an RS5 for my next one. Waiting to see if European delivery is going to be an option for 2022. Chris absolutely loves her RS5 sportback and I'm ashamed to say that it makes my S6 feel sluggish. So I might have to upgrade soon.

This morning we saw this guy in our back yard! He stood there for a minute, long enough for me to grab my actual camera, and get a few shots. He was intently watching something on the ground, under our bird feeder - probably a squirrel? He didn't go after it, though, and eventually trotted off.

Beautiful coat of fur, and love that fluffy tail!

DSC_4105_edited-1.thumb.jpg.8348a3768c7f1fa34446adb56a8fff1f.jpg

DSC_4111_edited-1.thumb.jpg.3faacb783510f8d37622c1ee6d6ce8b3.jpg

Great sighting. I saw another fox a few weeks ago while I was on the treadmill - he ran past the window and I got a low-res cellphone shot. This was a much better photo op.

Awesome pics!

The red stands out against the snow.

• Thanks 1

I finally got my COVID vaccine despite my state handling things strangely. Our state has prioritized 90% on age and 10% on essential employees (after medical people were vaccinated). Their ranking of the 10% doesn't necessarily take into account who has interactions with people. For example - a friend at my cable/internet company who does customer service from home was vaccinated early on.

Thank God for the Federal Pharmacy program. My city (and the other large city where I live) was sort of shut out of that in the beginning but not anymore. Thanks to Biden's call for Educators - many educators in my area were able to easily score vaccines starting Thursday (mine was Saturday) and several are scheduled this next week. All of a sudden - we had several pharmacies now part of that program and I literally had a choice of which vaccine to get depending on where I wanted to go. I went with the Moderna one as I wanted my vaccine on Saturday so I would have Sunday to be home and that was the first pharmacy I picked. So far, all is good. 

My county is just starting to vaccinate those 65-71. Our state is not taking health conditions into consideration at this point but may after those over 50 have been taken care of. This has been the most strange process ever. It is bizarre how each state can handle things do differently.

Where I live (before the pharmacy program) - you signed up with the State/County and then they called you when your age group was selected. You were then invited to mass vaccination clinics of 2500-8000. They tried 5000 the first time and that didn't work well, dropped down to 2500 and that worked well but are trying 8000 on Monday.

My second vaccine will fall over Easter weekend.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Both my daughter and sister have their second Moderna shots on Easter Sunday at CVS.  I suggested they see if their anxieties are calmed by possibly free candy!!

That is it -- celebrate with Reeces peanut butter eggs......Those are so addictive. That and Cadbury mini eggs. 🙂 

• Like 2

@jpalbny, we had some nature excitement as well here in MA.  We have small downy, hairy, and red-bellied woodpeckers come to our suet feeders, but this morning I was outside and thought I was hearing a jackhammer on a tree in the woods, followed by a Woody Woodpecker cartoon laugh!  Got the binoculars and camera out and found the source:  a pileated woodpecker.  These guys are HUGE, and are rather shy, staying in the deeper woods.  

IMG_1407 (2).JPG

IMG_1403 (2).JPG

• Like 6

Wow, @sharkster77! That is a great picture.

We saw one of these last year, but like you describe, it stayed well-hidden and my pictures are pretty crummy. This is the best I could do.

1304173763_PileatedWoodpecker.thumb.jpg.e55f7d79f6951d89686e04f29fa7346d.jpg

And it looks like it had a nest there so I'm surprised we never saw it again. Will have to look to see if someone uses this nesting spot this Spring. So pretty, until they start pecking at your wood siding!

• Like 3

Speaking of Reese's peanut butter eggs, there are new ones out this year that are all peanut butter - filling and coating.  I'm a purist, and if it's not p.b. and chocolate, it ain't a Reese's.

Whomever thought of combining p.b. and chocolate should get the Nobel Prize in Chemistry.  😄

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Coral said:

I finally got my COVID vaccine despite my state handling things strangely. Our state has prioritized 90% on age and 10% on essential employees (after medical people were vaccinated). Their ranking of the 10% doesn't necessarily take into account who has interactions with people. For example - a friend at my cable/internet company who does customer service from home was vaccinated early on.

Thank God for the Federal Pharmacy program.

Way to go!

21 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Both my daughter and sister have their second Moderna shots on Easter Sunday at CVS.  I suggested they see if their anxieties are calmed by possibly free candy!!

Great news. More and more people are getting it.

@sharkster77 & @jpalbny, I have at least one family of Pileated Woodpeckers living round here, they get at trees in the creek behind us while at the same time in the tree in the front of the house.  You are welcome to them anytime... 🙂 I don't mind them in the middle of the day, but when we want to relax in bed early in the morning....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For Easter eggs I tend to stick to German ones. Aldi does quite a nice one of milk chocolate filled with some praline chocolates. Or I will buy an Easter bunny handmade by a local bakery. Hmm, I have got a lamb-shaped cake tin, I should use that this year.

notamermaid

5 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

For Easter eggs I tend to stick to German ones. Aldi does quite a nice one of milk chocolate filled with some praline chocolates. Or I will buy an Easter bunny handmade by a local bakery. Hmm, I have got a lamb-shaped cake tin, I should use that this year.

notamermaid

It's been a long time since I've seen a lamb cake.  The Eastern European bakeries in Pittsburgh, especially the Polish ones, would sell them at Easter.  My aunt would always buy us one and we thought it was the greatest thing.  

11 minutes ago, Roz said:

It's been a long time since I've seen a lamb cake.  The Eastern European bakeries in Pittsburgh, especially the Polish ones, would sell them at Easter.  My aunt would always buy us one and we thought it was the greatest thing.  

One year when I was 10 or so, my March birthday fell on Easter. My grandparents bought me a lamb cake. Agree it was pretty cool!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

@sharkster77 & @jpalbny, I have at least one family of Pileated Woodpeckers living round here, they get at trees in the creek behind us while at the same time in the tree in the front of the house.  You are welcome to them anytime... 🙂 I don't mind them in the middle of the day, but when we want to relax in bed early in the morning....

They are so LOUD that I wonder what kind of headaches they get!

Read a study where a university was studying woodpecker skull structure in order to maybe get tips on designing safer football helmets (US football, not futbal).

• Like 1

@sharkster77, just keep an eye on the trees they are poking around in, as they are after bugs.  The trees in our creek, we don't care about, but we aren't overly fond when they are in the one in front of our house.  They will make a mess of the trees....