Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

12 minutes ago, shopaholic6 said:

"Also, it's not a game of chicken. The cruise in April cannot go ahead, so I am simply wanting P&O to announce the obvious, which is that the cruise has to be cancelled.  As you stated above, you want P&O to cancel so you can get a FCC in order to cover the cost of another cruise in future and by doing so you're waiting for them to make the first move, when you could just as easily cancel and receive a full refund for monies paid."

Surely that is incorrect - if Sidekick cancels, he will lose his deposit.  That's the whole point.  P&O are hanging on to money they KNOW they need to refund.  Why should anyone lose their deposit just because P&O are not doing to decent thing by cancelling cruises they know will not go ahead?

From the P&O website, "Those guests who would prefer a 100% cash refund should fill out this web form and refrain from calling the Customer Contact Centre. We are working to process all new and outstanding refund requests as quickly as possible"

4 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

From the P&O website, "Those guests who would prefer a 100% cash refund should fill out this web form and refrain from calling the Customer Contact Centre. We are working to process all new and outstanding refund requests as quickly as possible"

That's AFTER they have cancelled - instead of the FCC.  If you cancel before they do, you are subject to their usual cancellation rules, and the minimum is loss of deposit. 

"If you're booked on a P&O Cruises holiday due to sail on or before 15 August 2021 that is unaffected by our latest pause and wish to cancel, P&O Cruises shall be entitled to levy a cancellation charge as a percentage of the price paid in accordance with the following scales... "

Edited by shopaholic6
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

I thought this only refers to cancelled cruises?

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

My points are not meant to be inflammatory, just looking at things from a pragmatic perspective...you have every right to cancel and get 100% of your money back, but would rather wait for P&O to do the work and reward you for not doing it first

Am I missing something? You only get 100% of your money back when P&O cancels the cruise. If the passenger cancels before then they lose money, as per P&O’s T’s and C’s. This is the whole point that sidekick is making isn’t it?

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

That form is only used when P&O cancel the cruise. 

In this scenario FCC is the default, but if you want the refund instead you fill out the form.

If you want to cancel a cruise before P&O themselves cancel, the options are move it to a future cruise or lose all monies paid. 

• Like 3

It's sometimes very difficult to get a point across when sitting at a keyboard, especially if you are not educated to a high level, such as myself. I think, the point I am trying to make is that P&O know full well that the April 2020 cruise, and other cruises, will not go ahead, but they are holding back announcing that cancellations. I have absolutely no clue why they have not cancelled the April cruise, unless I am missing something?

I would lose my deposit if I asked for a refund, and if I remember correctly, my deposit was made before they introduced the 5% deposit, so it's not just a few pennies.

We all want something to look forward to, whether it's this year or next, so I would prefer to book another cruise using the money I have already given them.

I don't think I am being unreasonable hoping to gain a bit of FCC so I can book something and be able to afford it.

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, sidekick180 said:

It's sometimes very difficult to get a point across when sitting at a keyboard, especially if you are not educated to a high level, such as myself. I think, the point I am trying to make is that P&O know full well that the April 2020 cruise, and other cruises, will not go ahead, but they are holding back announcing that cancellations. I have absolutely no clue why they have not cancelled the April cruise, unless I am missing something?

I would lose my deposit if I asked for a refund, and if I remember correctly, my deposit was made before they introduced the 5% deposit, so it's not just a few pennies.

We all want something to look forward to, whether it's this year or next, so I would prefer to book another cruise using the money I have already given them.

I don't think I am being unreasonable hoping to gain a bit of FCC so I can book something and be able to afford it.

No need to put yourself down, your posts are all extremely well articulated and made complete sense to all but one poster, who happened to be wrong! The dissection of your post, point by point, was somewhat unnecessary IMO and should warrant an apology. Every point that you made was factually correct and very well said and I agree with you completely. 

• Like 11

There’s been an apology, Selbourne, just a couple of posts back.  

I don’t have a dog in this fight.  No bookings for 2021.  I still think P&O are acting badly - though of course they are in a terrible situation

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

No need to put yourself down, your posts are all extremely well articulated and made complete sense to all but one poster, who happened to be wrong! The dissection of your post, point by point, was somewhat unnecessary IMO and should warrant an apology. Every point that you made was factually correct and very well said and I agree with you completely. 

Thank you for your very kind words.

I'm not bothered about getting an apology, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and perhaps my original post came across as being a bit selfish.

I'm definitely not a selfish person. To be honest, the cruise is more for my other half who has worked for the NHS all the way through this pandemic and she suffers badly with Fibromyalgia, Asthma and Osteoarthritis. She desperately needs something to look forward to, so if it's going to cost me a few hundred pounds more I will just have to find that extra money. It will be worth it to be able to see her relax after all that has been going on.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Eddie99 said:

There’s been an apology, Selbourne, just a couple of posts back.  

I don’t have a dog in this fight.  No bookings for 2021.  I still think P&O are acting badly - though of course they are in a terrible situation

I saw that post, but it didn’t read like an apology to me. I’m in the same situation as you - no cruises booked - but I have a lot of sympathy for those in sidekicks situation and think that P&O have no excuse whatsoever for not cancelling those cruises that legally cannot operate (pre 17th May). Nothing in the roadmap or 12th April review will change that situation, so there will be no more info forthcoming on this. As others have said, it’s bordering on last years refund debacle all over again. When will they learn? 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I saw that post, but it didn’t read like an apology to me. I’m in the same situation as you - no cruises booked - but I have a lot of sympathy for those in sidekicks situation and think that P&O have no excuse whatsoever for not cancelling those cruises that legally cannot operate (pre 17th May). Nothing in the roadmap or 12th April review will change that situation, so there will be no more info forthcoming on this. As others have said, it’s bordering on last years refund debacle all over again. When will they learn? 

They won't learn because they don't care, they have shown this yet again by not cancelling the cruises that can't possibly sail. Initially I had some sympathy for the cruise lines, nobody wanted covid but we all have to deal with it. There seems to be very little compromise from P&O and they are alienating their customers. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Am I missing something? You only get 100% of your money back when P&O cancels the cruise. If the passenger cancels before then they lose money, as per P&O’s T’s and C’s. This is the whole point that sidekick is making isn’t it?

I think sidekick prefers to wait for cancellation and get an enhanced FCC to use on another cruise, as opposed to transferring before cancellation and only getting a credit for what he has paid.  However it has been pointed out that if he had done the latter back in Oct he could have benefitted far more by getting the launch discount, as opposed to now paying probably more than the FCC's enhanced value, especially if they now only offer a 10% uplift.

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think sidekick prefers to wait for cancellation and get an enhanced FCC to use on another cruise, as opposed to transferring before cancellation and only getting a credit for what he has paid.  However it has been pointed out that if he had done the latter back in Oct he could have benefitted far more by getting the launch discount, as opposed to now paying probably more than the FCC's enhanced value, especially if they now only offer a 10% uplift.

I’m sure you are correct John, but back in October an awful lot of posters on this forum seemed very confident that cruises would have resumed by Spring this year and sidekick is now having to rely on the enhanced FCC to make up the now inflated prices. Sidekick has also been up front and said that he can’t afford the extra £500 for the comparable cruise, so is now forced to having to wait for P&O to offer something. A very difficult situation and highlights the human impact of P&O’s rather heartless approach to its loyal customers. 

• Like 10

As always, a dose of realism from Professor Jonathan Van Tam (JVT) at last nights Downing Street briefing, when asked whether overseas foreign holidays would be possible this summer;

"We are still in a zone of great uncertainty about what the virus will do next. 

"On top of that many of the vaccination programmes in Europe, a place where we frequently go on holiday, are running behind ours. 

"Whether we can go on holidays abroad depends on what other countries will say and do in terms of foreign tourism. 

"I am not going to give you a firm answer, I don't think there is one at this point."

• Like 11

Well I’ve received an email from P&O at 10am this morning, but it’s yet another reminder that we have some FCC to use and, as I predicted, announcing the promotion that replaced the offer that ended 1st March - now 5% deposit and additional FCC, which doubtless works out as the same net cost as the promotion that it replaces. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

As always, a dose of realism from Professor Jonathan Van Tam (JVT) at last nights Downing Street briefing, when asked whether overseas foreign holidays would be possible this summer;

"On top of that many of the vaccination programmes in Europe, a place where we frequently go on holiday, are running behind ours. 

"Whether we can go on holidays abroad depends on what other countries will say and do in terms of foreign tourism. 

"I am not going to give you a firm answer, I don't think there is one at this point."

As always, and honest and straightforward answer from the only person with no political aspirations, just the desire to do the right thing for the people of this country. Now climbing down from my soapbox, fully aware that I'm not going on our June cruise.

Avril

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Well I’ve received an email from P&O at 10am this morning, but it’s yet another reminder that we have some FCC to use and, as I predicted, announcing the promotion that replaced the offer that ended 1st March - now 5% deposit and additional FCC, which doubtless works out as the same net cost as the promotion that it replaces. 

Oh you cynic!🤣

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

As always, and honest and straightforward answer from the only person with no political aspirations, just the desire to do the right thing for the people of this country. Now climbing down from my soapbox, fully aware that I'm not going on our June cruise.

Avril

This mornings news about vaccine passports, or Digital Green Pass as the EU wants to call them, seems to suggest that the EU is desperate to get these operational by June to try and save this years summer tourist trade.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Oh you cynic!🤣

😂 You know as well as I do that this has been P&O’s modus operandi for years. Price comes down, OBC comes down. Price goes up, OBC goes up. Net difference = square root of b****r all. Classic marketing department tactics to work around the technicalities of the law concerning ‘sales’. BTW, did you know that DFS has a sale on? 😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I thought that as well, I tend to believe there will be little overseas travel this year, and what there is will from Autumn onwards, assuming no major resurge of virus. We are not planning any cruises or overseas travel in 2021, if we do go beyond these shores it will only be to visit our friends in Brittany, as we have had to postpone our 2020 visits and we would drive there.

Any holiday we take will be in U.K., Scotland will be high on the list, we have yet to visit the west coast and we have always wanted to visit Skye, so this maybe this is the year we do that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

He very elequently said. " Don't know "

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

😂 You know as well as I do that this has been P&O’s modus operandi for years. Price comes down, OBC comes down. Price goes up, OBC goes up. Net difference = square root of b****r all. Classic marketing department tactics to work around the technicalities of the law concerning ‘sales’. BTW, did you know that DFS has a sale on? 😂 

It would appear Cunard has taken up the DFS sale model as they had a sale due to end yesterday. I had my eye on a 7 night Fjords cruise as we are due to be on the Baltic cruise before so thought if it happens we will do a B2B if the Baltic cruise doesn't happen (as I expect) then there is a chance of the Fjords cruise going ahead. Anyway booked Bangkok / Phuket / Abu Dhabi land based holiday for late this early next instead. But I have just check the price in the same cabin and everything is the same, OBC and price.