FDR Says It Will take 90 Days To Relaunch US Cruises After CDC Gives A Green Light

njhorseman

33 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

With Marina and Riviera not in US waters, I wonder if they would begin restart for Med cruises next month. 

All the lines are still awaiting word from the EU on when sailing , and tourism, can resume there. Hopefully they’ll learn fairly soon.

• Like 1

I call BS on this statement by FDR:

"Overall, Del Rio said that the bookings for 2022 were very encouraging with his three brands, Norwegian, Oceania and Regent 40 percent booked at this time, which is better than any previous years, with pricing in line with 2019."

I just did a per diem comparison with 2019/20/21 and 22 cruises I had/have booked.  Same stateroom category, > than 20 days sailing:

2019 $450 (sailed)

2020 $650 (cancelled)

2021 $520 (cancelled)

2022 $570 (???)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aloha 1 said:

With Marina and Riviera not in US waters, I wonder if they would begin restart for Med cruises next month. 

doubtful

maybe for  residents of the Country where the ships are docked

but wait  where is the crew??

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

doubtful

maybe for  residents of the Country where the ships are docked

but wait  where is the crew??

Well, other lines are already sailing the Med. MSC for example. I would expect some action to restore crew to ships by end of March if sailing in the Med were to resume in June.

35 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

Well, other lines are already sailing the Med. MSC for example. I would expect some action to restore crew to ships by end of March if sailing in the Med were to resume in June.

Yes NCLH  just picked up a bunch a crew from Indonesia   for the start up    then  were going back home

https://crew-center.com/all-ncl-non-essential-crew-be-repatriated-home-april-2021

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Yes NCLH  just picked up a bunch a crew from Indonesia   for the start up    then  were going back home

https://crew-center.com/all-ncl-non-essential-crew-be-repatriated-home-april-2021

One thing we need to keep in mind is the difference between 2 to 4 Oceania ships currently in the EU versus NCL ships, the majority of which sail primarily from the US. I'm still focused on what happens with Marina and Riviera the next 30 or so days.

22 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

One thing we need to keep in mind is the difference between 2 to 4 Oceania ships currently in the EU versus NCL ships, the majority of which sail primarily from the US. I'm still focused on what happens with Marina and Riviera the next 30 or so days.

The crew being repatriated are not just NCL, they are from all three lines of the holding company. NCL ships were used because they're much bigger so they can carry far more crew numbers than the small Oceania and Regent Seven Seas ships. It's lot cheaper to use one or two large ships to transport the crew than several smaller ships.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

Don't the crew need to be vaccinated first before these other lines are ready to sail with various passenger nationalities ?

Then getting crew to the ships.

Some time consuming challenges ahead.

3 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

MSC is carrying only Italian passengers on very limited Italian itineraries. That's not something that's useful as a model for Oceania's return to cruising. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The crew being repatriated are not just NCL, they are from all three lines of the holding company. NCL ships were used because they're much bigger so they can carry far more crew numbers than the small Oceania and Regent Seven Seas ships. It's lot cheaper to use one or two large ships to transport the crew than several smaller ships.

I get that. I was referring to returning crew to O ships.

16 hours ago, njhorseman said:

MSC is carrying only Italian passengers on very limited Italian itineraries. That's not something that's useful as a model for Oceania's return to cruising. 

It is in the sense that it is a real work learning experience.

• Like 1

After reading the article, I have two questions to pose:  If cruising would need to restart in July with 50% occupancy, would it make sense to start off with the R class ships?  (Less crew to vaccinate, test and manage.  Fewer passengers keeping the risk of infection reduced)  Also, if they were to start up cruising at 50% levels on ships which have already sold out, how do they decide which PAX to bump? 

21 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

After reading the article, I have two questions to pose:  If cruising would need to restart in July with 50% occupancy, would it make sense to start off with the R class ships?  (Less crew to vaccinate, test and manage.  Fewer passengers keeping the risk of infection reduced)  Also, if they were to start up cruising at 50% levels on ships which have already sold out, how do they decide which PAX to bump? 

If things don’t improve, I will give up my cabin.  
 50% capacity?    My reserved cabin is in a heavily booked area of the ship.   Cabins on both sides are also booked.  Could I safely use my veranda?   Would cabins be reassigned to distance guests?  There are many issues to be addressed before ships cruise again.  For now, it’s a waiting game.  Not thinking ships will sail soon.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

If things don’t improve, I will give up my cabin.  
 50% capacity?    My reserved cabin is in a heavily booked area of the ship.   Cabins on both sides are also booked.  Could I safely use my veranda?   Would cabins be reassigned to distance guests?  There are many issues to be addressed before ships cruise again.  For now, it’s a waiting game.  Not thinking ships will sail soon.

I wonder if they'll be a difference in compensation between PAX who voluntarily give up the stateroom and those who are involuntarily bumped off the sailing.  I'm hoping they come out with move over offers first.

The option you’re  not considering is whether they blocked off half the cabins prior to release. I don’t expect anything to sail prior to 4th Qtr ( Oct or Nov), so I’m not sure how many cabins were sold pre capacity limits.

Remember “ FULL “ now equals 50% capacity. One doesn’t know if the original cabin they want is already occupied or blocked off.

On the last release, my TA told me that “ if we wanted a PH, we had to give her permission to book us whatever she could get us. All the PH and above were prebooked by release date. There would be no times for calls back and forth on “ how about this or how about that instead “. The number of cabins released were very limited and they will be gone by morning’s end on allocation.”

10 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

The option you’re  not considering is whether they blocked off half the cabins prior to release. I don’t expect anything to sail prior to 4th Qtr ( Oct or Nov), so I’m not sure how many cabins were sold pre capacity limits.

Remember “ FULL “ now equals 50% capacity. One doesn’t know if the original cabin they want is already occupied or blocked off.

On the last release, my TA told me that “ if we wanted a PH, we had to give her permission to book us whatever she could get us. All the PH and above were prebooked by release date. There would be no times for calls back and forth on “ how about this or how about that instead “. The number of cabins released were very limited and they will be gone by morning’s end on allocation.”

Good point.  Only time will tell.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

I don’t understand what your TA told you. Which sailing was this for?

5 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

I get that. I was referring to returning crew to O ships.

The point is that the crew from all three NCLH lines that were brought in for the restart are being sent home again so they're no longer on board for a near term restart. By the way only three of the smaller NCL ships are currently located in US waters so regardless of where they might usually be based at present most of the NCL capacity is also located in Europe right now.

6 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Does O ever offer Move Over Offers?  If so, what do they usually consist of?

Occasionally when things are overbooked they will offer to cancel and give you a bonus.  Varies.

Of course in COVID time all cancellations are move over. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1