Eurodam makes the start with 7-night cruises out of Piraeus, Athens this summer!

Perhaps HAL is still putting together the details before making their announcement.  Seems they may have been caught napping a bit on this one. Hopefully they can make up for it with more interesting itineraries than their competitors. 

(Not that Israel and Cyprus are not interesting, but also not my first choice in the summer months....)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Perhaps HAL is still putting together the details before making their announcement.  Seems they may have been caught napping a bit on this one. Hopefully they can make up for it with more interesting itineraries than their competitors. 

(Not that Israel and Cyprus are not interesting, but also not my first choice in the summer months....)

Yes I agree that is what they are doing.

The press release was regarding a web update on financials for the first quarter presented by Arnold Donald and David Bernstein (C.F.O.) and the current position of the group.

I would think that the first base to plan summer cruises would be to establish a 'Home Port' , register with that port and ensure that refuelling, provisioning etc is possible.  Then, I would think they will look at routes and get agreements from those ports only then would they be in a position to announce the cruises.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Yes I agree that is what they are doing.

The press release was regarding a web update on financials for the first quarter presented by Arnold Donald and David Bernstein (C.F.O.) and the current position of the group.

I would think that the first base to plan summer cruises would be to establish a 'Home Port' , register with that port and ensure that refuelling, provisioning etc is possible.  Then, I would think they will look at routes and get agreements from those ports only then would they be in a position to announce the cruises.  

I hope you are correct as I do not see the Westerdam, which we are booked, making it to the Med this summer. I would much prefer sailing on the Eurodam than not sailing at all.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SummmerInKefalonia said:

Turkey is though closed to cruise ships for this year so Kusadasi is out of the picture.

Turkey is closed to all cruises this year?  Our September cruise is scheduled for Istanbul and Kusadasi.  Any info you have is appreciated, I hadn't heard anything about this (yet).  

16 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Yes Europe would be a much better idea for cash flow. I am not sure of the openness of the ports.  Greece has announced they are open and some countries have announced they are open for their citizens only, Italy has said they want to be open but I don’t think they are officially open.  

I think the Caribbean and Mexico will be open and the Alaska contingent could go there.  I think those places will be busy for American tourists also since they are close. 

Not sure how open Greece is,  I’ve heard locals can’t even go to another island 25 nautical miles away. 

6 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Not sure how open Greece is,  I’ve heard locals can’t even go to another island 25 nautical miles away. 

They announced last week or so that they are open to Americans who are vaccinated.

Being open to Americans who have been vaccinated  may have changed just within the last day.   to the The U.S. embassy in Greece website updated April 7 of this year is very helpful.   Among other things, it shows the Movements Restrictions as well as giving a link to the Greek government's site.  https://gr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

They announced last week or so that they are open to Americans who are vaccinated.

I think what you may have read a couple of weeks ago was Greece's minister for tourism announcing that Greece HOPED to be open for US tourists by around mid-May of this year. However, it has been pointed out that ministers in other departments don't necessarily agree and COVID deaths right now are surging in Greece -- they just surpassed Italy yesterday, I think (and Italy has NOT been doing well, with lockdowns and curfews....)

The EU also has expressed concern about Greece's plans. Since Greece is part of the EU and the EU are not supposed to close their borders to travelers from other EU countries, they have legitimate issues with Greece's plan. It is not clear to me whether the EU has the absolute authority to keep Greece from moving forward though.

At any rate, as of right now, according to the US embassy in Greece, they are NOT open for US travelers. It is pretty definitive:

Entry and Exit Requirements:

• Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? No
    • Greece will currently only allow EU citizens, EU residents, and residents of certain other specific countries to enter. The United States is not one of those countries.  U.S. citizens traveling to Greece will not be permitted to enter unless they meet one of only a few narrow exceptions detailed in the Greek Embassy’s information on entrance into the European Union/Schengen Area There is no projected date when entry will be permitted.  A long visit in a third country will not help you get around EU restrictions.
    • The Embassy is aware that high-level officials have spoken of intentions to facilitate summer 2021 tourism to Greece.  However, there is no projected date when entry will be permitted for residents of the United States.  The U.S. Embassy in Athens cannot give you any assurance regarding whether or when residents of the United States may be allowed to enter Greece.

COVID-19 Information | U.S. Embassy & Consulate in Greece

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, xLibLabLady said:

Being open to Americans who have been vaccinated  may have changed just within the last day.   to the The U.S. embassy in Greece website updated April 7 of this year is very helpful.   Among other things, it shows the Movements Restrictions as well as giving a link to the Greek government's site.  https://gr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Great info! 
exactly my point, there’s a huge difference between being allowed to go and wanting to with all the current restrictions.  As always caveat emptor! 

• Like 1

This is going to be a moving target over the next few months.  No one knows where covid is going.

The big factor for us is NOT whether a country is open to us, it is also very much dependent on what, if any restrictions exist.  

We want to go to Greece to freely move around and spend time on a number of islands on our own with no restrictions.

We have no interest whatsoever in going simply to float around the Med in a ship, make two or three stops, and being restricted to cruise line excursions or to last minute closures altogether.   Or to pay $200 per diem each for doing so. 

This is a great deal for the cruise lines.  They get to enhance their excursion business plus they get all that captive on board spending that they might not otherwise get if cruisers left the ship each day.    And....they burn through some FCC's.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, xLibLabLady said:

I also noticed this section too and thought hmm, what if this quarantine language continues past the April 19, 2021 date?

• All travelers entering Greece through April 19, 2021 are subject to a mandatory seven-day preventive quarantine, as announced January 8, 2021.

48 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Here is the official documentation

Greece

https://travel.gov.gr/#/

16 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Europe is closed to non essential travel. Greece is part of Europe so is also closed to non essential travel.  The Greek tourism minister has expressed a wish for tourists to be welcomed by mid May.

In March 2021 Haris Theoharis is reported as saying:

“We aim to open tourism by 14 May with specific rules and updated protocols,” he said. “Until then, we will gradually lift restrictions if conditions allow.”

Since that speech no restrictions have been lifted. Gradual or otherwise.

Greece is part of the Schengen Area which is also problematic for allowing non EU travelers access to the area, which is closed.

All these 'reports' of the promised opening of Greece are much the same as the 'Quarantine Free Flights' being offered by various airlines from USA to Rome etc.  It is only when you get as far as reading Paragraph 16 subsection 5 - C of the T&C that you see the flights are only quarantine free for those who are permitted to travel for essential reason.

We can dream, but we still need to wait a few more weeks before anything definitive will start to materialize. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Europe is closed to non essential travel. Greece is part of Europe so is also closed to non essential travel.  The Greek tourism minister has expressed a wish for tourists to be welcomed by mid May.

In March 2021 Haris Theoharis is reported as saying:

“We aim to open tourism by 14 May with specific rules and updated protocols,” he said. “Until then, we will gradually lift restrictions if conditions allow.”

Since that speech no restrictions have been lifted. Gradual or otherwise.

Greece is part of the Schengen Area which is also problematic for allowing non EU travelers access to the area, which is closed.

All these 'reports' of the promised opening of Greece are much the same as the 'Quarantine Free Flights' being offered by various airlines from USA to Rome etc.  It is only when you get as far as reading Paragraph 16 subsection 5 - C of the T&C that you see the flights are only quarantine free for those who are permitted to travel for essential reason.

We can dream, but we still need to wait a few more weeks before anything definitive will start to materialize. 

It is not me saying:

SEATTLE, April 6, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Seabourn, the ultra-luxury cruise line, together with the Government of Greece is developing plans to restart Seabourn operations in the Mediterranean with a series of sailings operating round-trip out of Athens beginning July 3, 2021.

46 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It is not me saying:

SEATTLE, April 6, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Seabourn, the ultra-luxury cruise line, together with the Government of Greece is developing plans to restart Seabourn operations in the Mediterranean with a series of sailings operating round-trip out of Athens beginning July 3, 2021.

As has been said many times during this pandemic, the cruise lines deal in optimism. Greece may be open for tourism at some point this summer. But there are a lot of factors that have to be dealt with before that becomes a definite -- the infection/mortality rate and current lockdown and the situation with the other EU countries among them.

But to your earlier statement that Greece is currently open to US tourists -- it isn't.

• Like 1

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

As has been said many times during this pandemic, the cruise lines deal in optimism. Greece may be open for tourism at some point this summer. But there are a lot of factors that have to be dealt with before that becomes a definite -- the infection/mortality rate and current lockdown and the situation with the other EU countries among them.

But to your earlier statement that Greece is currently open to US tourists -- it isn't.

It sounds like they are actively working with the government - so that is good sign.   Personally I think next spring is as early as I want to cruise.  I will travel but I will stay in North America.  There are just too many kinks to work out after this length of time.   But I am all for those who want to venture forth to smooth the road for me and everyone else.  Some people really enjoy being a first adopter.  

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

It sounds like they are actively working with the government - so that is good sign.   Personally I think next spring is as early as I want to cruise.  I will travel but I will stay in North America.  There are just too many kinks to work out after this length of time.   But I am all for those who want to venture forth to smooth the road for me and everyone else.  Some people really enjoy being a first adopter.  

I'm definitely not wanting to be among the first either. But if things start up and go well I could perhaps be persuaded by a good opportunity come late fall. It would have to be in light of declining infections and places actually being open though...

My problem is that I have no real interest in New World destinations. Just want to get back to Europe.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm definitely not wanting to be among the first either. But if things start up and go well I could perhaps be persuaded by a good opportunity come late fall. It would have to be in light of declining infections and places actually being open though...

My problem is that I have no real interest in New World destinations. Just want to get back to Europe.

I gather from your postings that you really enjoy Southern Europe.  My sister has a friend who I have travelled with who adores Italy as much as you do.  I am sure she will be first out of the gate if allowed.  

On 4/7/2021 at 5:13 PM, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Now the question is what about Northern Europe?? Nieuw Statendam final is due in a few days for July 11th sailing and so far crickets from HAL. 

Yeah, I am scheduled on the August 1 cruise out of Amsterdam. Final payment is May 4. I hope we sail but I have doubts about the Netherlands allowing it.

Edited by ChinaShrek