will UBD be allowed in the future

luckyinpa

12 hours ago, CynCyn said:

Why would you think it would go away? It would seem to me that eating would be safer in the room....LOL. Maybe the waiters could roll it in......and leave!

all that is included cannot fit on one table. it's a heck of a lot of food

19 minutes ago, susancruzs said:

Wait and see!  I didn't even know what UBD was actually. 🙂 Comes from always traveling alone, many times my 35+ cruises in an inside cabin! 😄 

I cruise solo quite a bit.  Wish they would do a single option!

3 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Ultimate Balcony Dining

Enjoy an intimate, romantic dining experience with breathtaking views and a special meal served by your own dedicated waitstaff on your stateroom balcony. Ultimate Balcony Dining features a hosted cocktail party, fresh flowers, champagne and a deluxe four-course meal featuring delicate sweet lobster tail or juicy steak among many available delicacies.

For those who want to start the day with a romantic meal, opt for a breakfast which includes specialty pastries, fresh fruits, quiche, smoked salmon and other special treats served with a half bottle of chilled sparkling wine. This item may be ordered onboard by contacting room service or pre-purchased as a special service item (item #3009).

Available on all ships, the Ultimate Balcony Dinner is a unique Princess dining experience. This item may be  ordered onboard by contacting room service or pre-purchased as a special service item (item #3011).

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/ultimatebalconydining.html

We’ve enjoyed many UBDs in balconies from 9’x9’ to Royal-Class 9’x4’ standard balconies...even in our balcony cabin due to inclement weather. The balcony size has never diminished our great dining experience for dinner. The cost is reasonable at $100 for 2 people & you receive nearly $100 in extras & they’ll modify the menu upon request. Had the breakfast version once but was disappointed because they only stack all courses on your desk unlike the dinner where tuxedoed waitstaff magically appear with each freshly prepared course. 😋

19 hours ago, CynCyn said:

Why would you think it would go away? It would seem to me that eating would be safer in the room....LOL. Maybe the waiters could roll it in......and leave!

I thought that's pretty much what they do.  ??

Bring in a course, serve, leave...repeat.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I thought that's pretty much what they do.  ??

Bring in a course, serve, leave...repeat.

That’s been my experiences.

Although we’ve enjoyed some good conversations with the primary server which will likely be eliminated until after the pandemic is managed better to hopefully become like other health issues dealt with onboard ships.

Edited by Astro Flyer

15 hours ago, CynCyn said:

I cruise solo quite a bit.  Wish they would do a single option!

If you make a new friend while on the cruise, you can still do the UBD. Just do it for you and your new friend for that evening. You can split the cost.

• Like 1

here's my review of UBD from a few years ago:

ULTIMATE BALCONY DINING

After muster we contacted room service and the waiter said he’d be right down to discuss the menu. I asked if there was crab instead of lobster and he said no but they had salmon. I was ok with that but it just seemed like he didn’t want to substitute nor had a list of things and I was lucky to get what I got. You get half bottle of champagne, one alcoholic drink, salad, crab for an app, yummy birthday cake, a chocolate and raspberry dessert and other things which no way could we eat for dessert. The bday cake was a small square with the princess logos on and was cool. Oh almost forgot about the other apps because we didn’t really eat them. I think one was salmon with crackers and one was probably caviar or something. I forget now. It takes many many trips for him to set up the table/cloth, glasses, silverware etc so just sit back and relax. Also, while the weather was too cold for outside, I don’t see how this really would work on the small balcony. The person in the rear of the table could never get out if they had to. Also they had a photographer in the room because you get one free 8x10 which is 25 dollar value. We bought 5 more pics for 90 bucks downstairs and got the cute ship USB as well. I think there was 6th pic free also. Speaking of pictures, I found out why princess doesn’t ask your room number when they take your pics. You have to look for them in the gallery. Insanity in this 21st century world. On the BA they ask your room number then they all come up on the screen for you.

Regarding the service of the dinner in your cabin: If anyone is worried about being awkward, don’t. Sometimes he would open the door and see we were still eating and not ready for the next course and I didn’t feel it was too obtrusive at all and I normally would be bothered by stuff like that. He also had an assistant with him once service started. This is a wonderful treat and I have to say I’d do it again. The filet was the best I’ve EVER had, including a local place that I’ve gone to for years. He said it’s the same as down in the steakhouse. My gf is not a steak fan but she really enjoyed it too. The salmon was also done wonderfully and since the chocolate dessert had raspberries on it, it was 100% healthy. 

The UBD is also a great deal financially for the 100 bucks. Here’s the breakdown with my estimated conservative pricing if I got this at home: 2 apps crab (10x 2) =20; surf and turf (est. 35 in any home restaurant) = 70; 2 drinks (8x2) = 16;  2 desserts (5x2) = 10; bday cake and other extra desserts =15; roses = 10; ship pic = 25; half bottle champagne = 10 and then the apps which I forget what they are would probably be 10 as well so that’s nearly 200 bucks worth of stuff for 100. Just do it! and if the steak really is what is served in the steakhouse I’d gladly pay 29 for it and eat downstairs!