The Daily for Tuesday Apr 06, 2021

richwmn

Our hike today was wonderful because it was a warm, sunshiny day.  Perhaps a bit too warm, but I'll take it.  

The last picture is trillium just coming up, but not in bloom yet.  The park is a new one to us as we've never been there before.  We try to find a new park each time we hike.  And one rule is that you have to take time to enjoy the scenery.  It isn't a race.  We stop at every bench along the way.

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

• Like 16

20 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

HOWEVER, I've been to all those ports except Ilfracombe.  Has anyone ever heard of Ilfracombe?

Yes! It recently showed up on an episode of escape to the country. Looks like a very pretty area but I had not heard of it before the show. (Season 23)

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'm always in for the cooler climates.  So refreshing!  (but no snow and ice, okay?)

Edited to say that I don't mind the snowy climates at all, but I know @kazuhas had enough after winter is over.  Just thinking of you!

I know, I’m crazy but the temps might not be that bad compared to spring here sometimes.  I will take gloves to be safe 😉 

Have never done the fjords.  Looking forward to comparing them to South America, etc.  The itinerary has two great fjords included and with the UK after, Scotland Ireland, etc we decided why not.

Hopefully all will be good by then.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, superoma said:

Yes! It recently showed up on an episode of escape to the country. Looks like a very pretty area but I had not heard of it before the show. (Season 23)

Interesting.  I just searched for it on my cable TV but it's not on there.  It stated Pluto TV and I don't have that, whatever it is.  Sounds like a good program though.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

I know, I’m crazy but the temps might not be that bad compared to spring here sometimes.  I will take gloves to be safe 😉 

Have never done the fjords.  Looking forward to comparing them to South America, etc.  The itinerary has two great fjords included and with the UK after, Scotland Ireland, etc we decided why not.

Hopefully all will be good by then.

Do bring gloves for when you are standing on deck at the front of the ship with a full breeze on you.  I was cold in the fjords while moving along but it's gorgeous when stopped.  The fjords in Norway are beautiful.  So glad you are getting there to see them.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Do bring gloves for when you are standing on deck at the front of the ship with a full breeze on you.  I was cold in the fjords while moving along but it's gorgeous when stopped.  The fjords in Norway are beautiful.  So glad you are getting there to see them.

I will take gloves.  I doubt I will need them often.  Remember the weather we are used to.  I have been walking the dogs with gloves in hand for the last week in case they are needed and only put the on one hand once.

It’s not warm here - 0 to around 4 F with a wind chill factor, cold damp weather and stinging rain that takes it down to 0 so I think I can handle the fjords 😉 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I was thinking of a more imaginary cruise,  Bora Bora, followed by fjords,  they are beautiful but no more than the inside passage IMO. 

next stop?    

Ah got it.  Bora Bora to the fjords is a dream but it would be nice.

Next stop?  Porto - gorgeous or Cadiz for a private Flamenco show.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kazu said:

How about the Norwegian fjords?  

We’re going there next year for the first time.

You don’t have to be on both segments and Amsterdam is a very pretty city with fantastic, friendly people to arrive in and them transfer to Rotterdam 😉 

Wow Jacqui, that's a great itinerary!  I don't think we could do this one, at least the full 28 days but maybe could pull off the British Isles segment.  I'll keep it in mind!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Wow Jacqui, that's a great itinerary!  I don't think we could do this one, at least the full 28 days but maybe could pull off the British Isles segment.  I'll keep it in mind!

Do keep it in mind.  

Would love it if you were joining us.  We plan to have a good time 🙂 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, superoma said:

This is how Germans really see their beer!

5C8BEA93-2064-4162-A6B7-CA58B1EE0469.jpeg

True story:

Some years ago we went to a Jane Austen tea and the speaker was a food historian who spoke on food in her day. They drank a LOT of beer. Every meal, and much of the fluid intake was beer or ale.

The speaker noted (as you are showing) the vitamin B content is very high for those drinks. And here in California, it is against the law to put the vitamin content on those beverages, so people don’t get the idea they are “health foods”.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Forgot to add - when I said we took the trolley in Oranjestad, I meant we TOOK the trolley..

P1070927.thumb.JPG.631c6fc374c59fa2704b28f286114826.JPG

My mother was a Fraser, and when she was a teenager here in Victoria, Granny sold the house they were living in and they went to live in Europe for a year.   Most of the year they spent in Nice, but they did visit Scotland and England, and my mother had a Fraser dress tartan outfit made - all stitched by hand, so the yards and yards of fabric in the kilt could be re-made as needed.  A couple of years ago, I finally gave it to a cousin who has two daughters who do Scottish dancing.

IMG_1489.thumb.JPG.6f1097dc148fae2f2494f963ead4cf03.JPG

IMG_0372.thumb.JPG.6d7ddf48fac4061f55e1510c83714541.JPG

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Interesting.  I just searched for it on my cable TV but it's not on there.  It stated Pluto TV and I don't have that, whatever it is.  Sounds like a good program though.

Pluto TV is a free streaming app. It came installed on my Vizio tv and is available on Google Play and the Amazon Fire Stick.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the daily reports and lists, photos and humour.

We have been to Oranjestad Aruba, during Panama Canal cruise on the old Statendam.

The Trans Tasman Isolation Free  travel "bubble" wiill begin on April 19th, for Australians and New Zealanders. 

Keep well, stay safe everyone.

• Like 13

16 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Pluto TV is a free streaming app. It came installed on my Vizio tv and is available on Google Play and the Amazon Fire Stick.

I checked my Xfinity (Comcast) cable apps and Pluto TV is shown as free on X1. Guess that means I’ll be checking it out. Thank you. The things we learn on the Daily!

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thank you for the daily reports and lists, photos and humour.

We have been to Oranjestad Aruba, during Panama Canal cruise on the old Statendam.

The Trans Tasman Isolation Free  travel "bubble" wiill begin on April 19th, for Australians and New Zealanders. 

Keep well, stay safe everyone.

Are you planning a cruise?  😀

• Like 3

13 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Hi all,  I'm late today.  Just doing chores before my new neighbor comes over at 10 am for a coffee break.  I don't drink coffee but will have an iced peach tea instead.  She's anxious to get to know some of the neighbors so we'll start with me.  

I'm not a beer drinker but DH worked around it for almost 30 years (and drank it too).  He would bring home his monthly allotment of free beer and couldn't drink it all, so gave it away.  Friends, family and neighbors were happy!  

I've been to Aruba at least three times and stayed in town each time so I enjoy seeing photos of the outside town areas.  I will check in this afternoon and see what photos have been posted and can perhaps add some if they are different.  Almost everybody on CC has done a Caribbean islands cruise so we should see more chiming in today.

With your talk of your husband’s beer allotment, I assume he worked at Anheuser-Busch? We gave away lots of beer over the years. My favorite was the concept of “safety beer” (celebrating a certain amount of accident free hours on the job 😳). Oddly enough I never drank beer until 10 years ago or so (one of the reasons we gave away so much). My daughter introduced me to Amber Bock and I am hooked. I couldn’t believe that in his early years at A-B there was a guy whose only job was beer runner, bringing them beer straight from the line (safety?). Frank worked 40 years there; he has been retired since 1998.

St Louis Sal

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, erewhon said:

That is such wonderful news and an apt reward for both the Australians and New Zealanders for a job well done on their virus handling 👍 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

With your talk of your husband’s beer allotment, I assume he worked at Anheuser-Busch? We gave away lots of beer over the years. My favorite was the concept of “safety beer” (celebrating a certain amount of accident free hours on the job 😳). Oddly enough I never drank beer until 10 years ago or so (one of the reasons we gave away so much). My daughter introduced me to Amber Bock and I am hooked. I couldn’t believe that in his early years at A-B there was a guy whose only job was beer runner, bringing them beer straight from the line (safety?). Frank worked 40 years there; he has been retired since 1998.

St Louis Sal

Yes, safety beer. After a certain number of accident free days, they all received their allotment.  A lot safer to drink at home than at work.  I remember when he started at A-B and the secretary would go around at 4 pm asking everyone what kind of beer they wanted out of the office fridge.  At least they weren't drinking it all day long in the offices!  I wouldn't have wanted to be driving near an A-B parking lot at quitting time when the hourlies got off work after being able to drink while working.  That was just crazy, but once a union leader gets a "privilege" like that into their union contract, it's very hard to pry it back out again.  

• Like 1