Jeepers! Do I want to lay down $1500 on 2023 cruise?

Petoonya

This isn't scientific by any means but wonder if I could take a straw poll to see if you would do it or not.

18 day exotic. The trick is that we are penny pinchers. We go with a Cat G and sometimes get upgraded, sometimes not. (I never count on it. I expect a G inside.)

Very few Gs as you know and they go quickly. Infact with my booking they're gone. It's not like I can wait awhile and see how things go. We aren't capable of waiting for a year or so and bump up to a higher category then. We just wouldn't be able to go.

I always get insurance and even if this cruise doesn't pan out I can transfer insurance once to another cruise. But this far away even laying out the $ for insurance is uncomfortable. I've never counted on my credit card for insurance or default, but mine does cover them. Relying on that concerns me too.

Am I dumb as a stump to even consider putting down $1500 for a cruise that far off? Over TWO years in the future.

15 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

This isn't scientific by any means but wonder if I could take a straw poll to see if you would do it or not.

18 day exotic. The trick is that we are penny pinchers. We go with a Cat G and sometimes get upgraded, sometimes not. (I never count on it. I expect a G inside.)

Very few Gs as you know and they go quickly. Infact with my booking they're gone. It's not like I can wait awhile and see how things go. We aren't capable of waiting for a year or so and bump up to a higher category then. We just wouldn't be able to go.

I always get insurance and even if this cruise doesn't pan out I can transfer insurance once to another cruise. But this far away even laying out the $ for insurance is uncomfortable. I've never counted on my credit card for insurance or default, but mine does cover them. Relying on that concerns me too.

Am I dumb as a stump to even consider putting down $1500 for a cruise that far off? Over TWO years in the future.

Well, there’s a ship full of people for ATW 2023 who have put down beaucoup bucks, so you would not be alone in giving money to O that far out.

Edited by 2552phxcrzr
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I assume the $1500 is the cruise deposit.  Annoying to have to do this early, but it is what it is, and we'd would hold our noses and put it down, if it's a cruise we really want the be on.  We did that for a Viking Expedition cruise scheduled for October 2022, two years in advance, and the ship building is just now entering it final stages.

I hope the $ for insurance doesn't refer to insuring the full cruise amount. With many companies, you only need to insure your deposit and any non-refundable payments you've made to get the policy with the pre-existing conditions waiver.  Then as each future non-refundable payment is made, whether it be incremental on on the final payment day, you can modify the coverage accordingly and keep the waiver, as long as the additional insurance was added within the 10 or 14 day grace period from the payment.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 2

@1985rz1

I've heard you say this before about only insuring the deposit for starters and get the pre-existing, but I'd forgotten! Thanks so much.

Yeah, $1500 is the deposit....you give me a little more courage with your Viking Expedition cruise in the works.

@2552phxcrzr

Yes.....it's a real gamble, and I haven't been to LV since I was 6 years old.

@Noxequifans

Thanks. Need the rah-rah!

Edited by Petoonya

We usually book the lowest category inside too! We have had no problems with inside! Our next cruise in Asia had a special, 4 category upgrade! We are in a c2, ocean view. Enjoy your cruise!

14 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I assume the $1500 is the cruise deposit.  Annoying to have to do this early, but it is what it is, and we'd would hold our noses and put it down, if it's a cruise we really want the be on.  We did that for a Viking Expedition cruise scheduled for October 2022, two years in advance, and the ship building is just now entering it final stages.

I hope the $ for insurance doesn't refer to insuring the full cruise amount. With many companies, you only need to insure your deposit and any non-refundable payments you've made to get the policy with the pre-existing conditions waiver.  Then as each future non-refundable payment is made, whether it be incremental on on the final payment day, you can modify the coverage accordingly and keep the waiver, as long as the additional insurance was added within the 10 or 14 day grace period from the payment.

I have used this method to purchase insure myself. Yours is a good post but as a general comment I add to be careful with insurance as policies vary by seller and location and so reading and understanding one's policy is very important. For example, I have seen where their has been only 72 hours allowed from any payment, whether refundable or non-refundable, to make the addition to a policy, etc.

• Thanks 1

Paid my deposit on an 18 day from Sydney to Tahiti today. It's for 2023 but I wanted a particular section of the ship and was willing to pay to reserve it. There will be pent up demand for the next few years and I wasn't willing to roll the dice on this itinerary.

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:
1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

No, I think it is reasonable thing to do as you described. It is now selling, you took the last of the category you want, and by "an exotic" I am guessing it is one that you really, really, really hoped would sail last year when there was even less known than still changing situation today. You've bought 3rd party insurance which I assume covers supplier default and the deposit is refundable so I think you are covered and so have a trip to look forward to. There are a lot of folks with FCCs they must use or lose so better to be in the position to book now and cancel later than the disappointment of not getting a cabin at all. Especially if time is not your friend waiting for another opportunity. Enjoy the anticipation.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cayman09 said:

Paid my deposit on an 18 day from Sydney to Tahiti today. It's for 2023 but I wanted a particular section of the ship and was willing to pay to reserve it. There will be pent up demand for the next few years and I wasn't willing to roll the dice on this itinerary.

I have friends looking at a similar itinerary on a different line. It is one of a few that interests them. They are travelers first and cruising is secondary so itin is important to them choosing to cruise,  but they are still sitting on the fence. I suspect they will miss out on a great cruise. Being younger than many on O they do have the luxury of a longer ramp to cruising so waiting is an option to them. Supplier default on the deposit is less of a concern.

if I were you I would not  do it

Your stress & anxiety over your cancelled cruise  were too much for you  so imagine  what  another year plus of worry  would do to you 😲

JMO

remember you asked 😷

• Haha 1

Thanks for all the great replies.

I got my answer to my question in the mail today. I'm giddy!

A check for the profit of sale of a limited partnership I bought when I graduated from college over 40 years ago.  🎉 A wise relative told me I would be pleased in 50 years when I was an old lady. He was right! I feel secure enough to keep a happy slush fund for indulgences.

This is SO weird! A little nudge from the heavens I guess! Thanks for all the help. Yippee!!!!!!!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I have three cruises O booked through next Fall. Decided not to let O hold anymore of our money right now. If they were currently sailing, might have decided differently.

The one cruise we wanted most was the 35 day Australia circumnavigation. Decided to wait until December 23. Don’t really want to do 35 days on a R ship, and hoping the new Allura Class ship does that region in late 23. If not, I guess the Regatta it will be, but waiting for possible options.

• Like 1

I will add to my above posts, that friends went in today and double booked  all their late 2021 and early ( pre May) 2022 cruises for 2023. If the early cruises go, under conditions they’re happy with, they cancel the 2023 cruises. If not, they’re set for those cruises in the future. We opted not to do that. Eternal optimist.

I wonder what percentage of today’s bookings were double bookings?

Edited by pinotlover

4 hours ago, Petoonya said:

May I respectfully ask what credit card you have that covers default?

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks for all the great replies.

I got my answer to my question in the mail today. I'm giddy!

A check for the profit of sale of a limited partnership I bought when I graduated from college over 40 years ago.  🎉 A wise relative told me I would be pleased in 50 years when I was an old lady. He was right! I feel secure enough to keep a happy slush fund for indulgences.

This is SO weird! A little nudge from the heavens I guess! Thanks for all the help. Yippee!!!!!!!

Congrats on the slush fund - God works in mysterious ways! We've done early deposits when we want a particular cabin, so I agree you should go for it. Great reminders about travel insurance, especially since there's no predicting impact of known & unknown health issues 2 years from now. 

I realize many of us have gotten "planning fatigue" from the rolling cancellations this last year, but I've discovered my mood is much better if I have travel to look forward to. Now that we're fully vaccinated I've scheduled several US flights this year & continue to plan our 4/22 Papeete/LA cruise.

47 minutes ago, LinnieRed said:

May I respectfully ask what credit card you have that covers default?

I don't know about CC companies but I've learned here I believe that the Dept. of Transportation protects you in that event.

@LinnieRed

Right you are Linnie Red. Kronked myself in the head after writing that. No CC including mine offers default coverage.

Thanks to all for your kind encouragement. Dh's brain is failing him but he's all for the 2023 cruise. We have two more cruises booked for late this year and 2022, and cruises are the one thing dh remembers VERY WELL. I'm going to have a glass of champagne tonight to celebrate and plop that card down tomorrow. Thanks again!

@Vertygo

Well, son of a gun. We've were booked on PPT-LA cruise 2020 and 2021! And the "exotic" 2023 is just that. Did it in 2019 and was fabulous we even were upgraded to an aft cabin. Have 2 Windstar 18 day cruises to look forward to and keeping fingers crossed. Maybe get to see you sometime!

Edited by Petoonya

Petoonya, I certainly hope we get to meet in person. We appear to have many things in common - I'm a retired PA, my husband also has significant memory issues AND we have an aft cabin on that Polynesian cruise. Can't wait!

You can request a booking with a reduced deposit.  Many cruise lines are accepting very low deposits and extended final payments. Since nothing is sailing,  be proactive.  Book on your terms.  Cruise lines want bookings. Most people want to take a cruise that they booked.  If they say no, they don’t have that booking.  Chances are the cruise line will not get another chance to get those people to book.  I used fcc for deposit.  Wondering when my next booked cruise will get canceled.  Eventually cruises will resume. Hope it happens before my fcc becomes worthless.  Getting tired of the fcc booking and rebooking loop.  

@Redtravel

Thanks so much. I'll give it a shot and see what my TA says. Hate to hear that you are accumulating mucho FCC. So frustrating, I'm one of the lucky ones that had final payment returned and deposit canceled. Yeah I've had four canceled, one chartered on various cruise lines. Certainly not the cruise lines' fault but becomes almost customary after awhile.

We'll be out there one of these days!

Ah, Petoonya, you and I are so very different. It probably was last spring or summer that we had a similar discussion regarding your love of, and hopeful return to, French Polynesia with your spouse. 

I remain in the category of those that do not want the stress of planning and worrying about when cruises will resume and what the cruising experience will be like or how extremely different it will be when it indeed resumes. (I sometimes wonder if my negative experience on a Noro-shortened Caribbean cruise due to the horrendous mismanagement by those in charge of those mere four days in my life compared to dozens of wonderful cruise days on Oceania has affected my views on this issue.)

Your optimism is refreshing, and I continue to wish you all the best. Happy and smooth sailing!