Turing 18 during a cruise

keyarra

I searched but didn't see anything. We are looking at a cruise in June 2022 from Rome to Athens. The cruise leaves while my daughter is 17 and she turns 18 a few days later. Since she is 17 at the start of the cruise will she have access to teen club the whole time? I have heard that 18-21 is a touch age to cruise on some ships as they are too old for teens and too young for adult only areas.

Thanks!!

I can't answer your teen center question other than to advise her to just show up at the beginning of the cruise and register. She may or may not find others her age. If she wants an alcoholic beverage you should check with passenger services once on board to make sure her medallion profile is age correct.

*For cruises between Australia/New Zealand, China, Europe and Singapore ports, the drinking age will be 18 years old. For cruises between Japan ports, the drinking age will be 20 years old.

Edited by skynight

6 hours ago, skynight said:

If she wants an alcoholic beverage you should check with passenger services once on board to make sure her medallion profile is age correct.

*For cruises between Australia/New Zealand, China, Europe and Singapore ports, the drinking age will be 18 years old. For cruises between Japan ports, the drinking age will be 20 years old.

Unless they have changed it, the Mediterranean is 21 drinking age. Baltic cruises in/out of London are 18 due to the high number of passengers from the UK.

34 minutes ago, Kansas Gal said:

Are you sailing Princess or Royal Caribbean since you have posted this on both boards?

They're not sailing anybody yet; she said they were looking at a cruise.  I assume she's considering both.

On 2/6/2021 at 12:11 PM, keyarra said:

I searched but didn't see anything. We are looking at a cruise in June 2022 from Rome to Athens. The cruise leaves while my daughter is 17 and she turns 18 a few days later. Since she is 17 at the start of the cruise will she have access to teen club the whole time? I have heard that 18-21 is a touch age to cruise on some ships as they are too old for teens and too young for adult only areas.

Thanks!!

Having sailed both lines I can tell you Royal Caribbean has more activities geared for that age group. Teens on Princess tend to ride the elevators for entertainment. We sail Princess for itinerary only. Even at 52 and 60 Princess is a snooze for us in terms of entertainment.

12 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Having sailed both lines I can tell you Royal Caribbean has more activities geared for that age group. Teens on Princess tend to ride the elevators for entertainment. We sail Princess for itinerary only. Even at 52 and 60 Princess is a snooze for us in terms of entertainment.

We are going for the itinerary. My kids have been on 5 cruises so they know they lose roaming privileges if they play in elevators. Good to know about entertainment but being a port heavy and long days I am guessing it will be fine. Thank you for giving us something to think about.

8 minutes ago, keyarra said:

We are going for the itinerary. My kids have been on 5 cruises so they know they lose roaming privileges if they play in elevators. Good to know about entertainment but being a port heavy and long days I am guessing it will be fine. Thank you for giving us something to think about.

With port intensive cruising the on board experience is secondary.   

On 2/6/2021 at 1:13 PM, 1025cruise said:

Once she turns 18 she will not be allowed in the teen club. Thank the lawyers.

It’s been a few years, but that’s not what our experience was.  It was all about the age they were when the sailing started.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

It’s been a few years, but that’s not what our experience was.  It was all about the age they were when the sailing started.

I can't address how Princess handles is, but on DCL, time was, if someone turned 18 during the cruise, they could remain in the teen club for the duration of the cruise.

Then there was an issue with someone over 18 causing problems in the club, and, since they were an "adult" it was a serious issue.

So the lawyers got involved and said "no one 18 or over can be in the teen club".  And enforcement meant anyone who turned 18 during the cruise could no longer attend the teen club.

Maybe it's the same on Princess now.

1 minute ago, Shmoo here said:

I can't address how Princess handles is, but on DCL, time was, if someone turned 18 during the cruise, they could remain in the teen club for the duration of the cruise.

Then there was an issue with someone over 18 causing problems in the club, and, since they were an "adult" it was a serious issue.

So the lawyers got involved and said "no one 18 or over can be in the teen club".  And enforcement meant anyone who turned 18 during the cruise could no longer attend the teen club.

Maybe it's the same on Princess now.

Could very well be!

• 2 weeks later...

I think you may find it a bit unfortunate but when your daughter is 17 she can enter the teen club.  Then as soon as she turns 18 she will not be allowed in.  On the other hand I believe when she turns 18 she will not be allowed to purchase alcoholic drinks herself as the cruise line may well regard people's ages as age on boarding in their terms and conditions.  Obviously I should try and see if either of these situations can be worked around.  However it is illegal for adults to buy alcoholic drinks for children but once she is 18 you can buy them within the law for her irrespective of the rules.

Regards John

On 2/9/2021 at 4:05 AM, caribill said:

Most of the time the older teens do not really enjoy activities at the teen club. Instead they meet up the first evening and arrange to spend time together away from the club.

Yes this is what happened last time. I am hoping the two days she has before she turns 18 they meet a few people to hang out with.

Dee

On 2/20/2021 at 4:05 PM, john watson said:

I think you may find it a bit unfortunate but when your daughter is 17 she can enter the teen club.  Then as soon as she turns 18 she will not be allowed in.  On the other hand I believe when she turns 18 she will not be allowed to purchase alcoholic drinks herself as the cruise line may well regard people's ages as age on boarding in their terms and conditions.  Obviously I should try and see if either of these situations can be worked around.  However it is illegal for adults to buy alcoholic drinks for children but once she is 18 you can buy them within the law for her irrespective of the rules.

Regards John

I don't know... If I was suddenly banned from the teen club because I was now an adult I would likely make my case to customer services (and escalate if necessary) and have my cruise card (or medallion) updated to indicate my adult status. If on a cruise where 18 was the legal drinking age I should then be allowed to drink. (Of course mom might have something to say about that... 😉)

4 hours ago, keyarra said:

Yes this is what happened last time. I am hoping the two days she has before she turns 18 they meet a few people to hang out with.

Dee

I think the majority of friendship groups form in the first day or so after that everyone has got a group to be in and they work out ways to communicate with each other to muster.

Regards John

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

I don't know... If I was suddenly banned from the teen club because I was now an adult I would likely make my case to customer services (and escalate if necessary) and have my cruise card (or medallion) updated to indicate my adult status. If on a cruise where 18 was the legal drinking age I should then be allowed to drink. (Of course mom might have something to say about that... 😉)

Hi Thrak

I was working on a worst case scenario.  The cruise lines often regard people's status as on the first day.   The reception desk can enable purchases on a card or exclude them but I am not sure if they can adjust the settings regarding age.

Regards John