The Daily for Monday Jan 25, 2021

richwmn

Just now, rafinmd said:

I just talked to Roger.  He claims his weakness was due to jet lag.  I'm taking the weakness out of the care list but he still has surgery on his radar.

Roy

That's hopeful news!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am a Windows person for my desktop, but do have two iPads and an iPhone for when we travel.  Just replaced my desktop after nine years and am really happy with the replacement.  Having a 256 GB solid state drive along with the 1TB hard disk means that it boots up in about 20 seconds compared to 4 minutes with the old one.  Good news!  We both got our first Covid shots today.  Took about an hour from check in to out the door, including the 15 minute wait after the shot.  Also have our appointment for the follow-up in 30 days.  We received the Moderna version.  So far, no reaction after two hours.

Ray

• Like 11

Thought I would add one thing that pertains to cruising.  I needed to wear a short sleeve shirt and a sleeveless sweater to make it easy to get the shot.  Found a Polo sweater in the closet and put it on but noticed a lot of change in the pocket.  It was $9.50 in Hong Kong dollars.  Guess I last used it as we were boarding the Westerdam just under a year ago.

Ray

• Like 12

Good evening everyone!  Such a rainy day here, even though we expected the rain it seems overwhelming to have so much and for two days in a row. I can’t remember the last time that it rained like this. And at 5:30 pm here it’s only 39 degrees, burrrr. Flurries are predicted for tomorrow, we’ll see if that happens. 🥶 Blue the hairless pup steps out on the patio and runs back into the house, even with a t-shirt and a sweater. He hates the cold and rain. 

Thank you for the Daily Rich!  Thank you for your list Roy and good to hear your brother just has jet lag. 

None of the days fit me but the meal suggestion sounds interesting. We are having leftovers tonight. I remember my parents having Rob Roy’s in the 60’s. My Mom is a scotch fan. 

Have a great evening everyone!

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 9

Such a fun read for today.  My Mac talks to my iPad and iPhone, so I am happy.  Windows used to kick my printer off every time they had an update!  I have had the Mac for almost 4 years, and still learning, but love the worry free experience.

Irish coffee is my kind of day.   I always have to have at least one on a HAL ship.  But, I have been known to try the version in other places.  Best I have ever had is my own version at home in my Mother's Irish coffee glasses!

We have had rain/snow mix again today, but nothing is sticking, so roads aren't bad!  Moisture is great.  Sure that our parched desert landscape will look great in a few days.  Need more to help out so that fire danger decreases in the spring/summer/fall.

Have a great evening everyone.

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

I still have my 1979 Radio Shack Model I.  I figure it'll be worth something some day.  My next one was a Radio Shack Model III in 1983.  Except for laptops, that was the last computer that I ever bought.  Because after that there was open architecture so I've been building my own from scratch ever since.  Still do.  My friends know that the ones I build are better than any that can be bought so whenever I build a new one (about every 2 years) friends are eager to take the one the new one replaces.  I do remember Basic, assembler, Fortran, APL, etc.  And I was perhaps the last one in the USA to give up DOS.  Didn't cave into acceptance of Windows 'til 1996, and that was because developers weren't supporting the DOS programs any more.

Yeah, but did you have an 8-track player in your car?..............

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Av8rix said:

I still have my 1979 Radio Shack Model I.  I figure it'll be worth something some day.  My next one was a Radio Shack Model III in 1983.  Except for laptops, that was the last computer that I ever bought.  Because after that there was open architecture so I've been building my own from scratch ever since.  Still do.  My friends know that the ones I build are better than any that can be bought so whenever I build a new one (about every 2 years) friends are eager to take the one the new one replaces.  I do remember Basic, assembler, Fortran, APL, etc.  And I was perhaps the last one in the USA to give up DOS.  Didn't cave into acceptance of Windows 'til 1996, and that was because developers weren't supporting the DOS programs any more.

DH built a few computers, but since he retired, neither of us needs a fancy computer.

A year or so ago, I found an 8 1/2” floppy disk in the attic.  Of course, we don’t have a way to see what’s on it.

I guess it’s confession time.  When we got the model Ii, DH set it up, but left it to me to install the word processing program. Without an external floppy drive, I needed to switch back and forth between two floppies.  At one point I saw press enter, but missed the line above that said switch disks.  So I wound up wiping everything.  The only solution was to go back to the store and see if they could fix it, which fortunately they did.  Ever since, I try to make sure to read all the options before before pressing enter.

Maybe we should have kept the model Ii, but when we moved from Pennsylvania to Texas, we gave it to the girls school for the nurse to use.

Lenda

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Av8rix said:

Not too long ago, when I was at my desktop system at work and on the phone with our Help Desk ( who had remoted into my system) to get assistance in fixing a problem, I called up the command line and typed in a DOS command ( don’t remember now what it was). The tech (probably in his 20s) said “I can’t believe you did that”. 

I told him “why? We all had to use the command line before Windows.”

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, dfish said:

I did in my first car, a Plymouth Duster.

Debbie, there is another thing we have in common.....when I started at Kent State I had a gold color Plymouth Duster which had of course an 8 track player!  When the ships get back sailing I would love it if we happen to meet you on some cruise and can compare notes! It brings back a lot of old college memories!!!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
Added info
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Well, I missed Caribbean Princess leaving.  It looks like a night-time departure   When I checked about a half hour ago it was still daylight there, although at home it was already dark with sleet falling.

Roy

I was so surprised to learn how much further West than the rest of the East Coast Florida is.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oakridger said:

Debbie, there is another thing we have in common.....when I started at Kent State I had a gold color Plymouth Duster which had of course an 8 track player!  When the ships get back sailing I would love it if we happen to meet you on some cruise and can compare notes! It brings back a lot of old college memories!!!

~Nancy

That would be a blast.  My duster was maroon and it had a carburator problem.  Never ran right.  It had a habit of stalling out whenever and wherever.   

7 hours ago, dfish said:

That would be a blast.  My duster was maroon and it had a carburator problem.  Never ran right.  It had a habit of stalling out whenever and wherever.   

My brother had one with a 340 in it,  wow when I drove it!