River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

Texasstar I cannot think of a better excuse. Both three wheelers had strange controls a mixture of car and motorbike. The rumour was that Messerschmitt built too many cockpits for their aeroplanes and the car was developed to use them up. True or not I don’t know! CA

10 hours ago, Coral said:

I watched "The Last Cruise" on HBO Max which documents the infamous Diamond Princess cruise that had the COVID-19 cases that was docked in Japan.

I also watched this documentary and found it an eye-opener. At the time, I recall some live streams posted by passengers on this particular cruise & they were quite frightening - this documentary was much more broad in its scope. 

Great photo of the Messerschmitt @Canal archive - strange looking vehicle. The only Messerschmitt of which I was aware was the circa WWII aircraft - had no idea there was such a car. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Kabinenroller

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Texasstar I cannot think of a better excuse. Both three wheelers had strange controls a mixture of car and motorbike. The rumour was that Messerschmitt built too many cockpits for their aeroplanes and the car was developed to use them up. True or not I don’t know! CA

Unfortunately, the English Wikipedia does not give the reason for the Messerschmitt arrangement. The German Wikipedia says that the Messerschmitt company was the manufacturer of aeroplanes but after the war the company was not allowed to produce aeroplanes, so the owner Willy Messerschmitt agreed to produce the cars. The name Messerschmitt was then adopted, before that the design had a different name.

notamermaid

3 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

The German Wikipedia says that the Messerschmitt company was the manufacturer of aeroplanes but after the war the company was not allowed to produce aeroplanes, so the owner Willy Messerschmitt agreed to produce the cars. The name Messerschmitt was then adopted, before that the design had a different name.

Can you provide a link to the German Wikipedia page please?

8 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

I also watched this documentary and found it an eye-opener. At the time, I recall some live streams posted by passengers on this particular cruise & they were quite frightening - this documentary was much more broad in its scope. 

I did follow it quite a bit when it happened and I followed several of the passengers as they were flown here because we have that Biocontainment unit. This was still a different perspective. Not sure when I will feel it is safe enough to get on a large cruise ship again. One of the infection disease doctors shown in the documentary works here - he is the one doctor who is going from room to room asking people if they are going to fly back to the US and telling people they would be better to fly back than stay on the ship (Dr. James Lawler - our local celebrity). 

Edited by Coral

Just now, dogs4fun said:

@Coral - don't you have a special day coming up soon?? 😁 🎂 🎁

If you are referring to my 2nd COVID vaccine - it is today. 3 hours and counting.

If you are referring to birthday #51, 22 days and counting. I have scheduled my first dinner at a restaurant in 21 days. Sort of scared about it! Both friends are now fully vaccinated and I will be also. I have picked a quiet restaurant (at least I hope so). 

• Like 1

Good morning, I had my 2nd on Thursday🙂😃👍

Hope all goes well! I had no major issues at all. A bit of sore arm. I took 2 Tylenol and to

be honest, I slept really well Thursday night!

• Like 1

Have my second shot in two days (Monday).  Dear wife has hers on the 15th.  So on Apr. 29 we will be both fully vaccinated!  (Not like I'm keeping track................)

Mid May we will drive up to Acadia NP for a few days.  Will have our own free-standing cottage with kitchen, all activities there are outside---should be nice and safe.  Sister and her husband, also fully vaccinated, will occupy the cottage next door.  The 6 hour drive will feel like an exotic overseas tour, after being chained to home for over a year!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Mid May we will drive up to Acadia NP for a few days.  Will have our own free-standing cottage with kitchen, all activities there are outside---should be nice and safe.  Sister and her husband, also fully vaccinated, will occupy the cottage next door.  The 6 hour drive will feel like an exotic overseas tour, after being chained to home for over a year!!

I love that part of the country. I have been 2x and have some very wonderful memories there. I hope you have a wonderful time. I would definitely consider that a great vacation for me right now!! Except I have more like 30 hours away.

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

Mid May we will drive up to Acadia NP for a few days.  Will have our own free-standing cottage with kitchen, all activities there are outside---should be nice and safe.  

Lucky you. I think that Maine is a gorgeous state - especially along the coast. 

• Like 1

@Canal archive, was thinking of you last night. We are getting anxious about cruising so have began watching a show on Prime (Amazon).  It's called Britain's Best Canals hosted by John Sergeant.  Every episode he goes off on a new canal in the UK.  Just added another trip on our bucket list now, as they look so nice, and seeing the small villages along the canals would be great.  Also good to see which ones are busy so we know to avoid them. 🙂

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

We enjoyed driving around the park.  Took a special trip to see the Seal Cove Auto Museum, and then toured around.  Really pretty.

We have been to Acadia for at least 30 consecutive years, until last year--an easy drive from MA.  On a terrible rainy day one year we ventured to the Seal Cove Auto museum--what a hidden gem!  A cool collection of mostly Brass Era vehicles quietly assembled by a gentlemen who left it behind for all to enjoy.  My favorite was the small exhibit that explained how cars evolved from bicycles, and not horse-drawn carriages.

Edited by sharkster77

Talking of vehicles and museums: next time you are in the area of Basel, hop over to France. The automobile museum at Mulhouse has been recommended to me. This is it: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cité_de_l'Automobile

Right, need to do some cooking now. Cod and boiled potatoes with side salad.

@jpalbny will get back to you about that Kerner wine. I had heard of it before but did not know that it is also a grape cultivated in the Middle Rhine valley. Will try and get one locally next week.

notamermaid

21 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

We have been to Acadia for at least 30 consecutive years, until last year--an easy drive from MA.  On a terrible rainy day one year we ventured to the Seal Cove Auto museum--what a hidden gem!  A cool collection of mostly Brass Era vehicles quietly assembled by a gentlemen who left it behind for all to enjoy.  My favorite was the small exhibit that explained how cars evolved from bicycles, and not horse-drawn carriages.

I used to love the popovers at Jordan Pond house. I thought I read that some other company took over the place but it looks like it still exits. I wonder if it is the same contractor. I LOVE popovers. If I am feeling well, I will make them tomorrow.

2nd COVID-19 vaccine (Moderna) done! I drove about 20 minutes out of town for it. Pretty drive, pretty day.

I had stopped at Costco and had them check my tires early in the week. On the way - my tire light turned on... The Walmart in this small town didn't have a tire store/area.

I arrived an hour early and they took me. I was back in town and at the Honda dealer at the time of my real appointment (11 am). Costco filled my tires too much. I was going to venture to a small Czech town that has this great bakery that makes Kolaches. I figure if I am sick tomorrow, I am going to crave carbs. Because of the tire light, I ventured back home and didn't go to get Kolaches like I had planned.

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

2nd COVID-19 vaccine (Moderna) done! I drove about 20 minutes out of town for it. Pretty drive, pretty day.

I had stopped at Costco and had them check my tires early in the week. On the way - my tire light turned on... The Walmart in this small town didn't have a tire store/area.

I arrived an hour early and they took me. I was back in town and at the Honda dealer at the time of my real appointment (11 am). Costco filled my tires too much. I was going to venture to a small Czech town that has this great bakery that makes Kolaches. I figure if I am sick tomorrow, I am going to crave carbs. Because of the tire light, I ventured back home and didn't go to get Kolaches like I had planned.

DW and I both found that Modern #2 side effects kick in about the 24-hour mark.  What we craved was sleep.  And extra blankets. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

DW and I both found that Modern #2 side effects kick in about the 24-hour mark.  What we craved was sleep.  And extra blankets. 

At work - we all got vaccinated within a week of each other. Only a few of us got Moderna - most got Pfizer, a few got J & J. They (Pfizer) all got their 2nd one Thursday and were sick on Friday. My boss got Moderna on Wednesday and was sick on Thursday. 

I expect to be sleeping my Easter away and need blankets! I am also hearing the 24 hour mark. Thankfully it will be short lived!

I am glad that most everyone at work got vaccinated (not students yet) - it makes it easier to work around people..... Only a handful chose not to.

Edited by Coral

17 minutes ago, Coral said:

2nd COVID-19 vaccine (Moderna) done!

I am happy for you!

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

I expect to be sleeping my Easter away and need blankets!

I hope that your Easter is better than you expect and that you enjoy a chocolate bunny or two. 🙂

• Like 1