Oceania current policy on private shore excursions vs ship’s excursions?

Funbrit

1 hour ago, patty1955 said:

NCL's new policy states:

"Beyond the Port

Guests are free to explore ports of call on their own, according to protocols in each specific port, and can purchase shore excursions as they wish."

Newly posted on the O website: 

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/health

Bye bye antivaxxers!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Bye bye antivaxxers!

I suspect they will have to adapt the policy of requiring every guest to be vaccinated, to allow for those who cannot be vaccinated. For example, there are no plans as yet, here in the UK, to vaccinate children, pregnant women or some others with medical conditions that prevent vaccination.  The way forward is probably along the lines Israel's Green Certificate or the digital certificate being devised by the European Union. Both provide for those who can evidence a recent PCR test or can evidence having antibodies due to having had the virus to be treated in the same way as those who have had the vaccine.

But I agree with your basic sentiment. Whatever is finally agreed should give no comfort to the antivaxxers.

18 minutes ago, Harters said:

I suspect they will have to adapt the policy of requiring every guest to be vaccinated, to allow for those who cannot be vaccinated. 

But I agree with your basic sentiment. Whatever is finally agreed should give no comfort to the antivaxxers.

According to that NCL page: "

Mandatory Vaccinations Against Covid-19 on Initial Voyages

"Cruises with embarkation dates through October 31, 2021:
All guests sailing aboard cruises with embarkation dates through October 31, 2021, are required to be fully vaccinated, at least 2 weeks prior to departure, in order to board. Vaccines combined with multi-layered and robust preventative health and safety measures, including universal COVID-19 testing prior to embarkation, will help us provide a uniquely safe and healthy vacation environment that we believe exceeds all other vacation choices on land and at sea. Each guest must submit proof they have completed the full cycle of required doses for the vaccine administered at least 2 weeks prior to their sail date. Guests who are not old enough to be vaccinated or otherwise not eligible to be vaccinated will not be allowed on these sailings."

At least until November 1, no allowances are being made for anyone not fully vaccinated.

Norwegian Cruise Line | Sail Safe | Health & Safety Protocols (ncl.com)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Newly posted on the O website: 

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/health

If you scroll down on that link, here's what O says at the moment about shore excursions - not yet as definitive as the NCL language - it's a pop-up, so I don't think I can post a link to just this language...oh well, copy & paste works 🙂

"Destinations, Itineraries & Shore Excursions [learn more]
STRATEGIC ITINERARY DEVELOPMENT & SHORE PARTNERS
We constantly monitor the health environment across the globe and will modify or cancel itineraries to affected areas as needed
We’re partnering with our local destinations and tour operators to extend our comprehensive health & safety protocols to shore."

38 minutes ago, Harters said:

I suspect they will have to adapt the policy of requiring every guest to be vaccinated, to allow for those who cannot be vaccinated. For example, there are no plans as yet, here in the UK, to vaccinate children, pregnant women or some others with medical conditions that prevent vaccination.  The way forward is probably along the lines Israel's Green Certificate or the digital certificate being devised by the European Union. Both provide for those who can evidence a recent PCR test or can evidence having antibodies due to having had the virus to be treated in the same way as those who have had the vaccine.

I don't know. I'm thinking about things like drivers licenses. Just because you want one doesn't mean you can get one. I remember when my late mother-in-law had a minor stroke. Her doctor notified DMV and her license was revoked.

• Thanks 1

Our next cruise is with Viking in July . It originates and stays in Bermuda. Not everything is in writing, but here are some of the requirements:

1. All passengers and crew must provide proof of vaccination 14 days prior to sail date.

2. Must have negative Covid test within 3 days of arrival in Bermuda (required by Bermuda)

3. Mandatory Covid test on arrival to Bermuda.

4. Mandatory Covid test on day 4.

5. Not allowed to leave the ship except for authorized Viking excursions.

6. Face masks required in public spaces except while dining  or drinking.

7. Reservations required in the main dining room and specialty restaurants.

8. Buffet will change to table service.

9. Anyone observed having fun will be admonished and confined to their cabin (I added this one)🤗

I am sure that Oceania and others will be following these early cruises with intense interest. Hopefully, little by little we will get back to “normal” cruising.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, babysteps said:

If you scroll down on that link, here's what O says at the moment about shore excursions - not yet as definitive as the NCL language - it's a pop-up, so I don't think I can post a link to just this language...oh well, copy & paste works 🙂

"Destinations, Itineraries & Shore Excursions [learn more]
STRATEGIC ITINERARY DEVELOPMENT & SHORE PARTNERS
We constantly monitor the health environment across the globe and will modify or cancel itineraries to affected areas as needed
We’re partnering with our local destinations and tour operators to extend our comprehensive health & safety protocols to shore."

The NCL site says you can explore ports on your own. Oceania's site really says nothing close to that. I'm disappointed. I hope things change before our December Marina cruise.

4 hours ago, patty1955 said:

NCL's new policy states:

"Beyond the Port

Guests are free to explore ports of call on their own, according to protocols in each specific port, and can purchase shore excursions as they wish."

That is for NCL cruises. As of today, there is no language like this on Oceania's website. 

38 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Just spoke to Bob Binder Oceanias policy is you can tour with whoever you want to..do not have to be on Oceanias tours..

Jancruz1

Thanks for this timely update Jan.  This takes away any thought of canceling our December Marina cruise.  

1 hour ago, tgg said:

Thanks for this timely update Jan.  This takes away any thought of canceling our December Marina cruise.  

So does that mean you can go off on your own?

1 hour ago, tgg said:

"...do not have to be on Oceania's tours"  certainly means that to me.

But the posters shared "

Just spoke to Bob Binder Oceanias policy is you can tour with whoever you want to..do not have to be on Oceanias tours.."

"tour with whoever you want to" does that mean that you have to tour with some body? I hope not.

I wonder if the ports  they visit  will have a rules for passengers going ashore  ?

I have not seen any studies that say  just because you are vaccinated that you cannot pick up the virus & spread it  onshore  or back onboard

JMO

42 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I wonder if the ports  they visit  will have a rules for passengers going ashore  ?

Yes they will. 

Also, those rules may change on the day of arrival during Pratique.

The situation both on land and on the ship could necessitate a short notice change in what is expected. 

As always, flexibility will be key.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Inevitable.  With regard to Covid, I cannot see a country deciding to have different rules for tourists entering their country, just because they are entering it from a cruise ship, as opposed to a land or air entry. Clearly the different rules that countries may have, and the speed with which they may chnage, is going to be a major issue for the restart of cruising.

• Like 1

Having been in regular communications with tour operators in South America, here is what they are saying:

Everyone entering the country will have to be vaccinated.

The government has given all licensed tour operators strict procedures which must be adhered to. Those procedures include cleanliness and regular sanitizing of the vehicles and maximum capacity of each vehicle. Rules  include everything from a 40 passenger tour bus to a 4 passenger van.

Current protocols require all guides and passengers wear masks at all times except when eating and drinking.

Not sure of the implementation, but it appears that groups will have to stay together as packs. Maybe like Russia, not totally sure. The tour operator/guide will then keep separation off groups. Entrances into museums and churches, for example, will be staggered and free roaming from one’s group isn’t allowed inside the venues.

I’m guessing that everything will be pretty well defined by the governments by the time we get there.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 12:40 PM, Daniel A said:

All things being equal, I wouldn't mind just taking a cruise just out to Great Stirrup Cay for a day or two.  It could be a 3 or 4 day voyage for that matter.

And everyone would spend thousands and go through massive hospital-like-experience steps (doctor's signed questionnaire, test before leaving, test before boarding, test before coming back) to fly around the country being non-stopped masked for 3-8 hours just to "enjoy" 3 days of fully restrictive cruise (again masking everywhere, staying away from others, not able to communicate, temperature checks, limited activities, most likely no sauna (a big part (20%) of cruising for me), limited shore tours) "vacation"?  It is likely purposely mentally torturing ("the action or practice of inflicting severe pain or suffering on someone as a punishment ") yourself.  To me it IS a punishment, not a holiday.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 1:39 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

So, look on the first page of the “shore excursions.pdf” you received with your Oceania invoice and it will state how many tours you minimally need for the 25% YWYW discount. Subtract the number of your O Life choices and the difference is the additional tours you need to buy at 25% less than the retail price.

I’m sorry.  I just can’t find that number in this document.  I can’t believe I’m missing it. 

5 minutes ago, jeno said:

I’m sorry.  I just can’t find that number in this document.  I can’t believe I’m missing it. 

On the first page of my shore excursions.pdf is says "Your World Collection Package
Your World Collection provides the flexibility for you to custom design a personalized, value-packed collection of excursions by allowing you to select the exact
number of tours you want to take from the entire portfolio. Best of all, you will save 25% off a la carte prices when you reserve a minimum of 5 shore excursions."