River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

18 hours ago, Roz said:

Speaking of Reese's peanut butter eggs, there are new ones out this year that are all peanut butter - filling and coating.  I'm a purist, and if it's not p.b. and chocolate, it ain't a Reese's.

Whomever thought of combining p.b. and chocolate should get the Nobel Prize in Chemistry.  😄

I found this for the neighbor's college kids, one each!

0-55.jpeg

• Haha 1

We have this Easter stand in our local supermarket of Lindt chocolate. So difficult to go past without buying. Already failed once and bought a small packet of chocolate eggs.

@rcaruso and others who may fancy watching some German language documentaries on geography and history, here is one on the Rhine which has aired and will be repeated on the channel Phoenix. Perhaps a bit demanding, but I know you understand German well, there may be others who have not said so. The time is convenient for parts of the US - middle of the night -, by that I mean you need to go to the live stream when it is our time as advertised - example for this one, the link: https://www.phoenix.de/sendungen/dokumentationen/unser-rhein-a-2022930.html

see the time, makes nice evening watching:

Unser Rhein

Im Fluss der Geschichte
16.03.2021, 03:45 Uhr

It is a two part documentary. There is also one on the Moselle. Have not seen one for the Main yet.

notamermaid

12 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

We have this Easter stand in our local supermarket of Lindt chocolate. So difficult to go past without buying. Already failed once and bought a small packet of chocolate eggs.

@rcaruso and others who may fancy watching some German language documentaries on geography and history, here is one on the Rhine which has aired and will be repeated on the channel Phoenix. Perhaps a bit demanding, but I know you understand German well, there may be others who have not said so. The time is convenient for parts of the US - middle of the night -, by that I mean you need to go to the live stream when it is our time as advertised - example for this one, the link: https://www.phoenix.de/sendungen/dokumentationen/unser-rhein-a-2022930.html

see the time, makes nice evening watching:

Unser Rhein

Im Fluss der Geschichte
16.03.2021, 03:45 Uhr

It is a two part documentary. There is also one on the Moselle. Have not seen one for the Main yet.

notamermaid

I have it up, hopefully I will be able to watch it.  I'm just binge watching Sturm der Liebe from last week right now.  I would really like to see a documentary on the Main too. Thanks for thinking of me.  Vielen Dank!

26 minutes ago, rcaruso said:

I would really like to see a documentary on the Main too.

Now there is a challenge I cannot let go! :classic_biggrin:

This is not necessarily the best one to find but the first images of this cycle trip through the hills and along the Main look promising, from the media library (Mediathek) of Bayerischer Rundfunk: https://www.br.de/mediathek/video/traumpfade-13092019-der-main-radweg-vom-ochsenkopf-nach-schweinfurt-av:5a3c40232a3aa60018b03994

notamermaid

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

@dogs4funHow is your weather today?

🥺Thanks for asking - you must be watching the news.

It is still snowing heavily. Accumulation on my back deck is about a foot. We are expecting another foot to 18 inches before the storm abates sometime tomorrow. When the wind kicks in the drifts will be fun (not). Obviously, I am not going anywhere in the immediate future but have all I need for now - just need to keep clearing an area outside by the dog door as my furry kids will get lost in the snow when attempting to do their duty.  Downside -  I have a vet appointment for my dogs on Monday morning - I am certain that I will need to reschedule.

We need the moisture as most of the state is in drought - last year was particularly severe.

8 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

It is still snowing heavily. Accumulation on my back deck is about a foot. We are expecting another foot to 18 inches before the storm abates sometime tomorrow. When the wind kicks in the drifts will be fun (not). Obviously, I am not going anywhere in the immediate future but have all I need for now - just need to keep clearing an area outside by the dog door as my furry kids will get lost in the snow when attempting to do their duty.  Downside -  I have a vet appointment for my dogs on Monday morning - I am certain that I will need to reschedule.

We need the moisture as most of the state is in drought - last year was particularly severe.

I spoke to my best friend in Colorado Springs last night. Plus, we have parts of our state that are getting hit with your storm. We are getting probably 3-4" of rain today. 

I have more driveway then yard when I downsized to my townhouse. This week, the 7' of piled snow finally melted after having 60-80 F degree temps and I still have cracks in the dirt here. So much for the water from the snow! Hopefully the rain helps us.

When we got hit last month with snow - the biggest issue for pet parents was keeping a snow path for them! Hoping the dogs enjoy the snow but it may seem overwhelming for their size!

Glad it is you and not us 🙂 We are so done (mentally) with snow this year.

Good luck!

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Oh dear, too much snow from the sound of it. We have storms and rain, but not too bad, had warning level 2 here (level goes up to 4 - that basically means do not leave the house). I had to go shopping yesterday which was okay but the sudden gusts make you worry about signs coming loose or plant pots and awnings giving up on their intended positions on and over balconies, so I was glad to be back home. I did see a lovely rainbow though, stretching from behind a church and over to a square to drop down behind some old buildings. It was lovely.

Right - election day! I am off to do my democratic duty.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Winter is over here, and earthquake season is starting.. 🙂 Just a mild one that gave us a good shake.  Hopefully this will be it for the year, but it seems as if when they start this early we are due one or two more minor ones.  I don't count the frost quakes, as they are just annoying.  

Hope all are well...

Edited by Daisi

1 hour ago, Daisi said:

Winter is over here, and earthquake season is starting.. 🙂 Just a mild one that gave us a good shake.  Hopefully this will be it for the year, but it seems as if when they start this early we are due one or two more minor ones.  I don't count the frost quakes, as they are just annoying.  

Hope all are well...

@DaisiWinter is over in your part of the country? I think that is a bit ambitious. Even here in the (relative) warm belt of Canada we can still expect more snow into April (and even very occasionally in May).

2 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

They just closed our interstate in the Western part of our state due to blizzard conditions.

Hang in there! I hope you keep power.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

@DaisiWinter is over in your part of the country? I think that is a bit ambitious. Even here in the (relative) warm belt of Canada we can still expect more snow into April (and even very occasionally in May).

We have had it in June here, and May as well, but for me, if it doesn't need the laneway blown out, winter is over.  I won't be able to access my garden for quite a while because it's still buried under 2 feet of a snow/ice mix, and our our lawn is still snow covered, but the creek is open, and my raccoons are back....I'm saying it's Spring.  

Didn't the groundhog down your way see it's shadow?

IMG_6016.JPG

3 minutes ago, Daisi said:

We have had it in June here, and May as well, but for me, if it doesn't need the laneway blown out, winter is over.  I won't be able to access my garden for quite a while because it's still buried under 2 feet of a snow/ice mix, and our our lawn is still snow covered, but the creek is open, and my raccoons are back....I'm saying it's Spring.  

Didn't the groundhog down your way see it's shadow?

Wiarton Willie didn't see his shadow, which portends an early spring, but I've always felt that there is no difference here between an early spring and 6 more weeks of winter; both get you past mid-March.

You can call it spring if you want to. I won't complain again.

• Like 2

Spring is in the eyes of the beholder, perhaps? :classic_smile: That photo looks lovely winter to me, as that is the amount of snow we get in January. But if you think that the Rhine valley is blooming all over you are wrong. We have one of the warmest areas of Germany but the temperature will go down to minus again, Wednesday and Thursday will even see snow again. I will probably just miss it, but "the hills up the road" will surely see a little. The early daffodils, few blossoms and blue flowers (no idea what they are) in a nearby garden will have a couple of difficult days.

2018 also saw snow in the middle of March and several inches of snow in the hills surrounding the Rhine valley, that is at a height of 150m above sea level and more. That is also the reason why I would not go on a river cruise before 20 March on the Rhine if I had to travel far, i.e. fly from the US or Canada. It may seem warm to many in mid-March but I find it more settled with fewer night frosts from around that date and later and less risk of snow.

notamermaid

7 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Now there is a challenge I cannot let go! :classic_biggrin:

This is not necessarily the best one to find but the first images of this cycle trip through the hills and along the Main look promising, from the media library (Mediathek) of Bayerischer Rundfunk: https://www.br.de/mediathek/video/traumpfade-13092019-der-main-radweg-vom-ochsenkopf-nach-schweinfurt-av:5a3c40232a3aa60018b03994

notamermaid

Interesting to see the start of the Main, not so much about the cities though, I did watch part two but really went quickly over Wurzburg and then on to Miltenburg (which is nice, but I can pass it up).  The owner of the Guest House where we stayed in Karlstadt would play a video of the Main Radweg, only music and showed a lot of video of the cities, not sure where he got that from.  Thank you for thinking of me.

I would like to cycle along the Main for a bit, a pity it was too hot to do last year when we were there.

29 minutes ago, rcaruso said:

I did watch part two

Oh, did not see there was a part two. Ochsenkopf, I have been on that mountain. Brings back childhood memories. Lovely landscape.

notamermaid

• Like 1

@dogs4funthey get dog food. They are pretty good, they don't damage the house, closest they get to getting in is a nose or paw through the open door while I am feeding them.  They get along ok with the rest of the animals, although they weren't to sure what to think of the turkey we get.  It's fun watching the babies try to figure out if the foxes are friendly, especially if I get young foxes. 🙂

• Like 2

Wow raccoons something we don’t see here! We do have foxes and some years ago and later in the year seeing Cubs playing in the road with a discarded tennis ball our dog decided to join in so funny and our dog was a sheep dog trained border Collie. I never did tell his trainer. CA

• Like 1