King James.....

mouche

Perhaps LeBron (aka the goat) wants to work for another cruise company is the reason he has asserted ownership of "King James."

King James was first used to identify a translation of the Bible in 1611. Due to age it has long passed into public domain and can be used by anyone unless trade marked for use in a specific trade or business.

No one would be confused by a basket ball player and a cruise ship using the same trade mark. An example is Apple computer and Apple records. Everyone knows the difference.

Carnival does have a trade mark registered in the UK "King James." There is a long tradition of naming ships for British monarchs. 

The article above misstated the value of Carnival at $2.99 billion. Today it is worth $22.24 Billion, or about 50 times what LeBron has in his kitty.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Moviela said:

The article above misstated the value of Carnival at $2.99 billion. Today it is worth $22.24 Billion, or about 50 times what LeBron has in his kitty.

Good catch; $2.99B was their 2019 net revenue.

I find this statement more interesting: " Carnival Corp. was fine paying attorney fees for 15 months, but quickly gave up on that once James got involved. The company didn’t even put up a fight."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Good catch; $2.99B was their 2019 net revenue.

I find this statement more interesting: " Carnival Corp. was fine paying attorney fees for 15 months, but quickly gave up on that once James got involved. The company didn’t even put up a fight."

Yes, I think (as the story alludes) that maybe Arison's past (and maybe current) relationship with LeBron was a major factor in dropping the legal proceedings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joepeka said:

Yes, I think (as the story alludes) that maybe Arison's past (and maybe current) relationship with LeBron was a major factor in dropping the legal proceedings.

I'm more curious to know if Arison knew of Carnival's plan to name a ship "King James" in the first place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moviela said:

Perhaps LeBron (aka the goat) wants to work for another cruise company is the reason he has asserted ownership of "King James."

King James was first used to identify a translation of the Bible in 1611. Due to age it has long passed into public domain and can be used by anyone unless trade marked for use in a specific trade or business.

King James himself predates the translation of the Bible published during his reign.

I guess the rumor is it was going to be the name of a P&O cruise ship.

Yawn....who cares about a league where the players decide who plays where to get a “championship”.  Let him have it...The king might want to look at the viewership for this last walk in the park, they sucked.  The once grand league is a joke...good riddance.  

• Like 4

They could easily get around 'him' by adding a numeral after King James.  After all, there were seven kings James.  The first six were of Scotland, and number 6 became James 1 of England.  And he was the one who decreed the new translation of the bible which became known by his name.  There is a book by Adam Nicolson called God's Secretaries: The Making of the King James Bible.  It's an interesting read if you are into that sort of thing.  I have owned the soft cover edition, and the ebook is on my Kindle.  EM

Well in part, this suit it just LeBron's egoistical, better-than-thou, attitude toward anyone not paying homage.  Which also explains why he's jumped teams a lot.

Historically, I believe Cunard always named ships after royalty, so naming a ship "King James" isn't so unusual.

20 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Kind of like the 2021 Superbowl - if it happens. The NBA did a lot better at dealing with Covid than the NFL is.

NBA had 330 players in their bubble and they only did the a few games and the playoffs. Most of them were gone when the playoffs started.

NFL has 1700 players and they’re doing a full season. They’re doing a heck of a job under the circumstances.

Compare it to college football. My college has hasn’t played in 5 weeks because the opposing teams have canceled every week.

NBA is about to start back up and they won’t do a full season bubble.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

NBA had 330 players in their bubble and they only did the a few games and the playoffs. Most of them were gone when the playoffs started.

NFL has 1700 players and they’re doing a full season. They’re doing a heck of a job under the circumstances.

Compare it to college football. My college has hasn’t played in 5 weeks because the opposing teams have canceled every week.

Don’t go confusing the issue with facts, it derails the discussion.  

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Some NFL players opted out, but we'll see if they complete the season.

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Some NFL players opted out, but we'll see if they complete the season.

67 players out of 1700 opted out. Insignificant players many of them weren’t likely to make a roster. They took guaranteed money by opting out. Some weren’t even on rosters but they “opted out.”

Edited by Saint Greg