Anthem UK cruises in the summer?

Guest BigRoger
1 hour ago, Pandamonia said:

There isnt any demand for it. Not in relation to the fact there will be a load of P&O ships and Princess ships doing the same thing and all the other cruise lines desperate to stop losing money at any cost. 

The UK cruise market isnt that big. They struggle to fill 2 RCCL ships out of southampton every year. Not to mention all the other lines and that is sailing somewhere warm!

I clearly bow to such definitive and authoritative knowledge of the views of the whole UK cruising populous.

Do you also know the next winners of the grand national..... and the lottery numbers....

Edited by BigRoger

1 hour ago, BigRoger said:

I clearly bow to such definitive and authoritative knowledge of the views of the whole UK cruising populous.

Do you also know the next winners of the grand national..... and the lottery numbers....

Go talk to a TA. They will tell you what the demand is for cruises in general. The demand is refunds. none stop refunds. People want to go on holiday in the Sun. Not the British channel.

The Key word i said is "not in relation" to the availability due to all the lines doing the same thing. There are always some people who want to do something and hard core cruisers but if you want to be pedantic we can use the term "weak demand" or "not very popular" 

Guest BigRoger

If we were really pedants (and maybe actually accurate).... it could more sensibly be ‘whilst we don’t actually know what the demand might be given no one is selling any yet and so the market has not been tested..... it’s certainly not likely to be as popular or enjoyable as cruises to other countries would be....’ - forgive me also... I don’t think I’ll accept your order to ‘go talk to a TA..’... always a pleasure to engage with nice people

51 minutes ago, BigRoger said:

If we were really pedants (and maybe actually accurate).... it could more sensibly be ‘whilst we don’t actually know what the demand might be given no one is selling any yet and so the market has not been tested..... it’s certainly not likely to be as popular or enjoyable as cruises to other countries would be....’ - forgive me also... I don’t think I’ll accept your order to ‘go talk to a TA..’... always a pleasure to engage with nice people

Well said sir.

7 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

There isnt any demand for it. Not in relation to the fact there will be a load of P&O ships and Princess ships doing the same thing and all the other cruise lines desperate to stop losing money at any cost. 

The UK cruise market isnt that big. They struggle to fill 2 RCCL ships out of southampton every year. Not to mention all the other lines and that is sailing somewhere warm!

Nonsense

• Like 1

I've thought carefully about it, and while I love cruising UK-only cruises just won't scratch that itch for me. I want sun and sea, not cool weather and ports barely any distance from each other. I'd much rather a cruise to nowhere that went down to the Med and back again.

If we add in social distancing and mask wearing requirements then it's really going to be a no.

It's looking very much like giving cruising in 2021 a pass is the way to go..

56 minutes ago, HalifaxYorksCruiser said:

I’m booked on the Anthem for the 21st May. Hoping they cancel soon as final balance is due 25th March. Not keen on paying final balance as still waiting for a refund from cancelled April Azamara cruise that was cancelled in January. 

I'm the same - I'm booked on Anthem 7th May - so that definitely cannot go ahead due to UK travel restrictions - and they haven't even cancelled that yet.  My payment is due next Thursday 😕

2 hours ago, shopaholic6 said:

I'm the same - I'm booked on Anthem 7th May - so that definitely cannot go ahead due to UK travel restrictions - and they haven't even cancelled that yet.  My payment is due next Thursday 😕

We are very similar and unfortunately I think that we’re going to have to make final payment also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

If Royal does not sail out of Southampton this summer they will lose potential new cruisers who are willing to book short cruise in case they don't like cruising  

Hello,

Maybe not this summer, but last summer appears to be a possibility.

From a marketing email to me from RCI this morning re Anthem:

If you sail from Southampton, get ready for Mediterranean marvels, Iberian isles and the rugged coasts of the Canaries as this Quantum Class favourite returns to Europe in summer 2020.

I RCI had owned the White Star Line it would probably still be advertising the return TA of the Titanic!

Regards,

Cublet

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, HalifaxYorksCruiser said:

I’m booked on the Anthem for the 21st May. Hoping they cancel soon as final balance is due 25th March. Not keen on paying final balance as still waiting for a refund from cancelled April Azamara cruise that was cancelled in January. 

As most Brits know international  travel restrictions are meant to be lifted from the 17th May, but I don't think it will apply to cruises. May be some short local trial cruises by mid to end Summer depending on covid rates

5 hours ago, shopaholic6 said:

We are booked on that too. Just waiting for everyone to get past final payment and then I expect them to cancel it. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, beardedladies said:

I've thought carefully about it, and while I love cruising UK-only cruises just won't scratch that itch for me. I want sun and sea, not cool weather and ports barely any distance from each other. I'd much rather a cruise to nowhere that went down to the Med and back again.

If we add in social distancing and mask wearing requirements then it's really going to be a no.

I agree with this when i pay for a holiday i want to have the weather as well and sadly the UK weather cannot be relied upon.

Masks and social distancing, dosn't bother me at all. I spent 4 months in Cyprus where mask wearing is more mandated then the UK and felt weird coming home and seeing people outside with out a mask.

Finally, is there a UK market for UK only cruises from Southampton? I found there is but P&O are so much cheaper sailing from Southampton than RCL. In fact it worked out cheaper for us to fly to Barcelona and spend a week around the med on O of S rather then Anthem sailing from Southampton, and for us with a child RCL offer more then P & O.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, HalifaxYorksCruiser said:

Is this information in the public domain anywhere ?

Hello,

I (my TA) was told they aren't going to make a public announcement, but anybody calling them will be told this.

Regards,

Cublet

I'm just hoping our September cruise from Southampton to the Norwegian Fjords happens.....assuming that the UK will allow US visitors by then and the USA will allow residents to return without having to quarantine or jump thru fire hoops.  My vaccine is scheduled for next month......

On 3/4/2021 at 11:14 PM, Garyjames220 said:

Does anyone think the anthem may do it’s planned sailings from the uk from 17th May onwards 

No chance, just the usual waiting game, we all know it won't sail but RC are always last to annouce cancellations

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 8:07 PM, beardedladies said:

I agree. I’ve sailed twice out of Southampton. Both times the first couple of days were too wet and cold to use the outdoor facilities. It didn’t feel like a holiday until day 3, when we reached the med. 
If ‘staycations’ are all that’s available this year then there’s a lot more pleasant and cheaper ways to do it than on a cruise. If foreign land-based holidays are available then sign me up. 

• Like 1

Hello,

My advice is not to get wedded to the idea of free/open foreign travel from 17th May. June 21st, maybe (just).

This is because there has been no set date for the end of compulsory quarantine if you have been to a country on the 'red list'. Whilst June 21st is the end of all legal limits on social contact in the UK, the treatment of returnees from overseas has not been specifically included in this milestone.

Regards,

Cublet