The Daily for Thursday Mar 04, 2021

richwmn

Thank you Rich. Our Daily is the 1st thing I come to in the morning even before my news feed. 

Roy thank you for the prayers and cheers list. I read your brothers obituary with interest as I prayed for you two for so many months. He was a handsome man.

I hug my GI all day long. 20 years Army, 1st Cav, accomplished helicopter pilot. I'm proud of my GI!

We made plans 5 years ago to cruise Japan, but changed to 6 weeks in south of France, the next year my sis talked us into a month in England. Health issues with my sweet husband concerns me now. I'm still keeping it on my wish list, perhaps a Holy Experiment item..

Allen had an echocardiogram and I had a blood draw this morning,  the guys are working on the flagstone for the patio, our nursery has a ton of plants arriving today and soon as I finish my chores I'm headed down there.

Prayers and cheers!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

image.jpeg.3eacede037c222d5ed0320c36fc94e7e.jpeg

🌺🌺

Dear Roy!!

What a beautiful obituary and tribute to your brother!! WOW what accomplishments  and a life of service to our country! Such a true Patriot! 
I will always remember his smile and how much the two of you enjoyed your Alaska trip together! 
Thank you so much for sharing!

Denise😊

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Takamatsu seems like a very worthwhile port call with its castle and beautiful Japanese garden as seen in google search. The photos posted by dailyites are always better than what can be seen on the internet. The photos posted today of Japan were interesting. The Shinkansen was an amazing experience for me. It was nice to be reminded. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thank you Rich. Our Daily is the 1st thing I come to in the morning even before my news feed. 

Roy thank you for the prayers and cheers list. I read your brothers obituary with interest as I prayed for you two for so many months. He was a handsome man.

I hug my GI all day long. 20 years Army, 1st Cav, accomplished helicopter pilot. I'm proud of my GI!

We made plans 5 years ago to cruise Japan, but changed to 6 weeks in south of France, the next year my sis talked us into a month in England. Health issues with my sweet husband concerns me now. I'm still keeping it on my wish list, perhaps a Holy Experiment item..

Allen had an echocardiogram and I had a blood draw this morning,  the guys are working on the flagstone for the patio, our nursery has a ton of plants arriving today and soon as I finish my chores I'm headed down there.

Prayers and cheers!

🌺Good morning Joy!!

You are always on my prayer list and Know Allen is in the best of hands always! ❤️You! Going out now to take Paisley for a walk.

Will check back later

Denise😊

• Like 9

Well, as "they" predicted we are getting snow.... but is light and not sticking. I think the temp is hovering around 32. Yesterday our high was nearly 60. Typical Colorado Spring.

Roy, I read your brother's obituary with interest. He sounds like a very interesting man. I share his love of Antarctica.

Otherwise nothing really new here. My scottie, Hunter, goes for a dental cleaning tomorrow. He is not going to be happy with the no breakfast routine.  He also has a growth on his tail that needs to removed at the same time. All in all, he will not consider it a good day and neither will I when I see the vet bill.

I have only been to Japan twice and both were very short stops. I would like to go back. Our college had many Japanese exchange students and I really enjoyed them. Someday.......

Susan

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! Now to think of a Holy Experiment - I agree with Kazu, that wishing for spring would be welcome! A version of sausage stroganoff is a good plan for today!
I like the idea of serving today’s drink in a hollow chocolate bunny. You’d have to drink fairly quickly before the heat of your hand caused the chocolate vessel to collapse. This would lead to much hilarity at the time, but a terrible mess to deal with the next morning.

@cunnorlI’m so glad to hear you’ve tested negative, and very sorry to hear about the 17 others including your DS. What you’ve said speaks volumes about the importance and effectiveness of the vaccine.

Ive never been to today’s port, but visited two others in Japan on the Westerdam. I particularly enjoyed Hakodate, and bought a lovely tunnel kiln fired saki jug at a rummage sale for the equivalent of $5 US. While I love the jug, the memory of browsing the tables and buying an item that caught my heart, in yen, from someone who spoke no English while I spoke no Japanese was the real prize. ( the seller and I were both very proud of ourselves at the success of our transaction)

A year ago today, the Amsterdam took us Waitangi, Bay of Islands, on the North Island of New Zealand. I am very concerned about the earthquake reports I am just starting to hear. I am praying everyone is OK. 

417EC636-5370-471C-B094-3B5A5493291C.thumb.jpeg.dee1acc643b40ad0473f68fc9aaa8d40.jpeg

Fascinating trees on the ridges of the islands.

002D91B8-259E-4806-8CA8-A2F283F36CB6.thumb.jpeg.d9481465f0ac5719178319b84567595c.jpeg

A Maori canoe that has just landed and I being tended to.

481F10CE-D060-49D1-892F-BC42B940877F.thumb.jpeg.20aecc53d9b47de92195ea9f05f56637.jpeg

Art on the walkway along the passage to the market from the Main Street.

2EE709A2-EB0B-4FFD-9272-45F8A7176C5F.thumb.jpeg.8376a14ed69fd99441b4984c1e3140eb.jpeg

The Paihia Market, for local artisans.

97EE3586-F733-489B-BC73-7293011A3C2B.jpeg.6092de6dbe889a1c599d4a498fdf5818.jpeg

This is where I was introduced to Eocoprinting, the art that kept me sane during the summer to come. The beautiful fern printed silk poncho on the far right came home with me.

0F9599DA-7502-43E4-88C9-1FF7AA4E7279.thumb.jpeg.0998d436049e530a21b9b6aeaf531235.jpeg

A couple were selling one hour tours outside the information center. The husband drove tourists in their van, and the wife sold tickets and gave out peaches from their own tree. The peaches were delicious. I ate 3 while waiting for the tour!

936A24DA-B12F-4727-86E4-3A651F4FD6ED.thumb.jpeg.dd1486f0a860432c4c433d7ad2829cd4.jpeg

Naomi flags down her husband in the van, as he brings one group back and loads our group up!

85D30924-EB38-4A97-AEF4-E770D42D6C9E.thumb.jpeg.5a27eb442e66107ae99a62c707ef3b12.jpeg

The old stone church, used by both Anglicans and Catholics for their services.

6F9D4D14-33D6-459C-9700-F5620499DE99.thumb.jpeg.78ca5fe6690009242ced3ac716a62e8e.jpeg

The waterfalls, normally a raging horseshoe of water, now just a trickle due to drought.

AD8A1808-E9DB-45C3-96BD-62CFAE9AB66C.thumb.jpeg.66c540f8b20ecbad42d9c6bdfaa8af77.jpeg

Prehistoric giant ferns on the walk up to the Mt. Bledisloe lookout.

71285123-7849-4A3A-A1EF-E571285EE184.thumb.jpeg.fcc5aa193f6e065e8a3998cd01bbf90a.jpeg

A stop on the way back, with a view of the Amsterdam in the distance. The seagull has some strict rules here, and kept a sharp eye on us while we were in his park.

498F9CAB-8A59-4EFE-8BE0-1A63F81A1C30.thumb.jpeg.87487c94af2831193b3268c3d6d8130d.jpeg

The day ends, and we head for the tender.

72A58997-F09D-4259-9C9B-E8CD2E8712B7.thumb.jpeg.6bad25c8006d55f9e4929c7932d5ad4e.jpeg

A parasail, with the treaty grounds behind him, refuses to yield to the oncoming downpour. I wonder how that worked out for him? Off we sail for Australia!

And finally, Happy Thursday from our favourite elevators!

20F40C98-75A5-4A93-85DF-97F8FDDA3BA6.thumb.jpeg.b4a0fc1064d6ae6578e48585819d0ab0.jpeg

• Like 22

Good morning and thanks all!  That Riesling sounds really interesting!  
We circumnavigated Japan in 2019 and it was one of our most favourite cruises!  We didn’t go to Takamatsu,  but actually just booked a cruise two days ago for 2023 that will visit there!   I highly recommend Japan,  it was absolutely delightful!  And spring is a wonderful time to visit! 

From this port, it looks like you could easily visit one of the top gardens in Japan at Okayama  where all these photos were taken.  We really enjoyed it!

6716BB20-87EF-4182-A624-B7B3208B326A.jpeg

8F55EDC7-A85E-41BF-B203-EF3E8F86EFD9.jpeg

1B87BF60-DE45-41EF-8571-A02BACC0305D.jpeg

7101D454-E8AF-41D1-9AF0-629A0E896503.jpeg

760DEB47-9070-4A61-AF07-78439DC2C6BF.jpeg

319C6BA9-2BA7-4274-ACC9-61C8C98CAAFB.jpeg

0155596C-99D9-49F1-987C-0D7E032B57FA.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good day to you all.  It is a beautiful morning here in the Pacific Northwest - might hit 60 by this afternoon.  I am not sure if I have been to Takamatsu.  My photos are not as well organized as they were before my hard drive died.  However, we are scheduled to visit Takamatsu on 17 March, 2022 on the Noordam.  That is one of fourteen different Japanese ports we will visit on our 42 day cruise from 14 February to 28 March.  Here are the ports; some are repeated as this is a B2B2B. Yokohama, Osaka, Naha, Ishigaki, Nagasaki, Fukuoka, Himaji, Shimizu, Takamatsu, Kobe, Kochi, Tsuruga, Sakaiminato, Kagashima.

Of course, this is all dependent on how the pandemic plays out.  I heard yesterday that while the Olympics will start as scheduled this July, there will be no foreign visitors allowed.  That is not a good sign.

Ray

• Like 16

Thanks to all who have already posted.  So much information that I hope I reply correctly.  This is just such a special place for camaraderie, as well as learning about new places, foods, wine/drinks, and general great information

@rafinmd, thanks for posting the obituary for your brother.  He was a very accomplished man.  I also was interested about a "new" National Cemetery in Brevard County.  That certainly must have been established since we left Florida in 2000.

For our lovely Canadian friends who are concerned about the single dose of vaccine, and having to wait for second if you get one of the two-dose variety, I got an email today (in connection with my volunteer Red Cross work) that refers to an article in the New York Times.  I don't have the exact link, but perhaps you can find it.  It explains why the J&J is only one dose, and also states that in Europe there is a longer time between shots for the two-dose vaccines.  I would copy and paste it, but don't think that would be wise, considering the originator of my email.

My one trip to Japan was the ill-fated cruise aboard the Volendam in 2011.  The whole itinerary was changed after the earthquake/tsunami.  We only flew to Osaka and caught the ship in Kobe, and then no other stops in Japan.  HAL put together an altered itinerary that included Busan, South Korea, and two stops in Eastern Russia.  Interesting (exceedingly bad storm) return to Alaska via the Bering Sea!  

@durangoscots, we only had rain overnight, and no snow till next week.  Which means the forecast will change, and we will be lucky to even get a little more rain!  Another bright and sunny day and we are only getting into the 50's today!

Have a great day, everyone!

• Like 18

Good morning.  An interesting collection of days.  I’ll hug my GI, who was in the Army for two years.  The idea of praying for healing and understanding in the different countries is an excellent one.  The quote does make you think.  

We’ll pass on the meal suggestion since it will be pad Thai tonight.  I have some veggies that need to be used.

@cunnorl  Glad you tested negative, but so sorry your DS was positive along with all the others.  I still see red when I think about what the actions of a very selfish, inconsiderate person did to a family who were under enough stress already.

@rafinmd Roy, that you for posting Roger’s obit.  He lead a very interesting life.

While  we have been to Japan several times, we have not been to Takamatsu.  I think we may have sailed by there on the Volendam in 2002.

Lenda

• Like 16

We actually have been to Takamatsu - in 1977. We were on a Japan Airlines land tour called “Affordable Japan”.  It fit our budget at the time. One of the highlights of the tour was an inland sea cruise to Takamatsu aboard an actual small ship - it was a full day event, we were assigned cabins for the day.

Ours was a small room with four bunks (upper and lower) two on each wall and a window. It may or may not have had a private bathroom ... I honestly don’t remember specifically except that the ship did have “western facilities”.  The ferry boat that brought us back to the mainland a couple days later was fast, a bit rougher in the water, and to my great distress had only the typical Japanese toilets (basically something that looks like a urinal mounted on the floor) which in the moving seas was quite the challenge.  Very different from today's Japan which seems to provide, almost exclusively, the fancy, mechanized Toyo style toilets. 

This cruise was billed as one of the tour's highlights - only to be totally crushed by the inland sea totally socked in by thick white fog. So ... we spent several hours with basically nothing to do and nothing to see as we cruised to Takamatsu. 

We felt that the island, however, was one of our trip highlights. We were out of the crowded cities (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka) and spent time on the bus driving through green fields where the predominant crop was green tea. We wandered small towns.

I still remember the incredibly tasteful experience of their local tea.  The first time we had experienced what I now know to be a toasted rice green tea or more commonly called matcha green tea.  It was nearly forty years before we encountered that taste again. 

This side trip on our tour encouraged us to get off the beaten path when traveling and explore smaller, more local venues. A good lesson. 

I looked for photos (they were actually color slides). DH digitalized the trip but I do think he edited the photos before he did so.  I was sure we had a couple of our cabin on the inland sea trip. Inexplicably, however, he did save a shot of the toilet on the ferry. Don’t worry I am not sharing. 

Since the photos were not labeled I cannot pick out which ones were from Takamatsu.  Sorry. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺Good morning Joy!!

You are always on my prayer list and Know Allen is in the best of hands always! ❤️You! Going out now to take Paisley for a walk.

Will check back later

Denise😊

💖🐕  I know you pray for us sweet sister, as we do for you, Shawn, David and precious Paisley. Enjoy your walk! Love you!!

• Like 6

So, we bit the bullet and booked a cruise!  We're going on the Nieuw Statendam from Boston to Canada, Iceland and Greenland, back to Boston.  The cruise leaves on August 3, 2022....definitely hoping things are somewhat back to "normal" by then!

We didn't plan to cruise in 2020, we were going to do a driving trip of Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion Canyons, which obviously got cancelled by Covid. Plus I was going through some serious health issues which would have postponed it anyway. 

Obviously things are better because we're ready to go back to sea in 17 months!!!

Laura

• Like 18

1 hour ago, cruzn single said:

Thanks to all who have already posted.  So much information that I hope I reply correctly.  This is just such a special place for camaraderie, as well as learning about new places, foods, wine/drinks, and general great information

@rafinmd, thanks for posting the obituary for your brother.  He was a very accomplished man.  I also was interested about a "new" National Cemetery in Brevard County.  That certainly must have been established since we left Florida in 2000.

For our lovely Canadian friends who are concerned about the single dose of vaccine, and having to wait for second if you get one of the two-dose variety, I got an email today (in connection with my volunteer Red Cross work) that refers to an article in the New York Times.  I don't have the exact link, but perhaps you can find it.  It explains why the J&J is only one dose, and also states that in Europe there is a longer time between shots for the two-dose vaccines.  I would copy and paste it, but don't think that would be wise, considering the originator of my email.

My one trip to Japan was the ill-fated cruise aboard the Volendam in 2011.  The whole itinerary was changed after the earthquake/tsunami.  We only flew to Osaka and caught the ship in Kobe, and then no other stops in Japan.  HAL put together an altered itinerary that included Busan, South Korea, and two stops in Eastern Russia.  Interesting (exceedingly bad storm) return to Alaska via the Bering Sea!  

@durangoscots, we only had rain overnight, and no snow till next week.  Which means the forecast will change, and we will be lucky to even get a little more rain!  Another bright and sunny day and we are only getting into the 50's today!

Have a great day, everyone!

Thanks  for the encouraging words re vaccines!  I am hoping that is the case as our province also just announced this wait!  

yikes re the Volendam, you need a do-over!   

• Like 9

1 hour ago, arzz said:

We actually have been to Takamatsu - in 1977. We were on a Japan Airlines land tour called “Affordable Japan”.  It fit our budget at the time. One of the highlights of the tour was an inland sea cruise to Takamatsu aboard an actual small ship - it was a full day event, we were assigned cabins for the day.

Ours was a small room with four bunks (upper and lower) two on each wall and a window. It may or may not have had a private bathroom ... I honestly don’t remember specifically except that the ship did have “western facilities”.  The ferry boat that brought us back to the mainland a couple days later was fast, a bit rougher in the water, and to my great distress had only the typical Japanese toilets (basically something that looks like a urinal mounted on the floor) which in the moving seas was quite the challenge.  Very different from today's Japan which seems to provide, almost exclusively, the fancy, mechanized Toyo style toilets. 

This cruise was billed as one of the tour's highlights - only to be totally crushed by the inland sea totally socked in by thick white fog. So ... we spent several hours with basically nothing to do and nothing to see as we cruised to Takamatsu. 

We felt that the island, however, was one of our trip highlights. We were out of the crowded cities (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka) and spent time on the bus driving through green fields where the predominant crop was green tea. We wandered small towns.

I still remember the incredibly tasteful experience of their local tea.  The first time we had experienced what I now know to be a toasted rice green tea or more commonly called matcha green tea.  It was nearly forty years before we encountered that taste again. 

This side trip on our tour encouraged us to get off the beaten path when traveling and explore smaller, more local venues. A good lesson. 

I looked for photos (they were actually color slides). DH digitalized the trip but I do think he edited the photos before he did so.  I was sure we had a couple of our cabin on the inland sea trip. Inexplicably, however, he did save a shot of the toilet on the ferry. Don’t worry I am not sharing. 

Since the photos were not labeled I cannot pick out which ones were from Takamatsu.  Sorry. 

I am giggling,  they still have some of the old style!   Unfortunately our first night on arrival in Hiroshima airport that’s what I faced, jet lagged.   Yikes!  I learned immediately after that some stalls had Western toilets!  After that I fell I love with those heated seats and when we renovate our bathroom,  it will be like that!  

• Like 11

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

A life well- lived! Thank you for sharing this, Roy.

An update on my DH -- he moved to the rehab hospital on Tuesday & we had our first family update with his doctor today. The tentative date for his discharge is March 23. He's not happy about it taking so long, but I reminded him that the surgery was fairly complex so he might need extra time to heal. He said he'll work hard so he can get out sooner!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Afternoon and thanks for the update.

@erewhon  please let us know if you are OK Just received notice of a 3rd quake.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

@erewhonposted yesterday that they would be away for a few days and might not see the Daily. We all hope he is OK.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, mamaofami said:

If my nose biopsy comes back as a basal cell and I need mohs surgery, it’s quite a procedure here. One surgeon wants a consult first in case I need a plastic surgeon to close it, and no one will make an appointment until the results come back next week. A surgeon DH used in Philly who was excellent is book far out in April and it will be for May by the time I can get an appointment. Ditto for the one who wants a consult here. I guess mohs surgery is very common and there aren’t that many doctors doing it.

I worked for 10 years for a plastic surgeon who repaired/closed Mohs repair, she only does facial repair and eyes are her specialty. It wasn’t unusual for patients to wait a month or two for surgery, and yes, the biopsy report has to be back first.  It was developed by Dr Mohs in 1938 and is a microscopic dissection of tissue that is tested for cancer, so a patient has to wait between dissections to see if more needs to be done. Once the all clear is given the wound is dressed and the plastic surgeon does the repair, usually within 48 hours. 

Sounds like you are in good hands!

• Like 16

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

I'm late today. I got a high water bill and went searching for issues. I found my under-counter water filter was leaking and 2 toilets need new flush valves.

Interesting Days. I heard about Marching Day because it's March 4th (Forth). Holy Experiment is new to me. The meal sounds good. I like German Rieslings.

I've never been to Japan. My usual travel companion was there for work years ago.

@doobiebCongrats on the vaccinations

@rafinmd Thanks for sharing the obit. Your brother was quite the accomplished man and patriot.

@cunnorl Good news that you are negative; sad to hear DS is positive. 17 positive! Awful! But good that the vaccine seems to have protected those who got it.

@mamaofami I'm glad your DH is getting tests. I was thinking TIA/mini-stroke when you mentioned his symptoms.

@bennybear Great pictures

@NextOne I'm sure your DH is anxious to get home, but best to get good healing and rehab first.

@erewhonPraying for NZ

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Be safe, and wear  your mask.

• Like 13