Will Carnival's Ship Still Have Rust when Cruising Resumes?

evandbob

Rust: I tend to overlook it on Carnival ships, but sometimes the balconies have lots of it, and when in port next to another cruise line, the Carnival rust and hull patchy paint smears really stands out.  I've heard that Carnival's official reason was a poor choice of cheap marine paint, compounded by the daily wear & tear on the ship's metal in a salt water environment.  But other lines don't seem to have as prevelant a rust issue as Carnival.

So, in all this time that the ships are idle, is Carnival doing spruce up work on them?  I don't mean dry dock, just enhanced maintenance to improve the ship board appearance?  This could include carpet cleaning, furniture repair or replacement, cigarette smoke mitigation and yes, rust elimination?

Or is Carnival just biding time waiting for passengers to return and it'll be business as usual? Can the company continue to do sub par maintenance and figure passengers will just be happy to be back aboard a ship again?  In my 40 plus Carnival cruises, I've always seen workers chipping rust off and repainting, but the end result seems to be the same amount of rust.

The ones who will return to service from drydock should be in the best shape.

It may take a few months to sufficiently repaint the rest of the fleet once service resumes, assuming the crew is permitted to paint while in port.

It's an iron ship that never leaves the corrosive salt water.  It's going to have some rust. It doesn't effect it's  seaworthiness.  The ship is clean. The food is good. It's a vacation.   Enjoy!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

It's an iron ship that never leaves the corrosive salt water.  It's going to have some rust. It doesn't effect it's  seaworthiness.  The ship is clean. The food is good. It's a vacation.   Enjoy!

Steel. https://www.marineinsight.com/guidelines/what-materials-are-used-for-building-ships/#:~:text=For the construction of the,welding properties of the steel.

The ships only have skeleton crews. I imagine routine maintence is being done, but I doubt repainting the hull is on their list. Carnival's original plan was to repaint each ship as it went through dry dock. Yes, the paint was defective, I doubt it was cheap.

Carnival scrapped the biggest offenders and several others have dry docks scheduled this year.

Rust is going to happen. Salt and water are very corrosive. I tend not to look for faults while on vacation and just enjoy. I haven't been on a cruise, but if I was sitting on a balcony, looking and listening to the ocean, the last thing I would want to be doing in serenity is "wow, look at that screw and bracket it's rusty". 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Most likely. And it will not concern only the  Carnival ships. I mean, just imagine how many ships were not operating. Its been so long. These ships rusted both outside and inside. Those companies will have to spend lots of money to get them ready for a cruise

• Like 1

Norwegian ships have rust too, FWIW.  Not that they're really higher class than Carnival.  Salt water and metal generally have an unhealthy relationship.  I've not yet been on a ship where they weren't always painting something though.

9 hours ago, Theosprey247 said:

If you look (I mean really look) all ships have rust. 

In varying degrees, possibly.  But I've sailed Carnival over 40 times, and whenever I exited a Carnival ship in port, it was so simple to see the negative comparision with other lines.

Carnival IMO, leads the major cruise lines in hull and balcony rust.  About 2 years ago Carnival execs admitted using no primer and the wrong (cheap) paint that resulted in such widespread oxidation.  

No other main line comes close to Carnival in the amount of rusted and salt corroded metal that their ships carry.

The pandemic downtime could be used to rectify this issue.

Edited by evandbob

29 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Carnival IMO, leads the major cruise lines in hull and balcony rust.  About 2 years ago Carnival execs admitted using no primer and the wrong (cheap) paint that resulted in such widespread oxidation.  

A link to support your accusation? I know bad paint was used, but who's fault was that?

29 minutes ago, evandbob said:

The pandemic downtime could be used to rectify this issue.

Dry dock space is harder to come by these days - not just cruise lines are taking advantage of.

I can think of a million things to complain about in today’s (hopeful) cruises: masks, price increases, cxl cruises until.., limited capacity when cruises resume, Carnival exclusive excursions....

Nope we are stuck in pre-2020 where topics were straws, rust, tip or no tip and  hairy chest contests.  We really must desperate at this point.

• Like 3

I overlook a bit of rust, but what gets on my nerves a little is messy painting. I am a person who has done a lot of painting in my life. I notice when the blue paint is slopped onto the white paint or white onto the blue. Or paint on the wood railings. And especially drips on the balcony floors. I try  not to look, but I find myself wanting to fix the slopped paint and remove the drips. I don't know. I don't paint like that. The paint that they use must be very hard to apply neatly or they have cheap brushes. Or they don't care or something. 

Edited by mzloolue