TransAtlantic On Marina

Empehi

45 minutes ago, Empehi said:

Considering a TA on the Marina. How are the stabilizers? Sometimes the Atlantic can be rough.

Also .... what goes on Oceania ships with all the sea days?

Thanks ....

E

Marina is one of the two original builds for Oceania and its stabilization is as good as it can be for an 800 foot 10 year old ship with 66k gross tonnage. As for a transatlantic cruise (on any cruise ship), the seas should be smooth unless they’re not.

We’ve done both Atlantic and Pacific crossings  and FWIW: As small sailing yacht sailors at home, we like being “rocked to sleep.”

As for activities on sea days, Marina has a dedicated cooking school facility, an art loft, some excellent lecturers (often retired profs in disciplines related to aspects of the itinerary), dance lessons, wine/spirits tastings, Phys Ed classes (and complete workout gym). There’s the Aquamar Spa, ever present string quartet, trivia, comprehensive “on demand” video library, games room, excellent library and reasonable entertainment (O uses the same agency as NCL but is limited in what can be offered given the size of the ship).

There’s also some special/traditional transoceanic events including “Country Fair,” and a fun group boat building contest.

Of course, on O ships, there’s always what magazines like Saveur and Bon Appetit have suggested is The Finest Cuisine At Sea™️.

58 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

and reasonable entertainment (O uses the same agency as NCL but is limited in what can be offered given the size of the ship).

I have only sailed on the R ships.

Do the singers & dancers on the O ships also carry out the secondary duties as they do on the R ships ?

41 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

I have only sailed on the R ships.

Do the singers & dancers on the O ships also carry out the secondary duties as they do on the R ships ?

Yes  some act as Hostess  & other duties 

making fake  friends at tea etc..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

We did a northern Atlantic crossing on the Marina. Encountered some rough seas and a bit of nasty weather. However, the captain masterfully took the ship on the best course to avoid the worst of it. The was some rocking and rolling - but nothing extreme. And for the most part the crossing was smooth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bigmjh said:

We did a northern Atlantic crossing on the Marina. Encountered some rough seas and a bit of nasty weather. However, the captain masterfully took the ship on the best course to avoid the worst of it. The was some rocking and rolling - but nothing extreme. And for the most part the crossing was smooth.

We also did a northern crossing on Marina. We have also done two crossings on the ocean liner Queen Mary 2. So much depends on the weather, but we did not feel a lot of difference in terms of rough sea issues between the two ships. Sounds hard to believe, but that was our experience.

16 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Yes  some act as Hostess  & other duties 

making fake  friends at tea etc..

We found the entertainment crew aboard Regatta during our TP from SFO to Papeete to be delightful.  I thought it was fun to see them about the ship.  Nothing fake about them, IMHO.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, marieps said:

We found the entertainment crew aboard Regatta during our TP from SFO to Papeete to be delightful.  I thought it was fun to see them about the ship.  Nothing fake about them, IMHO.

LOL

Glad you had a nice experience  wit them

We had a couple of the dancers  as part of their duties to go & sit with the pax   & talk to them

I found  one  to be very forced conversation  & we could not wait to finish our tea & make excuses to leave

The other young lady was delightful though 

• Like 2

On 1/8/2021 at 12:57 AM, bigmjh said:

Today's cruise ships ahem computerize weather mapping and tracking.  They route to avoid "weather."

Discussing weather with the captan/master of Navigator of the Seas some years ago he stated that the worst weather he ever experienced was in thee Bay of Biscay.

My worst weather experience was on SS United States during a crossing.  The company wanted to know how the ship handled in a hurricane, so we went straight through one.  I was an adolescent at the time and thought it was great fun, especially in the swimming pool (which was far below decks around what we would today view as Deck 2 or 3).

• 3 months later...

We have booked our first Transatlantic on the Marina for 2022. It will be our first cruise on Oceania. We live in California so enjoy warm weather so hope it won’t be terribly chilly. Have others done a TA mid/ late March from Florida and was it warm enough to enjoy sitting outside ?

4 hours ago, madera1 said:

We have booked our first Transatlantic on the Marina for 2022. It will be our first cruise on Oceania. We live in California so enjoy warm weather so hope it won’t be terribly chilly. Have others done a TA mid/ late March from Florida and was it warm enough to enjoy sitting outside ?

Sounds like you may live in SoCal. Even then, there are parts of California that get cold in winter -even to the point of freeze warnings and hundreds of inches of regular annual snowfall (been to Norden lately)

In any case, you should find general TA weather and sea conditions in March to be absolutely perfect.......

...... unless they’re not. After all, it is an ocean.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 3:14 PM, LHT28 said:

LOL

We had a couple of the dancers  as part of their duties to go & sit with the pax   & talk to them

I found  one  to be very forced conversation  & we could not wait to finish our tea & make excuses to leave

We had a similar experience when Oceania used the Jean Ryan dancers. All the dancers and singers looked like Barbie dolls/models and they did not seem comfortable interacting with the passengers. Ever since Oceania became part of the NCL family, the entertainers than we have encountered have all been very personable and friendly. We have shared several pleasant teas and meals with these pleasant young entertainers.

• Like 2

Madera1, 

I am assuming you are in the Central Valley of Ca. We are from Sacramento area and agree about “warm” temps.  We have only done a late November TA and are scheduled to do another one on Riviera leaving Rome Nov. 17. Our experience was fantastic, 5 days of 2-3’ waves and comfortable temperatures. If you have a balcony room, you will have a cashmere lap blanket if it is a bit cool as you are sitting out and sailing. Besides the pool deck area, a great place to enjoy the sun is on the Spa deck because the glass wall blocks the winds. Even if it is a bit cool, you have plenty of large pool towels to cover up with and let the sun warm you.  

You should have a wonderful trip and enjoy your first Oceania experience.  Keep reading the posts and learn about the wonderful dining and cooking and art classes to wile away your idle time. Oh yes, definitely hang out in Barista’s for coffees and teas and hot chocolate and lattes and evening wine and enjoy High Tea at 4:00 daily in Horizons. You will just have to tough it out! 🤪🛳👍
Ciao, 

Bonnie and Gerry

• Like 1

Mauibabes...You have assumed correctly as to our location. We have done a South America around the Horn as well as Norwegian fjord and Alaska cold weather cruises. We have been taking a couple of cruises a year since 2008. Hopefully this cruise will not be canceled.

We have never been disappointed with the entertainment team doubling as other functions. Quite often the Social Hostess is a member of the entertainment team. With one big exception ( and our least favorite CD) the Ass’t Cruise Director is often a member of that team likewise.

It should be noted that many of Oceania’s past and current CD actually worked their way up from the entertainment team to those CD positions . People have to be 2nd Lt long before they make Colonel.

I have found the E team to typically be outgoing and friendly. They accompanied many O shore tours and gave valuable perspectives on what was occurring. I’m an outgoing type person so never found the conversations forced. In fact, with a smile and a direct question, they often give very informative information on issues not regularly officially released.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 4:14 PM, LHT28 said:

LOL

As a shy person myself, and a former performer, I would find this "job" the worst part of my job.  Just because you get up on the stage does NOT mean you are comfortable talking to passengers ...

Mura

• Like 3

On 4/25/2021 at 3:37 PM, mauibabes said:

Madera1, 

I am assuming you are in the Central Valley of Ca. We are from Sacramento area and agree about “warm” temps.  We have only done a late November TA and are scheduled to do another one on Riviera leaving Rome Nov. 17. Our experience was fantastic, 5 days of 2-3’ waves and comfortable temperatures. If you have a balcony room, you will have a cashmere lap blanket if it is a bit cool as you are sitting out and sailing. Besides the pool deck area, a great place to enjoy the sun is on the Spa deck because the glass wall blocks the winds. Even if it is a bit cool, you have plenty of large pool towels to cover up with and let the sun warm you.  

You should have a wonderful trip and enjoy your first Oceania experience.  Keep reading the posts and learn about the wonderful dining and cooking and art classes to wile away your idle time. Oh yes, definitely hang out in Barista’s for coffees and teas and hot chocolate and lattes and evening wine and enjoy High Tea at 4:00 daily in Horizons. You will just have to tough it out! 🤪🛳👍
Ciao, 

Bonnie and Gerry

Hi Babes!  My wife and I will be with you on Riviera, certainly hope we sail.

Be well.  

Frank and Faith

Frank and Faith,

Great to hear of more guests on Riviera in October and hopefully beyond. Looking at your past cruise ships listed, I see Sirena. She was our last cruise, a short December 2019 cruise Los Angeles to Los Angeles. 
We will look forward to meeting you and enjoying another wonderful Oceania cruise. 
Bonnie and Gerry

• Thanks 1