Cheers Tip Per Drink Math?

Elaine5715

1 hour ago, pc_load_letter said:

Allow me to get us both our drinks at the same time.

And sometimes I want a drink and a shot.

Regarding getting drinks for you and your wife at the same time.  That is easily accomplished on any Carnival ship.  You and your wife go together the first time and each subsequent round can be obtained with just you providing both cards. I know this from first hand experience.

I realize that NCL let's you have 2 drinks at a time so you can have your shot and a beer.   Been on the Escape 3 times as well as the Bliss.  If you don't  like sipping on your beer and waiting 5 minutes for your shot on Carnival, then just cruise on NCL.  It's Carnival's choice with their rules, just like it's your choice with your cruise line to vacation on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Regarding getting drinks for you and your wife at the same time.  That is easily accomplished on any Carnival ship.  You and your wife go together the first time and each subsequent round can be obtained with just you providing both cards. I know this from first hand experience.

I realize that NCL let's you have 2 drinks at a time so you can have your shot and a beer.   Been on the Escape 3 times as well as the Bliss.  If you don't  like sipping on your beer and waiting 5 minutes for your shot on Carnival, then just cruise on NCL.  It's Carnival's choice with their rules, just like it's your choice with your cruise line to vacation on.

Dumbest reply ever. Thank you captain obvious for telling me what I already know.

6 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

Dumbest reply ever. Thank you captain obvious for telling me what I already know.

You might know all of that, but a new person wouldn't and after reading your post they might be concerned about it. SNJ provided clarifying information that would help ease their mind. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

You obviously dealt with the Carnival bartenders who would not serve you 2 drinks the same way that you dealt with my earlier response.   A little respect goes a long way.  Once you get to know a bartender,  they will wait and key in your shot after waiting five minutes as required by Carnival's system, but they would  have already served you your beer and a shot together. 

Once again,  respect.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, d12j28 said:

We always get Cheers and get great service. Of course we tip well for that service. I don't think it really matters if you have Cheers or not as to whether you get good service. They remember the people that tip well either way.

Correct, if you tip over the tip included with CHEERS.  Everyone gets good service, good tippers get great service.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Correct, if you tip over the tip included with CHEERS.  Everyone gets good service, good tippers get great service.  

There is zero evidence that tipping $1 per drink gets you better service than the person who adds no additional tip.   There is zero evidence that tipping $5 extra per drink gets you better service than the guy who tips $1.   If you want to believe it does, be my guest.   I've always found that being courteous and respectful with the waitstaff and bartenders goes a long way in how well I am provided service.

Just curious, do you leave a $1 bill laying on your bed for the steward???   Do you hand them $1 every time they leave you a fresh towel??   Do you tip them for vacuuming the floor???   

9 hours ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

There is zero evidence that tipping $1 per drink gets you better service than the person who adds no additional tip.   There is zero evidence that tipping $5 extra per drink gets you better service than the guy who tips $1.   If you want to believe it does, be my guest.   I've always found that being courteous and respectful with the waitstaff and bartenders goes a long way in how well I am provided service.

Just curious, do you leave a $1 bill laying on your bed for the steward???   Do you hand them $1 every time they leave you a fresh towel??   Do you tip them for vacuuming the floor???   

We aren't in a courtroom so having admissible evidence is not likely to happen. Yes, being nice to those who serve us goes a long way. I have not seen a increase in service for tipping a bartender extra, probably because I don't just sit at the bar but only go up when I am passing by and don't have the same bartender each time. However, I have noticed that with the servers, those who will bring you a drink in the show or at the pool, they are more attentive and make it a point to seek us out. Does the small extra tip help? Well, maybe, maybe not, but it doesn't hurt.

13 hours ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

You must not have ever worked in the service industry.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

My evidence is my own experience.  I tend to find a couple of bartenders on the first night and gravitate to them as much as possible for the rest of the cruise.  By the second night I can walk up to a bar and get served immediately even when others are waiting, because they know I'll tip with every drink.

I do also treat all of the staff courteously, because I respect them.  I think the better service comes from the tips, though.  People are self-motivated.

No, I don't do the same for the room steward.  I auto-tip, and if we get great service we will leave them some extra at the end of the trip.

Edited by gtalum
  • Like 2

On 1/26/2021 at 6:34 AM, Elaine5715 said:

Averaging .75 or so a drink on CHEERS is not in their favor.    

Averaging .75 or so a drink on CHEERS implies that people who purchase CHEERS drink on average 12.5 drinks per day...   😲

My guess is that it's closer to half that number of drinks on average -- what would appear to be where Carnival priced the package.

Here's another curve ball.  There is a difference regarding tipping as far as I am concerned depending upon what you order and which bar you order from.   If you order a beer or one of the premade drinks from a pitcher at the Red Frog Bar then no additional tip is needed as far as I'm concerned. 

Whereas if you are imbibing at the Alchemy Bar, that's where the extra gratuity should be shown.   Individually concocted libations that many times are off menu are well worth the extra tip. Those who work there are mixologists that deserve the extra tip.  They have the authority and the expertise to go off menu.  The other bars on board have bartenders who are required by the most part to stick to the Carnival authorized ingredients that go into a certain drink.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

Here's another curve ball.  There is a difference regarding tipping as far as I am concerned depending upon what you order and which bar you order from.   If you order a beer or one of the premade drinks from a pitcher at the Red Frog Bar then no additional tip is needed as far as I'm concerned. 

Whereas if you are imbibing at the Alchemy Bar, that's where the extra gratuity should be shown.   Individually concocted libations that many times are off menu are well worth the extra tip. Those who work there are mixologists that deserve the extra tip.  They have the authority and the expertise to go off menu.  The other bars on board have bartenders who are required by the most part to stick to the Carnival authorized ingredients that go into a certain drink.

That's a good point

23 hours ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

LOL....I am sure the people who glare at me on pretty much every cruise would probably say you are wrong.  They watched me get greeted by name and served while they still stood there impatiently waiting.  Of course, they are strangers on various cruises from months and years ago so I cannot submit them to you as evidence. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ray98 said:

LOL....I am sure the people who glare at me on pretty much every cruise would probably say you are wrong.  They watched me get greeted by name and served while they still stood there impatiently waiting.  Of course, they are strangers on various cruises from months and years ago so I cannot submit them to you as evidence. 

Having MUCH experience riding bar stools with a partner that was a bartender for years, sitting at the bar watching drinks being made is still a favorite activity.  There is no doubt good bartenders and good customers know how to dance.  Onboard any ship by day two, a bartender will know drink preferences and pretty much can communicate by signals with a nod, couple fingers of "how much" and they get rewarded.  That is the dance.  Certainly more happens in a local bar where regulars who tip better get vastly superior service.

Of course, at the neighborhood bar, that customer who tips a quarter is aghast that the other guy who tips generously always has a fresh drink coming.   

Edited by Elaine5715

6 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Averaging .75 or so a drink on CHEERS implies that people who purchase CHEERS drink on average 12.5 drinks per day...   😲

My guess is that it's closer to half that number of drinks on average -- what would appear to be where Carnival priced the package.

Remember that CHEERS include soft drinks, milk shakes,  teas, and fancy coffees so it is quite easy to have 12 beverages a day.  

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

Having MUCH experience riding bar stools with a partner that was a bartender for years, sitting at the bar watching drinks being made is still a favorite activity.  There is no doubt good bartenders and good customers know how to dance.  Onboard any ship by day two, a bartender will know drink preferences and pretty much can communicate by signals with a nod, couple fingers of "how much" and they get rewarded.  That is the dance.  Certainly more happens in a local bar where regulars who tip better get vastly superior service.

Yup....it certainly happens. Something as small as a $1 a drink goes a long way.  I usually hit the bar for a couple drinks while it is dead during the afternoon.  I still tip and enjoy a friendly chat if they aren't too busy stocking up.  In the end they look out for me in the evening when people are crawling out of the woodwork to buy some random chocolate foo foo drink.  It works out.

• Like 2

To be honest I tip extra not because I want to receive better service but because I know how hard the staff works and I feel they deserve it. I have both worked for tips and worked aboard ships (although not at the same time, thank goodness) so I feel an affinity for the staff. As for Cheers, we don't get it so I don't have to worry about it.

I'm agreeing with tipping per drink on Cheers in addition to what gets covered by Cheers cost.

What you tip is up to you, just like any tipping at land based bars and restaurants.  But if you frequent a particular bar(s) on a ship service is much better.   Even without Cheers, an additional tip works in your favor.  I've tipped extra with out Cheers at Alchemy and Red Frog Pub and Guy's BBQ/Brewery.  By 2nd/3rd night I get recognized.  and even the barkeeps pouring drafts, work a better draft pull.

I'll add that this doesn't work as well for outside bars during the day, unless you frequent them regularly.  These folks are usually too busy to bother with knowing you.

Edited by crewsweeper

On 1/26/2021 at 8:21 AM, sparks1093 said:

This implies that without Cheers you still tip $1 extra, which means you aren't paying more. You complain about this costing you more, but charging 18% per drink would cost you even more so why the complaint? If anyone should be complaining it should be the bar staff (and I don't believe that they are complaining at all because the Cheers program averages in their favor).

No, I don't add an extra $1 when I don't have Cheers because it adds 18% to the drink. The bartenders know they are getting 18% of the drink with a regular customer, but with a Cheers customer they know they are likely to get nothing extra. 

1 hour ago, Jamesatgsu said:

No, I don't add an extra $1 when I don't have Cheers because it adds 18% to the drink. The bartenders know they are getting 18% of the drink with a regular customer, but with a Cheers customer they know they are likely to get nothing extra. 

Same here.....I believe the 18% is sufficient for normal service.  The only time I tip extra when we are not under a program is when someone goes out of their way, such as a server bringing me drinks at a table so I don't have to fight the bar crowd.

11 hours ago, Jamesatgsu said:

And they still provide excellent service so you may tip extra or not as you choose.

23 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

This is an interesting topic!  I like the math breakdown and the input from everyone.  👍

Lets do the math from the other side!!   Lets go with a CHEERS package cost of $51.95 + 18% equals to a per day cost of $61.30.   You are automatically paying $9.35 in tips.   If you drink 5 drinks per day and tip $1 extra, you effectively tipped 28% ((51.95+9.35+5.00)/51.95!   If you drink 10 drinks per day and tip $1 extra, you effectively tipped 37% ((51.95+9.35+10.00)/51.95!  And if you drink 15 drinks per day and tip $1 extra, you effectively tipped 47% ((51.95+9.35+15.00)/51.95!   That's pretty hefty.

20 hours ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Lets do the math from the other side!!   Lets go with a CHEERS package cost of $51.95 + 18% equals to a per day cost of $61.30.   You are automatically paying $9.35 in tips.   If you drink 5 drinks per day and tip $1 extra, you effectively tipped 28% ((51.95+9.35+5.00)/51.95!   If you drink 10 drinks per day and tip $1 extra, you effectively tipped 37% ((51.95+9.35+10.00)/51.95!  And if you drink 15 drinks per day and tip $1 extra, you effectively tipped 47% ((51.95+9.35+15.00)/51.95!   That's pretty hefty.

This math is flawed.  The price of the drink package has nothing to do with tipping, other than to determine the initial 18% Tip, which is $9.35.

The correct calculation is the total amount tipped divided by the number of drinks purchased divided by the price of a drink.  That is, (9.35 + number of drinks) /  number of drinks /  price of a drink.  So using your examples (and assuming an average drink price of $9.95):

5 drinks:   (9.35 + 5) / 5 / 9.95 = 28.84%

10 drinks:   (9.35 + 10) / 10 / 9.95 = 19.45%

15 drinks:   (9.35 + 15.00) / 15 / 9.95 = 16.31%

So... 12 drinks comes closest at keeping with the 18% Tip:

12 drinks:   (9.35 + 12.00) / 12 / 9.95 = 17.88%

• Like 2