Club Balcony Suites - anything special? (or just go to Haven)

zitsky

I did a search but didn't find much.  Is there anything special about the Club Balcony Suites?  Or should I just go to the Haven, which of course, is more expensive and maybe more limited in cabin locations?

We did a South America cruise with NCL about 2 years ago and really liked it.  We were given access to Cagney's, I think, because I was a volunteer host of the Meet and Greet.  We enjoyed that.  I'm willing to pay more for the Haven if that's a good experience.  I'd just like to find a cabin mid-ship which maybe is not where the Haven is.

I researched the Balcony Suites because we may possibly have two adults and one child in the cabin.  Not quite sure yet.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I did a search but didn't find much.  Is there anything special about the Club Balcony Suites?  Or should I just go to the Haven, which of course, is more expensive and maybe more limited in cabin locations?

We did a South America cruise with NCL about 2 years ago and really liked it.  We were given access to Cagney's, I think, because I was a volunteer host of the Meet and Greet.  We enjoyed that.  I'm willing to pay more for the Haven if that's a good experience.  I'd just like to find a cabin mid-ship which maybe is not where the Haven is.

I researched the Balcony Suites because we may possibly have two adults and one child in the cabin.  Not quite sure yet.

Club balcony is the new name for mini suites so try searching for those.  We have never stayed in one so I can't help you with any information.  

Club Balcony Suites aren't really anything to write home about.  They aren't in the same league as Haven Suites by any measure.  They really are just slightly larger balcony cabins.  On some (all?) ships the bathroom has a bathtub/shower combo instead of just a shower.  On some (all?) ships there is a curtain that can be pulled between the bed and sleeper sofa to sort of break it into 2 sleeping area.  They added a couple minor perks (described in the link below) when they renamed them from "Mini-Suites" a year ago or so.

They do not share the Haven perks such as access to the Haven pool area or lounge or a dedicated concierge/butler.

Here is an NCL link to details on this cabin type:

Cruise Balcony & Club Balcony Suites | Norwegian Cruise Line (ncl.com)

Edited by MeHeartCruising

absolutely no contest and it's like comparing apples to oranges. last year ncl changed the name of their mini-suites to the club. i think  to make it more alluring, they tossed in a bottle of sparkling wine and a free bag of laundry. 

im not knocking the club suites, for what  they are, they are very nice and can easily hold 3 people.  we stayed in them when they were called mini suites and had a wonderful experience.

that however, is where it ends. there is absolutely no comparison with a haven, there is a separate station for haven guests to wait and check in, a concierge takes you to the private restaurant/bar, youhave an on call butler 24 hrs per day, a private pool area. the concierge can make all necessary reservations, food, shows, excursions, etc. 

but the difference of course is the price.  a haven will run anywhere from 2-5 times per person, depending on the cabin selected.  

im pricing the getaway (my favorite ncl ship). the club suite balcony is about $3500 per couple, the least expensive haven is about $9000 per couple,

do the math, and decide if the haven is what  you want .

the downside of choosing a haven, is that  you may never want to book a lower category cabin ever again.

whatever you decide, stay safe, have a wonderful time, and of course "BON VOYAGE"!

• Like 1

We have stayed in the Mini-suites when they were called that on the Getaway, and they were nicer than the Balcony rooms. The Club suites aren't all that bigger except the bathrooms. Our bathroom had 2 sinks, and a very big shower  with a multiple jet shower head. I thing the extra room was worth the couple hundred dollars. 

On 12/3/2020 at 10:21 AM, zitsky said:

Thank you so much!

While some of the information you have been given on this thread is wrong, the bottom line is that the Club Suites are just the biggest of the “regular” rooms. Just like when they were called minisuites, they do not have any suite privs. We always book mini/club suites for the extra space and bigger bathroom (on big ships). 

Big price jump to step up to the Haven.  We've sailed in almost every suite catagory on NCL prior to the introduction of the Haven product, so sailing in the Haven and seeing what the fuss is about is a bucket list item for me but after checking on some 2022 cruises and seeing the prices across several NCL ships, I've decided that it would have to be an itinerary with minimal port stops - so I could maximize my time in my room and the Haven area!

Edited by momofmab

• 1 month later...

We are actually looking at the 2 right now.  $5000 for the Club and $10000 for the Haven.  Not sure the Haven will fit the budget plus we don’t really like the menu in the restaurant and we will be in Alaska so other items might not be used. We shall see though. 

If we ever get to cruise again, yup, it will be in the Haven!  Have stocked piled  $$ from staying at home for a year now, urggh!  But had previously looked at Concierge cabins, last time we cruised, because we were with other couples so were going to spend time with them, instead of in the Haven by ourselves (which I truly love) but anyway those cabins included a private breakfast restaurant , which lunch also I think.  They were the old mini suites, but they had some perks like I mentioned, but  not Haven  access.  this was on the Joy Jan 2020, put in for an upgrade, did not get it, stayed in a "regular" mini suite. The name may have changed from Concierge to Club, or I could be mistaken and they were called Club more than a year ago.  The mini of the Joy had a very nice walk in shower and double sinks.  no extras

2 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

If we ever get to cruise again, yup, it will be in the Haven!  Have stocked piled  $$ from staying at home for a year now, urggh!  But had previously looked at Concierge cabins, last time we cruised, because we were with other couples so were going to spend time with them, instead of in the Haven by ourselves (which I truly love) but anyway those cabins included a private breakfast restaurant , which lunch also I think.  They were the old mini suites, but they had some perks like I mentioned, but  not Haven  access.  this was on the Joy Jan 2020, put in for an upgrade, did not get it, stayed in a "regular" mini suite. The name may have changed from Concierge to Club, or I could be mistaken and they were called Club more than a year ago.  The mini of the Joy had a very nice walk in shower and double sinks.  no extras

No. The Concierge rooms and mini/club rooms are totally different. Some of the concierge rooms were changed to “H”aven rooms. Others remained “S” Concierge rooms. Minis changed to Club rooms with tiny perks. 

When it comes to deciding if Haven is 'worth it' or not - it all depends on the ship, as the Haven experience will vary widely on them. Our first Haven experience was on the Jade in the DOS, and it wasn't great. Our butler was terrible and we didn't know enough at that point what we were missing out on since we had never experienced it before then. That ship doesn't have a dedicated Haven restaurant, you get access to one of the specialty restaurants for breakfast and a different one for lunch, but it isn't the same. No dedicated bar or lounge either, just the pool area.

In contrast, our last Haven experience was in a 2BR on the Epic. Wow, night and day difference. If our first experience had been like that, then we would have been victim to the saying that folks like to always express here that 'once you go Haven, you don't ever go back'. But again, for us it will all depend on the ship. Our most recent cancellation was on the Bliss where we got a great price on Haven for this April, but if that price was for the Jade I would have passed on it and went with a mini suite or regular balcony.

Our upcoming (hopefully) trip to Greece in October is on the Pearl. We opted for a regular 2BR suite (non-Haven) as I couldn't justify spending an extra $3K just for the Haven pool area on that ship. If it was the full Haven experience with a lounge and dedicated bar - maybe, but not just for a pool that I may or may not even use.

If you are sailing on one of the larger ships with The Waterfront, check out the "Club Balcony Suites with Larger Balcony" on deck 8 (M6). These balconies are HUGE! Granted, part of the balcony is open and viewable from above...but since we never sit out there naked, it doesn't bother me LOL. The normal balconies on NCL are small - barely room for two chairs and a small table. These balconies have 2 chaise loungers with a small square table plus 2 normal chairs and a table. On Encore's deck 10, there are two M6 cabins with aft views (my favorite view on any ship), but those are wheelchair accessible rooms. 

One day, my DH and I will splurge for a Haven room...one day...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LCfromFL said:

If you are sailing on one of the larger ships with The Waterfront, check out the "Club Balcony Suites with Larger Balcony" on deck 8 (M6). These balconies are HUGE! Granted, part of the balcony is open and viewable from above...but since we never sit out there naked, it doesn't bother me LOL. The normal balconies on NCL are small - barely room for two chairs and a small table. These balconies have 2 chaise loungers with a small square table plus 2 normal chairs and a table. On Encore's deck 10, there are two M6 cabins with aft views (my favorite view on any ship), but those are wheelchair accessible rooms. 

One day, my DH and I will splurge for a Haven room...one day...

This is exactly the room we used to cruise, it is also super close to the District and Food Republic (on Escape and newer).  With the balcony it is totally worth it, just try not to end up under the bridge wing, or you will get wet at least 2 times a day when they clean up there.  LOL  Ask me how I know....

All that being said, we have since gone to Haven and we will never go back, on the ships with dedicated Haven it is night and day difference and the Haven (to me) is worth every penny more.  

3 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

In contrast, our last Haven experience was in a 2BR on the Epic. Wow, night and day difference. If our first experience had been like that, then we would have been victim to the saying that folks like to always express here that 'once you go Haven, you don't ever go back'. But again, for us it will all depend on the ship. Our most recent cancellation was on the Bliss where we got a great price on Haven for this April, but if that price was for the Jade I would have passed on it and went with a mini suite or regular balcony.

We are defenitely "once you go Haven, you don't ever go back" folks and it must be on a ship with the full Haven experience. We will not cruise on NCL without booking the Haven and we will not cruise on the older ships without the Haven restaurant and lounge. We should miss it too much.