A Year Ago We Were Fretting About Barrel Chairs....and Now?

SargassoPirate

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

ontheweb;  I saw that video before.  It is good.  Also my in laws did the American Queen some years ago.  They loved it.  

Ok, but I also made it available to others. I did so far get one thank you, so at least one other poster took the opportunity to watch it.

16 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Some years ago, I was looking to book a Mississippi River cruise where you brought your own RV and drive it onto a barge then travel down (or up) the river.  I always wanted to do that but, now that's no longer an option - or is it??

15 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Daniel A;  I do not know of that option.  

@AF-1 Your response got my investigative juices up, so I did some internet research.  A company started the RV on barges river cruises in '92 but in 2000, the USCG found violations requiring some repairs to the barges.  It seems the company sold off the barges instead of making the investment of meeting the Coast Guard requirements.  It's a shame, I would have liked to try that experience.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

@AF-1 Your response got my investigative juices up, so I did some internet research.  A company started the RV on barges river cruises in '92 but in 2000, the USCG found violations requiring some repairs to the barges.  It seems the company sold off the barges instead of making the investment of meeting the Coast Guard requirements.  It's a shame, I would have liked to try that experience.

Thanks, @Daniel A. That sounds like an intriguing experience to us, too. Thank you for doing the digging. I was going to ask folks in the RVers/Cruisers thread if they were familiar with it, but I don't need to now.

PapaFej had looked into it for the trip to Alaska (which we have done in an RV, via the Al-an Highway), but it is crazy expensive. 

• Like 1

So, on the subject, did the barrel chairs return? How about the return of unlimited butter pats in the MDR?  I have not sailed on Princess for a couple of years, lol.

th.jpg.984b2587aa963aac3c7d6b3bdcda1595.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

So, on the subject, did the barrel chairs return? How about the return of unlimited butter pats in the MDR?  I have not sailed on Princess for a couple of years, lol.

th.jpg.984b2587aa963aac3c7d6b3bdcda1595.jpg

Our last cruise was fall, 2019. For the life of me I cannot remember the butter situation. There must have been enough to meet the basket of rolls' needs or I would have remembered. 😂

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

No, the barrel chairs did not return. For most cabins, only one chair for multiple people to share.

Unlimited butter pats were and still are (until cruising stopped for the pandemic) available. The problem was that only one pat per person was set out on the butter dish and you had to wait a while for the waitstaff to bring you more (unlimited) pats.

• Like 1

The butter pat situation was most dire on the nights with baked potatoes on the menu. Everyone had eaten their roll with their one allotted pat of butter, and there was NO (none, nada, etc) left for your potato. A crisis of major proportions 🤣

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, tillys mom said:

The butter pat situation was most dire on the nights with baked potatoes on the menu. Everyone had eaten their roll with their one allotted pat of butter, and there was NO (none, nada, etc) left for your potato. A crisis of major proportions 🤣

I ordered a baked potato most every night ... depending on if a potato I liked was included in the meal ... always asked for 'extra butter' and cheese when ordered 

never had a problem 

• Like 2

On 3/16/2021 at 3:34 PM, ontheweb said:

I found this on YouTube about the American Duchess. It is not quite 3 years old, so some things may have changed, but I thought you might be find it interesting.

Insider Video: Sailing the Mississippi on American Duchess - YouTube

Thanks for posting this link! I just got back to this thread and found your post and enjoyed watching the video. We are excited about the upcoming cruise on the Duchess. Since it's been out of service for a year I suppose any changes in its operation will be due to COVID. I've not been able to find much information yet, but it is cruising this week from New Orleans.

Linda

10 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

Thanks for posting this link! I just got back to this thread and found your post and enjoyed watching the video. We are excited about the upcoming cruise on the Duchess. Since it's been out of service for a year I suppose any changes in its operation will be due to COVID. I've not been able to find much information yet, but it is cruising this week from New Orleans.

Linda

I'm glad you enjoyed the link I posted. Enjoy your cruise.

I signed up to get their brochure. We will see if anything works for us. DW did sound interested when I mentioned river cruises in the USA (though she looked at their Niagara Falls cruises which include Canada and are obviously not happening this summer, and are listed on their website as not available.)

We have only done ocean cruises, but once had a river cruise booked roundtrip from Amsterdam. It was chartered out from under us after final payment. We were offered other river cruises, but really wanted Amsterdam, and ended up doing a land trip there.

Oh, to have the barrel chair, chair hogging issues again.  Those were the days.

We had a cruise scheduled on Celebrity and the discussion there was whether or not foot stools were no longer offered on balconies.  We now travel with deflated beach balls just in case no foot stools.

We scheduled a cruise to Mexico yesterday on the Majestic and the excitement came right back.  

• Like 1