Local Cruises

Ataraxia

1 hour ago, showingdiva said:

In a dream scenario of a visit up north, no P&O (or Cunard) ships would fit under the Forth Bridge, Road Bridge or Queensferry Crossing .. and all are also too wide, too long and too heavy to fit into Leith because of the lock gates.   We have had them here, and Queen Victoria had been due to return to one of our anchorages this year and Britannia came to visit in her maiden year (to visit our "other" Britannia .. the former Royal Yacht), as has Arcadia, Artemis and Adonia (Sea Princess) - but all at the anchorages.

What about Greenock, Belfast and Liverpool are they feasible to berth alongside?

Regards John

1 hour ago, showingdiva said:

In a dream scenario of a visit up north, no P&O (or Cunard) ships would fit under the Forth Bridge, Road Bridge or Queensferry Crossing .. and all are also too wide, too long and too heavy to fit into Leith because of the lock gates.   We have had them here, and Queen Victoria had been due to return to one of our anchorages this year and Britannia came to visit in her maiden year (to visit our "other" Britannia .. the former Royal Yacht), as has Arcadia, Artemis and Adonia (Sea Princess) - but all at the anchorages.

We sailed under the Forth Bridge and the Road Bridge in 2009, on Artemis.

if I recall correctly we docked at Rosyth. ( I think we’d been bumped from Leith) 

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

if I recall correctly we docked at Rosyth. ( I think we’d been bumped from Leith) 

Yes, I was on Pacific Princess on a cruise docked at Rosyth.  Anything larger anchors by the Forth Rail Bridge and undertakes tendering.  Typically Princess stop here or Greenock and visit the Edinburgh Military Tattoo with an overnight stop at these ports.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1

Dont forget - Thats drinks  - grats - all restaurants - private transport from home to the port  - there is NO extra to pay for special restaurants (and it includes some trips)...  Its a good price for Saga at peak time that's why it sold out.. I suspect though all companys will sell out quickly with reduced capacity and high demand..

Not quite sure why an earlier post thinks there are no port calls (the full briefing text even specifically mentions the finalizing of port calls within devolved areas) - My understanding is a mix of pure blue (ooh Matron) 2-3 nights sea only and longer 5-7nt with calls as long as criteria are met both within the industry and of course the national situation.

Edited by ighten

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

You really think that many people will do just a scenic cruise in UK waters?  Wouldn't be for me especially with our weather!!

I wonder if my 19 nighter going to Greece will happen in October.

Hope so Jean.  It will really  be something to look forward to after your accident. A good break to follow a bad break! Hope you keep on improving. Best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 2

Thank you Jane.

that Saga cruise, even if you put all those extras in, it's still mega expensive.  It depends on what you want.  I don't want a chauffeur, or specialty restuarants.  Grats are gone on P&O.  We pay around £80 per night approx for our cruises as we book early.  Nothing would make me pay over £200 per night.

Our cruise in October was £1350 for 19 nights. 

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Yes, Artemis has been at Rosyth.   She's just that little bit too big for Leith - there's a tight S-curve to the berth after making it through the locks.   In her reincarnation as Phoenix Reisen's Artania, she's been anchoring at Newhaven Harbour.

To the other question, yes, Greenock, Belfast and Liverpool are possible with most of the fleet (Iona is another question).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

So if they are not planning to stop at a port then why dont they cruise to the weather, down around the med or through the fjords....same thing in my eyes.

They would not get to the Med and back in 7 days and that is the longest they are allowed to cruise initially.

3 hours ago, ighten said:

Dont forget - Thats drinks  - grats - all restaurants - private transport from home to the port  - there is NO extra to pay for special restaurants (and it includes some trips)...  Its a good price for Saga at peak time that's why it sold out.. I suspect though all companys will sell out quickly with reduced capacity and high demand..

Not quite sure why an earlier post thinks there are no port calls (the full briefing text even specifically mentions the finalizing of port calls within devolved areas) - My understanding is a mix of pure blue (ooh Matron) 2-3 nights sea only and longer 5-7nt with calls as long as criteria are met both within the industry and of course the national situation.

Plus all the cabins have balconies.

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Thank you Jane.

that Saga cruise, even if you put all those extras in, it's still mega expensive.  It depends on what you want.  I don't want a chauffeur, or specialty restuarants.  Grats are gone on P&O.  We pay around £80 per night approx for our cruises as we book early.  Nothing would make me pay over £200 per night.

No disrespect Jean, but I don't think you are in Saga's target market.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Interesting to see Saga sold out instantly on its first  UK offering at 3500pp (which isnt a bad price for 15 nts) -they also have made it clear it will have port stops

But is this the one in July on Spirit of Adventure? If so, that is the delayed Maiden Cruise so would sell out fast.

9 minutes ago, Britboys said:

But is this the one in July on Spirit of Adventure? If so, that is the delayed Maiden Cruise so would sell out fast.

I think you may be correct, and Saga were offering those cruisers booked on the previously scheduled Maiden Cruise first "dibs" on this cruise. Tgat would be why it sold out so quickly.

As you say, good value for a maiden cruise, especially with all the perks included, and not on a floating  block of flats either!

Edited by wowzz

...Not quite sure why an earlier post thinks there are no port calls (the full briefing text even specifically mentions the finalizing of port calls within devolved areas) - My understanding is a mix of pure blue (ooh Matron) 2-3 nights sea only and longer 5-7nt with calls as long as criteria are met both within the industry and of course the national situation.

The initial information released by P&O was couched in language such as "Scenic Cruising", "Coastal Waters" and "Holidays at Sea", thereby suggesting that these cruises would not have any ports of call. If you have a link to a P&O Briefing that is available to the public, I am sure we would all be grateful to see it.

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

Indeed, might be a good idea, but not going to happen for a few one-off cruises. P&O will easily sell out the cruises from Southampton,  without the cost and complexity of sailing from any other port. 

I'm not so sure how easy the sell will be...

If they try "school holiday" style pricing and don't chuck in any sweeteners then I can't see Ventura and Azura filling consistently.

New ships - yes, novelty value.

Classic ships - yes, perhaps those really wanting to cruise whatever etc...the middle group??

One thing I will say is that the P&O phone lines and website will creak when they are itineraries launched, but then that's normal😉

2 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

I'm not so sure how easy the sell will be...

If they try "school holiday" style pricing and don't chuck in any sweeteners then I can't see Ventura and Azura filling consistently.

New ships - yes, novelty value.

Classic ships - yes, perhaps those really wanting to cruise whatever etc...the middle group??

One thing I will say is that the P&O phone lines and website will creak when they are itineraries launched, but then that's normal😉

I can only go by the response on other social media. Whilst obviously some people will not want to go on a cruise to  nowhere, there are thousands who have lost their summer cruises, are too late to book anything else for this summer, and have loads of FCC to spend. 7 days of being looked after does have a certain attraction for many people, especially  after the last 12 months.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Thank you Jane.

Like you, Jean we usually have an inside cabin (We have had a balcony on roughly a third of our cruises, otherwise an inside)so Sagas prices seem particularly expensive, mainly because they are all balcony cabins.We tend to choose a cruise for Itinerary so if there was a particular cruise we liked the look of (there are a couple on Sagas site)then we would be willing to pay their prices

14 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Thank you Jane.

I agree Jean that's really expensive for what it is. We are off to the Caribbean on Azura in January and we are paying just under £3500 pp for 14 nights and that's in a superior deluxe balcony and includes premium seats on the flights. Saga isn't going to tempt us at those prices!!

Peter and Jenny

12 hours ago, Britboys said:

I understand that all those who were booked on the original maiden cruise had their bookings carried over to the new one by default, with the option to cancel and get a refund. If most choose not to that would leave few cabins available for new bookings, it is suggested on the Saga board that these have already sold out. Sailing on 27 July, the itinerary is 15 nights round Britain with some interesting ports of call - Tilbury, Newcastle, Newhaven, Dundee, Kirkwall, Ullapool, St Kilda, Greenock, Belfast, Douglas IOM, Holyhead, Bristol, Falmouth and Dover. Some of these will be tender ports but with less than 1000 passengers this should not be too much of a problem.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I understand that all those who were booked on the original maiden cruise had their bookings carried over to the new one by default, with the option to cancel and get a refund. If most choose not to that would leave few cabins available for new bookings, it is suggested on the Saga board that these have already sold out. Sailing on 27 July, the itinerary is 15 nights round Britain with some interesting ports of call - Tilbury, Newcastle, Newhaven, Dundee, Kirkwall, Ullapool, St Kilda, Greenock, Belfast, Douglas IOM, Holyhead, Bristol, Falmouth and Dover. Some of these will be tender ports but with less than 1000 passengers this should not be too much of a problem.

So those few who weren't booked originally on the maiden cruise would be paying the absolute top price for their cabins with no 35% discount I assume?

1 hour ago, Zombatar said:

I agree Jean that's really expensive for what it is. We are off to the Caribbean on Azura in January and we are paying just under £3500 pp for 14 nights and that's in a superior deluxe balcony and includes premium seats on the flights. Saga isn't going to tempt us at those prices!!

Peter and Jenny

That's a tremendous price. We were looking at Britannia yesterday and with premium it was nearly £5500. I checked what we paid for the same in 2018 and it was £5100. I think another visit to the webpage is calling.😁