Why is Celebrity selling cruises that cannot sail as listed?

frankdp

3 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

From the cruises I looked at, 25% doesn't even come close to the new cruises price.

Exactly.  The prices are overall way higher than 125% of their 2020 pricing (and that is true considering the new all-inclusive methods).  Lifting and shifting is one thing - it can be beneficial in many cases (albeit not all).  But that 25% bump for FCC is virtually worthless IMHO.

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I don’t think that back in March, anyone knew when cruising would restart. Did they probably know a month would be cancelled before accepting final payment - yeah. But I, and many posters never really believed when this started how long it would last. I don’t think the cruise lines did either. I think they have legitimately extended the closures a month at a time as the situation became more and more clear. 

Canada first announced on March 12 that cruise ships with more than 500 crew and passengers combined would not be allowed to enter Canadian ports until July 1 at the earliest. There were multiple Celebrity cruises on both coasts that could no longer sail, but no steps were taken for weeks until these cruises were finally cancelled, and in the majority of, after final payment. And when Canada renewed the ban, Celebrity once again delayed cancelling cruises that it knew full well would not sail. Consequently, while I do agree that cruise lines had no idea of how long the pandemic would last, it couldn't have been more clear in mid-March that NO cruise was going to sail to Canadian or from ports until July at the earliest. The "Ah, shucks, we didn't know" card just doesn't play, at least not for cruises to and from Canadian ports.

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

Exactly.  The prices are overall way higher than 125% of their 2020 pricing (and that is true considering the new all-inclusive methods).  Lifting and shifting is one thing - it can be beneficial in many cases (albeit not all).  But that 25% bump for FCC is virtually worthless IMHO.

In some cases, that is very true. At the moment, anyways. 

The real ripoff that I have seen is the upgrade to premium packages, $60/day on my Transpacific. Definitely not worth it. Doing the math, it is more expensive.

10 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Canada first announced on March 12 that cruise ships with more than 500 crew and passengers combined would not be allowed to enter Canadian ports until July 1 at the earliest. There were multiple Celebrity cruises on both coasts that could no longer sail, but no steps were taken for weeks until these cruises were finally cancelled, and in the majority of, after final payment. And when Canada renewed the ban, Celebrity once again delayed cancelling cruises that it knew full well would not sail. Consequently, while I do agree that cruise lines had no idea of how long the pandemic would last, it couldn't have been more clear in mid-March that NO cruise was going to sail to Canadian or from ports until July at the earliest. The "Ah, shucks, we didn't know" card just doesn't play, at least not for cruises to and from Canadian ports.

there are times when things like that occurred. And celebrity should have made cancellations prior to final payment. But most of their sailings were not affected by this. Do I think they did everything right? No.  But this was an insane unprecedented situation and all the cruise lines were struggling in how to move forward. Specifically speaking of the March cruise. We all know that a 10 day cruise will not sail, as does celebrity. Will it be out right cancelled or shortened? I don’t know for sure, neither do you, and neither does celebrity. I’m just saying that I’m willing to give them a little benefit of the doubt when for the first time in any of our lifetimes, the world was essentially shut down by a pandemic, and in the first time in modern cruisings history, a government entity has shut them down for nearly a year.

• Thanks 2

On 12/17/2020 at 3:28 PM, frankdp said:

X is still showing multiple cruises on their website on Connie out of Tampa that are 10 and 11 nights beginning in March.   I chatted with a very nice lady (using the chat feature) and she told me that these cruises were still scheduled to sail as listed.   We all know that at least, these cruises will be shortened to 7 nights as mandated and with all of the uncertainty surrounding the Constellation, these cruises will possibly not sail at all.

If they really intend to bring Connie to Tampa and begin sailing in March, why wouldn't they reset those cruises on the website to reflect the actual 7 day itinerary?  

I don’t know for certain, but I’d hazard a guess that right now Celebrity don’t know with any certainty which ships will sail where or when.

Their near and medium term schedule is in tatters and there has been nothing but cancellations followed by rescheduling as the pandemic has rolled on.

I’m not a Celebrity apologist, but I think we all need to acknowledge that whatever they do they are going to struggle to get much right.

I do note that they have tried to get out in front of things with their W21/S22 redeployment plans. But even with that they are struggling to work through the changes.

21 hours ago, morechances said:

The real ripoff that I have seen is the upgrade to premium packages, $60/day on my Transpacific. Definitely not worth it. Doing the math, it is more expensive.

I don't recall the new marketing options.  Does that $60 per day only get you the upgrade to premium, or are there other perks that come with it?

11 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I don't recall the new marketing options.  Does that $60 per day only get you the upgrade to premium, or are there other perks that come with it?

When doing trial bookings.  Elevate is $30 pp/pd and Indulge is $60 pp/pd which both include premium upgrade and OBC and possibly other things.

23 hours ago, morechances said:

I have also been looking at TP cruises and when  I saw the $60 per day it was for the upgrade to the Premium Beverage Package, upgrade to streaming wi-fi and $400 in shore excursion credit.  If all you want is just the upgrade to the Premium you can do that on-board or by calling Celebrity.  I believe the cost to upgrade just the beverage package to Premium on a AI booking is $11.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I have also been looking at TP cruises and when  I saw the $60 per day it was for the upgrade to the Premium Beverage Package, upgrade to streaming wi-fi and $400 in shore excursion credit.  If all you want is just the upgrade to the Premium you can do that on-board or by calling Celebrity.  I believe the cost to upgrade just the beverage package to Premium on a AI booking is $11.  

And if you are a solo cruiser, the OBC is $800, very generous.

On 12/21/2020 at 6:56 PM, LGW59 said:

And if you are a solo cruiser, the OBC is $800, very generous.

I am a solo cruiser, and it is only $400, not $800. It is $60/day per person, not per cabin.

$11/day bev is $154

$21/day streaming is $294 Minus my 10% Captains Club discount. $265

$419  total

Plus $400 credit

Total of $819

Total cost @$60/day $840

So you pay $21 more.

Edited by morechances

3 minutes ago, morechances said:

I am a solo cruiser, and it is only $400, not $800. It is $60/day per person, not per cabin.

$11/day bev is $154

$21/day streaming is $294

$448

Plus $400 credit

Total of $848

Total cost @$60/day $840

So you save $8 WOW!!!!!!!

I don't know about your invoices/confirmations, mine is $800 OBC for a solo cruise.  You post lots of various cost breakdowns, with no reference to room type etc. Goota compares apples to apples, not an apple to an orange  

9 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I don't know about your invoices/confirmations, mine is $800 OBC for a solo cruise.  You post lots of various cost breakdowns, with no reference to room type etc. Goota compares apples to apples, not an apple to an orange  

Concierge class, sunset cabin. Paying full price, solo traveler.

Paid the $60/day, and as you can see..... only $400 OBC.

Booked directly on the Celebrity website. 

In my case, it is a loss of money. 

20201222_215302.jpg

2 minutes ago, morechances said:

Concierge class, sunset cabin. Paying full price, solo traveler.

Paid the $60/day, and as you can see..... only $400 OBC.

Booked directly on the Celebrity website. 

In my case, it is a loss of money. 

20201222_215302.jpg

OK I get it now, thx for clarification.  I am in a Sky Suite so perhaps that is why?!

On 12/20/2020 at 11:21 AM, Fouremco said:

I'd agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that, since March 2020, Celebrity has consistently done the same thing, allowing customers to book cruises that they knew full well would not sail, then waiting until after final payment to cancel. 

And in the early days, knowing full well there was a covid outbreak on the ship and not telling us the day before sailing, going so far as to deny it when asked, had to find out from the Canadian government. I'M NOT STILL BITTER 🙂