Anthem UK cruises in the summer?

Hello,

Is Joff the Joff that used to be CD on Celebrity?

One of the biggest mobilisation factors will be the return of crew. Southampton Airport serves nowhere farther east than Mykonos so that probably means Southampton Central railway station won't know what's hit them as several thousand crew return to Anthem.

Someone on another thread said that time would have to be allowed for staff training - to which I thought "Staff training - that'll be a first!"

I think the 'new improved' CC does not have countdown to cruise clocks - my Days between Dates says it's 79 days until the 1st June. Notwithstanding that our first departure isn't scheduled to depart until 4th June, I can't see it happening. As for UK only cruises, going around the Isle of Wight for 7 days has no appeal as I did that for 4 days on QM2 and most other UK ports capable of taking Anthem would be predominantly for commercial cargo - and we all know what a pain it is going to ports overseas that have restricted pedestrian access and a tent as the cruise terminal.

And I would love to be proved wrong!

Regards,

Cublet

5 hours ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Is Joff the Joff that used to be CD on Celebrity?

One of the biggest mobilisation factors will be the return of crew. Southampton Airport serves nowhere farther east than Mykonos so that probably means Southampton Central railway station won't know what's hit them as several thousand crew return to Anthem.

Someone on another thread said that time would have to be allowed for staff training - to which I thought "Staff training - that'll be a first!"

I think the 'new improved' CC does not have countdown to cruise clocks - my Days between Dates says it's 79 days until the 1st June. Notwithstanding that our first departure isn't scheduled to depart until 4th June, I can't see it happening. As for UK only cruises, going around the Isle of Wight for 7 days has no appeal as I did that for 4 days on QM2 and most other UK ports capable of taking Anthem would be predominantly for commercial cargo - and we all know what a pain it is going to ports overseas that have restricted pedestrian access and a tent as the cruise terminal.

And I would love to be proved wrong!

Regards,

Cublet

Since things can change until the actual date the ban will be lifted the cruiselines will not prepare any of their ships with all the logistics involved until the actual official announcement that the ban was lifted. Hence, if at all before some time in August no cruises will depart even from the UK.

For getting the crews back to the ship, this will surely happen staggered over days and weeks hence, you will not have suddenly thousands of crew members arriving at once in Southamption. To keep things easy the cruiselines will likely bring the crew members from the London airports via buses to the cruiseterminal in most cases.

UK cruises are coming.....

VikingCruises is to name new ship Viking Venus in the UK on May 17 and then restart operations with three scenic cruises along the coast of England from Portsmouth for UK residents only, with departures on 22 May, 29 May and 5 June 2021 

Viking says it will not require vaccinations for these three sailings.

Edited by little britain
  • Like 2

Given P&O's announcement of 3,4 and 7 night cruises to nowhere, I expect there will be a plethora of cruise line announcements in the next few weeks.  Sadly, for me, P&O have a vaccination only policy for these sailings so no kids.  Will be interesting to see what RCI's policy will be - as I don't believe their cruises from Israel have that stipulation.

they must be geniuses over at P&O. 

Government says only one vaccine is needed for 85% protection. P&O say you need 95% protection from both vaccines...

Clearly dont understand that most adults wont get second vaccine until end of the cruise season in September.  My 64yo dad is 11 weeks from his second vaccine. Has zero interest in sitting in a boat stuck in the channel. 

Wonder where they will get double vaccinated staff from? If they give staff vaccines over general public i will take this to my MP and the media. 

Are these cruise lines run by thickos?

1 hour ago, Pandamonia said:

Government says only one vaccine is needed for 85% protection. P&O say you need 95% protection from both vaccines...

Clearly dont understand that most adults wont get second vaccine until end of the cruise season in September.  My 64yo dad is 11 weeks from his second vaccine. Has zero interest in sitting in a boat stuck in the channel. 

Wonder where they will get double vaccinated staff from? If they give staff vaccines over general public i will take this to my MP and the media. 

Many people including me will have had their second vaccine by the time these cruises start in June. I think they will fill them easily (they are only offering balcony cabins so much less capacity than usual). I understand that not everyone will enjoy only sea days but there are plenty of us that do longer cruises and TAs that love the sea days. 

We'll wait to see if RCL announce something as that is our first choice but if not we'll probably book one of the P and O trips. I'd just be happy to be on a ship.

• Like 3

They won’t be requiring crew to be vaccinated.

So not, they’re not.

61C18BDC-3949-4818-BC22-0DB78CE532E5.jpeg

Guest BigRoger
2 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

I'm not entirely sure who the 'thickos' are.... but the drivel coming out from some posters is amazing....

'my 64 year old dad....' - is a really strange scenario but one miles from truth and reality... both vaccinations for us were scheduled for way sooner than in 11 weeks time... and we are a long way from 64.... stop making up stuff to fit an unnecessarily contentious argument (again...)

If you don't want to go on anything then simply don't but don't peddle disinformation.... either you don't know the reality or don't want to put it as it doesn't fit... you've explained time and again how cruises to nowhere don't interest you one iota... fair do's I totally respect that... it's your choice... P&O and others believe there is going to be a market for cruise ship experiences this summer

7 hours ago, BigRoger said:

I'm not entirely sure who the 'thickos' are.... but the drivel coming out from some posters is amazing....

'my 64 year old dad....' - is a really strange scenario but one miles from truth and reality... both vaccinations for us were scheduled for way sooner than in 11 weeks time... and we are a long way from 64.... stop making up stuff to fit an unnecessarily contentious argument (again...)

If you don't want to go on anything then simply don't but don't peddle disinformation.... either you don't know the reality or don't want to put it as it doesn't fit... you've explained time and again how cruises to nowhere don't interest you one iota... fair do's I totally respect that... it's your choice... P&O and others believe there is going to be a market for cruise ship experiences this summer

Guess what genius... different regions are at different stages. Also they book you weeks in advance and then you need to wait 13 weeks before you can board a cruise and who will take the chance their second dose comes on time with the recent problems from the EU.  Add in the recent development of the delay for under 50's and the vaccine export ban from the EU the potential market for double vaccined guests is rapidly shrinking.  No to mention that your partner could be 5 or 10 years younger and wont see the second vaccine even further away. So unless both of you are double vaccinated then neither of you are eligible. 

So now their position is staff have no vaccine but guests do? What could go wrong with that.... See ya all in Hotel quarantine of the seas.

None of this adds up. 

Edited by Pandamonia

Guest BigRoger
6 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

Guess what genius... different regions are at different stages. Also they book you weeks in advance and then you need to wait 13 weeks before you can board a cruise and who will take the chance their second dose comes on time with the recent problems from the EU.  Add in the recent development of the delay for under 50's and the vaccine export ban from the EU the potential market for double vaccined guests is rapidly shrinking.  No to mention that your partner could be 5 or 10 years younger and wont see the second vaccine even further away. So unless both of you are double vaccinated then neither of you are eligible. 

So now their position is staff have no vaccine but guests do? What could go wrong with that.... See ya all in Hotel quarantine of the seas.

None of this adds up. 

As clearly I am a ‘genius’ I will only state that I totally agree with you.... ‘none of this adds up....’ - you and I are totally in agreement on that.... ps I have a spare JCB if you want to use it?

8 hours ago, kernow said:

Many people including me will have had their second vaccine by the time these cruises start in June. I think they will fill them easily (they are only offering balcony cabins so much less capacity than usual). I understand that not everyone will enjoy only sea days but there are plenty of us that do longer cruises and TAs that love the sea days. 

We'll wait to see if RCL announce something as that is our first choice but if not we'll probably book one of the P and O trips. I'd just be happy to be on a ship.

I dont know where this assumption that i dont like sea days or cruises to nowhere. I love sea days.... In the Med. Not so much anywhere else as 4/5 days are cold, cloudy and rough. I love how they are going to sail to the where the weather is good.. easier said than done i think in the british channel

Edited by Pandamonia

1 minute ago, BigRoger said:

As clearly I am a ‘genius’ I will only state that I totally agree with you.... ‘none of this adds up....’ - you and I are totally in agreement on that.... ps I have a spare JCB if you want to use it?

So you cant counter my point.

Got it.

Guest BigRoger
2 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

So you cant counter my point.

Got it.

🤔........ where is that spade emoji....

As of March 18 2021, all those who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 will be allowed to travel to Iceland without being subject to border measures, such as testing and quarantine. This includes citizens from the UK and the USA 🇮🇸

That’s one potential port

• Like 1

Just now, Milwaukee Eight said:

You mean you guys in the UK can just anybody and everybody if you disagree?

M8

Well you can make a case for it to be raised in parliament. 

Corporations should not jump the queue for vaccines in order to vaccinate none british nationals so P&O can make money whilst flagged out of some port in a tax haven using vaccines paid for by the UK tax payer. 

Im guessing this is why they arent vaccinating staff. Politically it would be suicide. Especially since we are still locked down and businesses closed 

24 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

Well you can make a case for it to be raised in parliament. 

Corporations should not jump the queue for vaccines in order to vaccinate none british nationals so P&O can make money whilst flagged out of some port in a tax haven using vaccines paid for by the UK tax payer. 

Im guessing this is why they arent vaccinating staff. Politically it would be suicide. Especially since we are still locked down and businesses closed 

Don’t know how my post got screwed up but I believe you got the jest. 

13 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

I dont know where this assumption that i dont like sea days or cruises to nowhere. I love sea days.... In the Med. Not so much anywhere else as 4/5 days are cold, cloudy and rough. I love how they are going to sail to the where the weather is good.. easier said than done i think in the british channel

Your point seemed to be that there would not be enough people wanting to do these cruises to make them worthwhile for the cruise lines. 

Fair enough, you only like sea days with calm seas and warm weather but there are many of us that are happy to be on a ship whatever the weather. All the cruise lines fill their TAs every year, that's many thousands of people happy with 7 straight sea days with no guarantees about the weather.

21 minutes ago, kernow said:

Your point seemed to be that there would not be enough people wanting to do these cruises to make them worthwhile for the cruise lines. 

Fair enough, you only like sea days with calm seas and warm weather but there are many of us that are happy to be on a ship whatever the weather. All the cruise lines fill their TAs every year, that's many thousands of people happy with 7 straight sea days with no guarantees about the weather.

My point was that if every cruise ship which can sail from UK ports chooses to do so even with balcony only then thats a lot of capacity to fill. At the price of 1200 pounds for 7 days in the channel per person its a bit laughable in terms of cost also. No flight and no port fees but costs more than peak time week on Allure in the Med inc flights and ports. I can go to mexico 5 star all inc for that cost, no vaccine required just a test on return.

The vaccine requirement of DOUBLE doses is the most insane part of the whole plan because that limits nearly all 50 year olds with wives in their 40's, Most 60 year olds with wives in 50's and some even older than that. As well as anyone with any children or adult children that go cruising with families.  At this rate it will look like a Saga cruise.

There might also be a legal problem letting unvaccinated staff on the ship but mandatory vaccines from guests. Discrimination laws are powerful and a legal minefield. 

This make it all the more perplexing when the government is saying 1 dose is 85% effective at reducing symptomatic infection and reduction of infection also massively reduced and so is transmission. So combined with testing there is almost zero risk with 1 vaccine dose. The second dose is belt and braces long term enhance protection. 

So its all the more perplexing that companies are choosing this combination of requirements

Edited by Pandamonia

My point was that if every cruise ship which can sail from UK ports chooses to do so even with balcony only then thats a lot of capacity to fill. At the price of 1200 pounds for 7 days in the channel per person its a bit laughable in terms of cost also. No flight and no port fees but costs more than peak time week on Allure in the Med inc flights and ports. I can go to mexico 5 star all inc for that cost, no vaccine required just a test on return.

The vaccine requirement of DOUBLE doses is the most insane part of the whole plan because that limits nearly all 50 year olds with wives in their 40's, Most 60 year olds with wives in 50's and some even older than that. As well as anyone with any children or adult children that go cruising with families.  At this rate it will look like a Saga cruise.

There might also be a legal problem letting unvaccinated staff on the ship but mandatory vaccines from guests. Discrimination laws are powerful and a legal minefield. 

This make it all the more perplexing when the government is saying 1 dose is 85% effective at reducing symptomatic infection and reduction of infection also massively reduced and so is transmission. So combined with testing there is almost zero risk with 1 vaccine dose. The second dose is belt and braces long term enhance protection. 

So its all the more perplexing that companies are choosing this combination of requirements

According to the P and O website their 7 night cruises start at £779 on Iona which is a brand new ship

. I guess if the prices are too high for the market they will fall.