Vaccine Passports

jetsfan58

1 minute ago, Radiioman46 said:

I've never had to show any proof of vaxes to go on a cruise, for over 30 cruises. Have you?

Have you cruised to or from Brazil? 

All, none, or any country in the Caribbean could make the vaccine a requirement.

Edited by klfrodo

2 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

NO vaccines are included in your passport.

Your proof of citizenship is 1 passport.

The "proof of Covid vaccine" proposal is completely different and separate from your Citizenship Passport.  The current proposal is just called a "Vaccine" Passport. It could be called "Proof of Vaccination Document". Who knows

But the case that is being made for Vax passports (that's what they are being called)  is new. I've never had to show any proof, or documents listing vaxes that I've had in order to go on a cruise.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

So, you think that these passports will not be used by businesses and maybe even the gov to prohibit ppl?

I've already read stories about public schools not allowing students that haven't been vaxed. The slippery slope is alive and well. 

And that is as it should be. We have a responsibility to our fellow man also. Not just ourselves.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

But the case that is being made for Vax passports (that's what they are being called)  is new. I've never had to show any proof, or documents listing vaxes that I've had in order to go on a cruise.  

Years ago travelers had yellow vaccination booklets in addition to passports. They still exist, afaik.

017-001-00566-5_1.jpg?itok=0Z1Qki-U

• Like 2

I think a big question is whether or not cruising will survive if vaccines are required. I think a lot of people on these boards look at the responses and think they represent the US as a whole. I don’t think that’s the case. If cruises require vaccines I’d estimate that half of their customer base in the US will simply abandon ship. (Ha ha, pun intended) Did you see what happened to RC’s stock when they announced the vaccinated cruises? I think it’s only leveled out because they followed up with damage control the next day. People will speak with their wallets. I think cruising will survive in some form, no doubt, but with likely half as many ships, itineraries, etc. The idea that people who won’t even take a flu vaccine will take an emergency use only, not FDA approved shot that definitively protects neither you or anyone else....it’s a stretch. So for those of you who want to take it, awesome, have fun cruising! For those of us who won’t be taking it, there are other vacations to be had, no big deal. I’m actually only looking around Carnival now because they have not said they’ll require vaccinations. Basically, whichever cruise line doesn’t make me get a shot is the one that will get my business. I’m a life long RC cruiser, but it is what it is, being able to decide for myself is the only way to live.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

For those fluffing for these passports, what exactly is the problem you are trying to solve.  In a very few months, the US will reach some level of herd immunity, making most of this moot.  We are currently not asked for documentation for vaccinations for many diseases - flu, polio, chicken pox, shingles, hepatitis, rubella, mumps, tetanus, etc.  Why and how is COVID different?

So lets assume there is a reasonable and acceptable medical reason to do so (not even close but let's pretend).  How would it work.  I went and got my shots from my PCP in January.  He has my records.  He can release demographics but no more to the government.  And I wont let him.  How would I get on a list?  The only answer is government overreach which will be challenged in court, because the public emergency will not exist anymore (like it really did...?).

So let's assume my name can get on a list.  Who compiles the list?  Who manages it?  Who can verify it and how?  Is the list perfect?  is it up to date?  There are tens of thousands of distribution points by now.  Everybody gets a piece of paper I presume?  What info do I give the shot givers?  What if I give them fake info?  Airlines don't want to manage the list.  Cruise companies don't.  The only folks who will give a ship at that point is the government.

After all that, the Government is going to get it all together within months. 🤣🤣

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Something I haven't seen addressed in the discussion of vaccine passports is the probability that the current vaccine effectiveness has a shelf life of maybe +/- 8 months. These vaccines are not like the vaccines for polio, measles, etc. that can last a lifetime. So what happens when the vaccine effectiveness wears off? Does everyone have to continue getting the vaccine every 6 months or so to keep the passport from expiring? The logistics and supply chain for such a requirement would be completely unmanageable, so if having a vaccine passport is ultimately required for international travel, then it is likely that the international travel industry--and no just the cruise industry--will never recover.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

You can request one, but I suspect the Covid passport will be harder to forge.

Why do I need one of those old yellow cards? I've never been asked to show one either. 

I've got my Covid Vax Card, what else do I need?

• Like 1

After reading 49 previous postings, I guess I'm in the minority about the passports.  For starters, from what I've read about them, they are not mandatory, just as a regular passport is not mandatory.   

I chose to get both shots.  That's my choice.  I was given a smaller than index card (same material) with both shots information written in ink on it.  How long with that piece of paper last?  I would ten times rather have a document that I know when I need it, it will be legible.

Someone mentioned what if you have to get a booster shot.  My guess is that the passport will be like the regular one with pages for stamps to be updated.  As for the government needing info on you, they already know more about you than you do yourself.  I personally have nothing to hide.  I can already be tracked just by having a cell phone.  Google your name sometime.  You'll be amazed at what you'll find.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joeyancho said:

How so?   Or are you being sarcastic? 

One side of the political spectrum claims voter ID requirements are a form of racism because minorities are not able to obtain them. In order to get a vaccine (along with just about anything else you try to do in the USA) you must have some form or ID. Passports are a form of ID. So I wouldn't really call it sarcasm, just pointing out the hypocrisy we're dealing with in today's society.  

Edited by bamaone
  • Like 5

We don't leave home without our driver's license - no matter where we go - to a local store, or inside the U.S. or outside U.S. Putting another hard plastic (vaccination) card next to it in our wallet would not be a big deal. Shouldn't be too hard for the government/state government to mail one out to each person who is vaccinated, as they do medicare/medicaid and drivers license or any other plastic cards people carry with them. (credit cards, library cards, aaa card, etc.).  A bar-coded card that can be scanned by any state/country would be great.

• Like 1

I sure hope those of you who are getting any of the covid vaccines are doing your own research first..Many reports of reactions and deaths out there..It's a personal & private choice..No one should be forced to participate in a clinical trial in order to travel freely or keep their job, especially for a virus that has a 99.6% survival and numerous treatments..just a couple source links below

https://medicalkidnap.com/2021/03/01/death-rates-skyrocket-in-israel-following-pfizer-experimental-covid-vaccines/

https://www.8newsnow.com/news/health/coronavirus-health/virginia-man-suffers-rare-severe-reaction-to-covid-19-vaccine/?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=t.co

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Lil2Angelic said:

I sure hope those of you who are getting any of the covid vaccines are doing your own research first..Many reports of reactions and deaths out there..It's a personal & private choice..No one should be forced to participate in a clinical trial in order to travel freely or keep their job, especially for a virus that has a 99.6% survival and numerous treatments..just a couple source links below

https://medicalkidnap.com/2021/03/01/death-rates-skyrocket-in-israel-following-pfizer-experimental-covid-vaccines/

https://www.8newsnow.com/news/health/coronavirus-health/virginia-man-suffers-rare-severe-reaction-to-covid-19-vaccine/?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=t.co

I’m sure the survival rate of the vaccines will be much higher than 99.6%.  And if I die from the vaccine (still kicking), at least I didn’t pass anything on to my family, friends or co-workers in the process.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

I’m sure the survival rate of the vaccines will be much higher than 99.6%.  And if I die from the vaccine (still kicking), at least I didn’t pass anything on to my family, friends or co-workers in the process.

Nothing is ever 100% risk free.   People die every day from multiple causes.  If you die from an auto accident(God forbid) and have contracted COVID after a vaccine, they will list COVID as a partial cause of death.  But it didn't kill you. And you'll never know if family, friends got COVID later and traced it back to you.  So people need to stop being worryworts over small risks.

Edited by crewsweeper
  • Like 3

If eventually to sail, cruise ships are required to only take vaccinated passengers, there needs to be a mechanism in place to verify that. Unfortunately, that probably means either a certified note form doctor or a piece of paper from a government agency.  Since the CDC is so scared that we're doomed at the moment, if they ever revise their No Sail order, you can guarantee, they will require all sorts of things from cruise lines and passengers.  It's what they do,.

• Like 1

I am amazed that everyone is not freaked out by the idea of a Vaccine passport to conduct business or travel. We used to make fun of the USSR for requiring papers to cross their provinces and now just 30 years later here we are and you are cheering on the endeavor. If you let this happen, this will be abused! 

• Like 8

As soon as our vaccinations were completed, my husband laminated our cards and I put them in our passport holder so we would have proof for travel. We also followed the instructions given to us when we were vaccinated and completed the our states department of human and heath services vaccine portal survey so we are already listed with the CDC.  We have choices, we want to travel and if this is required we have no problem with it.  Cheaper than paying for a funeral.

• Like 7