Drink package

erllje

We got the RU3 code. We aren't huge drinkers and the only  drinks package we've ever bought was a discounted wine deal once on board. The code wasn't valid on our 11-night Med cruise in October, but it was available on a 9-night Norwegian fjords cruise in July.

That was priced at $1220 (+ £171 taxes) for a balcony without the code, and $1450 (+ taxes) with the 'free' Cheers package. Apparently, the Cheers price for the cruise without the code would have been some $550pp, according to our PvP.

So in reality it's not a giveaway, but is a significant discount - probably more significant on longer cruises.

• Like 2

We were already booked for October 2021 on the Mardi Gras with a Canadian resident rate (refundable).  We had a $50 OBC with that rate as well as $600 OBC for a previously cancelled cruise.  We had booked and paid for the CHEERS package back when it was on sale for 20% off.  Our travel agent was able to get the RU2 code applied while keeping our current room.  We lost the $50 obc, our rate went up $190 total and we are now non-refundable but that is fine with us!  We ended up saving about $500USD.

Edited by Sugar67

13 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

We've never purchased cheers, should reach platinum on our next cruise, and received the cheers email.  We usually purchase the soda plan and buy a few drinks during the cruises. Maybe they are sending it to everyone.

You are in their target market, that's why you got the offer.  Did you get code RU2?  

You normally don't buy it, so it would make sense to try to entice you to book with the Free (but not really) Drink Package.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

You are in their target market, that's why you got the offer.  Did you get code RU2?  

You normally don't buy it, so it would make sense to try to entice you to book with the Free (but not really) Drink Package.

I am not sure what code it was when I booked it.  I did do a mock booking without it and the mock booking with no cheers plan was only a total of $140 less.  

This is what it states on my booking:

CONGRATULATIONS, CHEERS! AND BOTTOMLESS BUBBLES ARE INCLUDED IN YOUR BOOKING*
*CHEERS! (for guests aged 21+) and Bottomless Bubbles (for guests aged 20 and below) are included based on a promotional rate code associated with your booking. Applicable for promotional booking rate code: RX1 and a maximum of 2 Passengers in a cabin. *(If you cancel or change the booking, the offer will no longer be valid. Non-refundable.)

Edited by TNcruising02

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I am not sure what code it was when I booked it.  I did do a mock booking without it and the mock booking with no cheers plan was only a total of $140 less.  

This is what it states on my booking:

CONGRATULATIONS, CHEERS! AND BOTTOMLESS BUBBLES ARE INCLUDED IN YOUR BOOKING*
*CHEERS! (for guests aged 21+) and Bottomless Bubbles (for guests aged 20 and below) are included based on a promotional rate code associated with your booking. Applicable for promotional booking rate code: RX1 and a maximum of 2 Passengers in a cabin. *(If you cancel or change the booking, the offer will no longer be valid. Non-refundable.)

RX1... first I’ve seen of that one. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 1:33 PM, drsel said:

Carnival would most likely NOT offer RU2 to anyone who has paid for the Cheers package anytime in the past.

And its sad, because these generous patrons are being snubbed/ignored

This is a Carnival players club promotion that’s why it wasn’t offered to all. 

2 hours ago, CthyC said:

what is the difference between RU2, RU3 and RU9?

Someone above said elsewhere they were comparing and ru3 might be the best, but I've heard early on some only had to pay extra $50. I think mine is extra 186, I am solo so in effect I'm paying for my invisible friend to drink. If 2 of us would be worth it. 

I must have picked a popular sailing as we seem to have a extra large roll call already and my price is up $20. Lol clearly my sailing is filling up. Looks to be a fun group. Good pick on my part, even if accidental :) .cant wait for my guys burgers.

• Like 2

So for my continued amusement, I just did a mock booking for an 8-day in Dec 2021, balcony cabin.  My offer code is RU9.

With the "free drinks" package, the price is $470 more vs a Fun Saver rate.  Per person.  Since that includes the drink gratuities, that is a savings of...$20 pp.

Yeah, no thanks.  Yeesh.  Practically insulting.

EDIT: the next rate up from Fun Saver was $60 more pp, with a $50 OBC, or net $35 more pp, which is the equivalent to the drink package offer I suppose, in that it let's you pick your cabin.  Still not a great deal.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

17 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

So for my continued amusement, I just did a mock booking for an 8-day in Dec 2021, balcony cabin.  My offer code is RU9.

With the "free drinks" package, the price is $470 more vs a Fun Saver rate.  Per person.  Since that includes the drink gratuities, that is a savings of...$20 pp.

Yeah, no thanks.  Yeesh.  Practically insulting.

EDIT: the next rate up from Fun Saver was $60 more pp, with a $50 OBC, or net $35 more pp, which is the equivalent to the drink package offer I suppose, in that it let's you pick your cabin.  Still not a great deal.

Yeah RU9 seems to be the short end of the stick. 

57 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Yeah RU9 seems to be the short end of the stick. 

That's what I received in my email.  Savings of about $70 total but I don't think we can use up our OBC on other stuff effectively so I'm passing on this "free, not free" promo.  Sorry, not sorry😜

• Like 1

I have Cheers paid for on our March 27th cruise.  I recieved the free Cheers offer about a week ago with a Dec 13th "book by" date.  Having 3 other cruises booked at the moment i didnt see any way i could use it short of cancelling a cruise and rebooking it again and honestly after comparing prices im pretty sure its about as free as NCL's drink package(which aint).  Today i saw the "book by" date was changed to January 8th now so maybe if my March 27th cruise is cancelled i can refund the Cheers I paid for and rebook with the "free" package before then.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, highcorral25 said:

I got RU2.  It added $240 for 6 Day and $260 for 7 Day

I booked the Freedom mid November 2021 for the extra $240.  Got a Scenic Ocean View cabin.

Lucky you.  That is by far the best cabin I've ever had, including various types of balconies.

I'm still irritated that Carnival moved the Freedom away from Galveston.

16 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

Lucky you.  That is by far the best cabin I've ever had, including various types of balconies.

You and me both BMAS. I was really looking forward to sailing on her at end of Feb. 2021. Not to be. Now we won't be able to sail on her until(if) she returns back to Galveston.  Damn virus. 

43 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

Me as well! Our Freedom cruise was canceled due to Harvey, and we never got back to it. 😔