Positivity Thread!

ScratchTheRat

10 hours ago, casofilia said:

@ScratchTheRat

Make sure they know about it so they can sing you "Happy Birthday" and give you a birthday cake.   That is if they still do that!!

Oh I love a sing song! But they can keep the cake, or share it round the tables. I don't eat sweet things 😄

9 hours ago, Falckon said:

ScratchTheRat, it is very refreshing to find such a positive post, especially in these negative times. This board used to be so much fun to read. With the exception of a few snarky posts, it was full of valuable and interesting information for cruisers, both new and experienced.

I hope that people will respond favorably to your request for their favorite cruising moments. With your positive attitude, I'm sure that you will enjoy your first NCL cruise and many more.

My favorite place is the Haven bar. It is like the TV show, "Cheers". Within a few days, the bartenders know what you drink, and everyone knows your name. You meet extremely interesting people, from all over the world who are willing to open up with warm and friendly conversations.

Such a lovely idea 🙂

I must say that's one thing that stood out on my first cruise, how within a day or so everyone remembered your name!

6 hours ago, oteixeira said:

Always happy to see a positive post.

Favorite food?  Love the Seafood Fritto Misto in the Haven restaurant, as well as the Avocado Toast for breakfast.  

What I miss most.  Just the joy of being on an adventure at sea where every turn is fun and relaxing.  I boarded my last cruise a year ago Monday, and I really feel it.  Can't wait to get back aboard.

Oooh avocado toast ❤️

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

BUT, let this thread be a positivity thread! A place for us optimists to hang out and discuss the good stuff!

Let's start with me asking "What is your favourite NCL menu item?" and if you have a photo, please show! 🙂

I have two old favourites which I don't think they have on the menu anymore. Banana Foster's at Cagney's and Fettuccini at the Haven restaurant.

2020 was a bad year in many ways but economically it was an amazing year, for me. I spent less money than I normally do and my investments on the stock market was up 54%! Last year was the first year I earned more on the stock market than on my job!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

This will be my first NCL cruise. I am really looking forward to the Teppenyaki and Cagney's!

Shrimp and Scallops at Tappenyaki were fantastic, wife isn't a seafood eater so she went with Steak/Chicken and that was very good as well.

• Like 1

What I miss most about cruising is the ocean sunrises and sunsets. 

The crew. 

The freedom of being at sea. 

Cagney’s steaks and mac n cheese.

Anyone remember O’Sheehan’s chicken pot pie?

The fireworks over the ocean. 

Vibe Beach Club. 

ScratchTheRat....thanks for starting this thread!

My photo of a sunrise onboard Breakaway somewhere on the Atlantic on our way to Bermuda.

Everyday at Sea is a Good Day. 

25572017-22C0-46CE-8A63-9095DE93787F.jpeg

• Like 6

Leon, the bartender at Vibe was great. 

Elliot, the bartender at Shaker’s was great. 

Dancho, the bar server by the pool during the day, Shaker’s by night, was great. 

Oh yeah, the warm caramel sauce with hard ice cream at the buffet was great, too. Mmmmmmmmm.

Pizza sucked. Sorry. 

I hope we all get to sail again soon. 

• Like 1

This may be odd because it is so low key and I really didn't "visit" the island proper.  BVI Tortola.  We got off the ship and there was an open air bar with a local lady selling a fish plate (fermented cold fish) and johnny cakes.  We sat at that bar for hours enjoying ourselves, talking to locals that worked the ship pier area, and watching the world go by, and the weather was just perfect.  Totally unplanned but great day.

• Like 3

BVI Tortola...I remember swimming with the dolphins with my son on our first cruise, 2006, Carnival Legend, out of NYC. 

If we ever get there again, I will look for that open air bar. Sounds like my kind of place these days. Unplanned days can be pretty amazing. 

• Like 2

Love Tortola too!   Walk into town and enjoy Conch Fritters with a Pain Killer at Pussers Bar.    Great beaches like Cane Garden Bay.

Favorite foods-  In addition to that 4 Mushroom soup at Le Bistro,  order some ice cream to go with the leftover chocolate fondue dessert.     

Also, any day they have Soufflé dessert in the MDR.  Have had several different varieties and all were served  great.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2021 at 2:48 PM, prov2727 said:

Coconut shrimp was an appetizer but probably my favorite non-sweet served in the dining room.

I love coconut shrimp also. I'd try to tell the waiter to "keep 'em coming" and make the coconut shrimp a full meal!

6 hours ago, seaman11 said:

im positively annoyed we cant cruise in a few months!!!!  

@seaman11, remember what OP, @ScratchTheRat,started this thread with;

"Lots of negativity on here and understandably! We are all sad at being stuck at home and not sailing.

BUT, let this thread be a positivity thread! A place for us optimists to hang out and discuss the good stuff!"

I'm with you @seaman11, and I'm sure there are many more here on CC that can't wait to get back out on a cruise ship. Maybe not as much as you, but a lot. We'll all get there; if they can get these emerging vaccines into arms more efficiently & quickly...

• Like 4

On 1/29/2021 at 10:19 AM, meatball_nyc said:

What I miss most about cruising is the ocean sunrises and sunsets. 

The crew. 

The freedom of being at sea. 

Cagney’s steaks and mac n cheese.

Anyone remember O’Sheehan’s chicken pot pie?

The fireworks over the ocean. 

Vibe Beach Club. 

ScratchTheRat....thanks for starting this thread!

My photo of a sunrise onboard Breakaway somewhere on the Atlantic on our way to Bermuda.

Everyday at Sea is a Good Day. 

25572017-22C0-46CE-8A63-9095DE93787F.jpeg

What year did you do the Breakaway to Bermuda? I went in 2013. Cagneys on that cruise was the 3rd best meal I ever had in my life. I remember the fireworks show with 80's music and the hot dog carts.

I will go on that ship again someday

• Like 2

2014. Yes...you reminded me of the hot dog cart! 

Cagney’s was amazingly good on that trip.

Bermuda cruises are so much better than the Florida/Bahamas/Great Stirrup Cay cruises. We never made it to GSC because of rough tides. The ship seems more crowded. Being in Bermuda for 2 1/2 days spreads out the crowds on the ship. It’s a floating hotel. Much more relaxing. 

I hope we both make make it back on that ship again someday, too. In fact, I would settle for any ship right now!

Stay well...

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ScratchTheRat said:

So for today's topic: What port has been your favourite to visit? 🙂

St. Petersburg, Russia in 2019. My wife and I booked a private tour guide for our overnight stay and it was out of this world.

Before that, probably the Faeroe Islands.

I miss how quickly I can relax once I walk that plank and board the ship. Cell phone is turned to airplane mode, used for photos only,  and all pressures of life on land are gone.  BF took his first cruise with me to Alaska in Sept. 2019 and think he also got bit by the cruise bug. Waiting to show him the Southern Caribbean  by ship. Since then I have retired and will have more time to cruise and find some great last minute cruise specials. Have 4 booked for 2022, 3 with BF and 1 with the girls, cannot wait.

• Like 3