Oceania current policy on private shore excursions vs ship’s excursions?

Funbrit

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I guess you were pretty fortunate.  My July cruise was cancelled on April 6.  I'm still patiently waiting for the credit on my card.  But as I said, I'm being patient.  (US purchase through a TA, O billed my card directly.)

No doubt, O informed you of the minimum time to expect a refund. 

14 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No doubt, O informed you of the minimum time to expect a refund. 

No, they didn't give a time frame.  This was the only reference O made to refunds in the cancellation e-mail.  "All reservations under deposit or final payment with a credit card, check, or bank wire will automatically receive a full (100%) refund of all funds that have been applied to your reservation."  There was no further info regarding refunds.  I'm not complaining, I was just remarking that you were pretty fortunate to get such quick refunds.  Not getting the refund right away isn't going to affect my ability to pay the rent or buy formula for the baby...😄

This is very much an issue that will decide when we'll cruise again. We're familiar with a goodly number of Mediterranean ports, either from previous cruises and, in more recent years, from land based holidays. I've no real interest in doing any tour in, say, Barcelona or Palma, as I've seen the main sights on several occasions. I do want to get off the ship and wander through a city I know quite well, have a nice lunch and come back to the ship for a siesta. If I'm tied to only leaving the ship on an excursion, I'll probably leave cruising until some time in the future. Of course, that depends on which ports are visited on the cruise - if there's places I don't know well, I'd be happy to take a ship's excursion.

This is not intended as a criticism, either of O or the destination countries - I am aware that the former wants to keep its customers safe and that the latter wants to keep its population safe from tourists.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harters said:

If I'm tied to only leaving the ship on an excursion, I'll probably leave cruising until some time in the future.

I'm desperate and weird. As long as it's deemed safe would do just about anything to get on an O boat again, including staying aboard for 3 weeks.

• Like 3

For those that do not want to do "bubble" tours  it may be prudent to just not cruise  in the foreseeable future

Most cruise lines  are going to be strict on the tour situation until all Countries  are safe to  travel to & have open touring allowed

It may not be the cruise lines decision to keep people on the same bus   but the port they are visiting

I am not interested in  bus tours  so we are not booking anything  until we are sure we can  wander freely without  the virus  being an issue

JMO

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I'm desperate and weird. As long as it's deemed safe would do just about anything to get on an O boat again, including staying aboard for 3 weeks.

I know you have a special situation but what about an all-inclusive resort?

2 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks but dh's fondest wish is to get on a boat. It may be the last time and in his heart he knows it.

I know it is not the same but what about   a river cruise  with AQSC   they are sailing now on the Mississippi

At least you will going someplace sooner  😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

I know it is not the same but what about   a river cruise  with AQSC   they are sailing now on the Mississippi

At least you will going someplace sooner  😉

He knows what boat he's on. It's either O or Windstar- he carries around brochures. Thanks but no alternative. It could happen on W before O, so I'll just keep hoping.

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

No, they didn't give a time frame.  This was the only reference O made to refunds in the cancellation e-mail.  "All reservations under deposit or final payment with a credit card, check, or bank wire will automatically receive a full (100%) refund of all funds that have been applied to your reservation."  There was no further info regarding refunds.  I'm not complaining, I was just remarking that you were pretty fortunate to get such quick refunds.  Not getting the refund right away isn't going to affect my ability to pay the rent or buy formula for the baby...😄

I certainly understand the frustration. But, my experience with, and treatment by, O during Covid times has been nothing less than exemplary.

From the accommodating crew on Nautica’s pre-hiatus February 2020 cruise to home office staff/managers (many working under necessarily restrictive conditions), you couldn’t ask for a better outcome during these unusual times.

And it wasn’t just quickly receiving every dollar (cash and FCC) due to us related to one modified and two cancelled 2020 cruises (plus bonus FCCs for inconvenience).

Additionally, every one of my REASONABLE (and documented)  policy exception requests (related to FCC deadlines et al.) were approved  making rebookings/cruise transfers to 2022-23 pretty much flawless.

Of course, we passengers also have some responsibilities in making this work.

First among them is reading/understanding the T&Cs of your ticket contract(s) with both O and your TA.

Second is some patience and understanding regarding what are extremely unusual circumstances related to Covid restrictions and resulting reasonable delays in responsiveness/resolution. 

Third is knowing who/what else may be responsible for any problems. For example, the fiasco of non-US passengers in countries where it is not uncommon to have your CC billed by a TA rather than O and then be subject to that TA’s delaying the refund already provided to them by O.

Fourth, perhaps most importantly(?), is appropriate documentation and clear communication related to any requests for exceptions to the T&Cs -particularly as regards FCC “book by/cruise by” deadlines extensions. Let’s be honest: O is not going to give you an unspecified FCC extension. Pick your future cruise and then ask for FCC application (the right TA can be helpful here).

Fifth (and with the understanding that this may be difficult for some folks), acquire/improve/master your negotiating skills.  If this is a foreign concept to you, consider spending a few hours with a good book: https://www.pon.harvard.edu/shop/getting-to-yes-negotiating-agreement-without-giving-in/

All this said: If refund et al. things don’t reasonably work out as they truly should, you have other options: 

File a well documented claim with your CC company.

Formally complain to your State’s Department of Consumer Affairs. (If you are a Californian, always make sure that your TA [regardless of location] is a registered with the California Secretary of State as a “Seller of Travel.”
Communicate with trusted/effective travel ombudsmen like Christopher Elliott (elliott.org)

I hesitate to recommend contacting an attorney or going to small claims court for all of the obvious reasons.

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not weird.

Some folks just enjoy going to sea. 

Sea Fever

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.
  •  
  •  
  • Our one time poet laureate John Masefield knows this feeling well
  •  
  •  

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

It may not be the cruise lines decision to keep people on the same bus   but the port they are visiting

I am not interested in  bus tours  so we are not booking anything  until we are sure we can  wander freely without  the virus  being an issue

Further to this point, I think there will be countries which will allow free range roaming from day one of cruising starting.

For these counties, if there is such a risk that "bubble" tours are seen as required, then the cruise ships will not even be approved to visit in the first place.

Also, as I've mentioned before....there are ports (prime sites) where it just doesn't seem possible to keep ship excursions separate from other tourists.

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

He knows what boat he's on. It's either O or Windstar- he carries around brochures. Thanks but no alternative. It could happen on W before O, so I'll just keep hoping.

hopefully it works out  for you

It was just a thought

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I certainly understand the frustration. But, my experience with, and treatment by, O during Covid times has been nothing less than exemplary.

From the accommodating crew on Nautica’s pre-hiatus February 2020 cruise to home office staff/managers (many working under necessarily restrictive conditions), you couldn’t ask for a better outcome during these unusual times.

And it wasn’t just quickly receiving every dollar (cash and FCC) due to us related to one modified and two cancelled 2020 cruises (plus bonus FCCs for inconvenience).

Additionally, every one of my REASONABLE (and documented)  policy exception requests (related to FCC deadlines et al.) were approved  making rebookings/cruise transfers to 2022-23 pretty much flawless.

Of course, we passengers also have some responsibilities in making this work.

First among them is reading/understanding the T&Cs of your ticket contract(s) with both O and your TA.

Second is some patience and understanding regarding what are extremely unusual circumstances related to Covid restrictions and resulting reasonable delays in responsiveness/resolution. 

Third is knowing who/what else may be responsible for any problems. For example, the fiasco of non-US passengers in countries where it is not uncommon to have your CC billed by a TA rather than O and then be subject to that TA’s delaying the refund already provided to them by O.

Fourth, perhaps most importantly(?), is appropriate documentation and clear communication related to any requests for exceptions to the T&Cs -particularly as regards FCC “book by/cruise by” deadlines extensions. Let’s be honest: O is not going to give you an unspecified FCC extension. Pick your future cruise and then ask for FCC application (the right TA can be helpful here).

Fifth (and with the understanding that this may be difficult for some folks), acquire/improve/master your negotiating skills.  If this is a foreign concept to you, consider spending a few hours with a good book: https://www.pon.harvard.edu/shop/getting-to-yes-negotiating-agreement-without-giving-in/

All this said: If refund et al. things don’t reasonably work out as they truly should, you have other options: 

File a well documented claim with your CC company.

Formally complain to your State’s Department of Consumer Affairs. (If you are a Californian, always make sure that your TA [regardless of location] is a registered with the California Secretary of State as a “Seller of Travel.”
Communicate with trusted/effective travel ombudsmen like Christopher Elliott (elliott.org)

I hesitate to recommend contacting an attorney or going to small claims court for all of the obvious reasons.

Wow! Get a grip.  All I said was you were fortunate to get a refund so soon.  Who mentioned anything about attorneys or CC charge backs?  Have a cup of tea.

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Wow! Get a grip.  All I said was you were fortunate to get a refund so soon.  Who mentioned anything about attorneys or CC charge backs?  Have a cup of tea.

Wasn’t meant for you specifically. I understand the frustration of PEOPLE IN GENERAL regarding the current state of the industry.

Moreover, remember that lots of folks (many new to Oceania) read these posts. 
Just doing my best to help people make informed decisions.

Hopefully, you’ll do the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

After being stuck home and being scared of contracting covid, many people want to resume traveling.  Great thought.  Count me in. Not sure we are there yet.  This week we took a ride to a small town about 2 hours from my home.  It is a quaint town with many shops and cafes.  Checked the town website. It was dated April 2021.  Claimed that many places were open including the visitor center with open restrooms. Wrong.  There were only a few open stores,. The others were either closed or boarded up.  Even the town visitor center was shut. No restrooms.  We drove out of town looking for a restroom. even went into a McDonald’s.  Sorry only take out, no restrooms.   That seems to be a new thing. No restrooms.  This makes traveling a real challenge.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

After being stuck home and being scared of contracting covid, many people want to resume traveling.  Great thought.  Count me in. Not sure we are there yet.  This week we took a ride to a small town about 2 hours from my home.  It is a quaint town with many shops and cafes.  Checked the town website. It was dated April 2021.  Claimed that many places were open including the visitor center with open restrooms. Wrong.  There were only a few open stores,. The others were either closed or boarded up.  Even the town visitor center was shut. No restrooms.  We drove out of town looking for a restroom. even went into a McDonald’s.  Sorry only take out, no restrooms.   That seems to be a new thing. No restrooms.  This makes traveling a real challenge.  

We’re soon heading up the coast to oceanside Albion to stay for a few days at our favorite inn in Mendocino County (which today enters the less restrictive “yellow tier” of Covid regulations).

It’s about time!

• Like 1

At least this is some positive information after the NCLH announcement this morning.  Maybe there will be more to be shared soon as I understand there is a Webinar scheduled for Travel Agents on Friday afternoon with the VP’s. 

Very interesting about the NCL tour policy. EU vs CDC policies so since any sailings coming soon are not subject to the CDC guidelines, I guess the ball is in each countries court for specific requirements.