The Daily for Monday Feb 1, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Good morning on the first day of a new month!  Has anyone heard the old wives tale that saying “Rabbit” on the first day of the month brings you good luck for the whole month? I picked that up in my youth, no idea from where.

• Like 1

Thank you Dailyites for my morning enjoyment.

Tonight will be leftovers since I am off to help staff our vaccine clinic today until 5:00.  Not enjoying the cold and rain here in coastal Carolina.  Oh, how I wish I could move back to my old home town of Sebring, FL and enjoy that weather.

Please, wear your mask...

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm not convinced they can but it could be a storm issue. All I got yesterday was a rotating circle so the cam may not be fully operational yet.

Roy

The camera was working when I checked the site right before I posted. So hopefully they fixed the problem

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Oh sorry, we have a generator.  It only powers the fridges, well pump (very important), garage door, tv, internet, and a few outlets.  So, both my microwave and slow cooker work as they can be connected to that outlet even though my stove doesn’t 😉 

So, we still turn up the heat if there are power fears but we can plug in some electric heaters to help.

Ok, makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Thank you @kazufor explaining how your slow cooker can work with the power off; a generator is a good idea if you're living in an area where power outages are frequent.

Our power outages weren’t all that frequent - maybe 3 times a year but they could last for some time.  I got tired of filling the bath tub out of fear we would lose power to flush toilets, etc.  The well pump needs electricity and without it there is no water running.

Since we got the generator, I swear we don’t lose power as often 😂 

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 65 Gator said:

Thank you Dailyites for my morning enjoyment.

Tonight will be leftovers since I am off to help staff our vaccine clinic today until 5:00.  Not enjoying the cold and rain here in coastal Carolina.  Oh, how I wish I could move back to my old home town of Sebring, FL and enjoy that weather.

Please, wear your mask...

It’s cold and overcast here. Low 50’s with a wind chill advisory tonight. 
and we have a whole generator being installed in May. 

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

I too laughed out loud at "Spunky Old Broads" and I'm sure Rich was grinning as he posted it. 😉  I'll take spunky any day but don't dare call me an old broad! 😂

I'll join Roy @rafinmdin celebrating Freedom Day a couple weeks after getting my second jab.  Cannot wait until our Feb. 18 appointment.

It's around 45-50F here, but snow is expected on Friday. I know it's still winter, but turning that calendar page over to February always feels good.  The crocus are up and the helllebore is blooming, spring isn't far now!  Last summer I dreaded how long the winter would seem during Covid, but it really hasn't been too awful and has passed faster than I expected.  Keeping busy with puzzles, counted cross stitch, and planning road trips.  Yesterday and the day before I put away our Christmas Village, a job in itself as it takes up 2-3  6-foot tables depending on how much I put out each year.  It takes several weeks to put up, and a couple days to put away.  😄

The dinner sounds good, but we had Sloppy Joes last night (just not on pizza) so I'll take out some chicken for tonight.

Stay safe everyone, we will get through this!

• Like 14

14 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Yesterday and the day before I put away our Christmas Village, a job in itself as it takes up 2-3  6-foot tables depending on how much I put out each year. 

I too do Christmas villages. Been collecting since 1985. Downsized when we moved from IL to FL. Now have "just" 23' of etageres in one room, 9' in another and 2 12' shelves of a year-round village - not counting a 4' shelf that gets changed out each season.

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

The crocus are up and the helllebore is blooming, spring isn't far now!  L

I am jealous We are a longs way from seeing crocuses or hellebores here.

All the gardens are covered with a blanket of snow. 😉 

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Welcome to the Daily! Your message doesn’t show up for me. But the problem could be at my end. 

38 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Nor for me, either.

Roy

Ditto

• Like 3

Rich and fellow cruisers,

In these days of the pandemic and cruises about ready to re-start,

I noticed that the Laundry Lists do not yet have a listing for "Mask" (price?).

Also, the gift shop with sundry items might carry Cruise Line-logo masks.

Trivia Game winning prize of a logo mask? 

Bon Voyage Gift - logo mask 3 for $?

We use washable masks and launder them regularly.

Will be interesting to see the handout coming with your daily news at your cabin on the

first test cruise:  "Mask Wearing Policy of (insert cruise line) and Special Notes From (insert cruise ship).

• Like 10

We did vegetarian last night. Mitzi found a "Pumpkin and Black Bean Rice Baked Rice" recipe in the Washington Post so we gave it a try. We used butternut squash in lieu of pumpkin and it was very good. We will definitely make this periodically! Here is the original link (pay wall) and a PDF of the recipe -

A one-pan pumpkin, black bean and vegan rice recipe - The Washington Post 210117.pdf

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2021/01/17/baked-rice-pumpkin-beans-recipe/

Here are a couple more photos from Taipei. I visited in both 2010 and 2011 and presented a technical paper on flexible displays and barrier films/adhesives at a conference and trade show near Taipei 101. We went up to the top of this interesting building, but it was overcast and the views were not as good as we had hoped for. It was still a worthwhile excursion and I would recommend it.

699228041_P4300393(2).thumb.JPG.3daff8fb7fad06161c13c28218abc9fa.JPG

P6080101.thumb.JPG.c9c85d7d849aa6370852812136b06e5a.JPGP6080070.thumb.JPG.71991faec642260e4535f01e8eb610ac.JPG

The company put me up in the rather posh Shangri-La Far Eastern Plaza Hotel for both trips. It had the most amazing breakfast/brunch buffet - fresh passion fruit juice every morning!

P6120167.thumb.JPG.bd9215bff311f196210833d9f4e20264.JPG

P4300404.thumb.JPG.5718018a5c3988e450fe54a907c0932c.JPGP4300407.thumb.JPG.aa1ec4f269e09ae5087c62a35f470fa9.JPGP4300408.thumb.JPG.c5d11b811a0c436e62fa677126a890f4.JPG

Edited by Overhead Fred
  • Like 22

Good  morning  from snowy  New  York! It  looks  quite  lovely  but  there  is  a  lot  of  it  already(10  inches  or  so) with  an  expected  8 to  10  more  by  tomorrow.We  are  fortunate in  that  we  share  a  2  family  house  with  DD  and  SIL  and  they  do  the  shoveling. I  was  just  out  with  the  dog  and  a  neighbor  2  doors  down  did  our  sidewalk  with  his  snow  blower. He  is  a  nice  person  as  every  little  bit  of  help is  appreciated. The  winds  are  increasing  and  we  all  worry  about  the  power  around   here  but  so  far  so  good.

My  brother   and  I  have  done  a  few  cruises  with  our  spouses  and  we  were  discussing  a  few  options  for  2022 yesterday. I  had  wonderful  dreams of  ports  and  fog horns  and  laughing  together  again. I  miss  him  so  much  I  think  I  would  even  let  him  call  me  a "spunky  old  broad"!

Terry

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, e_brick said:

Rich and fellow cruisers,

In these days of the pandemic and cruises about ready to re-start,

I noticed that the Laundry Lists do not yet have a listing for "Mask" (price?).

Also, the gift shop with sundry items might carry Cruise Line-logo masks.

Trivia Game winning prize of a logo mask? 

Bon Voyage Gift - logo mask 3 for $?

We use washable masks and launder them regularly.

Will be interesting to see the handout coming with your daily news at your cabin on the

first test cruise:  "Mask Wearing Policy of (insert cruise line) and Special Notes From (insert cruise ship).

Welcome to the Daily!

• Like 5

Good Morning Everyone from a breezy but sunny day at the beach.  We were able to do water aerobics this morning but that may be it for a few days. Suppose to  get cold. Not complaining because it is nothing like others parts of the country and I understand it is good for our rivers to have a bout of cold weather.

Our positivity rate is decreasing and our numbers are coming down. I am concerned because the Super Bowl is in Tampa this weekend and the Daytona 500 is the following week.           Stay safe and please wear a mask. Strong warm thoughts for all of you in the path of that storm!

• Like 12

Today is Robinson Crusoe Day.  I visited the island twice, first on the Crystal Symphony April 4, 2018, and again on the Prinsendam January 24, 2019.  It's a very isolated location.  Primary access is an airport on the other side of the island with a couple of small plane flights a week and a 2-hour ride across rough seas in a small open boat to get to civilization.  Access by cruise ships is by tender to a rickety pier where the hand rails are falling apart and people steady themselves getting up to the stairs by a few ropes hanging over the sides:

tenderslip.jpg

There is one town on the island, San Juan Batista:

bautista.jpg

There is one main street that runs for a short distance:

mainstreet.jpg

But the majority of travel is on "streets" like this:

ircstreet.jpg

Chile gained independence from Spain in 1814 after a struggle.   A group of Spanish leaning people took refuge in one of the now prominent landmarks, "Patriot Caves":

cave.jpg

The caves are accessed by  a primitive trail with steps:

cavesteps.jpg

Almost directly above the caves is the last remnant of Spanish occupation, Fort Santa Barbara.  Not much of the fort is left but the view is lovely:

santabarbara.jpg

Roy

• Like 20

4 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Good morning on the first day of a new month!  Has anyone heard the old wives tale that saying “Rabbit” on the first day of the month brings you good luck for the whole month? I picked that up in my youth, no idea from where.

I just said it, will let you know☺️

• Like 4
  • Haha 4