Alaska cruises from Vancover

Roaming Rover

Back on topic. No surprise, Canada is starting to seal its borders. Not good for countries where covid is out of control. Not good for any cruiser.

The federal government will require incoming air travellers to get a PCR test on arrival, and wait 3 days in a quarantine hotel at their own expense. Infected travellers will have to quarantine at a government facility, not at home.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-canada-travel-restrictions-1.5894052

Moreover, our 4 airlines are cancelling flights to the Caribbean and Mexico till April 30. Making arrangements to repatriate Canadian residents visiting those places. Ha! 😆

Unfortunately, it also means that Alaska 2021 cruises from Vancouver is endangered. Sorry.

One last word on the Florida vaccine situation. The gov ordered the vaccines to go only to Floridians and snowbirds who own homes in Florida after finding that people were flocking to Florida for shots. They were coming from other states not just Canada. Most states have not started over 65's yet but Florida has for a while. Hubby and I got our first shots on Jan 7th. We will be very angry if our second shot is not available next week because of outsiders. We all need the protection but should get it from our own home state.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

So it’s “anti-Canadian” to point out the fact that closed Canadian ports is a barrier to Alaska cruising?  Huh?  I know there are some sensitive types on these boards, but that’s ridiculous. 

No.  The content of his following posts showed clear anti-Canadian sentiment.  

1 hour ago, T8NCruise said:

No.  The content of his following posts showed clear anti-Canadian sentiment.  

What I posted was fact, not sentiment. I see Canadians as mostly no different than anyone else, including Americans.  I do, however, have a problem with hypocrites.  Don't bash the spread of COVID in the US and cheer the border closure, but then give a free pass to those who are flying here right now on extended vacations and taking advantage of our vaccine availability.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately there will always be some who bend the rules for their own gain.  Recently a wealthy Canadian couple flew to the Yukon and then chartered a small plane to a remote community and lied about who they were to get a shot.  They did receive fines, but more importantly the man lost his 10 million dollar a year job!  We also had several Americans travelling to Alaska via our national  parks.  

Our government imposed additional restrictions yesterday where All travellers will have to quarantine in hotels at a cost of 2000$ each until they test negative.   We have also stopped  flights to Mexico and the Caribbean.   But many Canadians own US property and may choose to go there. We are usually snowbirds but of all the folks we know all but one couple have stayed home.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Thanks 1

We returned home earlier than expected last March because of covid.    We have been snowbirds since retiring, not in the US though. 

We are home this winter like many others as was recommended by the Gov't.  Same with others we know with the exception of one couple who winter in Hawaii.  We also travel for two months in the fall but could not this past year.  The very last thing we want is to contract covid away from home in another country.

Getting very tired of the winter and we would love to go away.  But....this desire is tempered by the fact that we are in good health.  Unlike many others who are in hospital, suffering from the long term effects of covid, or have become financially or medically at risk.

Reading lots of travel books and thinking about our travel  plans over the next two years of travel...whenever it starts up again.   Not one of which includes a cruise.  We won't be parting with a dime for any travel product until we know that this scourge has passed.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

What I posted was fact, not sentiment. I see Canadians as mostly no different than anyone else, including Americans.  I do, however, have a problem with hypocrites.  Don't bash the spread of COVID in the US and cheer the border closure, but then give a free pass to those who are flying here right now on extended vacations and taking advantage of our vaccine availability.

Is there a link to media report (I'm there must have been some) of the riot created by Canadians demanding vaccines in the US?

59 minutes ago, iancal said:

The very last thing we want is to contract covid away from home in another country.

I think many feel that way, including me. I yearn to travel but the last thing I want to do is contract this nasty virus and be subjected to a foreign health care system, unsure if I’d be covered by my insurance. Most people are safest in their home country. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

Sorry guys. Canada plays it safe...

"Cruise ship visits to Canada now banned until February 2022. Transport Minister Marc Garneau can rescind the order if pandemic conditions improve"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-cruise-ship-ban-effects-feb-2022-1.5901198

We already figured that our August 2021

Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver would be a no go. Things could change but, Canada is also falling far short with vaccinations compared to most other large countries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PROCRUISE said:

Things could change but, Canada is also falling far short with vaccinations compared to most other large countries.

Sorry. IMHO, Canada compares favourably to other western countries. See graph.

In terms of covid vaccination, >80% of the population are willing to vax. So, we could pass the finish line before others?

https://torontosun.com/news/national/most-canadians-now-want-covid-19-vaccine-asap-poll

Global new deaths per capita Jan 25.JPG

1 hour ago, PROCRUISE said:

We already figured that our August 2021

Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver would be a no go. Things could change but, Canada is also falling far short with vaccinations compared to most other large countries.

And some small countries (Israel, England, etc!)  Yes, I believe we are in about 22nd place in vaccination rollout.  Most of my UK relatives have already had their first shot, and some had 2nd.  I may get mine late summer.

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

Sorry. IMHO, Canada compares favourably to other western countries. See graph.

In terms of covid vaccination, >80% of the population are willing to vax. So, we could pass the finish line before others?

https://torontosun.com/news/national/most-canadians-now-want-covid-19-vaccine-asap-poll

Global new deaths per capita Jan 25.JPG

I'm sure things will improve but currently Canada ranks 29th in the world for percentage of population that has been vaccinated for COVID. Since Vancouver is one of my favorite cities in the world, I indeed hope for Canadian success with vaccinations.

22 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

I guess not much chance of our Vancouver to Vancouver Alaska on May 22 nd..Maybe things will improve faster than most think and the order will be rescinded.

Ever the optimist!!!!.

Of 2021?  Not a chance but hey, hope is a wonderful thing.

• Like 2

I agree. 2021 Alaska cruise season is a write-off. Cruise lines need a lot of lead time to rearrange their logistics in order to restart their cruise season. Time has pretty much run out even if the ban will be lifted mid way through 2021