No Trans Tasman bubble before Feb.

And to add insult to injury there is snow just outside Queenstown this morning!  We're yet to have  2 summer days in a row in Wellington 🙂

At the moment I'm hoping for a Northland holiday in February ,  and maybe Queensland in March - I HAVE to get to a decent beach again soon!  We are at least going on a expedition cruise in January - but if the weather stays this bad I'm going to spend most of my time wishing myself dead because I'm a very bad sailor 

The QLD Premier will be very disappointed with that news as she was on morning TV this morning announcing that QLD has joined the NZ travel bubble. She was very hopeful that Australians would be allowed to travel to NZ very soon without doing the two weeks quarantine. Oh well, it probably means more money will be spent here in Australia on tourism instead of in NZ.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

The QLD Premier will be very disappointed with that news as she was on morning TV this morning announcing that QLD has joined the NZ travel bubble. She was very hopeful that Australians would be allowed to travel to NZ very soon without doing the two weeks quarantine. Oh well, it probably means more money will be spent here in Australia on tourism instead of in NZ.

Leigh

Except Asutralians are still not allowed out of  Australia ... 

• Like 1

We will both “profit “ from the outcome 

Australians will spend locally and put money back into the economy ,as will N Z..

In fact the predicted post lockdown doom and gloom has not materialised as shops are going gangbusters in the lead up to Christmas .

In one way it’s good to see the money coming back into our local economies rather than being siphoned off shore .

6 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

We will both “profit “ from the outcome 

Australians will spend locally and put money back into the economy ,as will N Z..

In fact the predicted post lockdown doom and gloom has not materialised as shops are going gangbusters in the lead up to Christmas .

In one way it’s good to see the money coming back into our local economies rather than being siphoned off shore .

David, Only Kiwis can come to Aust., not Aussies to visit NZ, at this stage.  

36 minutes ago, lissie said:

Except Asutralians are still not allowed out of  Australia ... 

I would assume that if the NZ govt agreed to extend the bubble both ways without the quarantine requirement in NZ, , then we would be allowed to fly into NZ. It seems quite unfair to me that your fellow NZers can come to Australia but we can't go across the Tasman.

Hopefully all the NZers coming into Australia spend up big here.

Leigh

• Like 2

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

I would assume that if the NZ govt agreed to extend the bubble both ways without the quarantine requirement in NZ, , then we would be allowed to fly into NZ. It seems quite unfair to me that your fellow NZers can come to Australia but we can't go across the Tasman.

Leigh

Yes, it will be up to Jacinda, when Australians will be allowed to visit NZ.  She said the reason was that Aust has different ways of managing the corona virus to NZ.  

50 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

As far as NZ is concerned you can fly now so long as you can get a booking in managed isolation and are happy to  pay the fee and spend 14 days  there - same as NZers 

The NZers coming are probably coming to see family and intend to stay until the bubble happens. The issue is I believe that NZ is not happy that Australia will allow up to 30 cases  before you declare a hot spot 

12 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

NZers have to quaratine when they go back to NZ though so it's not really viable for holidaymakers. Probably more for Australians returning home and seasonal workers.

I know of NZ retirees who own a motorhome in Oz who are  considering flying to Queensland and staying until the bubble is created 

33 minutes ago, lissie said:

I know of NZ retirees who own a motorhome in Oz who are  considering flying to Queensland and staying until the bubble is created 

That's not the average holidaymaker though. 

But why not? They could have a wonderful time touring around the southern parts of Australia - north would be too hot and humid over the next few months. Lucky them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Hopefully all the NZers coming into Australia spend up big here. Battle of the Tasman.

Leigh

I agree, we let them in here but cannot go to En Zed. Bit rude IMO.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's not the average holidaymaker though. 

But why not? They could have a wonderful time touring around the southern parts of Australia - north would be too hot and humid over the next few months. Lucky them.

Lucky for the well heeled priveliged few Kiwis who can maintain a motor home or holiday home in OZ. Like many ordinary Aussies, not many Kiwis can afford such motor homes and holiday homes abroad.

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Lucky for the well heeled priveliged few Kiwis who can maintain a motor home or holiday home in OZ. Like many ordinary Aussies, not many Kiwis can afford such motor homes and holiday homes abroad.

Yeah - but this is a cruise forum - not too many minimum wage people here.  Plenty of kiwis have family living in Australia - so coming over for an extended stay may actually be cheaper than staying home -given your price of living tends to be lower 

28 minutes ago, lissie said:

Yeah - but this is a cruise forum - not too many minimum wage people here.  Plenty of kiwis have family living in Australia - so coming over for an extended stay may actually be cheaper than staying home -given your price of living tends to be lower

Some people buy new cars and have a drive holiday.

You have all missed the point of my post .

The fact is , we are not travelling,rather staying home and spending the money we would spent in our own country, thus creating wealth for all.

As far as Kiwis travelling to Au ....no thank you ...not only do we have to isolate on return, but i5 must be in an approved facility and it must be booked in advance or you will be denied the boarding the plane to get home .

An extra 3,000 each just for a holiday in Oz....you must be dreaming.

46 minutes ago, lissie said:

Not sure if it is still the case, but Kiwis used to be the largest group of foreign property owners on the Gold Coast.  Apart from Christmas and summer school holidays, not sure how popular visits from NZ will be during our hot humid summer. 

22 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Some people buy new cars and have a drive holiday.

You have all missed the point of my post .

The fact is , we are not travelling,rather staying home and spending the money we would spent in our own country, thus creating wealth for all.

As far as Kiwis travelling to Au ....no thank you ...not only do we have to isolate on return, but i5 must be in an approved facility and it must be booked in advance or you will be denied the boarding the plane to get home .

An extra 3,000 each just for a holiday in Oz....you must be dreaming.

Complicated, thanks for explaining David. I was unaware you need to quarantine and pay on return.

3 hours ago, lissie said:

Lissie, with all due respect there would be cc members in oz just living  on the aged pension, whilst they cannot afford worldies or Antarctic trips, they enjoy these forums and save to do their modest P and O , Princess, RCI etc cruises. You elder kiwis are lucky that you all draw the aged pension, irrespective of other income, not that largesse here. I am 72 paid into a  Work super fund for 36 yrs and get sfa from the govt, no aged pension, no cheap pills etc, pay $80 to see a doctor, 

sure I am not poor, but not rich either.

Anyone got a hanky for Uncle Les?

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 3

Agree with you Uncle Les about perception and reality of many and their personal wealth or lack of same. 

Appearances can be deceiving and its easy to generalise.

Nevertheless it is no ones business but their own.   

Regarding the inbound quarantine for returning NZ people sounds a good system around pre booked/paid quarantine.

Reports here of thousands of returned travellers that have not paid for quarantine. 

Hardship cases are understandable but ought to be the exception. 

Many wishing to travel out of Australia would be prepared to pay for their quarantine inbound but are not able to do so, except in very restricted cases.

Meanwhile reports of preparation for thousands of students and seasonal workers are planned.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Lissie, with all due respect there would be cc members in oz just living  on the aged pension, whilst they cannot afford worldies or Antarctic trips, they enjoy these forums and save to do their modest P and O , Princess, RCI etc cruises. You elder kiwis are lucky that you all draw the aged pension, irrespective of other income, not that largesse here. I am 72 paid into a  Work super fund for 36 yrs and get sfa from the govt, no aged pension, no cheap pills etc, pay $80 to see a doctor, 

sure I am not poor, but not rich either.

Anyone got a hanky for Uncle Les?

I agree Les, there are many Australian aged pensioners who scrimp and save to go on a cruise and who may be on this forum. We have a part pension and super so are not too badly off but we are certainly not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. 

I hope you are ok after the surgery on your arm and not in too much pain and discomfort. 

Leigh

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pully8 said:

Are people able to travel anywhere from NZ, albeit with quarantine on their return to NZ? 

Technically and Officially yes . Anyone can travel ...

however the Official  travel advice is 

Do not travel .

Many factors come into play ,availability of transport, cancellation of transport which could find you stranded , border restrictions which can be ,and are , subject to sudden change , re entry conditions ,and so on.

I have heard reports of people travelling through Europe having a great time as there is no one else around at the deserted tourist destinations .

The choice and risk is entirely your own .