NCL Announced Sailing out of DR and Jamaica

idiebabe

NCL will start sailing out of Jamaica and the Dominican Republic (and Greece) starting July.  Christine Duffy announced all June Cruises cancelled (no surprise here) and Carnival may move Ports outside of U.S.  I guess they are not very hopeful with the CDC and U.S. Ports!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/florida-cruise-guide/os-bz-norwegian-cruise-line-return-to-sailing-caribbean-20210406-p7nstod6tnbaxg37lrpiku

Edited by idiebabe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, idiebabe said:

NCL will start sailing out of Jamaica and the Dominican Republic (and Greece) starting July.  Christine Duffy announced all June Cruises cancelled (no surprise here) and Carnival may move Ports outside of U.S.  I guess they are not very hopeful with the CDC and U.S. Ports!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/florida-cruise-guide/os-bz-norwegian-cruise-line-return-to-sailing-caribbean-20210406-p7nstod6tnbaxg37lrpiku

I get a page not found attempting to view the posted linked. 

10 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

It will be very interesting to see demand for these cruises and how well they are able to pull them of.

I suppose another question would be - can US citizens fly to those countries to board those cruises?

Just now, drowelf said:

I get a page not found attempting to view the posted linked. 

That's strange with the link!  Anyway the Orlando paper had a story on it.  Better yet though you can go into NCL and view the Sailing Dates for both the Ports.  They are open for Bookings.  Pricing is pretty good and they pay 2nd Passenger's Air plus they are offering Drink Package, etc.  I haven't sailed them in a very long time and really didn't care for them but I just want to Cruise so have been checking them out.  I'm hoping that Carnival will do the same as Christine Duffy said they are considering it because I like Carnival (although I haven't cruised them in some time either).

2 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

I suppose another question would be - can US citizens fly to those countries to board those cruises?

Yes.  U.S. Citizens have been flying down for AI's.  I've been checking out the NCL Threads on this and one Poster said they flew down out of Newark for an AI and there was no Quarantine, etc.

11 minutes ago, iancal said:

Does this imply that IF there is a covid outbreak of some sort that cruisers will be disembarked in Jamaica or DR for treatment?

That's the question.  Would the ship even be allowed to port in DR or Jamaica with COVID aboard?  Can the ship debark COVID passengers in any other port?  

6 hours ago, idiebabe said:

Huh??!!

To quote Clark Griswold, "If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now."   😮

5 hours ago, idiebabe said:

Yes.  U.S. Citizens have been flying down for AI's.  

AI ?  I can think of two meanings, none of which would make sense.

Can you tell me what it is ? Thanks.

Edited by Boatdrill

Sounds as if CCL is having a change of heart too. Just last month they remained committed to US ports, and today, not so much.  Reminds me of the quote from Godfather III:

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger." (Don Lucchesi)    

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yes, absolutely.  I thought that was a fairly common term.  I guess not.

Yes, it is a common term. However when the newspapers use AI as meaning "artificial intelligence" almost on a daily basis, and the veterinary/medical community uses it as "artificial insemination",  the resort definition isn't always top of mind for everyone.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

Yes, it is a common term. However when the newspapers use AI as meaning "artificial intelligence" almost on a daily basis, and the veterinary/medical community uses it as "artificial insemination",  the resort definition isn't always top of mind for everyone.  

I think it’s pretty safe to assume neither of those definitions weren’t applicable here 😉