Covid-19 Vaccinations To Be Required?

Daniel A

News can spin anyway they want but below is a screenshot of today’s CDC website statistics.  Glad I live in FL.  Of course we have more cases than Rhode Island because we have over 20 million people.  Per capita though, we have been doing great.  Your chances of getting or dying from COVID in FL are in the bottom 25% in the country!  Hopefully, you all will keep believing the news and keep your infections away from us down here.  It’s nice holiday shopping and going out to eat!  We have been living normal lives for months.

E87500D5-B6E9-4B15-BFEF-5808194E1772.png

E25F02E6-8705-40A5-B56B-1E441B06DEDE.png

• Like 2

this is brilliant - there should be special sections on board all planes and ships for those that do not want to wear masks and/or get vaccinated:

https://www.traveller.com.au/masks-on-planes-aeroflot-to-create-special-section-to-seat-antimask-passengers-h1sy4j

Maybe a few sections

Section 1: M+, V+ (best seats and cabins)

Section 2: M+, V-

Section 3: M-, V+

Section 4 (the cheapest section): M-, V-

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

this is brilliant - there should be special sections on board all planes and ships for those that do not want to wear masks and/or get vaccinated:

https://www.traveller.com.au/masks-on-planes-aeroflot-to-create-special-section-to-seat-antimask-passengers-h1sy4j

Maybe a few sections

Section 1: M+, V+ (best seats and cabins)

Section 2: M+, V-

Section 3: M-, V+

Section 4 (the cheapest section): M-, V-

I’m all for wearing a mask, especially now during the holidays when travel is up. However, other than now, during the holidays, I’m not sure it matters. I keep hearing reports from those that are flying, as opposed to non travelers, saying they had four (4) people on one flight and eleven (11) on the other. Space them out and there’s 10-15 feet between them all.

Flyertalker can inject here, but I’ve heard stories about mass planned flight consolidation/eliminations after the New Year. So with that, this condition may disappear, so that once aboard masks may actually be needed again.

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I’m all for wearing a mask, especially now during the holidays when travel is up. However, other than now, during the holidays, I’m not sure it matters. I keep hearing reports from those that are flying, as opposed to non travelers, saying they had four (4) people on one flight and eleven (11) on the other. Space them out and there’s 10-15 feet between them all.

Flyertalker can inject here, but I’ve heard stories about mass planned flight consolidation/eliminations after the New Year. So with that, this condition may disappear, so that once aboard masks may actually be needed again.

And I just talked yesterday with a woman who just returned from Mexico. Her outbound flight was 100% full.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Don't forget the good news.  Virtually no one has ordinary influenza or is dying from it.

Curious how that works.

Wearing masks and social separation (by many) will go a long way to achieve that - an unexpected bonus.

Perhaps more people took the flu vaccine this year as well?

• Like 2

^

Also, people are generally far more hygiene aware.

Coughing / sneezing technique;

Hand washing / sanitising more often;

Limiting surface contact more often,

Trying to limit hands touching your face.

All these little things help a bit, and for some will be new habits which will continue.

I guess many of us have been in a venue close by someone coughing regularly.

I know on occasion I have shifted seats to avoid.

Just imagine being on a ship next year and having people coughing and sneezing.

The interactions with others will be interesting.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Wearing masks and social separation (by many) will go a long way to achieve that - an unexpected bonus.

Perhaps more people took the flu vaccine this year as well?

Both of these things. We were encouraged especially this year to get flu shot. And we spent a lot more time at home and when out masking and distancing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

All these little things help a bit, and for some will be new habits which will continue.

I remember Dr. Fauci say way back that he hoped that people would never go back to shaking hands.

7 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Over 1million travelers went thru TSA on Friday. My daughter and Grandson are on a flight to FL from CA right now. They will stay with my youngest daughter. I won't let them get near me. Young people continue living and I am just following the guidelines to stay safe and alive to enjoy their future visits.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Don't forget the good news.  Virtually no one has ordinary influenza or is dying from it.

Curious how that works.

I think the 'experts' are now classifying influenza cases as 'Covid Like Illness' so yes, no deaths this year from the flu.

5 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I think the 'experts' are now classifying influenza cases as 'Covid Like Illness' so yes, no deaths this year from the flu.

If they die, do they now go in the "Covid" column?

Convenient how both cases and deaths can only go up.

44 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I doubt this very much.

After all, there are tests now for both to determine which one they are dealing with. It does make a difference where in the hospital they are placed (COVID vs Flu), how the staff needs to protect themselves, etc or whether they have to home isolate for 14 days as with COVID.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Thanks 2

No one should be surprised with a very low influenza season.

The CDC was expecting this.

After all, the Southern Hemisphere countries had already shown this data.

Take Australia as an example:

In August 2019 they had 61,000 laboratory confirmed cases of influenza.

In August 2020, there were 107.

Source: CNN

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

And don't you think this was because of their superb COVID prevention actions?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

A side benefit of steps taken to prevent COVID.  When cruising resumes I wonder if we will see less upper respiratory issues on cruises for the same reason.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I doubt this very much.

After all, there are tests now for both to determine which one they are dealing with. It does make a difference where in the hospital they are placed (COVID vs Flu), how the staff needs to protect themselves, etc or whether they have to home isolate for 14 days as with COVID.

I didn't invent the term 'Covid Like Illness.'  Google the phrase.  It was the experts who invented the term.  I'm sorry if you think I just made this up...

59 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

A side benefit of steps taken to prevent COVID.  When cruising resumes I wonder if we will see less upper respiratory issues on cruises for the same reason.

Even more importantly will the required use of hand sanitizer, temperature checks, and extra cleaning significantly reduce Noro on the ships? We already never touch the handrails in the ship’s hallways or stairs, and very rarely use an elevator, because of Noro concerns. COVID-19 makes that even more prudent.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Even more importantly will the required use of hand sanitizer, temperature checks, and extra cleaning significantly reduce Noro on the ships? We already never touch the handrails in the ship’s hallways or stairs, and very rarely use an elevator, because of Noro concerns. COVID-19 makes that even more prudent.

It’s funny, we have over 1,000 days on cruise ships and have never had Noro.  We have however, on long cruises, had upper respiratory infections.  And believe me, we wash our hands and don’t touch railings and such.

Edited by KirkNC

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I don't think anyone thinks you made up the term. That certainly wasn't the way I read it.  I think the doubting part, and not that you made it up, is the classifying of all Covid Like Illnesses as a Covid case and deaths likewise. This has been a lie that fake news outlets like Newsmax, Breitbart, and even farther right ones have been spreading since early in this pandemic.   Just for the record, I am not a Covid-19 denier by any means.  I don't read any of those 'news outlets' so I didn't get my information from there.  Just curious, do you read those news outlets?  If not, how do you know what they're reporting?

My responses are above, in red.

Edited by Daniel A