Suites on NCL Dawn

drlucy12

Hello everyone,

I have a cruise scheduled on the Dawn in June 22 to the Baltics.  It is a port intensive cruise.  Right now, we are in a balcony cabin.  This will be my second Norwegian cruise.  In the past, I have sailed with Celebrity but I do not like their new pricing strategy.

I know the Dawn does not have the Haven.  Is a suite worth the extra cost on the Dawn without the Haven amenities?

Thanks

48 minutes ago, knitlady037 said:

Get an SJ family suite

A suite is definitely worth it, however, on the Dawn, I'd try to snag an SD which is a family suite with a balcony.  Yes, it's a little more expensive, but a balcony would be a must for me.  So, you'd get the great space of the SJ with added balcony space too.  

Sorry now changed to SB not SD. 

Enjoy your cruise. 

Edited by All-ready2cruise
  • Like 1

We sailed on Dawn in 2016 and had a Forward Facing Penthouse with Large Balcony (SF).  The balcony had two full lounge chairs on it and was HUGE. 

We enjoyed having expedited embarkation/ disembarkation as well as very attentive butler service, bottled waters, champagne, chocolates, etc.  The room had a nice coffee/expresso machine and was certainly spacious and had a large bathroom.

At each port, the butler would take us down a private elevator to get us right out and ahead of the line for leaving the ship for the day.  There was a private cocktail hour daily for suite holders, and best of all, a private suite-holders dining room for daily breakfast and lunch at sea.  We were able to invite our traveling companions who had a balcony room to join us for breakfast and lunch meals in the private dining room.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, moto_italia said:

We sailed on Dawn in 2016 and had a Forward Facing Penthouse with Large Balcony (SF).  The balcony had two full lounge chairs on it and was HUGE. 

We enjoyed having expedited embarkation/ disembarkation as well as very attentive butler service, bottled waters, champagne, chocolates, etc.  The room had a nice coffee/expresso machine and was certainly spacious and had a large bathroom.

At each port, the butler would take us down a private elevator to get us right out and ahead of the line for leaving the ship for the day.  There was a private cocktail hour daily for suite holders, and best of all, a private suite-holders dining room for daily breakfast and lunch at sea.  We were able to invite our traveling companions who had a balcony room to join us for breakfast and lunch meals in the private dining room.  

Things have changed since 2016. They are very strict with brining non suite passengers into B&L in Cagney's. I have been on many Dawn repos and as of 2017 they did not let non suite passengers in. 

I agree, the SD are a nice option, but I never missed the balcony. It has no sun protection and the upper deck can look straight down on you from above. Had friends in an SD and they never used the balcony much, especially when we were sailing. The wind is bad. All the other suite amenities are sooooo worth it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, knitlady037 said:

They are very strict with brining non suite passengers into B&L in Cagney's

They're brining them? Well, things must be rough if the passengers are now on the menu, LOL.😆

(I know it's a typo, it just tickled my funnybone)

• Haha 1

About the non-suite guests and the Breakfast & Lunch at Cagney's (Moderno) -

TRUE they are NOT eligible - but a suite guest MAY ASK the Concierge for an exception.

Unless there is a capacity restriction (like a SEA day and the place is crowded) it is usually granted.

More on a limited - maybe one time basis.

In the Garden Suite or a DOS/OS the Concierge is apt to allow it for the cruise duration.

Often the Host of the Meet & Greet (Mingle) is given access as a perk.

On the DAWN STAR and JEWEL the Breakfasts and Lunch are in Moderno next to the

Mohito Bar with the overflow going to Cagney's (lots of room).

On the SUN B & L is on deck 5 at La Cucina although it may now be on deck 12 -

I think I heard/read something about it being moved ? Readers ?

Never seen nightly hour long cocktail party.  One night, yes, but usually on ships with Haven.

In room unlimited bottled water and soda for owner suites and higher and one bottle of champagne which NCL will try to cheap out on.  For those suites you also get three booze.  Best value, as mentioned, are suites on 12.

For Baltics the priority disembarkation is nice.  Many long days and early mornings.  Can order in room breakfast is superb.

20 hours ago, moto_italia said:

So  you break the rules..why don’t you go and eat with your friends in the main dining room if it’s so important to you..

How is the condition of Dawn overall?  When was it last refurbished?

We were in a SD on Star (at least I think it was Star....it was several years ago and the SD suites were new).  We're in the minority, I guess, but we missed having a balcony.  I was sick one day (not Noro, but I felt terrible), and I really missed being able to get some fresh air easily.

44 minutes ago, orchestrapal said:

So  you break the rules..why don’t you go and eat with your friends in the main dining room if it’s so important to you..

And happy Friday to you @orchestrapal.  Since you asked:  Our "friends" were our daughter and her traveling companion, for whom we booked a balcony cabin.  Not knowing the suites' normal practices, we asked if they could join us for breakfast in the suites' private dining room, and we were told a resounding yes.  Had we been told that there was a rule against it or that it was not allowed in any way, they would certainly have taken those meals elsewhere, and we may have joined them as well.

Now, if it's OK with you, I'll return to listening to Rachmaninoff's The Isle of the Dead, Op 29, Leonard Slatkin conducting the Detroit Symphony.  One can't help but ponder whether Bocklin, in his painting 'Isle of the Dead', on which Rachmaninoff's composition was inspired, painted the man in the boat as some poor soul banished to the island for posing snarky inquiries based on incorrect assumptions.  Be well, pal. 

• 8 months later...
On 3/4/2021 at 8:26 AM, drlucy12 said:

Hello everyone,

I have a cruise scheduled on the Dawn in June 22 to the Baltics.  It is a port intensive cruise.  Right now, we are in a balcony cabin.  This will be my second Norwegian cruise.  In the past, I have sailed with Celebrity but I do not like their new pricing strategy.

I know the Dawn does not have the Haven.  Is a suite worth the extra cost on the Dawn without the Haven amenities?

Thanks

I'm currently looking at this exact cruise. Port intensive, yes...but like that it's unique from the standard Baltic itinerary. 

I will probably put a family suite with balcony on hold. It's only me and my elder mother, but we love the extra room and she may not get off at every port.

Edited by tlc1972
Misspelling

On 3/4/2021 at 11:26 AM, drlucy12 said:

Is a suite worth the extra cost on the Dawn without the Haven amenities?

Only you can answer this for yourself.  Look at the difference in cost for you cruise and see what all you get for that cost.  Decide if the benefits are worth the cost to you.

True the Dawn is an old ship but I would not discount it because of its age.  I sailed on the Dawn in Feb just before cruising closed down for covid.  We had a family suite with large balcony and it was a great large mid-ship room which came with butler and concierge (Ruel) who was absolutely terrific.  Breakfast and lunch were served in Moderno.  For dinner you're on your own although Ruel visited the main dining room each night to make sure we had a table by the window, and our meal was to our satisfaction.  Because it's a smaller ship, we were able to meet and mingle with a lot of wonderful wonderful people. 

Because the Dawn doesn't have a private pool or hot tub, I signed hubby and I up for the spa which does have an indoor pool, hot tub and heated lounges. I found this to be a nice substitute for lacking a true Haven.

Thanks everyone for the input.  We also booked a suite on the Dawn for the Baltic in 2022.  

We think the suite is worth it as the cruise we chose is port intensive with 0 sea days.  Many perks. It is easy to get your breakfast at Modenos or in your cabin  before leaving the ship for your day.. We have enjoyed the priority disembarkation before while on a cruise in the Mediterranean.  It did make a difference with regard to arriving at popular sites early.  We just hope the cruise makes it to Russia.  

The Getaway is also sailing similar cruises in the summer of 2022.  Even though this thread is from March of this year,  I am happy to see it.