Covid-19 Vaccinations To Be Required?

Daniel A

13 hours ago, kucherov said:

Here in the sunshine state, they are already vaccinating anyone over the age of 65.  My DW and I will go Monday to get the first Moderna dose.  It's done on the County level...you sign up on the County website for an appointment time, or in our case, first come first serve.  The line will be long, but it's drive-thru so we can relax in the car and read.  Perhaps a benefit of living in a state governed by a Trump toady.

So has FL already vaccinated all of their health care workers, nursing home residents & essential workers?  In our state healthy people over 65 are behind all of those. 

14 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Is there a State that is doing better?

If so, maybe I should ask them how they are getting it done.

In AZ, we received an email from our Safeway Pharmacy saying we could sign up for notifications when they have the vaccine and then we can make an appointment.  Unlike FL, the general population is not yet getting them, but one the first responders and compromised indivuals have gotten them, folks 75 and older will be next in line.

16 minutes ago, ORV said:

So has FL already vaccinated all of their health care workers, nursing home residents & essential workers?  In our state healthy people over 65 are behind all of those. 

ORV;

I believe part of the answer, at least locally, is that the vaccines especially Pfizer comes in a prescribed batch size. So when taken to satellite locations 1a priority patients may only consume X percent of the batch. Therefore, to not waste any of the vaccine, those available to get the vaccinations in groups 1b or 2a might get vaccinated. It is not the intention to vaccinate those lower priority recipients, it’s only a process to not waste vaccines.

6 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

ORV;

I believe part of the answer, at least locally, is that the vaccines especially Pfizer comes in a prescribed batch size. So when taken to satellite locations 1a priority patients may only consume X percent of the batch. Therefore, to not waste any of the vaccine, those available to get the vaccinations in groups 1b or 2a might get vaccinated. It is not the intention to vaccinate those lower priority recipients, it’s only a process to not waste vaccines.

Sounds good, but I think it's open to all over 65 in FL. Just curious about the original question I asked.

40 minutes ago, ORV said:

Sounds good, but I think it's open to all over 65 in FL. Just curious about the original question I asked.

Here is a news report for Florida

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/12/28/heres-how-you-will-know-when-you-can-get-the-covid-19-vaccine-in-florida/

The Pfizer  vaccine needs to be kept at -50C  so cannot see it available at the local CVS 

That is the problem here 

they need to have controlled sites where the temp is regulated

More info

https://www.pfizer.com/news/hot-topics/covid_19_vaccine_u_s_distribution_fact_sheet

39 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

In AZ, we received an email from our Safeway Pharmacy saying we could sign up for notifications when they have the vaccine and then we can make an appointment.  Unlike FL, the general population is not yet getting them, but one the first responders and compromised indivuals have gotten them, folks 75 and older will be next in line.

Similar here

Front line workers  EMS PSWs  etcc

then nursing homes, over 80's  then over 75  

maybe by summer  the rest  will get it

They have not announced how  we will be notified  yet  when our turn comes 😉

14 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Similar here

Front line workers  EMS PSWs  etcc

then nursing homes, over 80's  then over 75  

maybe by summer  the rest  will get it

They have not announced how  we will be notified  yet  when our turn comes 😉

I presume it will be the Moderna vaccine for us, since Safeways don't have the deep freeze equipment...and I don't think storing them with the frozen vegetables will work  🥶.

Here's a quote from today's Washington Post:

"Texas, Florida and some other Republican-led states are bucking federal advice to provide early doses of the new coronavirus vaccines to front-line workers, choosing instead to prioritize the elderly — a decision exposing fissures in the nationwide immunization campaign.

Federal recommendations give priority, in the second tier, to grocery store employees, transit staffers and other front-line workers, along with people 75 and older. But officials in Florida and Texas, where a combined 50 million people live, are moving ahead with a different strategy, offering vaccine to a broader segment of their elderly populations and asking front-line workers to wait."

7 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

"Texas, Florida and some other Republican-led states are bucking federal advice to provide early doses of the new coronavirus vaccines to front-line workers, choosing instead to prioritize the elderly — a decision exposing fissures in the nationwide immunization campaign.

Why should they follow any rules or recommendations this time around - they never have before.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 5

On a political note, our national leadership has decided to allow the individual States to establish their own priorities based on their individual circumstances. I personally believe that is good policy, however some here apparently would prefer a top down, one size fits all, approach from the Feds.

Our Commonwealth’s allocation of the Pfizer vaccine has gone to the major metropolitan areas that has the capacity to store and handle it. Locally, we are receiving the Moderna. The Commonwealth has decided that 1st responders, nursing home residents, teachers and school staff, and a few other categories will be offered the vaccine first, then those over 70. After that will be other essential workers.

Current projections, based on anticipated receipt of the vaccine, it will be late February or March before those over 70 start receiving the vaccine. We have been assured that we’ll before that time, the full procedure for signing up and actually getting the vaccine will be laid out for all. So, in essence, we’ve been told to have a bit of patience and we’ll know long before our time comes to actually get the shots. A lot of front line medical workers, 1st responders, and school staff to go before we need to worry about it.

The possible approval of a third vaccine in the near future will help speed up the process, but approval and distribution is probably a couple months away yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

The possible approval of a third vaccine in the near future will help speed up the process, but approval and distribution is probably a couple months away yet.

Not only that but it is reported to be only 70% effective.

I am not anxious to take a vaccine that is 70% effective when there are at least 2 that are 95% effective.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kucherov said:

Here in the sunshine state, they are already vaccinating anyone over the age of 65.  My DW and I will go Monday to get the first Moderna dose.  It's done on the County level...you sign up on the County website for an appointment time, or in our case, first come first serve.  The line will be long, but it's drive-thru so we can relax in the car and read.  Perhaps a benefit of living in a state governed by a Trump toady.

I would think that due to the large elderly population in FL, that is a good move. Keep us posted on your vaccine progress.

I live in the state of CO where the latest Covid virus from UK has been discovered. I contacted my Dr. recently to see about getting on the list for the vaccine. Was told to look at the Covid website for the guidelines as to when and where it will be distributed.

I do hope I get it before the prisoners and illegals here. But, you never know 😉

• Like 1

I will add that locally early indications are that the pharmacies, or other outlets such as local clinics, will be not dispersing shots until at least Group 3’s turn. The health care officials intend upon keeping very tight rein on supplies to ensure people don’t jump the line and that established priorities are meet. Could even be until Group 3B.

People have bemoaned the slow rate of vaccinations. While most massive programs such as this undergo a ramping up stage, it appears the largest factor has been the government’s decision to release only 45% of the available vaccines. This is being done to ensure those getting the vaccine will have the second dose available. The other 5% of vaccines are currently held as emergency backups. Some have decried this plan saying they should give the first dose to everyone possible and worry later about having the 2nd dose available. Politics, but not the course taken .

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Are you in any way related to Pelosi, Paul???

Not sure what you mean by that but I DO know that if we - the entire nation - acted as one and followed all the rules and rec's of health professionals from the beginning, we'd be much better off today than we are.

Why is it that we all can agree to wear seatbelts and not to drive while drinking - or else pay the penalty for breaking that law - but we cannot agree to wear masks in public and to not have large indoor gatherings or keep close to home.

We are now paying for our "fun" at Thanksgiving - and I mean even those of us that didn't travel may become victims of those that did. The bill for Christmas travel will come due in 2 to 3 weeks. Where they'll put all those sick people nobody knows.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Paul;

Several of the European countries went into full lock down . It didn’t stop the virus from raging again after they came out. Not against wearing masks and distancing, but only a vaccine will stop this scourge. 

We are not islands in the middle of the Pacific that can completely shut out the outside world. We have large migratory populations. Not even Biden is going to shutdown the US economy for months to keep you safe. Hopefully you’ll get your shots soon. For many it will be well into summer before they get theirs.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Several of the European countries went into full lock down . It didn’t stop the virus from raging again after they came out. Not against wearing masks and distancing, but only a vaccine will stop this scourge. 

No, it didn't stop the virus.

OTOH, how many - if any at all - "civilized" countries have done worse than us in cases and deaths/capita?

For example S. Korea has a population of 50 M (1/7 of ours). They've had less than 300 deaths total (not per capita).

Apparently that is achievable because it was achieved by another country. 

Why not by us - the richest country with (presumably) the best healthcare in the world?

Edited by Paulchili

@Paulchili Here are the guidelines our Gov. of CO just put out for the distribution of the vaccine. I am sure you have something similar from your Gov. Newsom. This is on the CO Dept. of Health website. Hope this helps you find your CA state guidelines.

We also have the new variant that was traced to  National Guard working in a nursing home. By now the new variant is most likely everywhere.

Covid vaccine for CO.jpg

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

No, it didn't stop the virus.

OTOH, how many - if any at all - "civilized" countries have done worse than us in cases and deaths/capita?

For example S. Korea has a population of 50 M (1/7 of ours). They've had less than 300 deathtotal (not per capita).

Apparently that is achievable because it was achieved by another country. 

Why not by us - the richest country with (presumably) the best healthcare in the world?

I agree with your point...but for the sake of accuracy, South Korea has had 879  COVID deaths. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/south-korea/

Edit: FYI there are 13 countries, Chile plus 12 in Europe, including the UK, Italy and Spain, with worse COVID fatality per 100K population ratios than the US.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Edited by njhorseman

Covid fatalities are higher in obese and morbid obese populations. Throw in diabetes and you have doppelgänger. The US certainly ranks high in those populations, a lot higher than S. Korea.

Additionally there were articles last summer about the researchers and tracers watching it spread as the migratory workers passed through from one state to the next. Once it got into the camps, it just moved and followed. Someone had to pick the oranges in Fl and AZ, then the peaches in GA, and on up coast line. Who picked the grapes in CA? Until they came in August to work the tobacco patches,  no one here even knew people that had it. Not blaming the workers, we all depend upon them . It’s the condition we make them live in. South Korea doesn’t have that issue. By the way, the cycle will start here again before Group 3 gets their vaccinations. 

All the countries have different societies and issues. Should they have shut everything down and allowed the grapes to waste on the vines, the lettuce, cabbage, and other vegetables rot in the fields in your State? NZ didn’t shutdown during grape harvest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Covid vaccine for CO.jpg

I understand this part - all states have some version of this. I am looking for the next step.

According to the table you posted I am in 1B just by being over 70. So are millions of others in CO

First - not all 70 year old people are the same. Some are in excellent shape, others not so much and at much higher risk. This table makes no distinction between these groups.

Second - this doesn’t tell me what do I do next. Do I sign up, do I wait to be called? Those are the answers I am looking for and that table has no answers to that.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

I agree with your point...but for the sake of accuracy, South Korea has had 879  COVID deaths. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/south-korea/

Edit: FYI there are 13 countries, Chile plus 12 in Europe, including the UK, Italy and Spain, with worse COVID fatality per 100K population ratios than the US.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

NJH - thank you for the corrections. Accurate information is very important  and I do not mind being corrected - in fact, I appreciate it.

I must have remembered some older stats.

That said, I would gladly accept S. Korea’s numbers even at 879 considering we lose several  times that number daily

Edited by Paulchili
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I understand this part - all states have some version of this. I am looking for the next step.

According to the table you posted I am in 1B just by being over 70. So are millions of others in CO

First - not all 70 year old people are the same. Some are in excellent shape, others not so much and at much higher risk. This table makes no distinction between these groups.

Second - this doesn’t tell me what do I do next. Do I sign up, do I wait to be called? Those are the answers I am looking for and that table has no answers to that.

It’s government, therefore it’s one size fits all.

In KY, we’re being told that it will be late January before the plan for sign up is released. You live in the land of Silicon Valley. Maybe there they can develop it more quickly. 

It sounds as if we 70+ERs will go to the County Health Department, or one of their approved facilities for the shots. 

Patience, my boy, patience. I think Newsom will tell you when he knows.

19 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

You are a smart man. I was just trying to help. Contact the health dept in CA for your answer. If the timeline for CO is the same as CA, you will be vaccinated this Winter. Luckier than most. 

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

You are a smart man. I was just trying to help. Contact the health dept in CA for your answer. If the timeline for CO is the same as CA, you will be vaccinated this Winter. Luckier than most. 

😂😂 Wonderful answer! Contact the health department in CA for your answer.

Beautifully like” Call your TA!” 👍 Well Done!

😂

• Thanks 1