P&O vaccine update - both jabs required

Stu UK

I might go on one - I'll see what the single occupancy rates are first. I don't mind just enjoying the motion of the sea. A good book or three and total relaxation will suit me fine; and if there's a trip to Anfield on the Liverpool stop - even better! Jane.x 

• Like 3

Over 50s been called forward today. Also seems people are not waiting the full 12 weeks for their 2nd jab, most i know so far have been getting it around 6-7 week mark even though they have been booked in for 12 week mark.

Eu going to release a covid passport scheme today, UK will adopt it, via a smart phone. 

Kids do NOT currently need a jab and wont for the foreseeable future. Need to get through adults first. 

As for costs, how much is an all inclusive holiday in UK over the summer hols.......

If you want to go then go and enjoy. Those that dont want to go, stay home and enjoy, but either way be respectful and all enjoy what ever you all plan. 

• Like 6

I have a deposit on a 2022 world cruise.  I sent the cruise line a letter urging mandatory vaccinations for all crew and passengers. I hope more people urge or demand such a policy.  The text of what I sent was:

"I have booked the XXX world cruise on the XXX, sailing XXX.

As I continue to monitor the continued cancellations of sailings in light of Covid-19, and changing travel restrictions, I am concerned about embarking on a XXX-night cruise with multiple stops in foreign ports.  The uncertainty of conditions and restrictions on board, as well as the ship being barred from docking in the scheduled ports of call gives me pause.

I urge XXX cruise line to mandate that all crew and passengers be vaccinated before departing.  Reliance on a negative Covid-19 test days before departure only proves that the person was negative at the time of the test.  The virus could still be brought on board by a tested but unvaccinated person and then spread to other unvaccinated persons on board.

Neither XXX cruise line nor the passengers want an uninterrupted world cruise and the only way to ensure that won’t happen is a mandatory vaccination policy."

24 minutes ago, zap99 said:

When I look out of my cabin window in the English channel I expect to see herds of wilderbeest sweeping across the plain, or the Sydney opera house.🤣

Don't forget to pack your rose-coloured glasses. 😁

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

well here's my tuppence worth.

Obviously they've got to start somewhere, so a couple of ships, the bigger ones where you can be more socially distanced than the smaller ones seems sensible. It probably won't resemble cruising before the pandemic for a year or so, perhaps never exactly the same, the virus will always be here now, we will just improve treatments and probably have yearly boosters.

As to vaccinations, well the jury is still out as to whether you can pass the virus on but most think you still can so masks in busy areas again seem cautious but proactive. Not everyone ,even those that have had the jab will be fully 100% protected, it's not magic.

I think they are being very cautious, and so they should , absolutely, it's potentially peoples lives  at stake. I don't think they can afford to get it "wrong "[ thinking of Diamond Princess for example but not picking them out unduly] as cruising won't survive another "disaster". I expect they have plans  and procedures in place for people who test positive whilst on the cruise[ false negatives and those too early to show positives] but these must be evolving on nearly as daily basis and would find it difficult to publish these and then change them virtually the next day.

Only an individual or family can decide as the to the value of the cruises.

This is my opinion only , others will have totally different views, neither are "right" or "wrong" just keep it kind please.

• Like 6

I imagine they looked at the demographics of the passengers, seen that enough of them will have fallen into the categories of having been offered both vaccinations and felt that to encourage them to travel they will limit it to them.

But the vaccine hasn’t yet been proved to stop the carrying of COVID but just to reduce the risk of being ill with it. So the unvaccinated crew are still at risk. And how they get the crew vaccinated most be an issue for them. 

55 minutes ago, zap99 said:

When I look out of my cabin window in the English channel I expect to see herds of wilderbeest sweeping across the plain, or the Sydney opera house.🤣

Won't that depend on how long you have spent in the bar(s)?......🤔😂

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I might go on one - I'll see what the single occupancy rates are first. I don't mind just enjoying the motion of the sea. A good book or three and total relaxation will suit me fine; and if there's a trip to Anfield on the Liverpool stop - even better! Jane.x 

Anfield is one of my most favourite places to be 😊

• Like 1

With all these threads merged I’ve missed the part about visiting Liverpool- is that right? I’ve been to Liverpool several times, would love to visit by ship but I’d just want the wander as I know my way round now! Guess it’s excursions only though? 

21 minutes ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

well here's my tuppence worth.

Obviously they've got to start somewhere, so a couple of ships, the bigger ones where you can be more socially distanced than the smaller ones seems sensible. It probably won't resemble cruising before the pandemic for a year or so, perhaps never exactly the same, the virus will always be here now, we will just improve treatments and probably have yearly boosters.

As to vaccinations, well the jury is still out as to whether you can pass the virus on but most think you still can so masks in busy areas again seem cautious but proactive. Not everyone ,even those that have had the jab will be fully 100% protected, it's not magic.

I think they are being very cautious, and so they should , absolutely, it's potentially peoples lives  at stake. I don't think they can afford to get it "wrong "[ thinking of Diamond Princess for example but not picking them out unduly] as cruising won't survive another "disaster". I expect they have plans  and procedures in place for people who test positive whilst on the cruise[ false negatives and those too early to show positives] but these must be evolving on nearly as daily basis and would find it difficult to publish these and then change them virtually the next day.

Only an individual or family can decide as the to the value of the cruises.

This is my opinion only , others will have totally different views, neither are "right" or "wrong" just keep it kind please.

I absolutely agree. People will decide if they wish to go on one of these cruises and how much they will pay. Being continually told they are wrong if they do is a waste of everyone's time. If folk don't want to go , simple. Don't go.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

With all these threads merged I’ve missed the part about visiting Liverpool- is that right? I’ve been to Liverpool several times, would love to visit by ship but I’d just want the wander as I know my way round now! Guess it’s excursions only though? 

Only the last cruise stops at Liverpool (evening only) and organised tours only.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I will be quite surprised if the single cabins are less than 160 - 175% of the per person in a twin/double and if the sole occupancy rate for a double isn't 200% of it.

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

There has to something wrong here, as children aren't being vaccinated, so that set me thinking. I'm trying to be as tactful as possible here without causing offense, but could it be that they would prefer to start the first trial cruises with adults only, as children can unknowingly carry the virus. If they were to ban certain ages outright there would be an uproar, so stating 'vaccinated passengers only' would cover them. Just my thoughts.

Avril

Agree and if anyone starts on seeking legal advice about kids forget it. Cruise lines can designate certain cruises as adults only and do

It's very disappointing personally in that I don't think I'll be vaccinated by then, however I do understand the potential reputational damage means it probably had to be this way. Masking, no stops etc wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest, but that requirement has put a hard stop on it for those of us under ?40ish

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Only the last cruise stops at Liverpool (evening only) and organised tours only.

Not sure I understand why it would be organised tours only, when the UK has totally opened up and there are no restrictions?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I will be quite surprised if the single cabins are less than 160 - 175% of the per person in a twin/double and if the sole occupancy rate for a double isn't 200% of it.

How many balcony cabins does Iona have?