The Daily for Monday Feb 15, 2021

richwmn

Good morning from the soggy Oregon coast.  We need to go back to Vancover WA but may wait one more day for things to thaw.  If we go, will need to take a shovel to get into our road and driveway.  But certainly not complaining with all the cold and power outages so many of you have.  Crazy weather everywhere.

Thank you Rick for the daily news.

Thank you Roy, for continuing to post.  Always enjoy your sunrise photos.  Again, my condolences to you and your family.  May you be surrounded with comfort and love. 

Here's hoping everyone can stay warm, dry, and safe today.

We will be going out for a few items later...may do Chinese take out for a late lunch!  Always my DH's favorite.

Hugs to you all.

Mary

• Like 21

Good morning, all.We finally have our snow today, in lieu of the forecast sleet. As many have mentioned, it’s Family Day in British Columbia, too. The meal,sounds good, though I agree with Debbie and Ann that the chicken looks bland and needs to be finished IN the sauce, not just served beside it. The wine sounds good - I’ll have to make a note of it!

Roy, once again I’m so sorry about Roger. We’ve all heard so much about him it’s as though he was part of the the group. I know we all feel his loss, and your pain, keenly. In his honour, and in thanks to you, here are some sunrises from times past.

3545042E-A731-437D-AC79-C8051A175628.thumb.jpeg.44dc24daf40e622f7208c45b823e2535.jpeg

From the summit of Mt. Batur, Bali, Indonesia.

3EC08890-D242-4977-91F8-7846F0D68AFE.thumb.jpeg.ee2487aff86ffb0b7cd2356f2c5a1edb.jpeg

Dawn in Palm Springs, California.

31E4CB28-5B13-45E0-866E-7BA42ECA90F5.thumb.jpeg.583ff81e9e8546973a553be0075161d7.jpeg

Chile, near Punta Arenas.

1DADE122-E915-412F-B2AE-EA90CA747A1A.thumb.jpeg.345933ed981fd55c1a399c0a16cfeaaa.jpeg

Drakes Passage, northbound, illustrating Drakes Lake .EB35C67D-1195-41DD-BEA6-F6220D789E34.thumb.jpeg.12ef910232b4f4f769bd1dd7e695b357.jpeg

Rapa Nui.

70B1BA9F-8DD7-46BA-A620-DD5FFBA050A9.thumb.jpeg.f1de3aa50532e011b3a4fbe87b5f6000.jpeg

Tahiti, with those glorious jagged rock peaks rising from a tropical jungle.

D95C0CFA-888A-49A7-9A22-6C81504C93B6.thumb.jpeg.118c3bea9d4d915a8092db6b7c9a4805.jpeg

Auckland, New Zealand. With those colours in the sky, even the shipyard looks glamorous!

30B912B5-E686-4687-8D56-B67CA6B9E2AB.thumb.jpeg.3a65da25c1fe5f77910f4be4c56786f8.jpeg

Hunter Valley north of Sydney,  Australia. Watching the sun rise from a hot air balloon in flight. Possibly the most magical experience ever!

CB8BF096-2678-44D9-9584-83AEFA1D46EC.thumb.jpeg.196112a85cea6e94b4a87c0e7eae5ed6.jpeg

The Indian Ocean, awaiting word on permission to dock in Fremantle after, well, you know!

And finally, Happy Monday. Stay safe, and stay warm.

A756BE6C-DA5E-413B-92E3-9E54090893F5.thumb.jpeg.20e2738796a8f15c6fdd299dba4bf72c.jpeg

• Like 26

Thank you all for creating this treat every day.

@rafinmdMy heartfelt condolences on the unexpected passing of your brother Roger.  Thank you for continuing your sunrise photos. Since joining this thread,  when I see a sunrise picture, I think of you and your wonderful tradition and am appreciating my own sunrise and sunset pictures all the more.

Best wishes for your own upcoming heart procedure.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

What is Family Day in Canada?  I’ll have to look that up. 

It is not Family Day in every Canadian Province.  In Nova Scotia it is Heritage Day and the person or event that is celebrated changes every year.

Celebrated the third Monday in February, Nova Scotia Heritage Day is an annual reminder of our storied past and an opportunity to honour the remarkable people, places and events that have contributed to this province’s unique heritage.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Roy, once again I’m so sorry about Roger. We’ve all heard so much about him it’s as though he was part of the the group. I know we all feel his loss, and your pain, keenly. In his honour, and in thanks to you, here are some sunrises from times past.

Love your sunrise pictures!!  Gorgeous. No wonder your CC name is Horizon Chaser!

Also, thank you everyone for the explanation of Family Day or Heritage Day or whatever each Province calls their February Day. Sounds like a great way to take a day off to celebrate. It definitely is a long wait between holidays after the first of the year. When I was working we didn’t get many paid holidays off, after New Years Day the next was Memorial Day in May.  That is how it is in the medical field. I always looked forward to summertime because of the three holidays, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day. 

• Like 16

😊 Good Afternoon from California ----we just returned from receiving our second dose of the Moderna Vaccine and thought it best to rest and drink a lot of water.:classic_biggrin:👀 I've been moving and exercising my arm a lot to relieve the 'future' pain I hear about!? 😁

Thank you for the Daily, Rich, and I'm very sorry Roy for the loss of your brother. ♥️Your on-line family is sending condolences and prayers. 🙏

Happy President's Day and hopefully more and more vaccinations will be available in a timely manner.👍 I keep thinking the teachers should move up the list and get the vaccine. Children need to return safely to a school environment. ✏️📚

16134243636776805519185294879135.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I was scrolling through my pictures to share a sunrise/sunset picture when I came across this one instead. Definitely some sunset colors. Made me feel a little warmer and surely spring will be here eventually, right? 

St Louis Sal

P.S. These tulips were from Keukenhof Gardens in the Netherlands. 

CD993B1B-8DA0-4A23-91F8-03DA0C5F743F.jpeg

• Like 25

@St. Louis Salgorgeous tulips!!  My favorite kind.  Sadly the bulbs I bought in Rotterdam bloomed only one year (and we grow tulips easily here).  Thank you for the beautiful photo.

I know a few of our group live in AZ -- @lazey1, @Sharon in AZand maybe a few others?  I'm planning our spring road trip and would love any advice re restaurants, weather, anything.  We'll be staying in Williams a couple nights while visiting the Grand Canyon, it will be the first week of May.  I know areas of the canyon are closed that early, that's ok, we'll see as much as we can.  Thanks for any help! 

• Like 10

image.thumb.jpeg.7bf9c65310f750c42e45534baaae8992.jpeg
🌺Roy, as I said last night I am so deeply saddened by your loss. Thank you so much for everything you do on CC. As I have told you over the years your sunrises and sunsets mean so much to me because they remind me of my mother! Roger will always be close everyday! Rest In Peace Roger❤️

I was up early today since I was helping out at our Del Mar Race Track with vaccines. More Moderna had arrived so it was a blessing. A lot of delays in shipments  and many places have had to reschedule vaccines. Long day. This will be my last week of helping and have been so humbled by the experience.

David is doing dinner tonight! Barbecue easy steak and bake potato!

❤️To all!! Love our family here and have a great evening!

Denise😊

• Like 18

27 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

@St. Louis Salgorgeous tulips!!  My favorite kind.  Sadly the bulbs I bought in Rotterdam bloomed only one year (and we grow tulips easily here).  Thank you for the beautiful photo.

I know a few of our group live in AZ -- @lazey1, @Sharon in AZand maybe a few others?  I'm planning our spring road trip and would love any advice re restaurants, weather, anything.  We'll be staying in Williams a couple nights while visiting the Grand Canyon, it will be the first week of May.  I know areas of the canyon are closed that early, that's ok, we'll see as much as we can.  Thanks for any help! 

Don’t live in Arizona but did want to pass on my thoughts about the Grand Canyon. We did the south rim in 1992 on our first cross country trip and it was stunning. We had a chance to do the North rim in 2012 and I loved that even more. We went in from kanab. Did Zion and Bryce on that trip too. I personally would choose the North rim every time. 

Edited by superoma
Spelling
  • Like 6

Thanks for the daily reports,humour and  photos ........Roy, lovely sunrise shot today.

Yesterday the first batch of Pfizer vaccines arrived in the country, (on a Singapore Airlines flight), the first injections are expected to be given to Border workers on Saturday.

Sunshine  but only 14 C today after another wet day yesterday.

At the local Supermarket this morning,  wearing our masks,  but very few other customers did so. The staff were wearing masks..  Social distancing at the checkout.

Stay well and safe everyone.

• Like 16

17 minutes ago, superoma said:

Don’t live in Arizona but did want to pass on my thoughts about the Grand Canyon. We did the south rim in 1992 on our first cross country trip and it was stunning. We had a chance to do the North rim in 2012 and I loved that even more. We went in from kanab. Did Zion and Bryce on that trip too. I personally would choose the North rim every time. 

Thank you for your thoughts!  I just checked, and the North Rim doesn't open until the middle of May, we'll miss it by about 10 days. 😞  We'll make the most of whatever we see though.  It's been decades since I've seen it, I barely remember. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

By May, the south rim should be open.  It is the north rim, which is at higher elevation that opens later. We have been at the south rim in April with no problems.  That being said, with this year’s winter weather, there are no guarantees. 😜

If you drive north from Williams and then go east along the south rim and beyond until you come to the highway back to Flagstaff, you will see most of the canyon, the little grand canyon and a lot of spectacular scenery. The drive back to Williams through Flagstaff.  It is an easy day trip.

I really can’t recommend a restaurant in Williams, since we are usually in our motorhome and eat there.  The one place we tried, in an old service station, was a disappointment.  If you go through, Winslow, the restaurant at the old railroad hotel (can’t remember the name) is very good.  It started out as a Harvey House. 

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
Added information.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, Roy, the drinks and recipes ladies, and all who enjoy this thread.

Our snow has melted and we aren't supposed to get much below 40F tonight so no ice in the morning.  Enjoyed the snow but am glad we no longer live where I need to shovel the drive way.  The city won't grit our street but does do all those around us.  Had a quiet Valentine's day with nice appetizers and some champagne.

Roy  my condolences on the loss of your brother.  Prayers to you and your family.

Prayers to all those who need them and best wishes to all.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Oh gosh!  I so wish I could help more.  We have never stayed in Williams.  Last time we were at GC was probably 25 years ago..... wow, so long ago.  Back before kids we loved staying at the Bright Angel Lodge which is right at the rim.  At that time there was a buffet style restaurant either at Bright Angel or nearby. We stayed once at an outlying hotel/motel, still part of the park service, that was okay especially with children at that time.  El Tovar is the historical hotel and we ate dinner there once, it was lovely, and toured the hotel.  I would love to stay at El Tovar again, very old world and elegant in its own way.  We also ate at a restaurant at the rim that was lovely.  I can't remember the name, google says there is a steak restaurant there called Arizona Steakhouse so that might be the one it was.  The entire area near Bright Angel/El Tovar is very walkable, it's the outlying areas that you need to drive to   Just make sure to walk all the trails, stay away from the Bright Angel Trail which takes you to the bottom (unless you are a REAL hiker, people lose toenails on that trail).  There is a Bashas (grocery store) near by where you can purchase groceries if you are camping/RVing.... lots of RV's there.  Weather in May should be cold, at least for me it would be.  My son lost his baseball mitt back in 1993 there so if you find it please let me know.  🙂 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1