Flights to Rotterdam from Canada

Dismomx5

I've done a few searches but have come up with nothing. I'm considering a cruise that sails out of Rotterdam next year. Being in Canada, what are the options to get there? I expect it to be a long trip, but are there "better" scenarios out there? What have you done in your travelling? Thanks!

We did a Holland America cruise out of Rotterdam a few years ago.  We flew Vancouver to Amsterdam.  I  then hired a car service to drive us to Rotterdam (only took about an hour to drive).  We flew in a couple of days early so we could tour around the area.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Just fly to Amsterdam and go down the train platform and take  the train to Roterdam central, every  1/2 hour. Then take a taxi to the SS Rotterdam and stay 2 nights there and have lunch at Hotel New York, you're off to a great start.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dismomx5 said:

I've done a few searches but have come up with nothing. I'm considering a cruise that sails out of Rotterdam next year. Being in Canada, what are the options to get there? I expect it to be a long trip, but are there "better" scenarios out there? What have you done in your travelling? Thanks!

The main option is to fly to Amsterdam.  The best flights go there.

If you are using Flight Ease, keep your eye on KLM as well as Air Canada.

Since you are in Ontario - if you are close to Toronto (sorry, can’t remember your location), you should be able to get a direct flight or at the worst, one connection.

Our flight from Amsterdam was a direct flight to Toronto and then connection to get home.  Schipol airport is wonderful.  Lovely stores and very comfortable IMO.

There is a train that’s easy to get to take you to Rotterdam but on those trains (like many in Europe) you have to handle your own luggage.  No check in like here in Canada.  If you travel light, it works great.

There are lots of private transfer companies available that will take you to Rotterdam at somewhat reasonable costs.  And of course, if you are on your roll call, you may well find like minded people that will share the cost.

There is also a shuttle service to Rotterdam but it does involve a lot of stops.  You can also book it privately.

Depending on how many days you are coming in pre-cruise, you may open to stay in Amsterdam, but if it’s just a day or 2 I’d go straight to Rotterdam.

The marina and cruise spot there is lovely and you will find the old Rotterdam which is not a hotel.  There are tours available.  You don’t have to stay there.

And of course, the Hotel New York which is the old Holland America headquarters is right on the waterfront.  You can see a bit of it without staying there and the food is supposed to be decent meal wise.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

There’s also a Sheraton attached to the airport.  It’s really easy to use the train to Rotterdam. Both cities are worth your time,  if you can spend a few nights in each place.   Rotterdam is also a good base to easily visit The Hague, Delft and Kinderdijk

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bennybear said:

There’s also a Sheraton attached to the airport.  It’s really easy to use the train to Rotterdam. Both cities are worth your time,  if you can spend a few nights in each place.   Rotterdam is also a good base to easily visit The Hague, Delft and Kinderdijk

Good point on the hotel attached to the airport and the visits from Rotterdam

There is also a Hilton and the HIlton Garden Inn also attached.  

There is also a really nice market type with shops, food, etc.

• Like 2

I've flown twice from Ottawa to catch a cruise out of Rotterdam.  Note:  There are no North American flights to Rotterdam as this airport is for flights within Europe.

The 2X I've flown to Amsterdam I used Iceland Air via Reykjavik.  They have good prices and I booked Saga class.  I did book hotel and transfer with HAL.  Loved the Hilton Rotterdam and very close to city trams and a tourist tram.  Like others have said you could take the train from Amsterdam to Rotterdam IF you can handle your luggage (I could not).  A taxi would be expensive but you could prebook a transfer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheEmerson said:

My current plan is to fly to LHR then take the Eurostar to Rotterdam.  

That will take longer and involves two bordercrossings. UK is no longer in the EU. Flying direct to Amsterdam and then a short , max 1 hr, transfer to Rotterdam.

9 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

I've flown twice from Ottawa to catch a cruise out of Rotterdam.  Note:  There are no North American flights to Rotterdam as this airport is for flights within Europe.

The 2X I've flown to Amsterdam I used Iceland Air via Reykjavik.  They have good prices and I booked Saga class.  I did book hotel and transfer with HAL.  Loved the Hilton Rotterdam and very close to city trams and a tourist tram.  Like others have said you could take the train from Amsterdam to Rotterdam IF you can handle your luggage (I could not).  A taxi would be expensive but you could prebook a transfer.

Thanks, Sue. As much as I'd love to try the train, hubby isn't quick and my arthritis can cause problems at time, so wielding the luggage is not in my wheelhouse. DD has flown Iceland Air several times (she did her masters in Finland), so would approve that choice. I've done the FlightEase so perhaps I'll add the hotel and transfer as well when the time comes. 🙂 .

Both Amsterdam and Rotterdam are interesting cities well worth viewing.

From AMS we've used transfers and we've used the trains.  If using the train and hiking your luggage, note that there are commuter trains with very little luggage space, and ordinary trains with more space.  Select accordingly.  Remember, AMS is a an intermediate stop between the two cities, and you are encouraged to board swiftly.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jakkojakko said:

That will take longer and involves two bordercrossings. UK is no longer in the EU. Flying direct to Amsterdam and then a short , max 1 hr, transfer to Rotterdam.

I am fully aware of the checkpoint at St Pancras and it will take longer.  Since this is a vacation if I am flying to Europe then spending a few days on land is fine with me.  Also the train trip on the Continent will be a beautiful sight to enjoy.

• Like 1

Check with Air Transat.  I've been checking pricing and their Club Class is far less than Premium Economy on Air Canada.

I don't know if FlightEase uses Air Transat but Princess does so I'm assuming HAL will as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Anubi said:

Check with Air Transat.  I've been checking pricing and their Club Class is far less than Premium Economy on Air Canada.

I don't know if FlightEase uses Air Transat but Princess does so I'm assuming HAL will as well.

In my albeit limited experience on FlightEase with HAL - I haven't seen air transat come up as an option (although I know they fly the routes we are looking at)

It would be great if they did - and maybe someone else has had better luck?

I am tempted to skip FlightEase for May 2022 to Amsterdam as Air Transat pricing is very attractive (and we are sitting on credit with them).  We have a cruise in December from Florida but will only use flightease for fear of weather  delay issues with the flights.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rodndonna said:

In my albeit limited experience on FlightEase with HAL - I haven't seen air transat come up as an option (although I know they fly the routes we are looking at)

It would be great if they did - and maybe someone else has had better luck?

I am tempted to skip FlightEase for May 2022 to Amsterdam as Air Transat pricing is very attractive (and we are sitting on credit with them).  We have a cruise in December from Florida but will only use flightease for fear of weather  delay issues with the flights.

We did  FlightEase booked flights on AirTransat for our flight to/from Rome in 2019. While I was leery, all went well, although the transfer in Montreal was a long walk for us with just a little time due to late departure in Toronto, so a wee bit rushed and nerve-wracking. But....we made it. 😄 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

We did  FlightEase booked flights on AirTransat for our flight to/from Rome in 2019. While I was leery, all went well, although the transfer in Montreal was a long walk for us with just a little time due to late departure in Toronto, so a wee bit rushed and nerve-wracking. But....we made it. 😄 

Thanks  Dismox,

I've gone back and tried again. I can select AirTransat as preferred airline but it still doesn't bring them in as  an option. I am wondering if in the times when Transat Holidays packages flight/cruises, they then  allow those flights to be booked through FlightEase and EZAir since they have to commit to delivering those flights to the destinations for the cruises? They are not doing cruise packages (yet) so maybe that is why the flights are not available right now.

Not sure how AirTransat is going now that the deal with Air Canada broke down - but we have used them many times and have always had good experiences so hoping they survive all this.

29 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I wouldn’t be in a rush to book Transat,  there is too much risk IMO.  Also I would highly recommend you try an airline with a Dreamliner,  the plane is really comfortable.  

We have credits with AirTransat from a package holiday that I would like to use sooner rather than later (because of the risk) so hoping they are still around May 2022. 

Without that and given a choice - for sure Dreamliners are nice and we now always have a soft spot for them as our visit to Boeing a few years ago we were  able tour them being assembled (-:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

Thanks!  We have a fall back but Air Transat is our first choice.