What cruises are on your current bucket list?

Honolulu Blue

7 hours ago, clo said:

As someone who's been making monthly donations, including stimulus checks, to our local food bank , I don't find it any more OBNOXIOUS than owning a luxury car or a mansion. But *I* wouldn't pay that much for a meal.

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Not right now, but I put in my time at our food pantry, so seeing the world is fine. You are welcome to disagree.

Working at a food bank and donating to a food bank are good things.  Keep up the good work.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

It is obnoxious to want to cover your costs and make money from your business😳? The ingredients they use already are expensive and the work that goes into designing each dish can take up to a year so personally I'm OK if they pay the staff accordingly for their work. These numbers are not plucked out of thin air and the profit margins are actually pretty thin. As somone who indulges in the luxury of travel to me it is very hypocritical to be criticising what other luxuries people want to spend their money on. 

Knowing how many people are hurting for just basic food for their family, I find it obnoxious for someone to spend that much for a single meal. JMHO.

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

I VOLUNTEER at a food pantry (as opposed to work that pays money).

Of course.  I understood that.  Poor choice of words on my part.   And I understand your earlier comment from a perspective of first hand helping folks who have a hard time feeding their families.  Anyway, well done.   

10 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Of course.  I understood that.  Poor choice of words on my part.   And I understand your earlier comment from a perspective of first hand helping folks who have a hard time feeding their families.  Anyway, well done.   

Thank you. I just hope we do not have the predicted ice storm tomorrow since it is the day we do deliveries, which is what I now do.

Back pre-Covid, when we were open to the public, my main job was filling shelves along with others before we opened, and then later after opening I was the primary person keeping the shelves restocked.

Edited by ontheweb

19 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Knowing how many people are hurting for just basic food for their family, I find it obnoxious for someone to spend that much for a single meal. JMHO.

First of it usually isn't a single meal but about 15 - 20 dishes and you are not paying for a meal but an experience. It is basically theatre with food. But by your same reasoning it could be argued that it is obnoxious for people to travel overseas and spend money in foreign countries when local economies are hurting. Luxuries are selfish that is the whole point and IMO unless you live like a monk I don't think anyone should criticise what luxuries people want to indulge in. I will never understand why somone would fork out $50000 for a handbag but I will not belittle them for their purchase, if that makes them happy and they can afford it so be it 😉

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Maybe you could see it from a different point of view. 

Joel Robuchon is the highest ranked chef in the world. He is a true artist at what he does. You are paying for that once-in-a-lifetime experiences to see how a master works. (Not that you would necessarily see Joel at work, but at the restaurant in Paris you are seated with a view toward the kitchen and you can watch all of the chefs preparing the food.)

Perhaps if your wife, the art teacher, had a chance to visit the workshop of a Monet or a Da Vinci and watch the master at work for several hours, she might think it worth a pretty high fee.

I also hasten to add that the meal we enjoyed in Paris was nowhere near the cost quoted earlier for that Las Vegas menu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

First of it usually isn't a single meal but about 15 - 20 dishes and you are not paying for a meal but an experience. It is basically theatre with food. But by your same reasoning it could be argued that it is obnoxious for people to travel overseas and spend money in foreign countries when local economies are hurting. Luxuries are selfish that is the whole point and IMO unless you live like a monk I don't think anyone should criticise what luxuries people want to indulge in. I will never understand why somone would fork out $50000 for a handbag but I will not belittle them for their purchase, if that makes them happy and they can afford it so be it 😉

Actually, I find the price of a $50K handbag to be quite obnoxious.  That doesn't mean I have any ill thoughts about someone who buys one.  Like you say, it is their business.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

We are just going to have to disagree. Neither is going to change the other's mind, but that does not mean we cannot respect the other's opinion.

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Maybe you could see it from a different point of view. 

Joel Robuchon is the highest ranked chef in the world. He is a true artist at what he does. You are paying for that once-in-a-lifetime experiences to see how a master works. (Not that you would necessarily see Joel at work, but at the restaurant in Paris you are seated with a view toward the kitchen and you can watch all of the chefs preparing the food.)

Perhaps if your wife, the art teacher, had a chance to visit the workshop of a Monet or a Da Vinci and watch the master at work for several hours, she might think it worth a pretty high fee.

I also hasten to add that the meal we enjoyed in Paris was nowhere near the cost quoted earlier for that Las Vegas menu.

Again we are going to have different opinions, but can respect the point of view of the other.

As for your workshop observation---when we were in Amsterdam on a land trip (because our booked and paid for in full river cruise was chartered out from under us), one of the places we visited was Rembrandt's home.

Now Rembrandt, unlike fellow Dutch artist Van Gogh, was commercially successful during his lifetime. Although he made a lot of money, he spent it at an even higher rate. (Though I hope he did not buy any $500 meals.🤣) He went bankrupt. The Dutch from the financial records of his bankruptcy were able to recreate his home. One of the very first thing you saw upon entering was a printing press from his time with someone there operating it. One of DW's artistic interests at the time was woodcut prints. She and the person at the press had a lengthy conversation which I know she enjoyed. And I'm sure the worker enjoyed having someone to talk to who was familiar with the subject. And I did enjoy seeing her so engrossed in conversation about art

• Like 1

To me, Vegas is the last stop on a long trip. I put money into machines and I am very pleased with what comes out.

You see, we took four all-summer long RV trips, and many shorter trips, when the kids were growing up, visiting 49 states and several territories and provinces that way. Vegas is a little more than three hours from home. We'd stay the last night at a Thousand Trails park in outer Las Vegas. In the morning, I'd take all the bedding and other laundry and one of the kids and we would go to the laundromat and get everything clean while Hubby and the other two kids did a deep cleaning and other maintenace of the motor home. That way, we arrived home a few hours later with all clean clothes and all the beds made with clean sheets, ready for the next trip. 

As for the reasons most people go to Vegas? Not really my cup of tea, and that's okay. Different strokes for different folks. 

38 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

To me, Vegas is the last stop on a long trip.

Well, it was one of our first stop (took a couple of days to wander down). From there we went to Malibu, then to Death Valley (seems like there was another stop) and home. I wouldn't go just for Vegas.

I thought the subject was which cruise was on your bucket list; so how did Las Vegas get such an argument?  I spent much of my life in Europe but never got the chance to see Istanbul, so that is on my list. I got close a couple of years ago, but the captain cancelled that stop as it was too dangerous at the time. I've rebooked for 2022 but that is still iffy.

• Thanks 1

Bucket list cruises.......

Are we talking   wishing we could do ?..... and would like to do in future ?

what I was getting at the dream cruise....

but can't do it due to state of health/fitness or insufficient funds

or can do but haven't got round to it...

For the moment  me

Would like    a cruise to New Zealand

Dream..  not sure    maybe iceland....

Don

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Bucket list cruises.......

Are we talking   wishing we could do ?..... and would like to do in future ?

what I was getting at the dream cruise....

but can't do it due to state of health/fitness or insufficient funds

or can do but haven't got round to it...

First of all, thanks for sharing, Don.

People can define "bucket list" how they want, but mine is "things I plan to do, given enough time and resources".  The dream list, for me, is separate.  I'd like to do a luxury voyage to the moon, for example, but I expect it to not be affordable in my lifetime.

On 2/12/2021 at 4:35 PM, clo said:

Vegas has become a real food hot spot. I'm sure proximity to LA has something to do with that. Joel Robuchon, currently closed due to COVID, is just one. Diner for two with wine pairings probably in the realm of $K!

As possibly the best French restaurant in town, the dining experience at Joël Robuchon comes with one of the highest average check prices. Guests can expect to pay nearly $500 per person for the signature, 16-course degustation menu.Dec 17, 2019

That’s crazy. I can think of so many other things to do with the money. No food tastes that great and no ambiance is worth that much to me. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OZ. said:

That’s crazy. I can think of so many other things to do with the money. No food tastes that great and no ambiance is worth that much to me. 

Now realize *I* have not been there. And won't 🙂

On 2/13/2021 at 6:06 PM, ilikeanswers said:

It is obnoxious to want to cover your costs and make money from your business😳? The ingredients they use already are expensive and the work that goes into designing each dish can take up to a year so personally I'm OK if they pay the staff accordingly for their work. 

I would never pay that much, but if someone else wants to that’s up to them. What I would like to know is what are the staff doing the other 364 days? As for the profit margins being very thin, I don’t think so. If a typical restaurant can have decent profit margins why would these extremely expensive places have thin ones? 🤔

On 2/13/2021 at 9:22 PM, ldubs said:

Actually, I find the price of a $50K handbag to be quite obnoxious.  That doesn't mean I have any ill thoughts about someone who buys one.  Like you say, it is their business.  

I didn’t even know they made $50K handbags. 🤪

Edited by OZ.

1 hour ago, OZ. said:

I would never pay that much, but if someone else wants to that’s up to them. What I would like to know is what are the staff doing the other 364 days? As for the profit margins being very thin, I don’t think so. If a typical restaurant can have decent profit margins why would these extremely expensive places have thin ones? 🤔

It depends what you consider decent. Personally I thought their profit margins would be higher but they spend a lot of money on R&D so the profits get eaten by that. After all if you're going to charge $500 for a 20 course degustation you need to be serving more than steak and chips 😂. One patisserie chef in Melbourne said it took her five years to figure out how to develop the flakiest croissant. That croissant went on to win awards even the French said it was the best 🥐😋

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1