Cruising To, From, or Thru Canada Cancelled thru February 2022

rallydave

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Cruising To, From, or Thru Canada Cancelled thru February 2022
11 minutes ago, alidor said:

They can still do Alaska cruises.  Just can’t stop at Vancouver or Victoria.

Sorry but, that is incorrect.  Due to the PVSA act cannot have cruises that do not stop at a foreign port except for certain closed loop cruises in the Caribbean.  For instance a cruise  that might start in say San Francisco or Seattle to Alaska has to stop in a foreign port like Vancouver or Victoria either goeing to or from Alaska.

They can also do Alaska cruises completely within Alaska but, only with US flagged, US built and US crewed ships.  Only one of those in existence right now and that is currently based in Hawaii.  Believe there is a small ship cruise line doing cruises out of Juneau to only Alaskan ports and that meeds the above requirement and believe they will be trying to meet the CDC Requirements for the 2021 Alaska season but, none on the many ocean cruise ships qualify.

12 minutes ago, alidor said:

They can still do Alaska cruises.  Just can’t stop at Vancouver or Victoria.

Where would cruises for Alaska sail from(and/or to) to comply with the PSVA to miss out Canada? The reason I ask is I am booked on the Vancouver to Tokyo in September then the following Tokyo to Tokyo after. I was looking forward to this cruise as I have never done Alaska. I will also need to think of an alternative, 

Seattle or San Francisco to Tokyo could skip Canada because Tokyo is a foreign port, assuming that it is a single segment.  Obviously, it could not start in Vancouver and skip Canada.  Of course any US ports involved would mean it also needs to comply with the CDC directives.  That in its current form pretty much kills the 2021 Alaska season anyway.

3 minutes ago, Easterncommand said:

Where would cruises for Alaska sail from(and/or to) to comply with the PSVA to miss out Canada? The reason I ask is I am booked on the Vancouver to Tokyo in September then the following Tokyo to Tokyo after. I was looking forward to this cruise as I have never done Alaska. I will also need to think of an alternative, 

Your cruise meets PVSA as go to foreign ports before returning to the US.  They would need to change your starting location to say Seattle or San Francisco and you would be fine but nobody would be able to disembark in Alaska without the foreign port.   Yours is not just an Alaska cruise that can't occur this year.

Just now, xrvlcruiser said:

Could the ships sail from/to Seattle and do a technical stop in Canada to comply?

Peggy

No.  The restriction is 

Cruise vessels carrying more than 100 people are still prohibited from operating in Canadian waters.

So, no visits to Canadian ports for cruise ships, technical or otherwise.

4 minutes ago, xrvlcruiser said:

Could the ships sail from/to Seattle and do a technical stop in Canada to comply?

Peggy

The Canadian ports will be closed to all stops, technical or otherwise.  And ships traveling up the coast of Canada would need to stay offshore to avoid sailing in Canadian waters.

Edited by rallydave

12 minutes ago, xrvlcruiser said:

I've been on ships that didn't go into a port but the authorities came out and boarded the ship.

I was talking about the Alaska cruises . . .

Peggy

Sorry Peggy, do you really think the Canadians will sent crew and a small boat 12 miles off shore and board a ship not allowed to dock or travel in Canadian waters and then send the crew into the cruise ship?  Per the current Canadian rules that would then require a negative COVID test for the crew of the small boat. 

There is always light at the end of this tunnel that we find ourselves in

"Should the COVID-19 pandemic sufficiently improve .................... the minister of transport has the ability to rescind the interim orders"

Unfortunately no one yet knows how long the tunnel may be 

Statement from NCLH:

"Meanwhile, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings is 'currently studying the order and its implications' and has not canceled cruises that visit Canadian ports.

'We are currently exploring several initiatives that may allow such cruises to continue, especially for the important Alaska season,' the company said. 'Given the fluidity of the current environment, we will also continue to work with the Canadian government to amend their current suspension.' "

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rallydave said:

Your cruise meets PVSA as go to foreign ports before returning to the US.  They would need to change your starting location to say Seattle or San Francisco and you would be fine but nobody would be able to disembark in Alaska without the foreign port.   Yours is not just an Alaska cruise that can't occur this year.

My wife & I are on that Vancouver to Tokyo cruise also. It does stop in foreign ports (Russia and Japan), so we will be able to disembark in Alaska. Regent just has to change the embarkation port, most likely to nearby Seattle.

3 minutes ago, gnld said:

My wife & I are on that Vancouver to Tokyo cruise also. It does stop in foreign ports (Russia and Japan), so we will be able to disembark in Alaska. Regent just has to change the embarkation port, most likely to nearby Seattle.

You will not be disembarking in Alaska; just getting off for the day.

Just now, mrlevin said:

You will not be disembarking in Alaska; just getting off for the day.

True, mrlevin. Incorrect choice of words on my part; should have used something like "have a port call". 😉

1 minute ago, gnld said:

It does stop in foreign ports (Russia and Japan), so we will be able to disembark in Alaska.

Sorry but, you are missing the point.  Has to stop in a foreign port between embarkation and disembarkation.  Just because the ship continues to Russia and Japan after your would disembark does not mean you can get off if only cruising from USA to USA.

And since the current schedule has the ship doing the Alaska run before your cruise with the current rules in place the ship will be deployed elsewhere and probably nowhere near Seattle.

If you were sailing from Tokyo you could get off in Anchorage but, not if sailing from the US.

I don't think the itinerary for the September 2021 Vancouver to Tokyo cruise has any disembarkation in Alaska, just port stops.

But as has already been pointed out, it can't sail from Canada and it also can't sail in US waters under the current CDC rules through November.

6 hours ago, rallydave said:

Sorry but, that is incorrect.  Due to the PVSA act cannot have cruises that do not stop at a foreign port except for certain closed loop cruises in the Caribbean.  For instance a cruise  that might start in say San Francisco or Seattle to Alaska has to stop in a foreign port like Vancouver or Victoria either goeing to or from Alaska.

They can also do Alaska cruises completely within Alaska but, only with US flagged, US built and US crewed ships.  Only one of those in existence right now and that is currently based in Hawaii.  Believe there is a small ship cruise line doing cruises out of Juneau to only Alaskan ports and that meeds the above requirement and believe they will be trying to meet the CDC Requirements for the 2021 Alaska season but, none on the many ocean cruise ships qualify.

Couldn't they make exemptions during Covid? 

8 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Couldn't they make exemptions during Covid? 

Really doubt it.  Lots of people don't like the ACT but, it is a Law and would need to be changed.  Don't know of any laws for anything that have made an exemption during COVID and, doubt ships will be sailing until COVID is on its' way out which is TBD so how would you date an exemption.

Would think lots of more important laws would get exemptions if they were given before this ACT.  By the way lots of people wanted the Cruise Lines to get some of the Government and nothing doing there so why would they make an exemption for foreign companies?  The Act was written to protect US Companies who need the Act much more than a bunch of offshore companies.

If every thing else about cruising to Alaska is a go, the PVSA, Jones Act, would be the least of their worries.  There is an exemption for the Caribbean, so temporary exemptions could be possible.  There is also a fine for situations (prior to COVID) when someone gets on or off a ship prior to the foreign port.

It would be interesting to know what has caused this new restriction for Canada.

3 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

It would be interesting to know what has caused this new restriction for Canada.

Where have you been over the last 11 months?

Pandemic and public health emergency.  Canada (by the way, the US is doing much the same, just different mechanisms) wants to reduce the possibility of the importation of coronavirus into the country by travellers.

• Like 2