Gun Shy? A Little Paranoid? Weird?

wrongwaywatson

We're booked on the Ruby in late August to Cabo. Fingers crossed. Then a crossing from NY to Southampton on the QM2 in early December. Thus far, we've had seven cruises canceled on various lines. I was basically fine with all of them until the most recent - an October crossing which I've rescheduled to December. It was canceled about a month ago, and after a year, fatigue had set in. (Also a ticking clock because of cancer. I've lost a year thus far and it's a real question how much further out to realistically schedule things, not to mention whether I will be physically able or allowed to travel at those times.) I was crushed.

I'm REALLY hoping that the August sailing happens. I really need to be back on the seas. It's a little trip to Cabo out of LA. We're not even planning on getting off the ship in Mexico - we've been a few times before and it's a tender port (my husband has mobility issues.) As you may gather, being fans of Atlantic crossings, we love sea days so we're treating this as a relaxing five days at sea. (It should be a no-hassle jaunt. Quick, easy same day flights to/from SF, with a Club Class mini-suite aboard)

Fingers crossed.

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 5

We've had 6 cancelled, 9 if you count the b2b segments separately. I check our 3 currently booked cruises not just daily, but a few times daily. I can't seem to stop myself. 😁

31 minutes ago, MarkBearSF said:

We're booked on the Ruby in late August to Cabo. Fingers crossed. Then a crossing from NY to Southampton on the QM2 in early December. Thus far, we've had seven cruises canceled on various lines. I was basically fine with all of them until the most recent - an October crossing which I've rescheduled to December. It was canceled about a month ago, and after a year, fatigue had set in. (Also a ticking clock because of cancer. I've lost a year thus far and it's a real question how much further out to realistically schedule things, not to mention whether I will be physically able or allowed to travel at those times.) I was crushed.

I'm REALLY hoping that the August sailing happens. I really need to be back on the seas. It's a little trip to Cabo out of LA. We're not even planning on getting off the ship in Mexico - we've been a few times before and it's a tender port (my husband has mobility issues.) As you may gather, being fans of Atlantic crossings, we love sea days so we're treating this as a relaxing five days at sea. (It should be a no-hassle jaunt. Quick, easy same day flights to/from SF, with a Club Class mini-suite aboard)

Fingers crossed.

I surely hope you get to go, and on many after that!  Our SF to Hawaii sailing was to celebrate my finishing my treatments for breast cancer.  

• Like 2

I've had 3 cancelled.  I may be overly optimistic but I have high hopes for my New Year's cruise.  I'm more watching for guidance about can I book private excursions.  I know that probably won't come quickly. 

I had 7 cancelled, have 9 booked, 3 B2B's, one B2B2B.  I'm hopeful for Med + TA November but will not be surprised if it is cancelled.   I know some are talking about starting out with short cruises, that has never been my thing.  Long ago I exhausted my interest in going to the Caribbean.

My others are Baltic + TA, Cali Coastals, Australia/NZ plus a 21 day NZ to San Francisco.

Wrongway, hope your Nov. 2021 sails, too!  My sister is a cancer survivor, she had the radical surgery though!  Best wishes to you!

Edited by susancruzs

9 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

Anyone else sign into Princess every day, just to make sure that there cruise is still there and hasn't been cancelled?  Just me?  LOL  Had a May 2020 cancelled, as well as a May 2021.  Booked for November 16, 2021, hoping it sails!

always log into Personalizer every day to check that my booking is there, due date for balance hasn’t changed and my cabin is the one I booked. All this has changed on previous bookings without getting notified right away. 

• Like 2

I must be gun-shy, paranoid and weird too! Yes, we've had at least six cruises canceled and we even have two itineraries booked in conflict. It's a gamble that at least one will sail!

I check all the information pretty much every day. It's part of my early morning routine.

I verify cruises booked are still there with all the correct attributes. Sometimes they aren't due to mix-ups and being quick with a response usually allows an easy fix.

If I've booked EZ-Air I check that the bookings haven't changed (pretty common with one airline I won't mention but it Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport) and I check to see if prices have been lowered or a better itinerary has become available so I can rebook.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You guys are all paranoid and gun shy! (But not weird).  I check my cruises everyday not because I think they might get cancelled from under my nose, but rather just to daydream about our upcoming cruises.  It's been a year and a half since we last cruised and I need some fantasy time to keep me going.  I am sticking with the "Not weird" assessment.

Don

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I check every day.

After two Celebrity cancellations and their decision to go to cruises of 7 days or less, we have decided to book Princess. I just found out that our 11/6 Panama Canal cruise is the first one scheduled for Crown. If she sails, we'll be on her. If not, I have booked the same cruise for March 2022.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nini said:

Only two cancellations? Try seven.

Most people might find it difficult to feel sorry for someone who can afford 7 cruises.  LOL  Maybe, if it were me, I would just feel blessed.

Judy from SW Florida

1 hour ago, Marelaine said:

I check every day.

After two Celebrity cancellations and their decision to go to cruises of 7 days or less, we have decided to book Princess. I just found out that our 11/6 Panama Canal cruise is the first one scheduled for Crown. If she sails, we'll be on her. If not, I have booked the same cruise for March 2022.

IMO, I think the odds of you going are quite excellent!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jemnibabe said:

Most people might find it difficult to feel sorry for someone who can afford 7 cruises.  LOL  Maybe, if it were me, I would just feel blessed.

Judy from SW Florida

Mind you, these were DUPLICATES!!! We have booked the British Isles cruise now for the THIRD time for May 2022. We booked a TP that was cancelled twice... you get the drift.

Believe me, these were the same ones basically.

13 hours ago, susancruzs said:

I had 7 cancelled, have 9 booked, 3 B2B's, one B2B2B.  I'm hopeful for Med + TA November but will not be surprised if it is cancelled.   I know some are talking about starting out with short cruises, that has never been my thing.  Long ago I exhausted my interest in going to the Caribbean.

My others are Baltic + TA, Cali Coastals, Australia/NZ plus a 21 day NZ to San Francisco.

Wrongway, hope your Nov. 2021 sails, too!  My sister is a cancer survivor, she had the radical surgery though!  Best wishes to you!

7!!!  Wow!!   I'm glad to hear your sister is a survivor.  Unfortunately, I had the surgery, too!  I had chemo, then surgery, then radiation.   Thank you!

Edited by wrongwaywatson

18 hours ago, Jemnibabe said:

Judy from SW Florida

When many of us say we've had 6, 7, 8, 9, etc., cruises cancelled, we don't mean we had that many all booked at once. In our case we had one cancelled, so booked a replacement. The replacement got cancelled, so booked a replacement for it. And on & on. 

5 minutes ago, 1965 said:

When many of us say we've had 6, 7, 8, 9, etc., cruises cancelled, we don't mean we had that many all booked at once. In our case we had one cancelled, so booked a replacement. The replacement got cancelled, so booked a replacement for it. And on & on. 

Same here.

I actually had 2 cruises booked at the same time.  Once for my wife's birthday (Aug. of 2020) and one for our 25th anniversary (May of this year).

The August cruise was cancelled by Celebrity and I got my money back.  The anniversary cruise (with Princess) I cancelled and rebooked for October of this year (with Celebrity), but cancelled and rebooked for Feb. of 2021 (with Princess again).  The anniversary cruise was all essentially the same itinerary, all going through Panama Canal.

I did very briefly have a December 2020 cruise booked as a "back up" to the August cruise, but only for about 2 weeks, so I really don't count it.  :classic_smile:

• Like 1