Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Probably helped being a 7 night cruise because a longer cruise might have led to more spread of the virus.

The CDC in the US stated in the short term no cruises over 7 night's when cruising resumes.

54 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Very good point. I have always felt that 7 day cruises won’t be very informative. Many more passengers could have been infected but wouldn’t know until some days after they have disembarked. 14 day or longer cruises will be more telling, as more people would start to display symptoms whilst still on board. 

Agreed that is my view, but did not want to spell it our.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, joeecco said:

Not P&O related as such but I cannot seem to find any cruise online TA that are selling fly cruise packages for next May or July... the normal P&O ones are available but they’re already a package before the TA sells them so I’m really confused as to why I can’t see any fly cruise packages for Celebrity Edge for example. Same with princess.. why is this I wonder? 

If you  mean May or July this year, I assume they are not being sold as they are virtually certain to be cancelled!

1 minute ago, joeecco said:

No I don’t, that’s why I said next. 

OK, sorry. 

I assume that they are not being offered as yet, because the flight schedules for next year have not been released, apart from a couple of locos.

Nothing to stop you booking the cruise you want, and then arranging your own flights, I suppose. Unless a charter flight is involved (such as P&O) I'd always want to book my own flights anyway.

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

OK, sorry. 

I assume that they are not being offered as yet, because the flight schedules for next year have not been released, apart from a couple of locos.

Nothing to stop you booking the cruise you want, and then arranging your own flights, I suppose. Unless a charter flight is involved (such as P&O) I'd always want to book my own flights anyway.

Yeah we would normally but now more nervous about doing so separately after all the troubles last year threw up. We had a Canada and US DIY trip and cruise that was very messy to deal with when 1 was cancelled and the other parts not etc haha. Made for a big Headache 🤕 😅

You are probably right about flight schedules yes, forgotten about that. Seeing some tour operators selling 2022 package holidays made me think all the flights were out but some airlines still go on sale 11 months before which I’d forgotten so thanks for that! 

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

OK, sorry. 

Some UK  based cruise lines have used Titan airways for their European fly cruises, and their standard is much higher than most scheduled air lines.

16 hours ago, Stevie j said:

When we moved into our house 20 yrs ago the bathroom suite was described as 'mink' in colour... It was brown...  dark brown 😂

Ford describe our car as "lunar sky". The DVLA have it as "brown".

Sorry, sorry, sorry - nothing to do with the thread topic - promise not to wander off again.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Some UK  based cruise lines have used Titan airways for their European fly cruises, and their standard is much higher than most scheduled air lines.

To be fair, given the standard of BA these days, that's not saying much!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, joeecco said:

No I don’t, that’s why I said next. 

Scheduled flights are not released until about 11 months before they fly, so could not be on sale with specific flights yet.  Also schedules are likely to be reduced when they are released, so I doubt airlines will commit to possible flight bookings without set flight times for next year either.

1 hour ago, joeecco said:

Yeah we would normally but now more nervous about doing so separately after all the troubles last year threw up. We had a Canada and US DIY trip and cruise that was very messy to deal with when 1 was cancelled and the other parts not etc haha. Made for a big Headache 🤕 😅

You are probably right about flight schedules yes, forgotten about that. Seeing some tour operators selling 2022 package holidays made me think all the flights were out but some airlines still go on sale 11 months before which I’d forgotten so thanks for that! 

If you have disruption cover on your travel insurance loss of one element would mean you can claim for other elements on insurance, or if away you would be covered for a rearranged flight, for instance if that is cancelled.

Edited by tring

12 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

After disembarking about 1000 passengers back to Germany the ship was thoroughly sanitised and allowed to continue with the next scheduled voyage,

Tui is reported to have said that this proves that the safety and health protocols work because the virus did not spread, further on board!

Wonder what the unfortunate 9 passengers thought of this!

I cruise because I hate flying, if I was flown back I’d had very high anxiety!

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

David hasn't flown for 16 years because his heart is affected by the cabin pressure and I haven't flown since I retired 12 years ago so we would not be happy to fly back from anywhere.

The major concern I would have ,is, as a no fly, wheelchair pilot, the possibility of being off loaded from the ship, with cases and suit and dress hand luggage bags in a foreign port.

We do not take phones, tablets or any other means of communication with us as a choice.

Always willing to undertake an adventure, but not willing to endure hassle. In these circumstances, however we were returned to the UK, would still need to get back to Southampton to pick up the car,and then undertake a 3 and 1/2 hour drive home

Do not need it!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

David hasn't flown for 16 years because his heart is affected by the cabin pressure and I haven't flown since I retired 12 years ago so we would not be happy to fly back from anywhere.

Did Mein Schiff passengers actually have to fly back, or were they taken back to the departure port on the ship. Also if these were fly cruises to and from the Canaries, then all the passengers were obviously happy to fly anyway.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Did Mein Schiff passengers actually have to fly back, or were they taken back to the departure port on the ship. Also if these were fly cruises to and from the Canaries, then all the passengers were obviously happy to fly anyway.

Is not the point, the protocols that have been set up by the cruise lines, rather then the individual circumstances?

It would seem that being identified as a direct contact, albeit unknowingly, with a suspected case, means firstly your holiday being curtailed, being isolated on board and being dumped off at the next port.

Can't wait!

Edited by mercury7289

10 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Is not the point, the protocols that have been set up by the cruise lines, rather then the individual circumstances?

It would seem that being identified as a direct contact, albeit unknowingly, with a suspected case, means firstly your holiday being curtailed, being isolated on board and being dumped off at the next port.

Can't wait!

I doubt they just "dumped" anyone off the ship, but I assume those taken to specific hospitals that were able/willing to treat covid patients, were deemed a significant risk either to their own health,  or infecting others. I am sure there would be some people who would object if seriously ill patients were to remain on the ship until its disembarction port. It is never possible to please all the people all the time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I doubt they just "dumped" anyone off the ship, but I assume those taken to specific hospitals that were able/willing to treat covid patients, were deemed a significant risk either to their own health,  or infecting others. I am sure there would be some people who would object if seriously ill patients were to remain on the ship until its disembarction port. It is never possible to please all the people all the time.

Or some of the people, any of the time 😉

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Can't wait!

It would look like it could be something like that, though we need to realise Germany have only vaccinated 4% of their population (c.f. our 20%) as yet, and they are also do not have the capability of doing much in the way of virus sequencing, so are not as well up on any variants circulating in their country as we are, which is why they have brought in stricter border measures in the last couple of days or so.  We will have vaccinated a lot more, especially of the vulnerable population and with two jabs, before cruises are even thought about here IMO.

The cruise lines should certainly give us clear information about what will happen to people who test positive when on the ship, though  being "off loaded at the next port" would not be such a problem if within in the UK.  I am not convinced that any criteria will be "set up by the cruise lines" as it is well known there has already been extensive discussions between the cruise lines, CLIA and the Government which has convinced me that the criteria will be something set out by the government (and other governments if a ship travels abroad), albeit with consultation for the cruise lines.  Will also mean much the same policies between cruise lines, which I think we are all expecting anyway.

Interesting that Boris spoke about using a combination of vaccinations and testing to be able to open night clubs and theatres, in today's briefing.  That will presumably include cruise ships in risk rating, so looks like we can all expect at least the testing to persist on cruises for some time to come.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The 9 passengers concerned tested negative,but were off loaded! as classed as direct contacts!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Was that the case with Mein Schiff though?  When I read about it, I understood that all who tested positive or were just contacts were initially quarantined in the ship, then sent ashore in Gran Canaria.  Did not sound to me as though all, and probably not any, were seriously ill at the time.  So more likely they were sent to quarantine hotels than hospitals.  Serious illness does not normally happen until about a week after infection.

• Like 1