Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

17 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

“Review on international travel to complete by April 12th. PM nods to the idea of summer holidays, in that the review will be complete with a view to allow people to "plan for the summer."

Whist you might be able to leave the UK, you might find that not that many countries will let you in !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Whist you might be able to leave the UK, you might find that not that many countries will let you in !

Some likely wont, but I think the likes of Spain, Portugal and Greece may depending on their situation at the time. By summer all adults should be vaccinated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Carnival Corporation shares currently up to £15.60 and rising! I now am thinking my Princess fly/cruise this July might actually happen too!

As I said earlier, much depends on the actions of other countries. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Carnival Corporation shares currently up to £15.60 and rising! I now am thinking my Princess fly/cruise this July might actually happen too!

I’m glad I bought shares in the dip!!! Hoping my Britannia Aug/Sept will go ahead! I don’t care if they make it all Spain I’m still getting on that ship 😂

Caribbean fly cruise will be an interesting one. It would be in all the cruise lines Interest to vaccinate island workers! 

15 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

I’m glad I bought shares in the dip!!! Hoping my Britannia Aug/Sept will go ahead! I don’t care if they make it all Spain I’m still getting on that ship 😂

Caribbean fly cruise will be an interesting one. It would be in all the cruise lines Interest to vaccinate island workers! 

Our cruise embarks in Civitavecchia. Costa and MSC will have had plenty of cruises out of Italy by July so the protocols should have been well tried and tested. 

If there are last minute itinerary changes I can live with that. I just need to get away from work and get into the sunshine.

• Like 1

I do not really want to put a dampener on the future outlook for cruises, but cruise lines will need the confidence to re appoint staff, possibly get them vaccinated, bring them here, train up in protocols etc.  Always been said it takes 3 months to get to the situation when they could actually start a cruise, then there will be the short cruises to nowhere (or a few ports).  Should mean P&O should be making further cancellations soon, but I wonder if they will.

At least we can look forward to some freedom in the UK thise summer, which is all most of us have been hoping of for a while.  Some sun next winter will be mightily appreciated by us though.

Edited by tring
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Our cruise embarks in Civitavecchia. Costa and MSC will have had plenty of cruises out of Italy by July so the protocols should have been well tried and tested. 

If there are last minute itinerary changes I can live with that. I just need to get away from work and get into the sunshine.

I imagine the Italian ports will have it sorted by then! Fingers crossed it goes ahead for you, we all need a break! I’ve been working all through lockdown (very thankful for the fact) and it would be nice to just relax for a couple of weeks!!! 

6 minutes ago, tring said:

I do not really want to put a dampener on the future outlook for cruises, but cruise lines will need the confidence to re appoint staff, possibly get them vaccinated, bring them here, train up in protocols etc.  Always been said it takes 3 months to get to the situation when they could actually start a cruise, then there will be the short cruises to nowhere (or a few ports).  Should mean P&O should be making further cancellations soon, but I wonder if they will.

At least we can look forward to some freedom in the UK thise summer, which is all most of us have been hoping of for a while.  Some sun next winter will be mightily appreciated by us though.

I think you are correct. Planning on a restart based on a "review" would be highly risky, and costly. 

I would have thought a July start might be more likely. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tring said:

They've also got to get the ships ship shape to welcome guests.

Getting  started again is a massive undertaking  - so I'm not expecting any meaningful cruising for some time.

Possibly a few tester cruisers in the later part of summer - but not the scheduled cruises

But all the dates are subject to review anyway  - nothing is certain yet. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Wowzz, P&O have 3 ships of Grand and Royal Princess size, and unless things have changed dramatically the Princess standard is very similar to P&O, and until Covid their pricing structure was quite a bit higher than P&O, and their decor is far more glitzy than Aurora and Arcadia.

And Princess have two 175,000 tonne ships on order.

24 minutes ago, tring said:

I agree. I fear that people are getting carried away based on partial and highly provisional info and are not considering the full picture. ‘Overseas holidays’, even when they do eventually start, do not necessarily mean cruises. They are a very different beast altogether. There are countless factors to consider, just a few being overseas vaccination and infection rates, lead times re-crewing ships, different countries attitudes to cruise ships with thousands of people descending on a port at the same time to name just a few. As I have said several times before, cruises were the first overseas holidays to be pulled and, for the same reasons, will be the last to resume. I have heard nothing this afternoon that has changed my view that overseas cruises, as we know them, are still unlikely before the autumn.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, joeecco said:

Yes I agree, I’ve noticed that every time I’ve looked. But our friends that have sailed on them say it’s more like Ibiza at sea compared to P&O which has always baffled me haha! 

I wonder why the prices are more. Maybe the slightly smaller ships means the operating costs are higher?...

or maybe they are just greedy like their parent company who crosses the T’s and dots the I’s.. 😂

Well, from my one experience of a Marella cruise, they are certainly not spending it on the food...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm confused Jean. I thought that Azura and/or Ventura had an outside Prom deck.

Avril

6 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes it does Avril, but if you are inside the ship, there are no windows out to sea on that deck.  Very strange layout.

But it's not wrap-around, meaning you have to go inside the ship to get from port to starboard and vice versa.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Ha ha, the latest I read about Aurora was that everyone was in bed by 10pm!  What absolute rubbish.

5 hours ago, Elderflower said:

Quite right Jean. I love Aurora and as I always ate second sitting can absolutely confirm that many people are around until at least 10.30pm in the dining room and then off to catch the late show in the theater often followed by live music in the Crow's Nest. After that, a trip to the buffet for strong Horlicks. Plenty of people still around. Oh how I miss that ship and it's crew. Have been having a Whatsapp video chat recently with a friend who was a waiter. Lovely weather in Kerala so I showed him live pictures of it snowing. His little boy was mesmerised.

Pat

Mostly cruised on Oriana and Aurora. Seldom back to my cabin before midnight.

• Like 1

I wonder how ships will deal with the sunbed situation when they start going again. Usually you are penned in like sardines on the pool deck! It makes sense to me to allow suite and Ligurian tier guests to use The Retreat. I also wonder whether they will only allow waiter service for drinks now across all bars to limit queuing.

I’m sure there are people working all this out as we speak! 

18 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

I wonder how ships will deal with the sunbed situation when they start going again. Usually you are penned in like sardines on the pool deck! It makes sense to me to allow suite and Ligurian tier guests to use The Retreat. I also wonder whether they will only allow waiter service for drinks now across all bars to limit queuing.

I’m sure there are people working all this out as we speak! 

I’ve always imagined that the rules onboard will be similar to the prevailing rules on land.

They seem to be saying that all restrictions will end ‘no earlier than 21st June’.  If that’s the case, then there would be nothing to stop passengers being penned in like sardines anywhere on board, with no masks!

However, cruise ships are closed communities, where virus transmission can be rife. Not sure I’d be up for a mask free, no restriction cruise this summer

I think we will have to wait and see how things develop.

I'm really glad that I switched my remaining cruises to 2022, so there is plenty of time to see what happens on board and the fall out from the first cruises. 

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ve always imagined that the rules onboard will be similar to the prevailing rules on land.

They seem to be saying that all restrictions will end ‘no earlier than 21st June’.  If that’s the case, then there would be nothing to stop passengers being penned in like sardines anywhere on board, with no masks!

However, cruise ships are closed communities, where virus transmission can be rife. Not sure I’d be up for a mask free, no restriction cruise this summer

I'm really glad that I switched my remaining cruises to 2022, so there is plenty of time to see what happens on board and the fall out from the first cruises. 

We have said that we will not cruises at all this year and are not booking anything at the moment for 2022 because like you we want to see how things go for a while after cruising restarts.  I think that the restrictions will  change the cruise experience to something that will not be as relaxing as we like.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I am thinking along the same lines, our next cruise is Jan 2022 and I am hoping by then things will be sorted and we won't get another wave in November time and the vaccine booster will do the business. However if things go well we would consider using FCCs late summer.

• Like 1