Will fitness centers be open after vaccines?

zitsky

19 hours ago, zitsky said:

What is X doing now about fitness centers?  Closed?  Masks required?  What will they do once people are vaccinated?

7 hours ago, zitsky said:

A lot of comedians on this thread.  May i remind you that the thread title is "after vaccines" when sailing resumes.  The question is how do we social distance after everyone on board has a shot.

I appreciate the helpful replies.

"after vaccines" was the thread title. But your OP asked what they are doing now. Which is why you got the smart alec responses, since they are not doing anything now and nothing is firm on what they will do when they re-open.

To the idea of wearing masks in gyms. There's no way if you are doing cardio (as in actual cardio, not walking on a treadmill while playing on your phone) that you could wear a mask. I'm lucky enough to be able to work out at home but from what I've seen of gyms they are generally not requiring masks. But cruise lines may not have that option given the CDC's mask mandate. So who knows how long it will take for vaccines to change that.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I guess we can always use the running track, if there is one on the Infinity.  Probably lots of people using it for walking.

I don’t know if people are using this as a sun bathing area, will you be walking or running with or without masks. Lots of questions but no answers until Celebrity resumes cruises 

14 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

"after vaccines" was the thread title. But your OP asked what they are doing now. Which is why you got the smart alec responses, since they are not doing anything now and nothing is firm on what they will do when they re-open.

To the idea of wearing masks in gyms. There's no way if you are doing cardio (as in actual cardio, not walking on a treadmill while playing on your phone) that you could wear a mask. I'm lucky enough to be able to work out at home but from what I've seen of gyms they are generally not requiring masks. But cruise lines may not have that option given the CDC's mask mandate. So who knows how long it will take for vaccines to change that.

A number of months ago, I posted a link to an article written by a UK medical doctor who is also a runner. To make his point that cardio and mask are not mutually exclusive, he ran to work - a half-hour run - while wearing a mask and an oximeter. He experienced no issues maintaining his normal pace, never became "breathless", and the oximeter detected only a very minimal reduction in blood oxygenation. Mind you, the doctor was in good shape, unlike many who would have trouble breathing while running or otherwise performing a cardio workout, even without the mask.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zitsky said:

The question is how do we social distance after everyone on board has a shot.

Hopefully, we don't have to, because vaccines are mandatory to cruise and overall cases have come down to very low levels.

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

As I posted ALL gyms in PA, NY, and NJ require masks to be worn at all times while inside in a gym. It's the law.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

A number of months ago, I posted a link to an article written by a UK medical doctor who is also a runner. To make his point that cardio and mask are not mutually exclusive, he ran to work - a half-hour run - while wearing a mask and an oximeter. He experienced no issues maintaining his normal pace, never became "breathless", and the oximeter detected only a very minimal reduction in blood oxygenation. Mind you, the doctor was in good shape, unlike many who would have trouble breathing while running or otherwise performing a cardio workout, even without the mask.

If he says so. I don’t see how that is possible. I am in excellent shape (workout 45+ Minutes 6 days a week, do vigorous cardio several times a week). I get a little winded running up a flight of stairs with a mask on. There is a zero percent chance I would maintain my current workout level AND wear a mask. I at times get too winded to breathe just doing my normal cardio because I try to keep my heart rate up around 180. I could probably wear a mask if I eased off a bit. Potentially he was running at a lower exertion level than he was capable of. But that wouldn’t be a satisfactory workout to me.

Edited by sanger727

All guesses of course...but seems  there will be quite a few amenities that are closed, restricted or reduced. Prices should reflect that...esp AQ Class if the thermal suires are closed or restricted. Already too crowded on some ships.

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

I guess we can always use the running track, if there is one on the Infinity.  Probably lots of people using it for walking.

Yes there is a walking/jogging/running track. Best time is early in the morning. Anytime after 7:30 AM becomes a lot more crowed. Also depends on the itinerary. 

Edited by davekathy

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

If he says so. I don’t see how that is possible. I am in excellent shape (workout 45+ Minutes 6 days a week, do vigorous cardio several times a week). I get a little winded running up a flight of stairs with a mask on. There is a zero percent chance I would maintain my current workout level AND wear a mask. I at times get too winded to breathe just doing my normal cardio because I try to keep my heart rate up around 180. I could probably wear a mask if I eased off a bit. Potentially he was running at a lower exertion level than he was capable of. But that wouldn’t be a satisfactory workout to me.

I agree, masks will in all cases result in some degree of reduction in oxygen intake. Pre-COVID, a number of companies sold, and still sell,  VO2Max training masks to simulate training in high altitude environments. They are intended for athletes looking to increase stamina, lung capacity, and overall performance. 

Now there are many mask designed specifically for exercise during the pandemic that minimize airflow reduction and provide greater comfort. Some are designed specifically for running (https://www.cnet.com/health/best-face-mask-for-running/) while others are designed for a broader range of exercise (https://www.cnet.com/health/best-face-mask-for-exercise/).

9 hours ago, zitsky said:

How many are there?  3 or 4?  And will there be limits on how many people in the sauna or steam room?

Again some experience from lines already operating...

As to my knowledge steam rooms are closed.

The dry saunas can be used at reduced capacity.

On TUI - and their saunas are quite big - you had/have to make a reservation for the sauna (can be done on the app) and only a small number of people is allowed at the same time. If I remember correctly it was 4 or 6.

However, saunas on Celebrity ships are miniscule in comparison to the saunas of European lines. So I would not be surprised if they were closed.

9 hours ago, danv3 said:

Hopefully, we don't have to, because vaccines are mandatory to cruise and overall cases have come down to very low levels.

Regardless of cruise lines possibly making vaccination mandatory the distancing and mask rules will not disappear for a long time. The reasons are obvious: children and teenagers not beeing vaccinated, vaccines possibly reducing but not eliminating transmission, virus mutations like the new E484K showing a possible immune escape...

13 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I tend to agree with you. Unless it's cold outside, mask significantly reduces my oxygen intake. I have come very close to fainting many times...tunnel vision and stars...almost went night night while shopping on more than one occasion. If I have to hustle, I have to pull the mask out to breathe. I also exercise regularly, albeit I do have asthma that is managed with exercise and without any medication/inhalers.

Edited by sydbarrett

7 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Again some experience from lines already operating...

As to my knowledge steam rooms are closed.

The dry saunas can be used at reduced capacity.

On TUI - and their saunas are quite big - you had/have to make a reservation for the sauna (can be done on the app) and only a small number of people is allowed at the same time. If I remember correctly it was 4 or 6.

However, saunas on Celebrity ships are miniscule in comparison to the saunas of European lines. So I would not be surprised if they were closed.

I suppose it would be uncomfortable wearing a mask 😷 in a steam room or sauna?

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

I suppose it would be uncomfortable wearing a mask 😷 in a steam room or sauna?

Probably 🙂
I don´t know if they were required - I did not go.
Although I like to go to the sauna that´s one thing I did not care to do 😉

Our gyms closed a couple of months ago. They were open for a few months late Summer/Autumn after the Spring close down. They never really became busy again in my experience.

Just reminded me to look for a rebate on my subs. I have kept paying throughout. When they re-opened they were offering a 25% discount to new members which was annoying.

They separated the machine and work stations out and closed every 50 minutes for cleaning. Eventually I never saw any worker cleaning as I was kicked out/arrived. Few of the gym goers cleaned machines down pre- or post.

• 1 month later...

If you get winded while wearing your mask you need to check your oxygen levels.   I have masks that are not exercise worthy but have many that don’t decrease my oxygen levels when doing cardio.   I don’t feel it is safe to exercise in an enclosed area without a mask.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 6:11 AM, Fitnessworldexplorer said:

A helpful post, thanks very much.

I guess we will only see in future weeks/months.

Hopefully they will make some adjustments for outdoor exercise.

Good question.  Will they require masks outside?  For example walking or jogging.  I guess some people think they will be required at the pool.