PRE-CRUISE DEALS FOR CRUISES THAT WILL NOT SAIL

Received an e-mail today for pre-cruise deals for our 9 night Alaska cruise in May 2021.  A cruise that is more then 7 nights and sails from a Canadian port.  Does Royal think (or hope) that someone will purchase these deals for a cruise that WILL not sail?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WeMissSeaView said:

Received an e-mail today for pre-cruise deals for our 9 night Alaska cruise in May 2021.  A cruise that is more then 7 nights and sails from a Canadian port.  Does Royal think (or hope) that someone will purchase these deals for a cruise that WILL not sail?

Automation at its finest. 

Sorry OP I didn't see your post until after I commented on another thread. I've been getting almost daily cruise planner sales for my 9 night Oct 14, 2021 Canada/NE sailing out of Cape Liberty on Freedom.

My expectations of rcl are less than 0 right now. They once again failed to send me a notice my april cruise was cancelled with options.

Idk I only had 2 weeks to decide to lift and shift. Ended jan 26th, whereas I thought I had until jan 31 when the program ended.

I should not have to continually find out I'm cancelled on cc. Big fail to rcl for communication. They are terrible. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, WeMissSeaView said:

I doubt there is any thinking on Royal's behalf.  This is simply an automated email that doesn't know/care about the possibility of the cruise going.  

No doubt these emails are automated, but maybe 11 months into the pandemic it's time to manually turn the automation off?

Or is Royal actually still making money off people buying pre-sale purchases right now?  Surely no one is silly enough to be giving Royal money for a cruise any time in the next 6 months.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, danv3 said:

No doubt these emails are automated, but maybe 11 months into the pandemic it's time to manually turn the automation off?

Or is Royal actually still making money off people buying pre-sale purchases right now?  Surely no one is silly enough to be giving Royal money for a cruise any time in the next 6 months.  

Everyone is a different situation and has a different comfort level.    We have a 5 night June 2021 cruise to New England and Canada that is almost definitely going to be cancelled with Canada's announcement last week.  (there is a slight chance it gets moved to Bermuda and everything else stays the same.)

We knew there was an increasing risk that it would get cancelled but we bought everything that we were interested in on Cruise Planner for a few reasons.

We are fortunate that we can afford to do that and if the cruise happens, we will go and will want to do the things we bought.

We think there is negligible chance that Royal reorganizes in a way that would mean we lose our money at anytime in the next 2 years.

If royal cancels it, we will take the 125% OBC offer and put in one ne of our other booked cruises.   That means getting extra stuff we are interested in on those cruises or cancelling what we have already booked for them and using the OBC to rebuy.

For us, it seems silly not to do it.  But as I said, everyone is different.  YMMV

Tom

• Like 1

If the cruise isn't yet canceled (even if it will most certainly be canceled), why would they not continue to try to sell add-ons? They'd be a poorly run company if they didn't.

They're actually losing money long term by selling packages with the FCC/OBC refund option, but that short term revenue help them actually exist in the long term.

On 2/10/2021 at 2:47 AM, smokeybandit said:

If the cruise isn't yet canceled (even if it will most certainly be canceled), why would they not continue to try to sell add-ons? They'd be a poorly run company if they didn't.

They're actually losing money long term by selling packages with the FCC/OBC refund option, but that short term revenue help them actually exist in the long term.

Honestly probably not.  They will just raise prices of either the cruise or add-ons in the future. Also the longer they keep the cash they can invest it and earn interest that can also be used to offset the additional fcc/obc.  

It becomes a shell game of how long can they keep the cash for without paying out. 

15 hours ago, WeMissSeaView said:

Received an e-mail today from Royal that my final payment for my 9 night Alaska sailing from Canada in May is due tomorrow.  That cruise has a 99.9999% chance of not sailing.

You have two strikes against you. 9 days and Canada. I would say 100%