Navigator Question

DaisyUK

Am wondering if anyone can give advice about Navigator? We have only sailed on Explorer (and Mariner, many moons ago). I realise that Navigator would be entirely different but is Navigator a comfortable and pleasant ship to be on? Or disappointing compared with the new ships?

On the other hand, we like the newer suites, like the F-series, on Explorer and Splendor.  Plus, those ships have a larger variety of dining options than Voyager and Mariner which, in turn, have more dining venues than Navigator.  We particularly like the Pacific Rim (pan-Asian fusion is an approximate description) on Explorer/Splendor.  As an aside, this is harder to check out on-line since when I checked just now, the Cuisine tab on the Navigator's information page dead-ends at a link to Navigator cruises without providing any information on the dining venues.

As Pcardad notes, Navigator is the smallest Regent ship (29k tons displacement, 490 passengers) whereas Explorer and Splendor are the largest at 55k tons and 750 passengers.  But note that Explorer/Splendor are almost twice the displacement , but only 53% more passengers.  That equates to more and larger public spaces (as well as cabin space in most of the suite tiers).  So, in our experience, they seem less crowded than Navigator.  Actually, none of the Regent ships feel crowded...just that Explorer/Splendor feel even less so.  The bigger (largely because newer technology) ships are also more stable.

But, there are fans of each ship.  I'll close by saying that we look for the itineraries that appeal to us rather than focusing on any specific ships.  If, as was the case in 2008, Navigator is going somewhere that we want to go (Black Sea circumnavigation), then we'll be on that ship, regardless.  The way Regent deploys their ships, it almost never is a choice between ships doing much the same itinerary, 

• Like 2

In my opinion, Navigator is far better than the Explorer but not as nice as Mariner.  Great things about Navigator are size, convenience of public rooms, and cabin size.  Negatives are lack of forward looking observation lounge, size of lounges, and negative impact of groups onboard taking over some public rooms.  One other negative is that not Cat G and H do not have balconies so I feel need to upgrade; I choose Cat E on deck 6 as most convenient.

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond. Such a difficult decision. We did like Explorer, and did not like Mariner. However, we were last on Mariner in 2011, so perhaps it is much nicer now. When we were onboard, we felt everything was very dated and, because of this, had decided to look only at Explorer and Splendor for 2022, but the itineraries are not great for us. 

I looked at some of the Navigator reviews, and they were not great which is a bit off-putting.

Decisions, decisions!

We have sailed on Navigator three times and have a future cruise booked, as well. Navigator is a very intimate ship. It’s small and makes it much warmer. 
We have sailed on all Regents other ships. We love Explorer and Splendor best.. dining choices, spacious suites are fabulous. 
However, we sail all the other ships based on itinerary. Enjoy!

Sheila

• Like 1

I have been avoiding the new ships, since all that glitz is not for me.  If it is important to you, then maybe you'd think Navigator rather plain.  My current favourite is Mariner, btw.

I love the intimacy of a small ship, and indeed find Navigator quite lovely in that regard.  The standard balcony suites are the best in the fleet (at least the older fleet), in my opinion.  But be aware that: the Penthouse suites are no larger than the standard ones; there is a significant vibration aft, so watch out for suites back there; in inclement weather the public spaces indoors can begin to feel a bit cramped; the ship can rock and roll significantly in bad weather.

BTW, I love the rear observation lounge.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaisyUK said:

Am wondering if anyone can give advice about Navigator? We have only sailed on Explorer (and Mariner, many moons ago). I realise that Navigator would be entirely different but is Navigator a comfortable and pleasant ship to be on? Or disappointing compared with the new ships?

It depends on what you like.  Haven't been on the Explorer or Splendor yet, but have been on the Mariner and Voyager many times as well as the Navigator.  For my husband and me who don't have to be entertained of have a lot to do, we LOVE the Navigator.  For what it's worth, if you liked the Mariner, you might not like the Navigator. JMHO

3 hours ago, Portolan said:

On the other hand, we like the newer suites, like the F-series, on Explorer and Splendor.  Plus, those ships have a larger variety of dining options than Voyager and Mariner which, in turn, have more dining venues than Navigator.  We particularly like the Pacific Rim (pan-Asian fusion is an approximate description) on Explorer/Splendor.  As an aside, this is harder to check out on-line since when I checked just now, the Cuisine tab on the Navigator's information page dead-ends at a link to Navigator cruises without providing any information on the dining venues.

As Pcardad notes, Navigator is the smallest Regent ship (29k tons displacement, 490 passengers) whereas Explorer and Splendor are the largest at 55k tons and 750 passengers.  But note that Explorer/Splendor are almost twice the displacement , but only 53% more passengers.  That equates to more and larger public spaces (as well as cabin space in most of the suite tiers).  So, in our experience, they seem less crowded than Navigator.  Actually, none of the Regent ships feel crowded...just that Explorer/Splendor feel even less so.  The bigger (largely because newer technology) ships are also more stable.

But, there are fans of each ship.  I'll close by saying that we look for the itineraries that appeal to us rather than focusing on any specific ships.  If, as was the case in 2008, Navigator is going somewhere that we want to go (Black Sea circumnavigation), then we'll be on that ship, regardless.  The way Regent deploys their ships, it almost never is a choice between ships doing much the same itinerary, 

Well put and we do the same.  Itinerary, itinerary, itinerary!

Even though the "little Navigator" is Regent's oldest/smallest ship, and might be thought to have certain limitations (number of dining venues, etc.) compared to the newer/larger ships, she is still very well regarded and loved by many "Regent Regular's".  We include ourselves in that loyal following.  The per diem/per person fares on the Navigator itineraries seem to be more moderately priced than on some of the other ships and for us, the "Regent experience" does not in any way seem to be any less than what we've experienced on the other ships.

Regent seems to do a good job of updating the facilities and amenities on their entire fleet.  We've sailed on Navigator shortly after a refit and it looked in absolutely great shape.  The lower priced suites on the Navigator (D, E, & F's - all with balconies) are actually larger than those on the Mariner.  And although Navigator is smaller than the other ships, there are also far fewer passengers on board.  So I guess it's really difficult for one of us to judge what would make another cruiser "happier".  We've never had a "bad" Navigator cruise and can't wait to be cruising on any Regent ship in the future!  Regards.  

• Like 2

Well, thanks again for all the input. Still haven't decided, but it's fun looking around. I'm finding that I 'need' to find a cruise to spend our FCCs, but our first choices are already  waitlisted or our preferred suites are taken. First world problems I guess.

Advice about the NAV?

Don't book any cabin aft of the elevators. The ship can often have a vibration because of the propellers cavitation that can really affect the aft cabins. Also you can hear the music from the aft Constellation theater and sometime it can be loud to the point of annoying. 

Also in the very forward cabins can you can hear the the anchor chains going out on tender days. It is very loud. Some pax (like me) don't mind the sound after the first time.

Suggest you look at the cabin chart with pax comments.

J

Nice to hear, we've booked the Navigator for an Aug 2021 cruise.  We've cruised on the Explorer and Mariner, really liked the Explorer but loved the Mariner.  I agree that I think the less dining options isn't the best-but we get tried of eating out every night on a long cruise-so I don't think that will be a problem.  This time we booked a Navigator Suite--any input on that suite?  What's good, what's bad.

28 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Nice to hear, we've booked the Navigator for an Aug 2021 cruise.  We've cruised on the Explorer and Mariner, really liked the Explorer but loved the Mariner.  I agree that I think the less dining options isn't the best-but we get tried of eating out every night on a long cruise-so I don't think that will be a problem.  This time we booked a Navigator Suite--any input on that suite?  What's good, what's bad.

Remember the Navigator suites are directly under the pool area. It can be noisy, especially on warm weather cruises. 
Although these suites are larger than the Penthouse category, we stick with Penthouse B or A on the 10th deck. Gives us great access on the pool deck and Veranda, and is quiet. 
Enjoy!

sheila

You did not say what suite you were in on the Explorer.

We have sailed the Explorer once, the Voyager twice and the Navigator 3 times.  I have written about this in my reviews.  On the Explorer the Deluxe Veranda and the Veranda suites (in addition to being smaller than Navigator) have a coffee height table in the sitting area which is not conducive to room service.  It also has a "cage" like grill around the base of the table which gets in the way of feet, and exaggerates the size of the suite. While the lowest level Navigator suite with a balcony has a nice height table.  You can see this in the suite pictures of both ships RSSC has on their web sight.

We have itinerary  the first thing we look at and then the ship and what it offers.  We have had no issues with the Navigator and do enjoy the nice cozy atmosphere.  While Navigator has two fewer restaurants than Explorer, we have always been happy with where ever we dine.  We have never felt "closed in" during inclement weather on the Navigator.  We have a future booking on the Mariner (itinerary first) and we have a suite that is also smaller than the Navigator's, but it looks to me like the table in the sitting area is of a nice height and size, which should help us handle the suite size.

But you need to decide what is important to you with your ship surroundings on a cruise. What did you really like on the Explorer and what is comparable on the Navigator.

On 12/6/2020 at 4:08 PM, DaisyUK said:

I looked at some of the Navigator reviews, and they were not great which is a bit off-putting.

For years we avoided Navigator because of some poor reviews and also a few negative comments by certain posters on this Board.

However in 2019, driven by itineraries, we tried two cruises on the little ship and fell in love with her.

Compact, friendly and with some notably good public areas.e.g. the Theatre, Stars Bar & Galileo's.

Having tried all Regent's ships except Splendor, our bookings are now determined by itinerary & value.

Glad to see you have found a cruise & suite that suits you on Explorer ........... but don't necessarily discount Navigator in the future if there is an itinerary that looks to be of interest.

Hope we all get to cruise again soon; rather than just reminiscing, planning & dreaming 😉

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DaisyUK said:

Thanks.. have just booked and we have gone for a GS at the back of the ship.

We sailed Explorer in rear facing G2 which abuts to a GS at the rear of the ship (at a fraction of the cost).  If you have not sailed in an aft cabin on Explorer before, be forewarned that it is a long walk to forward stairs or elevators if you want to eat in Compass Rose.  Unlike Mariner and Voyager there is no rear (guest) entrance to the dining room.  

Also, if you have a following sea, there is a lot of cavitation in the rear of the Explorer; they even cut open the wall in the GS to see if there was something wrong; ends up just the way the ship handles following seas.

Marc

Thanks for the advice; very much appreciated. I'm hoping we'll be OK as we have sailed on the Explorer on one previous occasion in the MS above the GS and we were fine on that occasion. We did notice some noise, but it didn't really bother us too much. It seems that there are pros and cons to each of the GS's - either you're right at the front and cannot use the balcony while at sea, or at the side in which case the suite is large but the deck is not and there is noise from above, or you're at the back with a larger deck but a smaller suite. We do enjoy the view from the back, so are hoping we have made the right decision.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NCCruzQueen said:

Self Swirling Wine Glass!

Impressive!  You say it was a bit rocky -- does that mean that this is a rare occurrence?

Since you have posted on another thread that Navigator is your favorite Regent ship, I assume this was just an interesting observation and nothing that would spoil the experience.

1 minute ago, SusieQft said:

Impressive!  You say it was a bit rocky -- does that mean that this is a rare occurrence?

Since you have posted on another thread that Navigator is your favorite Regent ship, I assume this was just an interesting observation and nothing that would spoil the experience.

Susie,

Navigator's size and crew make her special.  She has had a notable vibration issue for years and it can't seem to be fixed.  I've spent over 200 nights aboard Navigator.  As many have said, do not book an aft suite.  Just be prepared for a little shake, rattle and roll.  

• Like 2