Local Cruises

Ataraxia

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!

Like Lindy I thought I'd be on that phone trying to book as soon as the new cruises are released but now........I really don't know.  Too many What Ifs at the moment. I'm nearer to not booking than previously. God this is a boring post - don't bother reading it unless you can't sleep. J.x

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, joeecco said:

I’d join a ship tomorrow. I miss having any sort of social life and I certainly miss the hustle and bustle of a ship. Vaccinated or not, sign me up! 

If the price is right. Us also.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, joeecco said:

I’d join a ship tomorrow. I miss having any sort of social life and I certainly miss the hustle and bustle of a ship. Vaccinated or not, sign me up! 

will there be hustle and bustle on these 'scenic' cruises?  The ships are unlikely to sail at full capacity, so it's likely the atmosphere will be different to what we are used to

9 minutes ago, joeecco said:

I'm just not sure if there will be the same hustle and bustle when there will be social distancing, no sharing tables in the bar or MDR etc. I was tempted at first, but I'm concerned that the whole experience might be a little sterile.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, joeecco said:

Hi that was me a couple of days ago don’t know if it’s because we’re much older than you and have underlying health problems it’s just making me feel uncertain, cruises were the only way we were going to holiday because they gave us everything we could possibly want and just loved everything I really hope that something happens to change my mindset 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, joeecco said:

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

If the price is right. Us also.

Well looking on the positive side we could all meet up on one of these cruises to nowhere? I'm so lucky that I've had both my jabs so, from a very selfish point of view, I'm fine. My problem is I'm taking my two granddaughters and the fear of being confined should the worst happen is worrying. I love them to bits but prison seems more appealing!

Another place I visit a couple of times a year is Southwold in Suffolk. It's just lovely there -  a bit quirky, still unspoilt, but loads to do. The agency I always book with has no vacancies, in any cottage, for the whole of the school Summer holidays - so that's out too.

Right, decision made: I'll wait for the announcements next week and see what the prices and protocols look like. Sorted! Jane.x

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

will there be hustle and bustle on these 'scenic' cruises?  The ships are unlikely to sail at full capacity, so it's likely the atmosphere will be different to what we are used to

Not sure why you see the need to try and dampen my high spirits. A limited capacity ship is more hustle and bustle than sitting at home, thanks! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Well looking on the positive side we could all meet up on one of these cruises to nowhere? I'm so lucky that I've had both my jabs so, from a very selfish point of view, I'm fine. My problem is I'm taking my two granddaughters and the fear of being confined should the worst happen is worrying. I love them to bits but prison seems more appealing!

Another place I visit a couple of times a year is Southwold in Suffolk. It's just lovely there -  a bit quirky, still unspoilt, but loads to do. The agency I always book with has no vacancies, in any cottage, for the whole of the school Summer holidays - so that's out too.

Right, decision made: I'll wait for the announcements next week and see what the prices and protocols look like. Sorted! Jane.x

I love Southwold too. Fabulously quirky pier! I've been to Warner Gunton Hall a few times and always nip down to Southwold when I am there.

6 minutes ago, Beckett said:

All a bit wait and see at the moment. Another couple of months before our second jab. We have 2 weeks SC booked in May and June and 2 weeks to the med in September. Waiting to rebook Canada and Alaska for next June. I think wait and see for anything else is the best plan. All those weekends to fill in, but Warner will have to stop playing silly beggars with their prices if they Want our money any time soon.

6 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I love Southwold too. Fabulously quirky pier! I've been to Warner Gunton Hall a few times and always nip down to Southwold when I am there.

That one can go on the list. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Britboys said:

That pier is just great isn't it - especially if you get soaked by the spitting clock when it strikes on the hour! Is the Warner's at Gunton Hall just outside Lowestoft or have I got the wrong one? J.x

21 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I’d love that! We’re doing our upmost to surround ourself with positive people after all this! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Beckett said:

That pier is just great isn't it - especially if you get soaked by the spitting clock when it strikes on the hour! Is the Warner's at Gunton Hall just outside Lowestoft or have I got the wrong one? J.x

Yes, that's the one. Just inland from Corton. They have a resort at Corton too but I prefer Gunton.

Sign me up to being a guinea pig as the thought of drinking and eating in my favorite bars and restaurants and just relaxing on a ship again is a great thought. Even if they don't stop anywhere i would be prepared to get onboard. I can't see them overpricing the cruises as like many we all interested to see what price they set the experience at. Remembering it a very different experience to what we are all used to. They'll be open to all sorts of negative feedback if they go too high and the experience is negative. We all know what we letting ourselves in for so fingers crossed they very reasonable. For 7 nights i would like to see around £500pp mark which for £70 a night is decent value.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, joeecco said:

Not sure why you see the need to try and dampen my high spirits. A limited capacity ship is more hustle and bustle than sitting at home, thanks! 

Now be fair Joe. Your outlook is understandably going to be different as you’re only 23 did you say? Nobody’s trying to dampen your high spirits deliberately merely pointing out that the atmosphere is unlikely to be the same! 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, joeecco said:

I’d love that! We’re doing our upmost to surround ourself with positive people after all this! 

Brilliant! You guys certainly deserve positivity after your disappointing year. We'll see what comes up and if it's possible - see you on board. Yay! Jane.x

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Beckett said:

Brilliant! You guys certainly deserve positivity after your disappointing year. We'll see what comes up and if it's possible - see you on board. Yay! Jane.x

Thanks so much! We all need a little light to look too right now! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Yes, that's the one. Just inland from Corton. They have a resort at Corton too but I prefer Gunton.

I'm going to try it. I also like Lowestoft - which is a world apart from Southwold,  but it has a great beach. Thanks Britboys. J.x

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Now be fair Joe. Your outlook is understandably going to be different as you’re only 23 did you say? Nobody’s trying to dampen your high spirits deliberately merely pointing out that the atmosphere is unlikely to be the same! 

Yes I completely understand that. 

This is why I get very annoyed at people (no one in particular this is just a general comment) who think ‘cruises shouldn’t happen until I feel it’s safe for me’ - well actually each person is entirely right to have the choice in whether you want to sail or not, but people shouldn’t begrudge anyone who is willing to do these things that make them happy if they see it as safe. 
my point is nobody will be forced to cruise, so the quicker they can get back sailing for us folk that want to cruise the better! 

And as far as the ‘we should have social distancing forever and no nightclubs or close seating in theatre’ arguement goes on here, my answer is that you’re entitled to your opinion and nobody will take that from you but please, if you are of the general older age that this forum brings, please consider the likes of me at 23! If you’re 60+ then you’ve had (hopefully) 60 years of fun and it’s not wrong me to aspire to have a similar life to some you with all the pleasantries of theatres and nightclubs! 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, joeecco said:

This is why I get very annoyed at people (no one in particular this is just a general comment) who think ‘cruises shouldn’t happen until I feel it’s safe for me’ - well actually each person is entirely right to have the choice in whether you want to sail or not, but people shouldn’t begrudge anyone who is willing to do these things that make them happy if they see it as safe. 
my point is nobody will be forced to cruise, so the quicker they can get back sailing for us folk that want to cruise the better! 

And as far as the ‘we should have social distancing forever and no nightclubs or close seating in theatre’ arguement goes on here, my answer is that you’re entitled to your opinion and nobody will take that from you but please, if you are of the general older age that this forum brings, please consider the likes of me at 23! If you’re 60+ then you’ve had (hopefully) 60 years of fun and it’s not wrong me to aspire to have a similar life to some you with all the pleasantries of theatres and nightclubs! 

Completely get that - I have 3 children still living at home. 25, 23 and 21. All seasoned and enthusiastic cruisers but they think that it’s going to take a while for things to get back to some sort of normality on cruise ships and also in everyday life. As soon as they can, they’ll be seeing their other halves and hope to holiday in the UK this year. 
Nobody is advocating social distancing for ever! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joeecco said:

There you go again,  making it personal

Wowzz said the same as me, yet you only choose to pick on me 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Beckett said:

It felt normal today.

I booked a 2022 and 2023 cruise.

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, joeecco said:

Where has anybody said ‘cruises shouldn’t happen until it’s personally safe for me’ or ‘social distancing should go on  forever’?

I haven’t seen those posts. 

I have seen people say they might not be personally ready to cruise, or they may practice social distancing for longer than the government says it’s required.

But they aren’t saying other people should do the same as them 

• Like 4