Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?

seapals2

3 hours ago, zoe sproodle said:

You’ll be getting on the day we get off then.  We’ve also booked Scarlet Lady, the price did seem a bit high for 3 nights but as she’ll be virtually parked on our doorstep it seemed rude not to...

We thought that initially, but with $200 “Sailors Loot” it beat the prices of Princess for a 3 night sailing. 

The trouble with these emails, is that when they say £50pp off, you never know what the original price was.

My point is that P&O were the first (?) to put UK cruises on sale, and therefore they set the bench mark prices. Subsequently everyone else has piled in, and therefore P&O are selling interior  cabins so as to offer a competitive price versus their competitors. 

Personally, I've no interest in taking any of these cruises, but I will be looking with interest to see how low prices fall in the 4 weeks before each cruise starts. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

The trouble with these emails, is that when they say £50pp off, you never know what the original price was.

My point is that P&O were the first (?) to put UK cruises on sale, and therefore they set the bench mark prices. Subsequently everyone else has piled in, and therefore P&O are selling interior  cabins so as to offer a competitive price versus their competitors. 

Personally, I've no interest in taking any of these cruises, but I will be looking with interest to see how low prices fall in the 4 weeks before each cruise starts. 

If there is a significant drop in the price of the cruise following the one we have booked, might just pay the money and have another week on board!

4 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

If there is a significant drop in the price of the cruise following the one we have booked, might just pay the money and have another week on board!

I suspect there may be a fair bit of spare capacity around at the moment now that pretty much all of the major players have launched staycations.  By my very rough reckoning there are around 250k cabins available on these staycations this summer. A quick google search would suggest there are around one million regular cruisers in the UK. So at least 1 in 4 of us would need to book to fill these places. Judging by the comments on these boards I would guess only around 1 in 10 of us have

booked so far and that's amongst a fairly hardcore bunch of cruise enthusiasts 😁

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bobblehat71 said:

I suspect there may be a fair bit of spare capacity around at the moment now that pretty much all of the major players have launched staycations.  By my very rough reckoning there are around 250k cabins available on these staycations this summer. A quick google search would suggest there are around one million regular cruisers in the UK. So at least 1 in 4 of us would need to book to fill these places. Judging by the comments on these boards I would guess only around 1 in 10 of us have

booked so far and that's amongst a fairly hardcore bunch of cruise enthusiasts 😁

Are you counting the 250k cabins as full capacity because dont think any of the ships will be sailing anywhere near full capacity. Also as a point of interest Princess have reduced the price of their Seacations since release day.

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Are you counting the 250k cabins as full capacity because dont think any of the ships will be sailing anywhere near full capacity. Also as a point of interest Princess have reduced the price of their Seacations since release day.

No , that's on the basis of around 50% capacity, Like I said its only a very rough estimate but there are now lots of sailings this summer.

20 hours ago, Bobblehat71 said:

In addition, P&O may be at a dissadvantage by not offering ports of call. Most other lines including Viking, Saga, RCI, Celebrity, Princess, Cunard and Marella are offering them and whilst some passengers may well prefer a "cruise to nowhere" most will not. Very much a commercial faux pas by P&O imo.

31 minutes ago, Denarius said:

In addition, P&O may be at a dissadvantage by not offering ports of call. Most other lines including Viking, Saga, RCI, Celebrity, Princess, Cunard and Marella are offering them and whilst some passengers may well prefer a "cruise to nowhere" most will not. Very much a commercial faux pas by P&O imo.

We have in mind to book a 4 night Britannia cruise, but the P&O offerings may well change again, so will hold fire for a few weeks. If Spain opens up to Brits they may add a port, or two in Northern Spain.

17 minutes ago, Denarius said:

If ports of call were added on P&O then we would be very tempted,never been to Liverpool or Belfast and to visit in august or september sounds good.Then you have to ask what are the rules going to be,stick to bubbles?,hows that going to work in a city centre with thousands of locals and holiday makers?Hopefully they will allow you to roam on your own,this will get our vote as we have and almost  always will cruise for the destinations.I say,"almost" as the one exception to that rule would be to leisurely cruise around the Norwegian Fjords.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, zap99 said:

If Spain opens up to Brits they may add a port, or two in Northern Spain.

Can't see P&O  offering ports even if Spain opens up. The port charges would have a significant impact on the bottom line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WECRUISEUK said:

If ports of call were added on P&O then we would be very tempted,never been to Liverpool or Belfast and to visit in august or september sounds good.Then you have to ask what are the rules going to be,stick to bubbles?,hows that going to work in a city centre with thousands of locals and holiday makers?Hopefully they will allow you to roam on your own,this will get our vote as we have and almost  always will cruise for the destinations.I say,"almost" as the one exception to that rule would be to leisurely cruise around the Norwegian Fjords.

Sightseeing coach tours only maybe even for UK ports, especially if the locals don't like the idea of strangers who might be contagious.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Can't see P&O  offering ports even if Spain opens up. The port charges would have a significant impact on the bottom line.

Foreign ports are very problematical with the traffic light system. Eire is a complicated case as it is a common travel area with the UK

Just booked Britannia for 29th Aug cruise for 7 nights.  Got a good deal on a suite so I’m super excited as never had a suite before. CAN’T WAIT!!!  
first time on Britannia and 2nd with P&O.  Sailed the Ventura a few years ago and enjoyed it but P&O are not my first choice.  Having the suite did it for me. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, WECRUISEUK said:

Princess have said tours only and I doubt  there would be any difference to that.

I looked at the tours to be offered for Liverpool (near us), but did not see the full details. There was an "Inside Anfield" (I think that was the title) one, so presumably would taken to the stadium for a tour and perhaps general mooch around with commentary, which would be of interest to some.  There was also a Beatles tour, which I assumed would basically be the Beatles bus tour and likely a visit to the museum when other people are not around - go in as a group should be fine as it is a one way system.  Could possibly offer the museums near the cruise dock as well - Maritime museum or museum of Liverpool, or perhaps bussed to St. Georges Hall.  Plenty to do without going through the crowded areas as museums can limit entry and routes around.

I think I also saw Chester mentioned.  As Chester is only about 45 minutes drive (if that), I suspect you would spend some time there and again using my knowledge of the area I would suggest that it may well be something like a walk in certain places, e.g.  the open air amphitheater, the Roman Gardens, a quiet section of the walls and/or perhaps down by the river, Grosvenor Park - they may even book the open air seating area of a pub/cafe while down there for a drink.  Those places mentioned could make a good small circular route in the open air.  There is also the Cathedral and the rows, which would be a bit busier, but could perhaps book one of the historic pubs up by the rows for a drink (there are a few of them).  There is also a museum, though IMO nothing special.  Plenty of options in Chester and could spend a while there, though probably won't as I doubt UK residents would pay for a longer one.  There is probably a tour used from the cruise ships docking in Liverpool, which would be very popular with Americans.  Can probably keep to quieter areas without too much ado, but some days would be easier than others.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tring said:

Princess have said tours only and I doubt  there would be any difference to that.

I looked at the tours to be offered for Liverpool (near us), but did not see the full details. There was an "Inside Anfield" (I think that was the title) one, so presumably would taken to the stadium for a tour and perhaps general mooch around with commentary, which would be of interest to some.  There was also a Beatles tour, which I assumed would basically be the Beatles bus tour and likely a visit to the museum when other people are not around - go in as a group should be fine as it is a one way system.  Could possibly offer the museums near the cruise dock as well - Maritime museum or museum of Liverpool, or perhaps bussed to St. Georges Hall.  Plenty to do without going through the crowded areas as museums can limit entry and routes around.

I think I also saw Chester mentioned.  As Chester is only about 45 minutes drive (if that), I suspect you would spend some time there and again using my knowledge of the area I would suggest that it may well be something like a walk in certain places, e.g.  the open air amphitheater, the Roman Gardens, a quiet section of the walls and/or perhaps down by the river, Grosvenor Park - they may even book the open air seating area of a pub/cafe while down there for a drink.  Those places mentioned could make a good small circular route in the open air.  There is also the Cathedral and the rows, which would be a bit busier, but could perhaps book one of the historic pubs up by the rows for a drink (there are a few of them).  There is also a museum, though IMO nothing special.  Plenty of options in Chester and could spend a while there, though probably won't as I doubt UK residents would pay for a longer one.  There is probably a tour used from the cruise ships docking in Liverpool, which would be very popular with Americans.  Can probably keep to quieter areas without too much ado, but some days would be easier than others.

But surely, once you let cruisers have any interaction with wait staff or shop staff, the whole "bubble" is broken? I always assumed that a bubble excursion was one that meant that you never came close to any local people.  In other words,  a coach tour,  but you can't get off the coach.  

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

But surely, once you let cruisers have any interaction with wait staff or shop staff, the whole "bubble" is broken? I always assumed that a bubble excursion was one that meant that you never came close to any local people.  In other words,  a coach tour,  but you can't get off the coach.  

MSC have walking tours I believe on their Med cruises!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

I think they had an excursion in Italy where you visited a scenic local park, the park was closed to locals when you were in it

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 5:56 PM, MX-Drew said:

I wonder if P&O marketing have got things right at last. I'm booked on Britannia but have not received the email.

Anyone booked on a staycation cruise and HAVE received the email advising them of the cheaper prices?

I had an email from P&O yesterday advising that the price of my staycation cruise has been reduced and so they have reduced the balance I owe accordingly 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, shopaholic6 said:

I had an email from P&O yesterday advising that the price of my staycation cruise has been reduced and so they have reduced the balance I owe accordingly 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Really? what ship and what date etc? My Scotland cruise on Iona was very expensive, especially for single occupancy so I was considering cancelling and re booking if the price was significantly cheaper.

13 hours ago, tring said:

Some interesting ideas you've put forward but i think that walking tours of any kind are a non starter for one main reason.What happens when one of the group needs the toilet?A lot of us aren't able to wait for as long as others and will need to go within 5 or 10 minutes.Your not allowed to break from the group at any time and if you do they could and almost certainly will refuse boarding.For this reason i think the only option is to have excursions on coaches,that seems to be the safe and practical way forward.

Edited by WECRUISEUK

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Really? what ship and what date etc? My Scotland cruise on Iona was very expensive, especially for single occupancy so I was considering cancelling and re booking if the price was significantly cheaper.

It’s the Iona on 7th August - it was reduced by £160 for 2 of us 😃

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

What will happen remains to be seen and any of our opinions will not change that.

Whilst sharing my thoughts I was specifically mentioning potentials which kept away from shopping areas that will indeed be busy, though I do not see why a museum shop cannot be used if served by someone behind a perspex screen.  We are all used to using card payment now and the shopkeeper could be someone who has been vaccinated and also tested, though if wearing a mask and gloves would limit any chance of contracting infection from the cruise passengers themselves.  Likewise with wait staff and also why I mentioned outdoor potentials.  If a tour is to take 2-3 hours there would need to be some access to toilets and likely drinks.

There is a company who run open top buses for Beatles tours and they were mentioned as transport in the MSC video posted above, though will need to consider folk may need to stay in the covered sections if it rains, so allow space.  The timing is also crucial - if tours leave early morning they could go to certain locations before many other tourists turn up, so the premises will be clean and then could be wiped/sprayed down before opening to the general public. The business will not loose custom they could get later in the day then either.  Areas visited could easily be cordoned off - we are well used to some places which now use a one way system now, so it would not seem that strange.

My opinion is that putting people on a coach, particularly for the whole tour, is the worst thing you can do as it would be difficult to prevent infection between the cruise passengers as well as between them and the driver/tour operator.  No access to toilets either, apart from possibly those cramped ones.  It would be extremely difficult to use those in a covid secure way, especially if the coach is moving at the time and who will clean them between each user?  Testing a couple of times pre-cruise will not ensure infection is present within the cruise passengers.  Especially with a Southampton departure many people will have travelled a distance to the port (possibly by public transport), stayed overnight in a hotel and/or taken a taxi to the docks, as well as having visited service stations/cafes/restaurants during their journies.  Hence after an incubation period, they could develop covid at any time. 

We all, I think, look upon these cruises as a trial for when international travel can commence and I suggest they are also a trial for the sort of "shore experiences" that can be offered and how well they work for the safety of both cruise passengers and the local community.  I find it difficult to imagine international travellers will cruise if they were only allowed ashore for a one hour drive around in a coach and in the case of somewhere like Chester, that would not work even if the port was nearer, as the tourist locations are generally not visible from a vehicle due to pedestrianised areas and busy roads.

Barbara

Edited by tring
  • Like 1