Anthem UK cruises in the summer?

On 3/6/2021 at 5:06 PM, cublet said:

Hello,

My advice is not to get wedded to the idea of free/open foreign travel from 17th May. June 21st, maybe (just).

This is because there has been no set date for the end of compulsory quarantine if you have been to a country on the 'red list'. Whilst June 21st is the end of all legal limits on social contact in the UK, the treatment of returnees from overseas has not been specifically included in this milestone.

Regards,

Cublet

what has red list got to do with Anthem cruises out of the UK? Only Portugal is on that list and that port will be missed off on a UK cruise to the Med. Plenty of ports in France, Spain, Italy and Greece etc that can be visited instead of Portugal. 

Europe will be fully open by May because it cannot afford not to be. The issue will be that cruise ships are being singled out but they are the cleanest places i have ever holidayed. Ski resorts filthy, hotels in the med filthy and often give you food poisoning. I got bad food poisoning in Valdesire so called celebrity ski resort. I cant count the number of times ive been flying home from some dump country in the Med dying of a chest infection and everything else. 

In fact the only place you are ever in close contact with anyone in a cruise ship is the lift. Id happily shut those after being stuck in a glass bubble with some of the states of the people who cruise via Southampton. 

In fact the lift on a cruise ship is the only place id ever WANT to wear a facemask. Scratch that... give me a hazmat suit.

Edited by Pandamonia

2 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

what has red list got to do with Anthem cruises out of the UK? Only Portugal is on that list and that port will be missed off on a UK cruise to the Med. Plenty of ports in France, Spain, Italy and Greece etc that can be visited instead of Portugal. 

Europe will be fully open by May because it cannot afford not to be. The issue will be that cruise ships are being singled out but they are the cleanest places i have ever holidayed. Ski resorts filthy, hotels in the med filthy and often give you food poisoning. I got bad food poisoning in Valdesire so called celebrity ski resort. I cant count the number of times ive been flying home from some dump country in the Med dying of a chest infection and everything else. 

In fact the only place you are ever in close contact with anyone in a cruise ship is the lift. Id happily shut those after being stuck in a glass bubble with some of the states of the people who cruise via Southampton. 

In fact the lift on a cruise ship is the only place id ever WANT to wear a facemask. Scratch that... give me a hazmat suit.

It has lots to do with cruises out of the UK, Anthem or anything else.

The 'red list' is not set in stone - there are currently 31 destinations, including, as you say, Portugal, but also The Azores and Madeira. Countries (or islands) have been added or removed from the red list with as little as two day's notice.

That being the case, logically wherever one sails do, it should be no more that two days' cruise from the UK unless and until the isolation/quarantine regulations come to an end.

Cublet

Unless the EU pull their finger out and start vaccinating, I don’t think I’d actually want to land in an EU country!

About 3.58 million people of France's 67 million population have received a first jab compared to neighbouring Britain, also around 67 million population; which is nearing 23 million vaccinated! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, little britain said:

Unless the EU pull their finger out and start vaccinating, I don’t think I’d actually want to land in an EU country!

About 3.58 million people of France's 67 million population have received a first jab compared to neighbouring Britain, also around 67 million population; which is nearing 23 million vaccinated! 

If you are vaccinated it makes no difference.

So, we have no idea at this point if our Sept sailing on the Anthem from Southampton to the Norwegian Fjords is still a go.  Will the UK be open to international travelers?  Will Norway be open?  Will the US scrap quarantine of returning US citizens by then?  We'd like to just cancel but we've already paid airfare thru Royal's Air2Sea program and there's a $225 per person cancellation fee.  I guess we just sit and wait.

2 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

So, we have no idea at this point if our Sept sailing on the Anthem from Southampton to the Norwegian Fjords is still a go.  Will the UK be open to international travelers?  Will Norway be open?  Will the US scrap quarantine of returning US citizens by then?  We'd like to just cancel but we've already paid airfare thru Royal's Air2Sea program and there's a $225 per person cancellation fee.  I guess we just sit and wait.

We're on the June Fjord one, which was a rebook of the cancelled Norway & Iceland one. At this point we are convinced it will be cancelled (March 19th announcement?) and have already booked b2b Arctic Circle & Iceland cruises in 2022 on Jewel. I know Anthem has a Fjord one, but the convenience of b2b and going all the way to Honningsvag was too appealing). Final payment is due Saturday and trying to decide whether to cancel or pay in full and get the assumed 125% FCC that we will turn around and apply to the b2b.

In our case, we had not purchased any airfare yet.

Following today’s cancellation e mail I have just  called RCI and done a lift and shift on our Anthem cruise to Norway from 21st May 2021 to 29th May 2022. The RCI employee said that port fees and taxes would be about £40pp more than current. He then came back and quoted a price more than £1000 more than our current booking. I pointed this out and that under L&S it should be the same price ( other than any changes to port fees and taxes - I actually think port fees and taxes should be less as the new cruise has one more day at sea ie 1 port less ). He then came back and said that RCI would honour the existing price other than approx an extra £40pp for port fees and taxes. He said I would get an invoice at the higher price and once the back office adjusted I would get a lower invoice in 7 to 10 days once the L&S price match was applied by back office. Bit disappointed that the new cruise has one less port of call but other than that the cabin is exactly the same cabin number as before.

• Like 1

UK has vaccinated 23million over 56 years olds and a variety of vulnerable groups

There are an estimated 13million under 16s, who are largely unaffected by the virus and no plans have been announced for their vaccination

By the beginning of April a third vaccine will be available, and will increase rates to 500,000 per day

The British government is being deliberately pessimistic, but by the end of May the UK will be completely vaccinated

There is a mid June date for a return to normal, and I would guess it will, very quickly, including vaccine passports which will allow British people almost anywhere

I am confident RCI will be cruising from the UK before the end of summer

2 hours ago, Redrobo said:

I was told this morning that cruises from the UK would initially be to UK ports only. Not sure if the Channel Islands would be included.

Guernsey have announced not accepting cruise ships for 2021 season 😞  

On 3/4/2021 at 11:55 AM, Pandamonia said:

There isnt any demand for it. Not in relation to the fact there will be a load of P&O ships and Princess ships doing the same thing and all the other cruise lines desperate to stop losing money at any cost. 

The UK cruise market isnt that big. They struggle to fill 2 RCCL ships out of southampton every year. Not to mention all the other lines and that is sailing somewhere warm!

One of the main reasons RCCL struggle out of southampton is simply down to the cost. It works out cheapee for us to fly to barcelona and cruise from there not sure why tbh. But the P&O ships so much cheaper from southampton. Granted not as much to do onboard. 

But ita the same cruising out of florida so cheap compared to out of Europe.

• Like 3

After today's announcement of cancelled sailings thru May, we've decided to bag the whole thing even though our cruise was from Southampton to the Norwegian Fjords in September and we only paid a deposit and a few dollars for onboard stuff.  Not worth wondering for the next several months if we're sailing or not.  If cruises start up in the Caribbean this summer or fall and there are no travel restrictions, we'll do that.  Too many fiery hoops to jump thru for Europe cruises.

11 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

Someone just tried to charge us 3 grand for a week in a wood cabin in devon. I am changing my stance on UK cruises not being popular. If thats the alternative then they will have no problem filling ships. 

Prices for UK holidays  are through the roof, though I got a lovely 3 bedroomed cottage in The Roseland Peninsula in Cornwall in the Summer for around £850. But we did book it a few weeks ago and it's outside of school holiday time. 

We might be tempted in a British Isles only cruise for September but we would only book last minute and only if the price is right (which it probably won't be). 

Edited by sgmn

4 hours ago, compman9 said:

UK has vaccinated 23million over 56 years olds and a variety of vulnerable groups

There are an estimated 13million under 16s, who are largely unaffected by the virus and no plans have been announced for their vaccination

By the beginning of April a third vaccine will be available, and will increase rates to 500,000 per day

The British government is being deliberately pessimistic, but by the end of May the UK will be completely vaccinated

There is a mid June date for a return to normal, and I would guess it will, very quickly, including vaccine passports which will allow British people almost anywhere

I am confident RCI will be cruising from the UK before the end of summer

Don't forget the majority of those 23 million are one dose only as yet. We've had our first dose but won't get our second until mid May. Unless theres a decrease in  the gap between the two jabs the last group won't get their second until  August at the earliest. 

1 minute ago, sgmn said:

Don't forget the majority of those 23 million are one dose only as yet. We've had our first dose but won't get our second until mid May. Unless theres a decrease in  the gap between the two jabs the last group won't get their second until  August at the earliest. 

Yeh but data is now showing 1 dose offers almost same protection as 2 doses. Efficacy isnt less at all at 12 weeks even after 1 dose only. J&J single dose vaccine is now coming too so in theory 1 dose is all thats needed and the second dose just locks in the immunity. 

Problem is that as we have witnessed logic is missing from most governments and companies. They would be stupid to demand 2 vaccines because that means the whole of the british summer could be missed by everyone under 50. Or 1 vaccine have the whole population over 18.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

Did you book refundable air?  The $235 cancellation fee does not apply until after final payment.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Did you book refundable air?  The $235 cancellation fee does not apply until after final payment.

Yes, it was a refundable fare (I would NEVER pay a non refundable fare for anything.  Too many things can go haywire when traveling).  Thanks for the information.  I couldn't find anything about the cancellation fee for the Air2Sea other than the amount.  So, as of today, we have officially cancelled our cruise to Norway from Southampton on the Anthem.  I don't want to deal with it anymore.  Especially after the email I got from Delta Airlines last weekend saying our return flight to the US had been moved from 12:30pm to 10:15 am.  That's no good.  We went on a cruise from Southampton 2 years ago and we barely made it to Heathrow for our noon flight, thanks to the stop and go traffic on the M3.  Now I don't have to worry about it.  We'll try this cruise again in 2023 maybe.