P&O vaccine update - both jabs required

Stu UK

4 minutes ago, sallybunny said:

I have no problem with wearing a mask on board and social distancing. The reduced number of people will make for a nicer cruise. Plus a guaranteed balcony cabin - bliss! Yes, it's looking expensive, but all the short cruises are expensive pppn, especially as I do short cruises solo. I also rarely get off the ship on short cruises so it'll be nice to be at sea rather than in an industrial port. This is exactly what I need right now. So if you want me on Monday morning at 8:30 I'll be booking my cruise!

If you are going solo. Will you be able to mix with anyone onboard the ship? That is a big question and issue for the Cunard solo travellers. Apparently on the QM2 the talk is if you board alone you stay alone. No solo travellers meetup, no shared tables, no cc meetup, no LGBT etc etc. And that situation is appearing to be a big no for the Cunard people on here.

7 minutes ago, sallybunny said:

I'll be there with bells on! It sounds like they're taking all the precautions they can and are easing back into it all with caution. It's not going to be like a 'normal' cruise but then it might never be normal again.

I've worn masks, kept to social distancing and jumped at the chance of a vaccine. I suspect I'll have far less chance of coming into contact with someone unknowingly infected with Covid on board than going to the shops or into work or staying in hotels where they don't have the ability to screen people.

I have no problem with wearing a mask on board and social distancing. The reduced number of people will make for a nicer cruise. Plus a guaranteed balcony cabin - bliss! Yes, it's looking expensive, but all the short cruises are expensive pppn, especially as I do short cruises solo. I also rarely get off the ship on short cruises so it'll be nice to be at sea rather than in an industrial port. This is exactly what I need right now. So if you want me on Monday morning at 8:30 I'll be booking my cruise!

Me too - to all you say here - I think I may be the only person ever to get a suntan in Zeebrugge harbour in November staying on board Aurora on a 3nighter (me and the captain who laughed himself silly at my beetroot face) - just happy to watch the waves and have lots and lots of deck walks out in the fresh(soggy) air.  Setting the alarm for 07:30am

• Like 4

And still there is no announcement of plan to vaccinate the staff who will carry out these sailings. Perhaps they intend to operate without staff being vaccinated for a period of time possibly even forever. Which would mean that masks will be on the ships possibly forever. 

Also according to daily express article with Carnival group director staff numbers do not appear to being cut. They seem intent to see the full compliment of 90k staff return to work.

4 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

If you are going solo. Will you be able to mix with anyone onboard the ship? That is a big question and issue for the Cunard solo travellers. Apparently on the QM2 the talk is if you board alone you stay alone. No solo travellers meetup, no shared tables, no cc meetup, no LGBT etc etc. And that situation is appearing to be a big no for the Cunard people on here.

Yes, that will be disappointing - one of the best things about going solo, have met some really great people over the years and still match up cruises with some of them - however, if no mixing is the rules for now, happy to sit with my book at my nice little table and enjoy being on board and out of the house again.    On the transatlantic later in this year will be looking to create a bubble with some friends if they are able to travel, if not, so be it still going and still booking into the speciality restaurant at least one night happily by myself

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Whilst I also agree that the new cruises are expensive, I think that comparing the price of an inside cabin on a cruise booked some time ago, on a full ship, to a balcony cabin on a half full ship, is neither here nor there.

Strangely though when the 2022 cruises came out, they were just as good value, as ever booking on lauch.  We have another 19 nighter booked for October 2022 and have only paid £1350 pp .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I'm afraid that when I go on my own I really do go on my own! I'm surrounded by family and colleagues all day every day and this is time for me to switch off and do what I like on my terms. If I had to mix with other people then I wouldn't go 🤣

I sound like a right miserable git. I do talk to people when I go but just like to have the peace and quiet. So I'm the person you see in the restaurant on a table for one with a book and I'm having just the best time. 

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, teabear said:

Me too - to all you say here - I think I may be the only person ever to get a suntan in Zeebrugge harbour in November staying on board Aurora on a 3nighter (me and the captain who laughed himself silly at my beetroot face) - just happy to watch the waves and have lots and lots of deck walks out in the fresh(soggy) air.  Setting the alarm for 07:30am

If we end up on the same ship I'll give you a socially distanced wave then we can leave each other alone for the rest of the cruise!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Riddoch said:

But why not come out and say that. The answers given is that it's open to all ages but realistically it's not. 

It could be worded like that incase the gov. guidelines change overnight and they haven't got to worry about updating the info.,it's set for the long term.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Has anyone realised that the starting prices of £449 on Britannia and £779 on Iona are for Early Saver prices so if you want to pick your cabin location then you will have to pay extra for a Select price. So basically they are charging £150pppn and putting you in a cabin that suits them not you.

I exchanged a few emails with my TA this morning and she suggested that at this point she is under the impression that all bookings will effectively be 'Early Saver', with no free OBC/parking offers, and as with normal saver bookings, P&O will allocate your cabin later on. She did say that she would let me know if she heard more though.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, WECRUISEUK said:

It could be worded like that incase the gov. guidelines change overnight and they haven't got to worry about updating the info.,it's set for the long term.

One thing is certain. Nobody knows what the situation will be in a few months. It seems eminently sensible to have ' fluid ' procedures.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I just logged into my local Health Centre website for something else, and looked at my Patient Record and there is my AZ vaccination quite clear, so can print that off as proof of vaccination.

From various threads on cc, it appears that not everyone can view their Patient Records. It seems to vary from surgery to surgery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sallybunny said:

I'll be there with bells on! It sounds like they're taking all the precautions they can and are easing back into it all with caution. It's not going to be like a 'normal' cruise but then it might never be normal again.

I've worn masks, kept to social distancing and jumped at the chance of a vaccine. I suspect I'll have far less chance of coming into contact with someone unknowingly infected with Covid on board than going to the shops or into work or staying in hotels where they don't have the ability to screen people.

Me too👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, teabear said:

Sounds fabulous to me 👍

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, reef112 said:

I exchanged a few emails with my TA this morning and she suggested that at this point she is under the impression that all bookings will effectively be 'Early Saver', with no free OBC/parking offers, and as with normal saver bookings, P&O will allocate your cabin later on. She did say that she would let me know if she heard more though.

Thats no good...I like to choose my own cabin location hence why I always decline an upgrade

46 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I just logged into my local Health Centre website for something else, and looked at my Patient Record and there is my AZ vaccination quite clear, so can print that off as proof of vaccination.

I’ve got an app called myGP and when I go into my medical records my first vaccination is listed.

Unfortunately on that particular page it dosnt have my name, so would be no good printing that page off 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, philsuarez said:

Thats no good...I like to choose my own cabin location hence why I always decline an upgrade

We learnt our lesson on upgrades some years ago. We were moved to one that was in a slightly more mid ships position but had a sun deck above where the deck crew would start putting the sun beds out from 7.00 am onwards and when people moved them during the day.

My late mum got a good upgrade once from inside to balcony, so it can work out OK but we would rather not take the risk.

That's exactly what they did to us.  We had an inside mid/forward on D deck, they moved us to A deck which they said was an upgrade.  Not to me it's not.  Made them move us back as we had ticked the box for "no upgrade"

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

not much difference from being at home. I talk to people every day, at a safe distance. I eat on my own in a speciality restaurant etc. Solo travellers meetups are just a load of gossiping

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

On my record, my name, NHS number is there and everything.

Just spent a frustrating half hour trying to set up the NHS App  got into a loop when it wanted to verify my passport 😱 I gave up in the end

When I sail solo, the sociable aspect is what makes a cruise for me so that makes these cruises less attractive to me. The main thing that will put me off however is the price. Unless our assumptions are very wrong, a 3 night solo cruise is going to cost £250 to £300 per night. Even if either of the ships were attractive to me, I wouldn't want to do 7 nights as a socially-distanced solo traveller.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reef112 said:

Even more reason not to book and if it does not include free parking or OBC then it makes it even more expensive and not for me.