The Daily for Friday Mar 12, 2021

richwmn

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily!

Please add our best wishes to those celebrating.

Preschool for me meant quality time with my mother and those dreaded flash cards. Looking back I have to tip my hat to that woman for her stick-to-itiveness!

To paraphrase Bob Seger, "I woke this morning to the sound of thunder.." They are predicting from 2 to 5 inches of rain this weekend. We need the moisture, just not all at once. We've had some hail already today. Don't really need that at all.

Lori has an appointment next week for her second jab. We're looking forward to getting that behind her, and hope it brings a safer future.

Everyone please stay safe and healthy and let's all get past this.

Have a great day!

George

• Like 16

This is an online photo of the covid vaccine card...

My cousin had a good idea....take a photo of your completed card....keep a photo copy on your phone (add your spouse and family)....scan an extra copy...and keep the original in a safe place....or until you might need it for travel...

Then try to remember the "safe place"....without having to write it on your arm with a sharpie...:)

images.jpg

• Like 17
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

2.  Dispose of snails and slugs you can't bear to kill?  Throw them out into the street and let them fend for themselves.

Well, I live in the Seattle metro area so I have a better solution.  Down here we have a fine slug cookbook with wonderful recipes like Slugs Rockefeller and Slugs in Blankets, etc 😉😉.

• Like 8
  • Haha 10

6 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Pairing Wine With Girl Scout Cookies | Wine Club Group

OK, I have to tell another story.

Mrs, XBGuy used to have an occasional job cooking meals for various NASCAR race teams on their west coast visits,  (I, of course, was her sous chef.)  Prior to one of these weekends we would spend an entire day baking off dozens of chocolate chip cookies.  These cookies were very popular throughout the garage and boxes of these made there way to multiple teams.  Towards the end of "baking day" I would open a bottle of wine.  It is my opinion that Zinfandel pairs very well with choccolate chip cookies.

Oh, and I apologize for my unfortunate wording in the previous post.

• Like 16

15 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

Well, I live in the Seattle metro area so I have a better solution.  Down here we have a fine slug cookbook with wonderful recipes like Slugs Rockefeller and Slugs in Blankets, etc 😉😉.

I prefer them with just a touch of salt. 😄😂 And I have enough in my yard to feed all of us!

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

Afternoon Tea was a great success!  It was raining really heavily at the time so it was a bit like a rough sea on a Dam Ship with the water running down the windows.

I still reckon that the HAL tea wins as there were too many sweet things in todays tea.

20210312_151225.jpg

20210312_151459.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Afternoon Tea was a great success!  It was raining really heavily at the time so it was a bit like a rough sea on a Dam Ship with the water running down the windows.

I still reckon that the HAL tea wins as there were too many sweet things in todays tea.

20210312_151225.jpg

20210312_151459.jpg

OMGOSH!! I am getting spandex pants LOL!

🌺Beautiful display and the sweets and sandwiches look marvelous!! It is going on 11 am here and I am hungry!

🌴Denise😊

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Good morning. Thank you to all for the birthday wishes.

@rafinmd  Roy, you are in our thoughts today as you say a final goodbye to Roger.

It's been a long time since DDs were pre-schoolers.  They each attended a nursery school when they were 3.  When we moved to PA, the school had  half-day classes for 4 year olds to help them adjust to school.  DDs and I were all brownies and I went on to become a Girl Scout.  I remember standing outside the A&P in Newark, DE, with a cart full of cookies helping DDS sell them to the shoppers.  Before we were able to travel as much as we do (did and will do again), I would plant flowers in spite of my brown thumb.

@Copper10-8  Happy Birthday!  🎂

@cunnorl  Good to know your family is out of quarantine and that your BIL is doing better.

Finally, I got a haircut yesterday after whacking on my hair for four months.  Evidently, I did better than I thought as she did not fuss at me and did not have to do too much to get it back in shape.  What a morale booster.

@XBGuy  Last year on the Rotterdam, at the wine tasting, they had a Zinfandel  paired with a chocolate brownie.  Wow, what a great pair as it brought out the chocolate in both.  🍷

Also, on that cruise, the waiter brought a birthday cake to the table for my birthday, which wasn't for another 4-6 weeks.  Since they did not know who it was really for,  we celebrated early and the entire table enjoyed the, cake.

We have been to Edinburgh five times all on the Prinsendam, so we docked at Rosyth.  The first time in  2011, we took a morning tour to Edinburgh and the castle, followed by an afternoon tour to St. Andrews.  In 2016, we were late docking due to tidal conditions, and our tour to the Falkirk Wheel was cancelled, so we took the train into town.  In 2016, we did several b2bs, so we were in Rosyth and Edinburgh three times. 

The first time, we made it to the Falkirk Wheel, but the tour was nearly cancelled.  The guides for the two buses had to cancel and there were no replacements.  We were given the option of getting off the bus and getting our money back, or doing the tour anyway.  The two drivers went out of their way to make it a memorable tour even without out any commentary.  The wheel provided a guide for the boat ride.  They even made a unscheduled stop at the statues of the Kelpies, mythical sea creatures that steal children.  As usual, there was one grump who complained about the lack of commentary on the bus.

A view of the stands being erected at the Castle for the Tattoo.  The stands are vey steep and tall, and since I do not like heights, I'm not sure I will attend the Tattoo because with my luck I'd be on the top row and miserable.

DSC06235.thumb.JPG.58e863cd2e83b4c35cddab32dcd261fe.JPG

When we left the Castle in 2011, we had to wait for our bus until a parade of veterans assemble and marched by, followed by a band, and pipers.  It was worth the wait to see how proud they were.

P1030412.thumb.JPG.adf5f26a5cf40abea7dd6ca0b5b9ef9e.JPG

The Kelpies.

DSC08893.thumb.JPG.ffb1f163f07fc347da2102bbd18fd961.JPG

We visited the Britannia, but I wiil only show one picture of the sitting room.

DSC00033.thumb.JPG.4d5e7c088f2fcf5c6c3fc0db8c646dea.JPG

The last time we did the combination of the city bus and the Ho-Ho, since I wanted to go to the statue of Greyfriars's Bobby.  Here is the statue and his grave in Greyfriars's Cemetery.

DSC00265.thumb.JPG.fb42bed2dc3d7462191d86702f89ddc0.JPG

DSC00257.thumb.JPG.14601177509902a985d4574e28559316.JPG

Finally, a couple of pictures from the town.  The first was taken in 2016 during the Fringe and the Tattoo.   You could hardly walk down the streets.

DSC06244.thumb.JPG.3ad08846230562ab32856a79122f3b23.JPG
DSC00273.thumb.JPG.2ed18ecb7cfe0da68b11455e4484c27e.JPG

Lenda

DSC06243.JPG

• Like 27

3 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

20210312_151225.jpg

20210312_151459.jpg

That looks fabulous!!!!

Looks like enough for lunch, tea and dinner 😉 

I bet Ellen really enjoyed her birthday tea - so thoughtful of you ♥️ 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kplady said:

(sorry, I don't know how to comment on each photo. First shows the 3 bridges across, second a piper on the street, 3rd Bill and I at Arthur's Seat, 4th Sunset over the Castle, 5th light show on the Castle during Tattoo - it was a special military themed program, 6th the massed bands at the end)

This may help you comment on each photo.  It is what I figured out.  When I'm ready to post the photos and want to comment on them, I hit return several times so there are a lot of blank lines.  Then I go to the second blank line and comment on the first picture, move the cursor to the next line, post the picture.  At the bottom of the picture, I leave a blank line, then write my comment, go down a line, post the picture and repeat as often as necessary.  I also keep an eye on how much space is below the last picture posted and add more lines as needed.

Sometimes if there are a lot of extra lines at the end of my post, I will forget to remove them so the post is not any longer than necessary.

Hope this helps and that it makes sense.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Bit of a hiatus 😉 but continuing on with Amsterdam's Grand Asia/Pacific voyage from a crew perspective. As stated before, drilling/training is a continues evolution for the crew on cruise ships.

The drill depicted here was a fire drill simulating a helicopter crash on the bow, something one hopes and prays will never occur. Operating/hovering a helicopter literally feet above the bow of a moving 62,735 ton ship while conducting a medevac (medical evacuation) is always a risky business. I have been actively involved/been a witness (as rescue squad commander) to medevacs by the U.S. Coast Guard (multiple), Royal Canadian Air Force (twice), and French Navy (once off Tahiti) and am always amazed by the skill of the pilots to keep that aircraft steady safely above that moving deck while conducting their operation until a safe conclusion.

Amsterdam's fire teams (there are four) were always standing by until that conclusion per SOP. This drill involved working with foam on the bow - there was no real helo of course, but valuable training for all involved! The last series of pics are of an actual medevac by a USCG crew from air station Borenquen, Puerto Rico off Maasdam and that's one of our nurses, Jennifer, going up in the basket for her first time; my hat is always off to these brave men and women  

113.JPG

115.JPG

116.JPG

117.JPG

110.JPG

913.JPG

DSCN4111.JPG

DSCN4137.JPG

DSCN4138.JPG

DSCN4166.JPG

DSCN4178.JPG

DSCN4175.JPG

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

This may help you comment on each photo.  It is what I figured out.  When I'm ready to post the photos and want to comment on them, I hit return several times so there are a lot of blank lines.  Then I go to the second blank line and comment on the first picture, move the cursor to the next line, post the picture.  At the bottom of the picture, I leave a blank line, then write my comment, go down a line, post the picture and repeat as often as necessary.  I also keep an eye on how much space is below the last picture posted and add more lines as needed.

Sometimes if there are a lot of extra lines at the end of my post, I will forget to remove them so the post is not any longer than necessary.

Hope this helps and that it makes sense.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.  I too have never been able to figure out how to do this!  Will try next time.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

When you add pictures via the "choose files" option they will show up as icons below your post.

You can then click on the picture and it will be placed where the cursor is, and the cursor will move to be after the image. Press enter to get to a new line and type your caption. Then press enter again to place the next image on a new line.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday to all those celebrating!

Thinking of you today Roy, as you celebrate your brother's life.

We are usually in the US for Girl Scout cookie time.  Missing those samoas.  Canadian Girl Guide cookies just aren't the same, although we support them too.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I prefer them with just a touch of salt. 😄😂 And I have enough in my yard to feed all of us!

I have never heard of anyone eating a slug.  I have heard of people killing them with salt, though.  What I have learned is that slugs can harbor a parasite that is deadly and can eat poisonous mushrooms.

• Like 7

Someone just posted the first sign of Spring on our local "Bear Smart" page. Now I will have to check dumpsters and remind everyone to be sure the lids are snapped closed. These guys come out hungry!!!! Moms and cubs should be out in a few more weeks. Last year we had a Mom with 3 little cubs and a yearling with her and she hung around nearly all summer. Cute but a bit unnerving.

Got my Girl Scout cookies yesterday. I was not a Scout. For some reason I was not interested.

Susan

• Like 15

Just now, USN59-79 said:

I have never heard of anyone eating a slug.  I have heard of people killing them with salt, though.  What I have learned is that slugs can harbor a parasite that is deadly and can eat poisonous mushrooms.

Hopefully we're all joking about eating them, I know I am!  😆 I don't even eat escargot.  😉 

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Bit of a hiatus 😉 but continuing on with Amsterdam's Grand Asia/Pacific voyage from a crew perspective.

We always enjoy and appreciate seeing things from your point of view. Thanks for sharing, and educating.

And as someone said, Happy Birthday!

Lori & George

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1